• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Question: Is the correct thing to do with my 401k right now still nothing?

That was my take away when we panicked a month ago and I'm just wondering if I should still be doing nothing. I never check this thread

Oct 30, 2017
I mentioned a few pages back that I put €30k into a multi assets portfolio (MAP) about 18 months ago.

Start of March it was at 33.5k.

Now its down to 26.8k.

:(

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't trust yesterday's rally. I'm torn between selling for short term profit or holding long term for real gains.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't trust yesterday's rally. I'm torn between selling for short term profit or holding long term for real gains.

If feels like folks as a whole aren't paying attention to how bad the virus is getting. The USA is about two weeks away from an experiencing a 9/11's worth of deaths every single day and the American psyche and workforce aren't ready for it. Trump and Trump supporters are already back to "it's basically just a flu, we're going to reopen by Easter" mode and none of them appear to be looking at the numbers. It's going to be devastating. The markets will not be sheltered from it.

That not alarmism. That's math.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If feels like folks as a whole aren't paying attention to how bad the virus is getting. The USA is about two weeks away from an experiencing a 9/11's worth of deaths every single day and the American psyche and workforce aren't ready for it. Trump and Trump supporters are already back to "it's basically just a flu, we're going to reopen by Easter" mode and none of them appear to be looking at the numbers. It's going to be devastating. The markets will not be sheltered from it.

Absolutely. My friend who also trades said these moves don't make sense to us, and once the death toll starts racking up and the unemployment numbers hitting, the real pain will start.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

The stock market has been completely divorced from reality for ages.

Right now, on Covid-19, they literally only listen to Trump.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna go down more, that 30% unemployment and 50% GDP loss will shock everyone.

I do think the worst drops are behind us.

Kind of hard to believe the worst drops are behind us when we haven't even had the official reports of the massive rise in employment and the loss to GDP. To say nothing of the exponential increase in deaths and cases from this. The markers would have to drop substantially.

Oct 27, 2017
What are cruise stocks going to look like when the full picture of the infected won't be known for weeks, or more? Especially in Florida?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hard to believe the worst drops are behind us when we haven't even had the official reports of the massive rise in employment and the loss to GDP. To say nothing of the exponential increase in deaths and cases from this. The markers would have to drop substantially.
I don't think we drop another 10K is what I'm saying.

I do think 5-6k are in the cards.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we drop another 10K is what I'm saying.

I do think 5-6k are in the cards.

If I had to guess right now, trying to balance optimism and pessimism, I think we'll see a Dow floor of about 14,000 - about half of its all time high to approximately match the 50% loss in GDP.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
If I had to guess right now, trying to balance optimism and pessimism, I think we'll see a Dow floor of about 14,000 - about half of its all time high to approximately match the 50% loss in GDP.
I also think around 13-14k will be the floor but it'll go back up to around 18k pretty quick once the second wave of bailouts comes imo.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Rally seems to be sustaining. Whoever was calling for this based on the technicals, looks like you were right.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, sold my AMD for 12% gain ... I still think we're going back down at some point.

Looking to exit WORK at $27

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
is that easily discernible from current statistics?
When Italy started their lockdown they had 97 daily deaths, and it rose to a peak of 793 because almost everyone dying was already infected before the lockdown. Last night in the US there had been 211 deaths in the previous 24 hours, and lockdowns started in the worst hit areas about 6 days ago iirc so in the meantime infections were probably doubling every 3 days (Cuomo said that stat, and I've seen it elsewhere too).

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
is that easily discernible from current statistics?

Current statistics show that US daily deaths are doubling about every 2-3 days now (closer to 2 right now, unfortunately).

March 20 saw 49 deaths on just that day alone.
March 22 saw 113 deaths on just that day alone.
March 24 saw 225 deaths on just that day alone.

www.worldometers.info

United States COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

United States Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

And the virus is everywhere.
www.nytimes.com

Coronavirus World Map: Tracking the Global Outbreak (Published 2023)

The virus has infected and killed millions of people around the world. See detailed maps and charts for each country.

None of this is panic (though if one is not at least anxious, I want the drugs that person is on). We need to really brace ourselves on a human, psychiatric, social, and financial level. This is all very public knowledge, and the simple math is right there to see even if the President of the United States himself thinks we all should be filling churches on Easter Sunday.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't wait too much, that's what drove yesterday's rally.
Yeah already sold. I thought the stimulus passing might do more to raise proces today, but after the initial spike I went ahead and sold a bunch of stuff. Took a total loss of around $150, but now have $3500 unused money in my ROTH to spend on the next drop.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Maxed out my Roth IRA last week.

Now I just have to convince myself to stop looking at the account so often like I've been doing lately

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
the simple math is right there to see even if the President of the United States himself thinks we all should be filling churches on Easter Sunday.
As someone noted, he wants to see packed churches because he's such a religious person, and he already gave up your grandparents for Lent.

And if you're looking for the Trumps to understand simple math...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL SPY, what is going on.

$230 EOD pls
You entered too early. The only reason it wouldn't be green today is if the stimulus bill failed again. Expect another little pump once the vote passes. Unemployment tomorrow is probably priced in as well unless it's truly catastrophic. Which it might be, I'm considering reloading my puts after the stimulus vote. Going mid May though.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Bought in yesterday. Tesla, 3M, DAL, Casper. I'll check it all out next year and pray I've made enough for a downpayment on a base model Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.