• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Good stream. My highlights:
  • First off, props to Massive - they are working from home, have a toxic subset of the community this week and are still working on not just State of the Games, but also next week's patch and TU9 (coming end of the month!). Really think people forget this. Sure they get frustrated with bugs, but this is a dev team working during a pandemic with daily and weekly updates to the community and the game.
  • It's possible they suspended an account that shouldn't have been, but to date, they haven't found a single case of a user being suspended wrongly yet (this is hilarious shade, I love it!).
  • Focus won't work with shield down the line (I'm okay with this, I think it would be fine to switch to Glass Cannon, Obliterate, Vanguard, etc., or honestly, to just keep it - I still use the scope a lot when not shielded up). I do really like the feel of this combo though, the shield/rifle, and find that even before I'm getting the Focus buff, it feels good - so I hope the nerfs keep it somewhat viable. That said, so many of the pieces from the build are applicable to other DPS builds.
  • Named item buffs/nerfs, this all sounds good to me. Sounds like some of the weaker named items are getting their bonuses doubled.
  • Exotics are being looked at, those that aren't up to snuff will be re-tooled to be more powerful. I hope it makes them more fun too.
  • Like that they said the ARs damage to health will get a buff. I can see them becoming a solid secondary weapon, because damage to health affects robots and heavies with armor that can be knocked off. I'm happy to see this, as ARs are always fun to use (previously a good combination of stability, damage and range).
  • Any element where you're at full armor and get one-shot is not what they want. So fire/gas/poison and such will be nerfed at least a little bit.
For the thread's discussion around builds getting nerfed or destroyed with updates, and wanting compensation, don't get me wrong, this has happened to me probably 3-4 times in Div 2 so far and it always feels frustrating at first. From the near indestructible SMG healing builds to Sharpshooter bonuses no longer working with ARs to Hard Wired seeker mine build getting nerfed with TU8, and coming soon the M1A focus-shield build, I've had completely min-maxed builds end up being nerfed a lot. But, usually a few of the pieces still end up being really useful in other builds. Beyond that, I find that Targeted Loot makes it so that an 80% there build of any kind can be farmed in hours. I've enjoyed the switching metas, gun types changing, going from high armor to skill builds to glass cannnons with SMGs to a shield build. In Div 1 I was almost always playing with an AR or The House, so having Div 2 force me into new playstyles has been fun. And honestly, that's what I dig about this game. I honestly just really enjoy farming Targeted Loot/Control Points and harder missions, so doing it with new builds is a-ok to me (as long as time to kill stays in the "not tedious" range).

That's why I usually just farm for good/god rolls and exotics in general. There will always be 1-2 best builds for PVE content on Heroic/Legendary, those will shift over time, but honestly, they don't take all that long to put together and cornerstone pieces are almost always good.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds utterly pointless to me when you get a basic and working build so quickly. It really does sound like you're making a huge fuss over a relatively small problem in the context of the new system, that is very easy to gear up in. The gesture would be next to meaningless.

Again: WF has 0 bearing here, sorry. The game is reliant on materials in ways this game is not, it has an actual economy, the fact they offer compensation at times like this suits that game bit has nothing at all to do with TD2.

It reads like entitlement to me. you are absolutely not entitled to compensation just because another completely unrelated game gives it.

I wouldn't take people's claims of this online as proof. People ALWAYS claim to have been unjustly banned in games like this when ban waves hit in games.
Well, I don't care what you think or believe of me, that's irrelevant. We won't agree so whatever.
And it's not hearing what people say online. I know of people I played with that used the glitch and aren't banned and people that didn't and got banned. Maybe you should not believe everything the developers say and be more critical.
And yes, how other games handle things matters, saying it doesn't, doesn't make it so.

Still, have fun with the game, I'll drop it here since I don't want to derail the thread.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't care what you think or believe of me, that's irrelevant. We won't agree so whatever.
And it's not hearing what people say online. I know of people I played with that used the glitch and aren't banned and people that didn't and got banned. Maybe you should not believe everything the developers say and be more critical.
And yes, how other games handle things matters, saying it doesn't, doesn't make it so.

Still, have fun with the game, I'll drop it here since I don't want to derail the thread.
No sorry, the way WF handles these things is completely irrelevant for the reasons given.

If anyone was named without cause, they should appeal. I find stories like that hard to believe usually, although it's not impossible it could happen. Massive have also said they have found no evidence to date of wrongly suspended accounts.

