• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Lmao. I think someone here mentioned it would be sweet if DAL dropped to $10 a share and I'm thinking it might just go that low even if things get really bad for it.

Lmao. I think someone here mentioned it would be sweet if DAL dropped to $10 a share and I'm thinking it might just go that low even if things get really bad for it.

That was me!

Although even at $10, I would need some assurance of another govt bailout or them being bought by another airline.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
I think most airlines are risky right now because there's no reason to really keep any one in particular with there being so much competition. The only reason I can see Delta getting a bailout (in addition to anything already passed) is because it's located in Georgia which is a Republican state.

I don't think cruiselines are that risky. They probably won't be operating for a while, but I can't imagine they're at risk of going bankrupt. Just waiting for their stock to drop lower.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That was me!

Although even at $10, I would need some assurance of another govt bailout or them being bought by another airline.
The problem with that is, a company can be acquired and the investors can still be all but wiped out. Bear Stearns e.g., it was $30 on the Friday iirc, and $2 on Monday morning which was the agreed price for the stock swap deal.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why Buffet dumped DAL but I'm not in the business of betting against Buffet.

Guys, he still owns nearly 60 million shares still.

He dumps 15M, at price X, peoples freak out and sell, price of DAL drops down under X, he buys back his shares at a bargain and makes even more cash in the future.

This is fucking Buffet, he's not losing billions without a strategy, this motherfucker has so much influence, he's manipulating the market.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

He dumps 15M, at price X, peoples freak out and sell, price of DAL drops down under X, he buys back his shares at a bargain and makes even more cash in the future.

This is fucking Buffet, he's not losing billions without a strategy, this motherfucker has so much influence, he's manipulating the market.
He hasn't scared me off of DAL. I still think my investment will double in 5 or 6 years. Just wish I waited 8 hours. :P

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
PVE was already out of whack. Just going to get worse next Q.

Then again, where does a rich person worried about inflation stash his cash? What's more risky, overpriced equity, negative rates bonds, or uncle sam printing dollars.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018

Bingo. This is basic billionaire market strategy. Anyone buying into the smoke and mirrors the market manipulators are currently flashing in order to make bank on a collapsing economy, is in for a very rude (and expensive) awakening soon.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Even at the best of times, airline stock is avoided by many investors. Many airline companies have failed. They have very high operating costs. Profits are directly tied to fuel prices. Very susceptible to events like 9-11 and now collapsed by coved.
Airline stock fluctuates wildly and are so risky that they need to be closely monitored. Most financial advisors usually just say... avoid.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just because DAL could be bailed out doesn't mean its stock price will be preserved. This is why I don't like messing with Boeing either. I think GE is the illustrative example here.

GE_stock_price_20_years.png

For the record I do think bailouts of DAL/BA are likely, but I don't know if that makes them good investments or trading opportunities.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
There is always a saying that the stock market doesn't like being away from it's 20 period moving average too long, and you can see the spy magnet back to it on the latest rally. One of the reasons I was looking for a bear market reversal rally a couple Sundays ago, because it was far away from it's 20 day simple moving average.

fpLaFQm.jpg

However, now that the market is back to the 20 day simple moving average , it is getting pushed down by said 20 day SMA. The goal is to have this line curl upwards and act as support as you can see on the rally before the plunge. Will likely take awhile to accomplish. Bear markets aren't typically something that turn right away, but happen over time, so I'm not expecting the quick V recover. Bear market rallies? Sure. But the all clear is likely a fair clip away because we are only 6 weeks into this bear market. Sp500 2350 or 2400, could be areas where the market tries to flatten out this curve to go sideways, or go into a sideways wave. Get a rally going to go into a choppy wave up and down. Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we went sideways between like 2350 and 2800 for the next year or two to get out of this bear market. Or just get pushed down slowly to 2000 and then move between 2000 and 2800. Better than completely crashing. Though I suppose depending on how much cash you are sitting on you might want the market to keep going down.

The only way I can see the market truly V is that the economic damage from Covid 19 is minimal, and productivity goes back to normal by June. However, I believe this is a tall task.

Last edited:

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I am thinking to put some money split evenly across Delta, United, and American Airlines. My rationale being that the stocks are very low right now and this is filling a need that will continue to exist and cannot be replaced.

