• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Die rat!

Disney just cancelled construction on their star wars hotel. Parks are going to be closed (or extremely reduced capacity) for at least a year at this point.
Mouse laughs at you as investors continue to buy up Disney because of the name and "discount".

Or, who knows, maybe they'll come to their senses with an earnings report?

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think until we finally just accept that it's going to get worse: no jobs, piles of bodies and social distancing for another year, that we finally hit bottom.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Been buying nike and msft. My speculation buy is twitter, alot of board level stuff that I think will have the stock breakout once this stuff settles. My time horizon is a year

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mouse laughs at you as investors continue to buy up Disney because of the name and "discount".

Or, who knows, maybe they'll come to their senses with an earnings report?
Legally they should have updated their guidance by now.

My speculation buy is twitter, alot of board level stuff that I think will have the stock breakout once this stuff settles. My time horizon is a year

Same. It is simply the most important news source in the Western world at the moment and profitable.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Been buying nike and msft. My speculation buy is twitter, alot of board level stuff that I think will have the stock breakout once this stuff settles. My time horizon is a year
Not a bad plan at all. Own individual strong companies that will survive this crisis and add more shares as they go down. Sprinkle in a spec or two. I personally don't want to own the entire market right now, but that's me. If someone else wants to, go for it. More than one way to make money in the stock market.
Legally they should have updated their guidance by now.
I think the SEC gave companies the ability to push off giving guidance. Which is why the market is truly the wild West at the moment.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Not a bad plan at all. Own individual strong companies that will survive this crisis and add more as they go down. Sprinkle in a spec or two. I personally don't want to own the entire market right now, but that's me. If someone else wants to, go for it. More than one way to make money in the stock market.

I think the SEC gave companies the ability to push off giving guidance. Which is why the market is truly the wild West at the moment.
30 shares so far of nike and msft so far

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It is case law but they have definitely suffered a material change to their forward looking statements.
What statements? I'm looking at their Q1 results here and don't see any earnings guidance for Q2 or FY. Maybe I missed it. There are all these statements though:

Certain statements in this earnings release may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements such as expectations regarding our future growth and other statements that are not historical in nature. These statements are made on the basis of management's views and assumptions regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made. Management does not undertake any obligation to update these statements.

Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied. Such differences may result from actions taken by the Company, including restructuring or strategic initiatives (including capital investments, asset acquisitions or dispositions, integration initiatives and timing of synergy realization) or other business decisions, as well as from developments beyond the Company's control, including:

• changes in domestic and global economic conditions, competitive conditions and consumer preferences;
  • adverse weather conditions or natural disasters;
  • health concerns;
  • international, regulatory, political, or military developments;
  • technological developments; and
  • labor markets and activities.

Such developments may affect entertainment, travel and leisure businesses generally and may, among other things, affect:

• the performance of the Company's theatrical and home entertainment releases;
  • the advertising market for broadcast and cable television programming;
  • demand for our products and services;
  • construction;
  • expenses of providing medical and pension benefits;
  • income tax expense;
  • performance of some or all company businesses either directly or through their impact on those who distribute our products; and
  • achievement of anticipated benefits of the TFCF transaction.

The Walt Disney Company Reports First Quarter Earnings for Fiscal 2020 - The Walt Disney Company

BURBANK, Calif.–The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) today reported earnings for its first fiscal quarter ended December 28, 2019. Diluted earnings per share (EPS) …Read More

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
SPY testing two support levels in one day. Lost the first one, bouncing off the second at the moment.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I keep thinking I'm going to liquidate....

but I just keep buying. Fuck it. What else am I going to do with my money?

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
so fucking dumb with these pumps. I can only imagine the amount of money people are making on insider trading at this point. Hell you don't even have to be an insider, it's like a 70% chance it happens every day. So god damn crazy.

less

Oct 25, 2017
4.4% drop across the board. Bad day for markets. Likely to continue for the rest of the week as I don't see any good news coming down the line lol.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I unloaded a quarter of my TVIX hedge and put it into Cloudflare, along with upping my Cloudflare holdings slightly. Let's see where this all goes.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
so fucking dumb with these pumps. I can only imagine the amount of money people are making on insider trading at this point. Hell you don't even have to be an insider, it's like a 70% chance it happens every day. So god damn crazy.
It helps to be an insider. This was from the beginning of the big rally last week.

www.cnbc.com

Trump, Pence held call on economy with investors including Paul Tudor Jones, Stephen Schwarzman

Investors on the call included Dan Loeb, Stephen Schwarzman, Intercontinental Exchange's Jeffrey Sprecher and Paul Tudor Jones.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I keep thinking I'm going to liquidate....

but I just keep buying. Fuck it. What else am I going to do with my money?
That is the million dollar question. In other crashes people bought fixed income sources like bonds. The returns weren't as good as their stocks were, but at least they could make something. Now with interest rates so ridiculously low, bond are useless.