The new system needed to happen, and it is very quick to gear up. The calls for compensation are overblown and entitled fuss over an issue that doesn't really exist.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
They need to bring up the numbers from underperforming items instead of over nerfing.

If they do this people will still be happy with what they have but now other options will be much more viable.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
They need to bring up the numbers from underperforming items instead of over nerfing.

If they do this people will still be happy with what they have but now other options will be much more viable.
They said they are doing that for many Named Items, Assault Rifles (damage to health), under-performing Exotics and more, with multiple balance passes coming as early as next week and TU9 coming end of the month.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I'm gonna say this much, Fox/Contractors are still gonna be the go-to items since most players use Rifles/LMGs (Or rather M1A/MG5)

So any whining about them getting nerfed are a waste of time since they're still gonna be best in slot anyways

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I'm gonna say this much, Fox/Contractors are still gonna be the go-to items since most players use Rifles/LMGs (Or rather M1A/MG5)

So any whining about them getting nerfed are a waste of time since they're still gonna be best in slot anyways
Yup, they said on stream that they still want some items to be best in slot, but that because these outliers specifically also synergize with the meta builds (rifles/LMGs), they feel they got the numbers wrong. So yeah, most likely they will remain best overall in slot, but by less of a margin, or best in slot on rifle/LMG builds specifically. It'll come down to the numbers, but most likely they are all worth holding onto.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
On that note, today's map:
  • Lincoln Memorial is a great mission to farm. It's super fast, lots of bosses, and dropping Overlord (so great for Fox's Prayer)
  • Providence is in a nice big area to farm

manlisten

Oct 28, 2017
UI bug - level 3 gets you the blueprints you'd need from Level 4. Unless there's a seasonal activity or some kind of Project that requires Level 4 specifically, you can ignore 'em. But if memory serves, Level 4 spawns named bosses, Level 3 doesn't, so if you can do 4, might as well as you'll get better drops overall, plus more drops guaranteed.

Figured as much, thanks.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Haven't stepped in here for a while as been playing other games....WTF HAPPENED? Lol
There was a damage exploit allowing people to make it so each bullet did millions of damage. Massive warned people not to use it. Youtubers spread it far and wide under the guise of "don't use it, maybe Massive will see this and fix it" (though lets be honest, it was to get views). People still used it to farm levels, their SHD watch, gear, and Legendary missions, because turns out the game is really easy when every bullet of an AR or LMG kills every enemy. Yesterday they got a one week suspension and everything they farmed rolled back. There were lots of cries of "I got banned, but didn't exploit, my friend in my group must have," but turns out Massive says that ain't how it worked and to date they haven't had even one case of banning someone wrongly when they did their investigations. So lots of whining from people who cheated and lost a week of exploited progress. It's been fun watching.

Otherwise, lots of fixes made, more coming (including TU9 before the end of the month) and the Season has been rewarding so far (to me at least).

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a damage exploit allowing people to make it so each bullet did millions of damage. Massive warned people not to use it. Youtubers spread it far and wide under the guise of "don't use it, maybe Massive will see this and fix it" (though lets be honest, it was to get views). People still used it to farm levels, their SHD watch, gear, and Legendary missions, because turns out the game is really easy when every bullet of an AR or LMG kills every enemy. Yesterday they got a one week suspension and everything they farmed rolled back. There were lots of cries of "I got banned, but didn't exploit, my friend in my group must have," but turns out Massive says that ain't how it worked and to date they haven't had even one case of banning someone wrongly when they did their investigations. So lots of whining from people who cheated and lost a week of exploited progress. It's been fun watching.

Otherwise, lots of fixes made, more coming (including TU9 before the end of the month) and the Season has been rewarding so far (to me at least).

Oh it's like that is it, lol.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's clear the outliers needed to be balanced, they were killing build diversity. I'll miss using Focus with a shield as it was fun. Not sure what they can do to balance the named items other than let you add their unique stats to the library perhaps?

There was something they could have done instead. If it was up to me I'd give players a basic but working build (with the new system) so they can start working towards grinding everything else again. At least that way it's like "Hey, we know everything you've gotten so far it's useless right now so here, take this to help you start getting back where you were before!". It's a gesture, it's showing you care that people spent time playing your game.