Good idea, bad idea? What is the risk of these going out of business? Should I include Southwest?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am thinking to put some money split evenly across Delta, United, and American Airlines. My rationale being that the stocks are very low right now and this is filling a need that will continue to exist and cannot be replaced.

Good idea, bad idea? What is the risk of these going out of business? Should I include Southwest?
if this is money you're perfectly willing to lose, sure, go with it, but generally speaking it's not a good idea to go all in on one thing. if you have enough to invest in multiple airlines, maybe pick one and invest rest in something else?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

Why would you place a bet on an entire industry like that? Seems like a better idea to put some money on the strongest airline (Delta) and then place other bets elsewhere. Banks have also been pummeled. Starbucks has been crushed. Disney is down a lot.

Personally I recommend most people be very careful buying individual companies at a time like this though. It's far safer to buy the S&P and just place a bet on the U.S economy making a big comeback in 2021 and 2022.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you place a bet on an entire industry like that? Seems like a better idea to put some money on the strongest airline (Delta) and then place other bets elsewhere. Banks have also been pummeled. Starbucks has been crushed. Disney is down a lot.

Personally I recommend most people be very careful buying individual companies at a time like this though. It's far safer to buy the S&P and just place a bet on the U.S economy making a big comeback in 2021 and 2022.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I am also planning to separately put money in the S&P500, after it goes down some more. Allow me to give my rationale for why I am looking at a modest airline investment, which may be total bullshit and if so do call me out on it. The airline industry stocks are dirt cheap right now, having decreased more on a percent basis than 95% of other major firms (down to 1/3 to 1/4 of peak value). Further air travel is an integral economic activity, and thus it can be said that within reason that the industry as a whole will recover eventually (which cannot be said of the other dirt cheap stocks such as movie theater chains and cruise lines). The only challenge is if a particular company goes under completely or stuck in a bailout with unfavorable terms for shareholders. This is why I would propose to split my money in this sector across the big 3; i.e., if I can get 2+ fold return long-term on 2/3 it would still make sense even if 1/3 goes down the tubes. Again, if my thinking is flawed here let me know. I won't invest until Wednesday.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Thanks for the thoughts.

I am also planning to separately put money in the S&P500, after it goes down some more. Allow me to give my rationale for why I am looking at a modest airline investment, which may be total bullshit and if so do call me out on it. The airline industry stocks are dirt cheap right now, having decreased more on a percent basis than 95% of other major firms (down to 1/3 to 1/4 of peak value). Further air travel is an integral economic activity, and thus it can be said that within reason that the industry as a whole will recover eventually (which cannot be said of the other dirt cheap stocks such as movie theater chains and cruise lines). The only challenge is if a particular company goes under completely or stuck in a bailout with unfavorable terms for shareholders. This is why I would propose to split my money in this sector across the big 3; i.e., if I can get 2+ fold return long-term on 2/3 it would still make sense even if 1/3 goes down the tubes. Again, if my thinking is flawed here let me know. I won't invest until Wednesday.
Your basic logic is not flawed. The airlines aren't going away. I just don't see a point in betting on three of them. I'd rather bet on the strongest airline, and then place bets in other sectors, like Starbucks and Disney. The idea of placing too many eggs in a single basket just doesn't seem like the best idea regardless of how critical that industry is.

Investing like this is one of those things where everyone will have their own strategies though.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thoughts.

The airplanes won't go away, but the equity certainly can.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed that I never got my Tesla $350ish shares. Based on everything that's happened thus far, I can't see them hitting that low.

For Disney my target was $75 weeks ago. Maybe I can hope for $80 and below in the future?

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
I'm annoyed that I never got my Tesla $350ish shares. Based on everything that's happened thus far, I can't see them hitting that low.

For Disney my target was $75 weeks ago. Maybe I can hope for $80 and below in the future?

I'm waiting for another crash and I have no idea why its been up beyond pure manipulation

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I'm waiting for another crash and I have no idea why its been up beyond pure manipulation

There are roughly 450 MILLION trades just on the Dow each day. No organization is large enough to manipulate that. Yes, the Fed and Congress are pumping liquidity in the market. That's what they're supposed to do and anyone shorting the market should know it will continue.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said last month, airlines are going to go bankrupt in May receive the bailout and then go bankrupt in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.