I think that's why we are seeing so many spikes on the way down. People who did liquidate don't know what to do with their money, so they buy more stock thinking it's a bargain now. It's not. The fall to the bottom is still happening.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
i said yolo. tired of watching everyday.

told my guy to invest my roth money and I bought my stocka ive been looking at. Everything was down today and This is all for long term. Everything Ive paid into has been this last month so any recovery here up is profit.

I got 4000 more til Roth is maxed so I can always buy in another dip.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Ray Dalio said in February said before that "cash is trash" and that most of your money should be in the market anyway. For real, is there any other place to put it? Aside from a HYSA, you're just slowly losing money to inflation sticking it under your mattress. Personally I think the best thing would be to have your money in the market, and to sell options against your positions to collect premium (sweet, sweet, premium). However that requires knowledge of options or else significant loss could occur.

Current position:

Yxuty0Y.png

To note, this looks like a huge gain, but I'm still about $2.3k from break even on all those spreads I bought awhile ago. At least I'm relatively protected from theta decay, but I'd like SPY to dump to 220 sooner rather than later. However, the price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia might end soon, as the two sides are about to go into talks. If they reach an agreement, oil prices will go back up, and both sides have good reasons to reach an agreement. That means oil will go back up, and USO will start printing.

The play:

- USO bull call spreads exp 1/2021, 7c/12c. I don't think USO is gonna shoot to 40, but it will take a nice leap once those shale drillers in the states get back to business.

- SPY bear put spreads at open, exp 5/15 246p/236p. I think this dead cat bounce is about to be over, so I'm trying to ride the wave down w/ staggered spreads until my prior spread dump finally reaches max profit. I just hope it can do that before theta comes for my booty.

- Also might look into some Biotech stuff, and anything that's getting near earnings. Why not shoot for the moon.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of my Limit Orders got bought. Just put in a few more for even lower stock prices. Some of them I'll be in the long haul hoping they eventually go back up. I expect even more of my outstanding ones will get bought tomorrow.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Aside from a HYSA, you're just slowly losing money to inflation sticking it under your mattress.

In hindsight, if you had cashed out a month ago when things were just starting to drop and just held onto the cash until now. You'd be in a vastly better position reentering since your cash didn't devalue as much as the stock prices. Even if you remove the hindsight factor, most people were predicting that things were going down and were going to stay down all the way back in the First week of march. And its only dropped since then.

If you had retreated for that one month, you'd basically increased your position by ~30% which when the markets go back up would result in more gains per share. All that for taking a temporary 1 month hit in interest in your HYSA. So in that sense, taking a temporary retreat into Cash and just holding it until either things stabilize or start going up isn't that bad of an option overall. Especially during extremely volitile times like we are seeing recently.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm dumb at macroeconomics, so can someone answer me a question?

There's calls for the US to borrow at 0.2% interest to build infrastructure and get people working. Makes total sense to me. The money is cheap. But here's my question.

There has to be a reason, but if money is so cheap couldn't they essentially "refinance" a bunch of the debt that they already have? Yah know, take a bunch of the "free money" and pay off China or the Saudis or whoever else owns our debt these days.

I don't get how it all works. Googled it yesterday and couldn't find an answer.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm dumb at macroeconomics, so can someone answer me a question?

There's calls for the US to borrow at 0.2% interest to build infrastructure and get people working. Makes total sense to me. The money is cheap. But here's my question.

There has to be a reason, but if money is so cheap couldn't they essentially "refinance" a bunch of the debt that they already have? Yah know, take a bunch of the "free money" and pay off China or the Saudis or whoever else owns our debt these days.