It's an expansion with a level cap increase. Your old builds work fine for levelling. They were always going to be useless because as soon as the level/gear score increases they're rendered largely obsolete. You use your old "useless" build for levelling and then you grind a new build at endgame. That's how literally all these games work. Do you complain about MMO expansions rendering your old build "useless" because they've increased the level cap?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Instead of nerfing Fox's prayer, contractor's gloves and hollow man mask they should just add damage to armor, damage to health and damage to target out of cover to the attributes of certain armor pieces. Let damage to armor roll on all gloves but Contractor's would just have a higher value than you can get on others for example

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I think it's clear the outliers needed to be balanced. I'll miss using Focus with a shield as it was fun. Not sure what they can do to balance the named items other than let you add their unique stats to the library perhaps?
The main thing they talked about was lowering the numbers of the outliers (Fox's Prayer/Contractor's Gloves/Hollow Man) and then buffing some of the worse ones. Examples they gave were:
Punch Drunk going from 10.9% headshot damage to around 20% headshot damage bonus.
Claws out going from 200% melee damage to around 500% melee damage bonus.

I'm thinking the sweet spot would be if optimized, min-maxed builds sat with around 1-2 named items, not 3-4, so that regular items still have a lot of utility and drops would be exciting. Seems like that's the way it's going.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
The main thing they talked about was lowering the numbers of the outliers (Fox's Prayer/Contractor's Gloves/Hollow Man) and then buffing some of the worse ones. Examples they gave were:
Punch Drunk going from 10.9% headshot damage to around 20% headshot damage bonus.
Claws out going from 200% melee damage to around 500% melee damage bonus.

I'm thinking the sweet spot would be if optimized, min-maxed builds sat with around 1-2 named items, not 3-4, so that regular items still have a lot of utility and drops would be exciting. Seems like that's the way it's going.
Worst one is the stupid Sokolov gloves. 10.5% status effects (so only 0.5% more than everything else) on SMG damage gloves with a red weapon damage attribute. Like, what?

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Instead of nerfing Fox's prayer, contractor's gloves and hollow man mask they should just add damage to armor, damage to health and damage to target out of cover to the attributes of certain armor pieces. Let damage to armor roll on all gloves but Contractor's would just have a higher value than you can get on others
I've thought about that too, but I wonder if it would just make it even more streamlined than it already is. All DPS builds would be focused on Weapon Damage, Damage To Armor, Damage To Out Of Cover as the three stats. As of right now, there's a mix of Weapon Damage, Crit Chance (until 60% cap), Crit Damage (gets less useful the more you get), Headshot Damage (also less useful the more you get), Damage To Armor & Damage To Out Of Cover, which are always good, but rare. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. There's definitely a way they could do that though, if the numbers were low enough to not auto outclass the non multiplicative stats.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I've thought about that too, but I wonder if it would just make it even more streamlined than it already is. All DPS builds would be focused on Weapon Damage, Damage To Armor, Damage To Out Of Cover as the three stats. As of right now, there's a mix of Weapon Damage, Crit Chance (until 60% cap), Crit Damage (gets less useful the more you get), Headshot Damage (also less useful the more you get), Damage To Armor & Damage To Out Of Cover, which are always good, but rare. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out. There's definitely a way they could do that though, if the numbers were low enough to not auto outclass the non multiplicative stats.
You'd still have to take either crit chance or crit damage off of a piece you wanted to roll damage to armor or damage to out of cover on though so I think it'd balance out.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Focus with shield is hardly going to affect the buildsnit was used for. It was total overkill and the builds will still stomp without any other changes.

Besides, you can still run it and use it without pulling up your shield when you can to take advantage of it. I switch between shield, hardcover, and free aiming all the time as it is. This will just affect the time you use your shield, which shouldn't be always anyway.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem such as it is is that multiplicative stats are so much better. Hopefully they aren't too conservative with buffing other stuff. It doesn't help that the multiplicative stats are "always on" and operating at 100% efficiency whereas stuff like crit chance and damage are largely 50/50 (well 60/40). Though most builds will probably want all of them anyway.

Even without Focus I'd probably still run Rifle+Shield as I'm a poor aim and I like the feel of it.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
You'd still have to take either crit chance or crit damage off of a piece you wanted to roll damage to armor or damage to out of cover on though so I think it'd balance out.
It'd definitely come down to the exact numbers - as it stands, I'm at 60% crit chance without putting anything into my Crit Chance SHD level (have been going all Weapon Damage) - once I do, I can drop Crit Chance from 1-2 pieces of gear, I think, and still be at cap. Crit damage is diminishing returns too, so I could drop from one anyway once I get SHD levels going there (not for awhile). I wonder if it would be better to just add Damage To Armor/Damage To Enemies Out Of Cover to all brands, which are DPS stats that are mostly always on/don't require changing playstyle, so that DPS build just get more DPS, or not putting them on all gear, so that I'd have to start choosing things like Headshot damage or reload speed (DPS attributes that either need good aim or sustained damage stiuations to be felt), or spec'ing into something like Armor instead.

