• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
l2Npfkt.png

As someone that loves stats and seeing how playerbases react to gamepass / season updates ect I like to keep track of the US/CA/UK Xbox most played lists. These are decent indicators of global populations, and representative to a fairly accurate degree on all platforms. Some games obviously are up from Backwards compatibility / Gamepass / Gold. Some games do better on PC but I am shocked how low The Division 2 is currently. Especially when announced it's the best selling game of the year.

As someone that was just in it to explore the world and level up I dropped it a long time ago but have no idea the reasons why its fallen yet games like Fallout 76, Borderlands 2 and such are able out perform it.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Below Xenoverse 2 and F76 holy moly

This must be a huge drop off from the first game. It's well made, mechanically speaking, but it's just so god damn dull and devoid of personality.

Ubi has to take a page from Warframe's book. Cut out the mandatory dull open world, get players to the "fun" faster.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
PC and PS4 are leagues ahead for most online games.
Ubisoft confirmed that these two platform are their strongest this morning.
Abysmal on one platform does not mean it's the case for all.
The game is still 60$+ most of the time compared to a lot of games higher on that list, which can contribute quite a lot too.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It was pretty rough not even a month after launch on PC. I couldn't tell if matchmaking was just dead or if people just used pre-made groups.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018

This must be a huge drop off from the first game. It's well made, mechanically speaking, but it's just so god damn dull and devoid of personality.

Ubi has to take a page from Warframe's book. Cut out the mandatory dull open world, get players to the "fun" faster.
I mean, Warframe is regularly adding new open worlds and a lot of what Steve said at Tennocon sounds like they may want to replace the Orbiter with Railjack in the not too distant future (fly to and from missions).

For me the deterrent to Division is mostly that the loot is boring, I apparently need to "beat the game" possibly twice before the world populates with the fun stuff, and it is largely unsolo-able (too many melee enemies flanking and charging you).

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to explain I got to 30 on D2 and think it's better than D1 yet I spent more time on D1

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm. I'm still playing the hell out of it. And never have an issue finding others. Maybe it's just doing poor on Xbox?

Fantastic game with fantastic support.

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
That's why the game is 19.99 at gamestop and amazon. I finally pick it up, there was no way paying full price after the first game being so abysmal during launch.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Dropped it pretty quick. Matchmaking is shit and when you do get a squad they are either afk or bail instantly once mission is over and you have to start the process again. Never had this issue with the first game.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

as someone who plays warframe i have no idea what you're talking about

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the game, but once I finished the main campaign and world tier 5, I was done. The first night of the raid, someone here made a group, and then was a total ass hole and ditched half of us. The other half of us were unable to fill out a group and gave up after an hour. That was literally launch night for the big 8 player update, and we couldn't find a game. After I saw how stupid hard the raid was any way, I just dropped the game.

But, can't complain. I got a good 50+ hours of fun out of it.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I have it on PC. A few weeks after launch it became really hard to find people to do content. Most safehouses were empty too.

Loved it but had my fill. I don't want to play anymore and I uninstalled it. Didn't even try the raid.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Everyone I know who played dropped off prior to the raid and came back for the raid, attempted it, encountered the difficulty spike and then dropped it again because the loot sucked. Outside of the raid, there wasn't much end-game to keep them playing.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
The RNG almost feels reversed. I had better ReCal fuel drop helping a clanmate in WT4 than anything in WT5 lol

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I was so hyped for it. Really wanted to get into it but...every mission and area felt the same. I couldn't even get to level cap. This makes sense I guess.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I played the other day. Felt pointless. Probably not going to log back on unless my brother really wants to play, or when the new areas and stuff drop.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
It was dead a month after release. Everything about D1 is a better product. None of the improvements they did for 1 was in 2, no one's gonna stream themselves farming for 10 hours just to trash everything.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The game is still 60$+ most of the time compared to a lot of games higher on that list, which can contribute quite a lot too.
Lol what

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Console install base means nothing. These are respective rankings. The Division isn't a JRPG. Scaling should be accurate, I cant see many games on this list that wouldn't reflect the same on PS4

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It seemed like a step back from the first game for the most part. I tried to put as much time into the free weekend as I could, but several hours in I was like I'm never going to play this again it's not worth the slog.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, ever since I picked up a XB1X, I've been slowly "converting" all of my PS4 Pro titles to Xbox and buying new games only on Xbox. Not really worried, as I've been able to find people to matchmake with on Divison 2.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
My brother and I hard dropped it after we got the Platinum trophy. It was a fun ride, but I'm not nearly attached enough to the world to keep going back to it with so many other games out there.

