• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The market will go back down to hell once it realizes a lot less people have money to actually spend money on stuff, killing profits.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People said this week would be blood red. Next week is looking to be green too.

Im just trying to stretch my money as I can but if I need to buy now I will.
someones got a case of the FOMO.

Make a plan with your money.
If buying stocks:
  • Have an entry plan: Set a price in which you feel comfortable buying in at.
  • Have an exit plan: Know your tolerance to losses and lock those in place and revisit that limit on a schedule.

Last edited:

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Another reason why is cause of this thinking:

And we also learned that, according to Orlando Sentinel, there is an analyst report from JPMorgan which is now estimating that the temporary closures of Disney theme parks in both Anaheim, California and Orlando, Florida could possibly extend until May 1, 2020. This is mainly due to the recent recommendation from The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which says that there should be an 8-week ban on all public gatherings.

If Disney is open May 1st then yeah I can see the market maybe is fine where it's at. Seems extremely optimistic to me though.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about the market, my moneys in a vanguard fund. But how could it still not go down? People aren't going to be buy stuff, flying, going on vacation for who knows how long. The virus is only going to get worse for now. I don't see how that little relief package could keep the market stable now.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another reason why is cause of this thinking:

And we also learned that, according to Orlando Sentinel, there is an analyst report from JPMorgan which is now estimating that the temporary closures of Disney theme parks in both Anaheim, California and Orlando, Florida could possibly extend until May 1, 2020. This is mainly due to the recent recommendation from The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which says that there should be an 8-week ban on all public gatherings.

If Disney is open May 1st then yeah I can see the market maybe is fine where it's at. Seems extremely optimistic to me though.

When the real casualty numbers start to hit in mid April, it will seem absurd to open anything major by May 1st - especially in Florida where the response was especially slow and botched compared to other states.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about the market, my moneys in a vanguard fund. But how could it still not go down? People aren't going to be buy stuff, flying, going on vacation for who knows how long. The virus is only going to get worse for now. I don't see how that little relief package could keep the market stable now.
The trajectory is downward. These little spurts of green are pretty meaningless unless you're day trading.

Jun 10, 2018
You need to stop trying to time the market based on emotions of daily fluctuations man.
I would also ask what kind of investment strategy he has in mind. Is he looking for growth via capital gains? Trading options? Staying relatively safe in bonds? Trying to build a passive income stream? Or some mix of the aforementioned strategies?

Jumping in without knowing or having a goal in mind only makes what is already a risk even riskier.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Surprise surprise. Rally comes crashing back down.
Well I just did a timid jump in
VTPEhkG.png

I figure it's going down because of the complications with the stimulus bill, and that once those are done it will go back up.
If I'm wrong well at least I have some stock to hold onto for the next 5-10 years and I can keep buying as it goes down.
if I'm right then Disney might crawl back up to 110 or so because this fake rally really dies and I can sell there and rebuy when it's down more.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
The mall where my friend works out has announced they will be closed until AFTER Easter.

And another friend who works for a US Federal Agency is who extending full time telework until AT LEAST May 1, so expect every employee eligible to stay at home.

Yea, we're not going back to normal for a while.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The mall where my friend works out has announced they will be closed until AFTER Easter.

And another friend who works for a US Federal Agency is who extending full time telework until AT LEAST May 1, so expect every employee eligible to stay at home.

Yea, we're not going back to normal for a while.

May 1 is the new expected date for most things. States like MN have already said that restaurants will not be open until then at least.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
May 1 is the new expected date for most things. States like MN have already said that restaurants will not be open until then at least.

i would assume even then, they will have to have lower seating, etc. So even if things open, its going to be different. I do expect recovery to be a bit more local focused. I wouldn't be shocked if the summer travel season is almost non-existent.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
You really shouldn't be buying stocks when the virus is still rampaging like that. The markets hate uncertainty.

Mar 29, 2018
Because buying and selling in these markets is based on perception and mood. Human whim, basically

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i would assume even then, they will have to have lower seating, etc. So even if things open, its going to be different. I do expect recovery to be a bit more local focused. I wouldn't be shocked if the summer travel season is almost non-existent.

Agreed. I think (though who knows) states like MN might ease out relatively quickly if we keep this from spiking. We didn't get hit as early and we clamped down quicker. I could see states like MN easing up and then really going to work supplying aid to other areas. With 3M, Target, Honeywell, Medtronic, etc. here I think it'll be a hub for some of this. So far our numbers of infected/critical/dead are really low relatively. Though we could just be lagging. I suspect, like everyone, we'll get hit harder in the coming weeks.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Today will be fun.
Will TVIX finally show its potential again?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People said this week would be blood red. Next week is looking to be green too.

Im just trying to stretch my money as I can but if I need to buy now I will.
I was never confident about anything other than the fact that we haven't seen the bottom, personally. Down markets have stretches of green, of high green even.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Buddy just liquifed about $15K in stocks. Said "if you don't have six months of emergency funds in your checking account during this, but you have anything in the stock market, you're a dumbass."

I don't think I agree. But I also don't... disagree.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The key is to have both. But I choose to only have 4 months of emergency funds. Though I choose to base that off of total gross income and not net income or 'my average per month spend' like a lot of people do when they are determining how much emergency savings to have.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Put in a buy order if V falls to $159 today. I doubt it will but just in case I'll continue my 5% (ish) step down strategy.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
It was a fake rally, boosted more by Trump's concession to corporate interest. Its why he won't invoke the DPA. He is doing everything he can to keep this steady. And the bill passing through the senate finally gave it a boost, which will happen again once it passes the house & ultimately gets signed.

The reality of this situation (the unemployment numbers, the complete flatlining of consumer spending on non-essentials) is a reality whose impact is both severe and long-term of the foreseeable future. Anyone who thinks we are out of this or at the bottom are fooling themselves.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Buddy just liquifed about $15K in stocks. Said "if you don't have six months of emergency funds in your checking account during this, but you have anything in the stock market, you're a dumbass."

I don't think I agree. But I also don't... disagree.
Good to have both really. I wonder how much your buddy essentially lost during all this or if he was even/up. Might have been short sited to take it out if he/she lost a bunch

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was a fake rally, boosted more by Trump's concession to corporate interest. Its why he won't invoke the DPA. He is doing everything he can to keep this steady. And the bill passing through the senate finally gave it a boost, which will happen again once it passes the house & ultimately gets signed.

The reality of this situation (the unemployment numbers, the complete flatlining of consumer spending on non-essentials) is a reality whose impact is both severe and long-term of the foreseeable future. Anyone who thinks we are out of this or at the bottom are fooling themselves.
True but I also think we may have seen the bottom already. Even though it dipped today, it's still way above where it was last week.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure he is forcing a vote. They were going to pass it by voice vote (unanimous consent) which doesn't require members to vote yes/no, but he objected
yeah, that what he's pushing towards in the second post
twitter.com

Thomas Massie on Twitter

“(2/11)The Constitution requires that a quorum of members be present to conduct business in the House. Right now, millions of essential, working-class Americans are still required to go to work during this pandemic such as manufacturing line workers, healthcare professionals,”

Status
Not open for further replies.