But I tend to like design/stats that require building a certain way (Crit Chance/Crit Damage is only good if you really commit to it), require a playstyle (Headshot Damage should be really strong, but require good aim to get the benefit), or be situational (damage to health isn't hugely impactful on most enemies, as they drop quick at the point when it kicks in anyway, but is really strong against robots and heavies with destructible armor pieces). I'm okay with keeping the super strong stats that are always on relegated to specific gear, in theory.

But again, all depends on the exact numbers. I don't have the answer - and not sure what I'd rather see happen, if I'm being honest.

Focus with shield is hardly going to affect the buildsnit was used for. It was total overkill and the builds will still stomp without any other changes.
There will likely be an M1a nerf too down the line. That said, I agree and don't see the build dropping from viability unless they stop doing enough damage to stagger enemies. To me that's the biggest thing with the build, once you start lasering an enemy, you usually can drop 'em before they run or hit back. And that lets you move at a good clip through harder missions. With most other weapons, I find myself having to disengage more often, stay in cover a little more, etc.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It'd definitely come down to the exact numbers - as it stands, I'm at 60% crit chance without putting anything into my Crit Chance SHD level (have been going all Weapon Damage) - once I do, I can drop Crit Chance from 1-2 pieces of gear, I think, and still be at cap. Crit damage is diminishing returns too, so I could drop from one anyway once I get SHD levels going there (not for awhile). I wonder if it would be better to just add Damage To Armor/Damage To Enemies Out Of Cover to all brands, which are DPS stats that are mostly always on/don't require changing playstyle, so that DPS build just get more DPS, or not putting them on all gear, so that I'd have to start choosing things like Headshot damage or reload speed (DPS attributes that either need good aim or sustained damage stiuations to be felt), or spec'ing into something like Armor instead.

But I tend to like design/stats that require building a certain way (Crit Chance/Crit Damage is only good if you really commit to it), require a playstyle (Headshot Damage should be really strong, but require good aim to get the benefit), or be situational (damage to health isn't hugely impactful on most enemies, as they drop quick at the point when it kicks in anyway, but is really strong against robots and heavies with destructible armor pieces). I'm okay with keeping the super strong stats that are always on relegated to specific gear, in theory.

But again, all depends on the exact numbers. I don't have the answer - and not sure what I'd rather see happen, if I'm being honest.

There will likely be an M1a nerf too down the line. That said, I agree and don't see the build dropping from viability unless they stop doing enough damage to stagger enemies. To me that's the biggest thing with the build, once you start lasering an enemy, you usually can drop 'em before they run or hit back. And that lets you move at a good clip through harder missions. With most other weapons, I find myself having to disengage more often, stay in cover a little more, etc.
Yep, it's going to take some changes across the board to really affect the build to the point it won't shred any more.

Right now it absolutely obliterates heroic. Even if they give it a decent nerf, there's so much room between it being very good and where it is now. They'd have to really go in hard for it to not still be one of the most effective ways to clear harder content.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten pretty lucky with my drops when all is said and done, but I have to say that the time it took me to go from "idk what the meta is and I'm getting squished in challenging with my AR/LMG build" to "oh yah 15 minutes in Challenging DCD with my meta M1A build" was maybe a week and a half?

Like, I get the complaints about "oh no they fucked all my builds and now I gotta make a new build," but it really doesn't seem that terrible to build up something new if you're still enjoying the game's core mechanics. If anything, the changes made in the year I've been gone have made it easier: Gear 2.0 means it's easier to know where your build stands and what you could improve on, and targeted loot makes it easier to get the pieces you're missing. Plus the new recal library means it's easier to get rid of stuff you've been saving for a rainy day, so less anxiety around hoarding.

And hey, if you're not enjoying the game mechanics that much anymore, maybe that's a sign to stop playing the game regardless of how much they screwed up your build.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
The removal of Apparel Projects and lack of Daily Projects in general is just incredibly fucking stupid.

Getting all Apparel Event keys requires at least 136+ SHD levels at this rate of receiving one for every four level ups.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They need to make rifles unuseable with shields OR need to make it so a rifle used with a shield doesn't count as zoomed in.
That will be a huge step to making rifle builds different

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
The removal of Apparel Projects and lack of Daily Projects in general is just incredibly fucking stupid.

