• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i don't tend to think of ancient people as stoic and/or utilitarian and i absolutely do not draw any lines with the clinton administration. it's weird to do that and it's worth reflection on why one would.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Just rewatched Alien tonight and I think my disdain for cats is because I watched that film in my early formative years.

The Xenomorph might be a bloodthirsty killer, but Jonesy was a willing accomplice, leading several crew members to their death or near-death. That cat knew what it was doing. It's the true monster and villain of the film.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
l-13660-do-they-still-worship-us-child-well-shit-in-a-box-and-they-clean-it-good-good.jpg

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how we often think of ancient folk as some 'other', films etc often make them seem like barbaric humourless aliens.

What is most likely, is that they were just like us; petty, silly, loving, hating, weird and all the rest.
Not completely related, but it's also one of the reasons I laugh in the face of anyone who uses "adrenal fatigue" unironicly. "Our ancestors were never faced with the constant stress we have today!" Yep, they certainly never faced dismemberment not only from hunting animals, but even a large portion of the prey they chased on a day to day basis.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly have no idea how humans domesticated cats. At least with dogs, we could selectively breed them until we get some that are comfortable around humans and won't try and kill us. Cats on the hand seem to do whatever the hell they want.

For the most part, we didn't. Dogs are a heavily modified animal due to humans selectively breeding them for various purposes for centuries. Cats are almost identical, especially genetically, to the wild cats that they're originally descended from. As CGP Grey puts it, a dog is a designed tool of humanity, while a cat is a tiny tiger that lives in your house.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At my old apartment complex there was a group of about 15 or so feral cats that wandered the complex. Soon I started feeding them cat food, and then I would fill up a dish and sit next to it, forcing the cats to eat it while I was sitting next to them. After a few sessions of me just sitting there while they ate, I started to pet them as they ate.

Within a week of starting to pet them they would rush up to me any time I opened the door to get some lovin'. I think it's fairly obvious what happened historically. Compared to other animals that can adapt to humans and rummage through trash like raccoons, cats will take the next step beyond just tolerating humans to get some food and become ready companions to humans. The brain of a cat will need that affection once they experience it.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Both dog and cat were self domesticated so I don't know where you are trying to go with your "point" OP.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
d2d201b3705638b926a8c906a086d886

In Egypt, they were believed to have come from the God "Bast", who warded off evil.

Reality : We're here to knock shit off shelves and leave dead birds in your bed.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
They'll kill one mouse and wait until hungry to kill again? I think that's ridiculous, sorry. Maybe it wouldn't hunt for a mouse once it's full but cats fucking kill for fun, heaven help the poor bastard that runs around an area a cat's claimed while a cat's around, full cat or not.
That's not accurate.

Cats don't hunt for fun. They just have a very strong chase instinct. (Hence why it's so easy to get them to chase after pieces of string and whatnot.)

A full cat won't go actively looking for prey, but it will happily chase any that it happens to come across. This can result in the behaviour commonly referred to as "playing with their food", where they will catch something, then release it, then grab it again. They don't eat it because they're not hungry, but when it tries to run away the chase instinct kicks in and they pounce on it again, over and over. This rarely happens with cats in the wild since they're nowhere near as well fed. (The exception being when mother cats cripple prey then give it to their kittens to practice on.)

Not completely related, but it's also one of the reasons I laugh in the face of anyone who uses "adrenal fatigue" unironicly. "Our ancestors were never faced with the constant stress we have today!" Yep, they certainly never faced dismemberment not only from hunting animals, but even a large portion of the prey they chased on a day to day basis.
You are wrong.

The key word in there is "constant".

Being chased by a bear is no doubt extremely stressful, but it's relatively brief. A bear doesn't stress you out for weeks or months the way, say, not being able to pay your kid's medical bills can.

Obviously our ancestors would have had their share of long term stress. Having a sick kid couldn't have been any more fun back then than it is now, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They'll kill one mouse and wait until hungry to kill again? I think that's ridiculous, sorry. Maybe it wouldn't hunt for a mouse once it's full but cats fucking kill for fun, heaven help the poor bastard that runs around an area a cat's claimed while a cat's around, full cat or not.

Yeah, whoever thinks cats don't hunt moving things unless they're hungry must not have had any cats. Do you guys think those videos of cats chasing around everything from flies to roombas are of cats left starving by their owners? There's a reason farmers still use cats to control vermin, even to this day.

As one of the biggest cat lovers on Era, I'm really skeptical of this "they were cute" justification. Especially since the whole point of domestication is to make them friendlier to humans, which back them they probably weren't.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Came here for the cat pics and gifs, wasn't disappointed.

I can do one better!
www.resetera.com

CatEra |OT| Share your pics, read our tips, ask any questions OT

This is a thread by and for cat lovers! You can also find its sister, dog-themed thread here. CAT TIPS: Keep food and water as separate from each other as possible, because cats associate proximity of food with the fact that the water may be tainted (dead animals rotting in it), and tend to...

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I can do one better!
www.resetera.com

CatEra |OT| Share your pics, read our tips, ask any questions OT

This is a thread by and for cat lovers! You can also find its sister, dog-themed thread here. CAT TIPS: Keep food and water as separate from each other as possible, because cats associate proximity of food with the fact that the water may be tainted (dead animals rotting in it), and tend to...

Oh damn! I knew there was a general ERApet thread and even already posted in it, but feels like I found a new home to spazz in now! Anticipate pictures of my cat there very soon!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many species of rodents and birds cats needed to drive to extinction before we accepted them for being as bloodthirsty as us

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
That's not accurate.

