• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
As long as Japanese devs stick with Steam and don't get suckered into this. I will survive. But still, this is some scary shit.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like how epic is doing this. I am not against other stores but money hatting is terrible way to do it.

P.s I only started chatting in the other thread as it was the only one that popped up in the search bar.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ubistore doesnt support paypal in my region, so I guess I'll never play The Division 2 until they either sell it anywhere else or they add Paypal as a payment method.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. So far all developers and publishers have been quiet about their sales on EGS. Epic has been oddly silent too, despite having the guy who did his best to show how many people owned Steam games through Steamspy. Epic couldn't convince the Fortnite crowd to buy games from their store.

Hopefully this is a reminder to all other publishers and developers that releasing games exclusively in one store is stupid and bad business decision. See Thronebreaker; CPRD had to release it on Steam since sales were low on GOG. Hell, even on consoles, third parties are only releasing multiplats these days.

I wonder if there is an NDA on this. Remember the early days of Switch eShop and how happy devs would Tweet how well their games sold shortly after their release? Was expecting to see similar for EGS but so far crickets...

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is an NDA on this. Remember the early days of Switch eShop and how happy devs would Tweet how well their games sold shortly after their release? Was expecting to see similar for EGS but so far crickets...
Epic stated that the devs were allowed to publish the data if they so want, same as Steam.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
This is the worst thing to happen for PC gaming in the last few years, I hope it fails miserably so they rethink their strategy and actually make a steam alternative ...

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Massive are the devs, Ubi are the publishers. Or am I confused about something?
Ubisoft owns Massive

This is the worst thing to happen for PC gaming in the last few years, I hope it fails miserably so they rethink their strategy and actually make a steam alternative ...
That's the problem, this is their strategy towards building a Steam alternative. it's starve the beast, so to speak, by buying up content so Steam can't sell it and implement features as times goes on, many of which don't iterate at all on Steam.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but Massive wouldn't be the ones who made this deal is the point.
Do you think Epic are lying when they said that the purpose of Epic store is to advance the cause of all developers? Were that true, surely this deal would have been made in conjunction with consulting with Massive?

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but Massive wouldn't be the ones who made this deal is the point.
You're acting like Massive would be treated any different than UbiMontreal or Montpellier. I'm sure even at some of the indies that signed on to EGS exclusivity, there are people who don't like it, but it's not like they have a choice. In Massive's case they are ubisoft and Ubi signed on, so it really doesn't matter unless there's a massive exodus (ahem) of people over it. They're going to toe the line.

We don't have to like it ,and neither do they individually, but if they want to keep working there, they're not going to come out and shit on Ubi proper in public over it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You're acting like Massive would be treated any different than UbiMontreal or Montpellier. I'm sure even at some of the indies that signed on to EGS exclusivity, there are people who don't like it, but it's not like they have a choice. In Massive's case they are ubisoft and Ubi signed on, so it really doesn't matter unless there's a massive exodus (ahem) of people over it. They're going to toe the line.

We don't have to like it ,and neither do they individually, but if they want to keep working there, they're not going to come out and shit on Ubi proper in public over it.
I don't understand... I didn't really say anything that warrants this reply.

My point was that boycotts, while obviously fair given the situation, will impact Massive negatively, and that's just shit as they've done such a good job.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

My point was that boycotts, while obviously fair given the situation, will impact Massive negatively, and that's just shit as they've done such a good job.
I mean, boycotts are always going to affect third party (or heck in this case elements from inside one party that had no say or fault in this whole mess). That is the sad truth of an interconnected world.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

And I'm asking why it matters that Massive, who is owned wholly by the people who made the decision deserve to be spared just because they did a good job? A boycott is always going to have collateral damage, and if 4A games, who arent even owned by their publisher aren't spared for basically the same thing; why should an Ubisoft subsidiary?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm asking why it matters that Massive, who is owned wholly by the people who made the decision deserve to be spared just because they did a good job? A boycott is always going to have collateral damage, and if 4A games, who arent even owned by their publisher aren't spared for basically the same thing; why should an Ubisoft subsidiary?
Because it sucks they'e being negatively affected by a shit decision by Ubi and Epic?

ANY dev affected by this is unfortunate, it's a shit situation.

Update - Pulled from third-party stores

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Confirmed pulled now I guess, even from stores that didn't mention it was going to be pulled.

The Humble Store page now just redirects to the homepage.

WinGameStore looks like this now:
WXNaENK.png

But looked like this before:
Mk24KZa.png

I think it's no coincidence that Epic are charging £49.99 for it, rather than the £40.99 launch discount and £45.49 list price WinGameStore had it for.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Epic are lying when they said that the purpose of Epic store is to advance the cause of all developers? Were that true, surely this deal would have been made in conjunction with consulting with Massive?
Of course I think they're lying. The point of the store is to gain a lasting foothold on PC gaming for after Fortnite starts not being as popular.

They're not running a charity. Every pro dev decision is meant to court publishers into their system.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Well its not that this was a secret at all. I got it from a 3rd party but this exclusive launcher stuff isnt good for the consumer at all. Give me the option to buy it from where i want to. Make it more expansive on steam couse of the cut they take in comparison to epic i dont care. But just give me the option

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its available on CDKeys and that is good enough
They are cheaper than Uplay(without using Coins) and the most important completely legit.
In the end it plays through Uplay anyway

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
Boycotting has a negative effect on th dev, and they didn't cause this. If you're okay with that it's fine, but it should be considered.

Why should any care about the devs, consumers should only care about how it affects themselves, not anybody else. Is that selfish, yes, but the only person who looks out for consumers are consumers themselves, not these companies.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Boycotting has a negative effect on th dev, and they didn't cause this. If you're okay with that it's fine, but it should be considered.

No one really needs to boycott anything. You just place the game in your priority list, and if the publisher/devs adds extra hurdles for you to play it, it will naturally take lower place on your priority list as a result of that.

We don't owe any dev/publishers any loyalty that places our own priorities lower then than theirs. If they want our business, they need to seek it out. It's a two sided relationship, not them just doing stuff and saying "deal with it".

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Digital distribution and digital licensing rights will become more and more confusing as time goes on. I'm not looking forward at all to that aspect of video games in the future.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Digital distribution and digital licensing rights will become more and more confusing as time goes on. I'm not looking forward at all to that aspect of video games in the future.
There's nothing really confusing about this though. It's just companies engaging in extremely anti consumer behaviour.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing really confusing about this though. It's just companies engaging in extremely anti consumer behaviour.
What I was trying to say was, that it's going to be more complicated to know what consumers actually own in terms of licensing with video games, if that makes sense.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Kind of. I am not at all amused by Epic being anti-consumer as fuck. I am quite amused by the sudden no-show of most fans of "competition" in this thread.

Trust me im constantly arguing in the sales discord about this topic despite every anti-consumer move Epic pulls. Too many boil it down to "lul steam fanboi".

Very funny to see the lack of defense force at the moment.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Tim Sweeney and fuck anyone who stans Epic and their shitty store. The sooner it dies, the better for the PC Gaming community.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
3rd party key sites are what allow me to game, I can't afford to pay £50 for one game, but £30 is doable.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Would you hold the same stance regarding THQ? Boycotts always affect others not responsible. It comes with the territory. We don't really need this explained every time a boycott is discussed.