I'd much rather invest my time in FFXIV, for example.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The raid did not result in the traditional bump associated with such content drop. Also the competition has stepped up their game. I haven't touched it since May.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On PS4 but I picked it up on sale and dropped it after a couple weeks. The modern setting is just boring to me after playing Destiny for years.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I played the heck out of the first on Xbox but don't really have any interest in 2 at the moment. I played the beta and found the setting to be kind of lame.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
WT5 was such a shitshow when it released, it completely soured me on the end game experience. The day they delayed the raid is the day I quit and just have not had any interest in coming back.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dumbass, thinly veiled console war post.

Good. More writing on the wall that full price GAAS are done.

Don't know how you get that when GTAV, Siege, Destiny 2, and BLOPS4 are all in the top 10 most played.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped off a lot quicker than I thought I would. I think I enjoyed playing that game solo and enjoying taking my time going through each mission. Some of those maps are really well done.

Dropped off once I reached endgame. Wonder if they'll make any major changes to this game.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Plus, I never understood how matchmaking works in these types of games. If I join someone else's world via "answer the call," do I get credit in my own game/world for missions that are jointly completed? The game doesn't explain this at all.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Did they announce it as best selling or most played? Because it could've sold an absolute ton but if people aren't putting hours into it then it's not gonna show up on this list. This is a 'most hours played' chart.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I dropped off a lot quicker than I thought I would. I think I enjoyed playing that game solo and enjoying taking my time going through each mission. Some of those maps are really well done.

Dropped off once I reached endgame. Wonder if they'll make any major changes to this game.

TU5 (Releasing next week) is making major changes to skills, making them more viable

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Did they announce it as best selling or most played? Because it could've sold an absolute ton but if people aren't putting hours into it then it's not gonna show up on this list. This is a 'most hours played' chart.
Best selling. Which makes it even more shocking at how low the retention rate is

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina

As difficult to verify as that would be, I do believe that generally speaking that´s not the case. Some Battlefield games have population trackers that show that the quantity of active players in Xbox is proportionally high when comparing the install bases.

About The Division 2: using my friend list as a sample, I felt that the raid wasn´t exactly well received and it was followed by a massive exodus.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dropped the game hard after they decided to have a bunch of knee jerk reactions after launch which started delaying content. The same goes for the other 10-12 people in our clan. I thought they would solve the puzzle and was really confident they'd get it right after the work they did on the first game over the years, but they fell right into the same trap. The raid coming like 2 months later didn't help matters.

Nov 8, 2017
The bigger surprise to me is that there are 3 COD games above BFV. It seems like every time they go head to head, BF fans hype it as the year the tides turn. Also, it seems like people aren't actually that high on WW2 shooters after all.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Worst than 3 CODs. Worst than Fallout. Ouch

I played in the free weekend, stoped at 50% of the campaign and the only way Id play more is another free weekend.

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It sounds dumb to say but none of the cosmetics made me feel cool. I don't know why but it was my issue with D1. I look like a soccer dad or a Socom reject at best

kintaris

Jul 24, 2018
Still not an unequivocal indicator, but this is based on a random sampling over over 1m Xbox players, presented without any potential bias from the platform holder.

Div 2 is indeed miserably behind a lot of its competitors, some several years old. But I can't overstate how phenomenally Xbox Game Pass is changing the Xbox player base, and that can and will skew Xbox numbers in a way that PS Now and other subs likely do not. Notice that a pretty huge number of games above Div 2 are either in Game Pass or have been free on GwG.