Cats don't hunt for fun. They just have a very strong chase instinct. (Hence why it's so easy to get them to chase after pieces of string and whatnot.)

A full cat won't go actively looking for prey, but it will happily chase any that it happens to come across. This can result in the behaviour commonly referred to as "playing with their food", where they will catch something, then release it, then grab it again. They don't eat it because they're not hungry, but when it tries to run away the chase instinct kicks in and they pounce on it again, over and over. This rarely happens with cats in the wild since they're nowhere near as well fed. (The exception being when bother cats cripple prey then give it to the kitten to practice on.)

You are wrong.

The key word in there is "constant".

Being chased by a bear is no doubt extremely stressful, but it's relatively brief. A bear does stress you out for weeks the way, say, not being able to pay your kid's medical bills can.

Obviously our ancestors would have had their share of long term stress. Having a sick kid couldn't have been any more fun back then than it is now, but you're comparing apples to oranges.
It has to be more than just instinct, since cats will bat around inanimate objects and chase them on their own volition.

And our ancestors didn't enjoy the same kind of food security we do today, which would have been highly stressful.

Hickbilly

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People domesticated cats because they were idiots they enjoyed being servants to those hairball coughing pieces of shit.

Cats suck.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Uh no. Cats have always been efficient at deterring vermin. It's less about the actual killing and more about the presence. Cats can just occupy a given environment more efficiently and with minimal human care compared to a dog.

It's the whole reason why "bodega cats" are a thing, and not "bodega dogs".

giphy.gif

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
i don't tend to think of ancient people as stoic and/or utilitarian and i absolutely do not draw any lines with the clinton administration. it's weird to do that and it's worth reflection on why one would.

That was a really confusing statement. Could you clarify OP? I don't mean to insult or argue I'm more genuinely intrigued where that came from in your mind (something you heard/read, personal experience, etc.). I'm 36 and thought I could sort of relate on an anecdotal level but that's probably just showing my biases.

I also think we need to reconsider the term "ancient". We've been around 200k years and we're talking less than 30 years ago.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Came into a thread expecting some historical facts on domestication of cats.
Left confused with mentions of ethics and Clinton administration.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Uh no. Cats have always been efficient at deterring vermin. It's less about the actual killing and more about the presence. Cats can just occupy a given environment more efficiently and with minimal human care compared to a dog.

It's the whole reason why "bodega cats" are a thing, and not "bodega dogs".

There is a breed of dog here in Spain called "bodeguero", selected to kill rats and mice, also very good as pets if you want an active dog.
245px-Bodeguero_young.jpg

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
People domesticated cats because they were idiots they enjoyed being servants to those hairball coughing pieces of shit.

Cats suck.
Why do people have such strong anti-cat feelings? Just because you feel entitled to touch their bodies however you want with no prior relationship or consent and not all of them let you? Sounds like a you problem.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
cats came into our lives when we stopped being nomadic tribes and become sedentary farmers.
Farms attracted mice, mice attracted cats.

Zoroaster

Alt account
Banned
Oct 6, 2018
It's not a myth, cats are great for pest control.

Cats are responsible for the deaths of 1.4 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.9 to 20.7 billion mammals every year in US alone.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was more likely that cats moved in with humans of their own volition, as human urban and farming practices created a niche for them. I would assume we then tolerated and accepted them as useful(ish) and pleasant(ish) companions.

It's widely speculated that while dogs were being artificially selected into existence to do jobs, cats just sort of "moved in" when the agricultural revolution occured and their food sources were plentiful on farms and such. Other than being bred for aesthetics, they've barely changed.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
cats came into our lives when we stopped being nomadic tribes and become sedentary farmers.
Farms attracted mice, mice attracted cats.
And our ancestors figured out pretty quickly cats are.great for pest control.

If the OP didn't misundrstand the Netflix documentaty the there is a problem with random Netflix docs being full of bullshit. I tend to avoid Thier documentaries unless it's from the BBC or PBS for precisely this reason.

So many editorials masquerading as docs.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Certain breeds of dogs are far more effective at killing rats and stuff than cats are but they require training, attention, just far more investment in general you may not want to bother with.

Cats required little maintenance on the part of the human while they deter and kill pests, the trade off is they'll kill on their own time. You aren't easily training a cat to go outside with you and don't stop until you kill 100 rats like you can with a dog.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I think it's fairly obvious what happened historically. Compared to other animals that can adapt to humans and rummage through trash like raccoons, cats will take the next step beyond just tolerating humans to get some food and become ready companions to humans. The brain of a cat will need that affection once they experience it.
There has to be willingness to be domesticated. Raccoon and fox are around people but remain wild. Not every species of animal can be domesticated. Bonds can form in specific circumstances, but that's not species domestication.

I think the dog probably took the same route as the cat. Wolves would hang around campfires for scraps, eventually gained enough trust to be hand fed and petted. Both cat and dog figured out these humans could not only be good providers but really enjoyed the affection they provided as well.

There's a guy on Youtube who has a pet fox. Probably a rescue. They can be playful sometimes but just don't like to be trained or handled. They are disobedient and destructive. It's like he understands "no" but has no interest in obeying just to please his human. A fox is definitely not a good pet. They might like the food, but do not seek the same social interaction as a cat or dog.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Had a stray cat I was taking care of for awhile that was like a squirrel serial killer.

Didn't kill a single mouse but damn near committed squirrel genocide in our neighborhood.