• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Might be a historically bad day point wise, depending on where the market finishes. Not too much of a blip percentage wise though as markets arent too far off alltime highs. There was a decent sell-off late last week so we shall see if we run into a similar situation (which looked very scary at the time) to last December and May 2018 as well. This is mostly on China trade news.

Edit: Please check out the Retirement ERA thread too. The OP is a great resource for any retirement questions but also for answering questions if you're just starting out. Itll breakdown the different securities you may be interested in trading as well as walk you through how to get started.

www.resetera.com

Retirement-Era |OT| How to Invest For Retirement OT

Investing Primer (What's a stock anyway?) This section will hopefully give you a clear understanding of terminology you'll come across in this thread as well as why we give the advice that we do. Most things here will not be fully technically discussed because it's not really relevant to...

Last edited:

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
In before someone with no idea says capitalism is ending in the next few weeks.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Following crypto really desensitizes you to this type of movement in the stock market.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
time for bored fun

2WhStno.png

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see how it shakes out but I wouldn't be surprised if it regains some of that before the week is over. Maybe itll be different this time but who knows.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how it shakes out but I wouldn't be surprised if it regains some of that before the week is over. Maybe itll be different this time but who knows.

Not sure if it will be different... yet, but we are clearly heading towards an end of this run. Between China, Europe and Brexit, combined with slowing growth from earning season I'm not really anxious to buy "this" dip because there is no "the fundamentals are good" point right now. China basically said "we're out until the election is over" and I don't expect Trump of all people to blink, so thats not going away anytime soon.

Oct 28, 2017
I've got some stocks held in various companies and every few minutes, I'm losing a few pounds. Pretty depressing stuff. Only really got into investment recently since I've got no real savings to speak of. I don't earn a lot so I thought I might as well give it a try with some spare cash I had.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Meh, if the trade war escalates we'll be in trouble. Not a big deal for now

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't sweat it. It's probably the result of normalizing the small boost after the Fed cut rates 0.25% last week, it'll rebound by end of day.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm supposed to start buying when stockbrokers start jumping, right?

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've got some stocks held in various companies and every few minutes, I'm losing a few pounds. Pretty depressing stuff. Only really got into investment recently since I've got no real savings to speak of. I don't earn a lot so I thought I might as well give it a try with some spare cash I had.

You haven't lost anything unless you cash out. If you wanted short-term cash you shouldn't put that money in the stock market. Gains and drops are not something to be concerned about daily when you are invest for decades.

If you we're putting small amounts of cash you had in the market to make it big, you're basically gambling.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
China ceasing imports of US agricultural products among other things is just beating the shit out of the market.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Stonks 📉

The market is so far divorced from anything related to me personally that its hard for me to relate to it moving unless its a recession.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Today was a good day. Up 200% on my finance puts. More if i held them until now, but sold at open.

Oct 28, 2017
You haven't lost anything unless you cash out. If you wanted short-term cash you shouldn't put that money in the stock market. Gains and drops are not something to be concerned about daily when you are invest for decades.

If you we're putting small amounts of cash you had in the market to make it big, you're basically gambling.

Yeah I know the script, I'm long term with this. Just crazy to see it all seemingly drain away over minutes and hours. The company I use for managing it give you realtime updates and its just ticking away, going ever higher into the red. A week ago I was up 6%, now at -6%.

Basically I've put it into a diverse enough selection of stuff and I'm forgetting about it, but out of curiosity I check it every week or so, to get a feel for how markets change. The dividends will probably get me more than any stock growth anyway.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
365 days ago the stock market was... About 1% lower than it is now. Yay returns.

Either way, this is just a continuation of the trade war sell off with China devaluing its currency because of the threat of Trump's tarriffs. Tune in next week when the market convinces itself that the trade talks really are going somewhere this time. Or maybe not. I'm not holding my breath on there being percentage gains this year.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It was doing well for a while, and dropped last week a bit after the Fed announcement regarding interest rates. Then it recovered the following day...until Trump opened his mouth about more China tariffs, and it's been down since then. This is why Trump will never match Obama on the stock market. Both had a growing economy, but Obama didn't fight trade wars and make unpredictable comments that could tank the market. The market hates trade wars as should anyone with a brain.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it should be, the tariff announcement on Friday would obviously have an impact today [prob for the rest of the week].

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I think today was more due to china weakening the yuan.

Yeah, allowing the yuan to weaken as far as it did is basically a signal that China is expecting this to last until after the next election. I'm not sure what kind of internal pressure they will get from citizens, but if any kind of reporting is correct, the regime pressure is to stop with Trump

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally I feel there is a bad recession coming based on the amount of people I know who have been laid off or fired this summer around the country.

Hope I am wrong though.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
There does seem to be some evidence these stupid tariffs are starting to slow the economy some. Saw this on linkedin this morning, their economist made some good points:

Yep. Anyone in a perceived hot field could realize it wasn't actually that hot. The wage offerings aren't high enough to entice people to leave. For IT, unless you're a senior security or network engineer, it's mostly straight contract or contract to hire, and the wages aren't even that competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.