Getting all Apparel Event keys requires at least 136+ SHD levels at this rate of receiving one for every four level ups.
It would definitely be nice but to be fair you do have 3 full weeks to get it all. I realize I probably play a lot more than the average player but I already have like 1/3 of the stuff.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It seems pretty obvious that they're trying to push people towards micro-transactions. Which sadly is what it is.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB

It does suck that it takes more levels to get the Apparel Event done than it does to get the entire Season track, but at the same time...since it's all cosmetic, not stuff that actually impacts gameplay, and since they probably need some microtransaction sales to keep justifying supporting the game as much as they do, I'm okay with it. Not stoked, but understand it, basically.

That said, we're just over two weeks in, I've been playing 1-2 hours a day, and have earned about 125 SHD levels since the season went live. So same pace, I'd finish the apparel event with a few days to go. Which doesn't seem too grindy, just grindy in comparison to what they have been before.

(also, if anyone wants to be efficient, double XP + Heroic + 3-4 directives on means missions dole out a shit ton of XP. I think I got all 4 levels for an apparel key in one mission run)

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It does suck that it takes more levels to get the Apparel Event done than it does to get the entire Season track, but at the same time...since it's all cosmetic, not stuff that actually impacts gameplay, and since they probably need some microtransaction sales to keep justifying supporting the game as much as they do, I'm okay with it. Not stoked, but understand it, basically.

That said, we're just over two weeks in, I've been playing 1-2 hours a day, and have earned about 125 SHD levels since the season went live. So same pace, I'd finish the apparel event with a few days to go. Which doesn't seem too grindy, just grindy in comparison to what they have been before.

(also, if anyone wants to be efficient, double XP + Heroic + 3-4 directives on means missions dole out a shit ton of XP. I think I got all 4 levels for an apparel key in one mission run)

The apparel event is absolutely balanced around directives. I would imagine if directives existed before WoNY, they would look at the data and see the miniscule amount of people who actually use them and wouldn't have balanced it around that hopefully.

Also, they have been quick to point out the double XP, but almost hide the fact that it's only for the first 15 levels which feels skeezy. But I agree, it's cosmetics only, and not very good ones either, so it's hard to super care. My hope is that they would adjust this for the next season where players actually have to pay for the pass and give them a boost.

Considering this season is literally just checklists of old content, it will be interesting to see if they are happy with the retention

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Been running 3 directives pretty much since day 1 and then on challenging or heroic you get so much XP, it's pretty nice
still definitely a grind though. I just hope I get my camo raincoat :D

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
As others have said in here, directives really help increase your XP gains. If you're running a rifle dps build you likely won't even notice the ammo one and if you're familiar with the levels and enemy spawns the fog of war one is pretty easy to deal with too

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
So I fucked up and clicked "Reactivate Manhunt" and lost all my progress (I'd just completed the second lieutenant).

Fuuuuuck...

That option really should be labelled "Reset Manhunt".

😭

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I fucked up and clicked "Reactivate Manhunt" and lost all my progress (I'd just completed the second lieutenant).

Fuuuuuck...

That option really should be labelled "Reset Manhunt".

😭
You dont have to redo it. It is a replay not a reset. Your progress to the main target is still there, its just a UI bug that it reset

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
OMG I'd forgotten how shit the DARPA mission was - the last part is essentially 'we're out of ideas, here's everything at once'

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
OMG I'd forgotten how shit the DARPA mission was - the last part is essentially 'we're out of ideas, here's everything at once'
Yeah, that part sucks. Mortars and snipers and warhounds and heavies all in a big open area where you can't really stop them from rushing from all sides. Add to that there's no boss checkpoint like most missions have on heroic, so if you try it on heroic and die at the boss you have to do the whole damn mission over.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Remind me again—I've done everything for the manhunt but Darpa Labs on Heroic, but I can't match with anyone all morning and the combo of robot torrets, assault drones, explosive drones etc. is infuriating solo when no one is taking any of the aggro. Can I play it on Hard or Challenging and have it count towards the Manhunt without starting over?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Remind me again—I've done everything for the manhunt but Darpa Labs on Heroic, but I can't match with anyone all morning and the combo of robot torrets, assault drones, explosive drones etc. is infuriating solo when no one is taking any of the aggro. Can I play it on Hard or Challenging and have it count towards the Manhunt without starting over?
the "do on any difficulty" thing has not been implemented. That comes next week

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure you can change difficulty without resetting progress now. I did a couple of the control points and bounties on heroic but missions on challenging and it seemed to work. I think progress reset is done with a button now rather than resetting world difficulty.