I don't get how it all works. Googled it yesterday and couldn't find an answer.
I don't think you can just "pay off" treasury bonds. They have an expiration date, unless the party in question decides to sell them back to the US Government at their current value.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
Been long on ATHX for 6 years with 10k shares. Gradually been building my position with left over savings.

They have a fast track by the FDA for ARDS treatment which is also caused by COVID-19. The CEO was just on Fox news today. It has been going up the past week, and it sucks I don't have more shares. But I got burned several times in the past chasing a rally, so I'm just going to sit on what I have. I don't have the money on hand to get into a larger position now, but I can see this going $100+ pps with their MultiStem treatment.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
In hindsight, if you had cashed out a month ago when things were just starting to drop and just held onto the cash until now. You'd be in a vastly better position reentering since your cash didn't devalue as much as the stock prices. Even if you remove the hindsight factor, most people were predicting that things were going down and were going to stay down all the way back in the First week of march. And its only dropped since then.

If you had retreated for that one month, you'd basically increased your position by ~30% which when the markets go back up would result in more gains per share. All that for taking a temporary 1 month hit in interest in your HYSA. So in that sense, taking a temporary retreat into Cash and just holding it until either things stabilize or start going up isn't that bad of an option overall. Especially during extremely volitile times like we are seeing recently.
I agree. When the house is on fire, get out of the house.
Setting stop losses would have saved a lot of people a lot of money. Then they'd only lose whatever the stop loss was set at. 10% or whatever. Take that loss instead of 50%+ losses by hanging on. Then sit on the cash and decide when to buy back in would get more and cheaper stock.

For years, the advice has been to buy and hold. Youtube is full of these people. That advice has always made me cringe. Just holding on and waiting it out when the market is crashing makes little sense. So many losses could have been avoided. It could take many years for the stocks to get back to pre-crash levels. Maybe never.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Setting stop losses would have saved a lot of people a lot of money. Then they'd only lose whatever the stop loss was set at. 10% or whatever. Take that loss instead of 50%+ losses by hanging on. Then sit on the cash and decide when to buy back in would get more and cheaper stock.

For years, the advice has been to buy and hold. Youtube is full of these people. That advice has always made me cringe. Just holding on and waiting it out when the market is crashing makes little sense. So many losses could have been avoided. It could take many years for the stocks to get back to pre-crash levels. Maybe never.

Especially if we get into a Japan situation whereby the stock market never gets back to those highs.

Trailing stop losses are critical in any trading account.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Been long on ATHX for 6 years with 10k shares. Gradually been building my position with left over savings.

They have a fast track by the FDA for ARDS treatment which is also caused by COVID-19. The CEO was just on Fox news today. It has been going up the past week, and it sucks I don't have more shares. But I got burned several times in the past chasing a rally, so I'm just going to sit on what I have. I don't have the money on hand to get into a larger position now, but I can see this going $100+ pps with their MultiStem treatment.

...dude...u got 10,000 shares. I got 10 and happy. should have bought more when it was 2.50 but I didnt know enough yet

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone thinking stocks will drop more? I wanna get more VTI for about $85 or so.

No one here can tell you what stocks are going to do from day to day.

But there are some really bad weeks ahead for the United States in terms of human cost and economic reports. I expect another big fall. I still hold by my prediction of a 14,000 Dow floor right now.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
No one here can tell you what stocks are going to do from day to day.

But there are some really bad weeks ahead for the United States in terms of human cost and economic reports. I expect another big fall. I still hold by my prediction of a 14,000 Dow floor right now.
Predictions are welcomed lol. I am hoping for another 20% dip.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017

The fear is always that you sell in anticipation of a lower bottom…and the market bounces back earlier than expected and doesn't drop to the lows you wanted to buy in at. Then you're stuck deciding if you want to keep waiting or buying back in at a higher price than you sold at.

But every action (and non action) carries a degree of risk so you just have to weigh your options, knowing there's a chance you could be wrong.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
...dude...u got 10,000 shares. I got 10 and happy. should have bought more when it was 2.50 but I didnt know enough yet

I know, I should be satisfied. Just hindsight is making me greedy seeing where it's at now. I've seen spikes like this in the past, and it eventually drops back down to sub $2. If the news starts to slow down, I could see it dropping down again... but this time feels different. Due to this virus, this may be this stock's chance to really climb now. Money aside, obviously I hope it does turn out to be an effective treatment for the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.