• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting no. 3.2 million is within many analysts estimates. That was priced in. Today will depend on what other news comes out, and with the House likely to pass the stimulus package we might even end green again.

wow...ur right....going up 3% so far.

Should I wait or just buy my stocks?

again im 26 years away from using my roth

Jun 10, 2018
I am completely out of my depth here, but from my perspective I just don't believe the bill is enough. Certainly not enough to reverse the trend of even more layoffs and furloughs as companies heavily reliant on consumer spending continue to downsize.

Approaching this pandemic which will likely last multiple months with what I feel is a stopgap solution just doesn't make sense.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am completely out of my depth here, but from my perspective I just don't believe the bill is enough. Certainly not enough to reverse the trend of even more layoffs and furloughs as companies heavily reliant on consumer spending continue to downsize.

Approaching this pandemic which will likely last multiple months with what I feel is a stopgap solution just doesn't make sense.
This is what can get through pubs. The fed is basically doing unlimited money on the other side of it.
i dont get it ... i just dont get it
The market is dumb.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And you're saying the Market didn't price in the passing of the bill that we had every detail on for the past week...
They did, then deal fell through a few times and market dropped again, then apprehension set in.

Market is riding the wave right now. The big banks know this likely won't last. They have the most brilliant quants in the workforce on payroll and access to all the same historical data.

Thats why it's difficult to time. Historical recession data says S&P should touch 2700 before it drops again. But everyone knows that, so it could happen earlier or later since everyone is looking for an edge. It's a big game of chicken.

Timing the market is gambling. Remember that.

Last edited:

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
This whole market is not a reflection of reality for a long time, even when everything was overpriced.

It is this way because tax rates being low coupled with expansionary fiscal AND monetary policy is a bad, bad mixture. We experienced hyper inflation in the stock market essentially. We will have to raise takes on the wealthy and eventually bring back reasonable interest rates to see a return of healthy, well functioning markets.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem here too is this isn't a typical recession so it's hard for us to overlay it. We have people essentially betting that these are "good deals" because the economy is going to spin back up quickly and people who think it'll tank hard because this will go on far longer than we thought.

This isn't a clear trajectory and if it was, it would be easy to invest.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I finally set up a Roth through Vanguard last week but I was going to wait a bit longer before beginning to move money over to it.

Now I'm looking at this week's market rally and thinking hmm...

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI
2Vx7P4h.png

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem here too is this isn't a typical recession so it's hard for us to overlay it. We have people essentially betting that these are "good deals" because the economy is going to spin back up quickly and people who think it'll tank hard because this will go on far longer than we thought.

This isn't a clear trajectory and if it was, it would be easy to invest.
This too. We're in uncharted territory with this recession.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Wtf is with this market? Cashed out day before yesterday as I was positive it would plummet by at least today, and yet here we are. Ugh. Should have left it in. I still think it's heading down at some point, but this is bizarre. All bad news and up up up it goes.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Drop 35 percent in one month we were going to get one heck of a snap back if it happened. Remember, long stretched rubber band to the downside. Either market was going to break and fall off a cliff or snap back hard. We got the snap back. Big money might be going for spy 260 now. Could go as high as 270 if you believe we are in wave 4 of an Elliot wave. Above 270 and the market might be pricing in this event will be ending in a couple months. Interesting times.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just sold off my 100 shares of MGM at $14 a piece, bought them about $8.50, so about $550 profit (65% gain). I might reinvest it back into MGM if it ever gets that low again lol

Also sold off some shares of NTDOY (Nintendo), only had 13. So gained a nice $100 from that too.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was being smart when I sold yesterday morning... Just another lesson to never try timing the market. Next time there's another dip I'm just going all in on ETFs and SEDG and then being done with it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
For those of you wondering why the market is going up, remember that the market is driven by people. It is irrational.

But irrational can only go so far, especially when going up. The unemployment numbers, abysmal PMI and earnings will push it back down within 2 weeks.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I should have definitely thrown a few G's at airline and cruise stocks. I mean they were at like 20 year lows 🤦‍♂️ Use your brain 🙁

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was being smart when I sold yesterday morning... Just another lesson to never try timing the market. Next time there's another dip I'm just going all in on ETFs and SEDG and then being done with it.

This is what I did when we were in the 19K range. Had a bunch of money sitting around uninvested and didn't want to add more to my portfolio when we were peaking at 29K because it just felt like it wasn't going to last, although no one could have predicted a drop this precipitous. Stuck a bunch in a few ETFs. Helps that I am not a day trader, just someone investing for retirement.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is with this market? Cashed out day before yesterday as I was positive it would plummet by at least today, and yet here we are. Ugh. Should have left it in. I still think it's heading down at some point, but this is bizarre. All bad news and up up up it goes.
It's an artificial attempt to rally on the back of the Senate stimulus package, and 99% chance it will fail as more and more economic bad news drop between record unemployment, and awful drops in Fiscal Results all around, not counting the continuing pandemic news.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I should have definitely thrown a few G's at airline and cruise stocks. I mean they were at like 20 year lows 🤦‍♂️ Use your brain 🙁
I definitely threw in $5k at one of the cruise lines when it dropped to $19/share (from $135/share in January). Currently, it's at $46/share so I've more than doubled my investment (potentially, obv as I haven't withdrawn) but won't take it out for years to come. This should work out nicely.

Last edited:

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
It's an artificial attempt to rally on the back of the Senate stimulus package, and 99% chance it will fail as more and more economic bad news drop between record unemployment, and awful drops in Fiscal Results all around, not counting the continuing pandemic news.

Transferred more money into my brokerage account, but I guess I'm just going to sit on it for another week or so and see what happens. I just don't see how this is sustainable in any sort of way.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Front page of every news outlet makes it look like the world is about to end..

Markets up

Having a hard time liquidating. I know I should..

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely threw in $5k at one of the cruise lines when it dropped to $19/share (from $135/share in January). Currently, it's at $46/share so I've more than doubled my investment (potentially, obv as I haven't withdrawn) but won't take it out for years to come. This should work out nicely.
Norwegian and carnival where at like 10 bucks. Delta was stupid down and obviously Boeing hit like sub 90

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I sold a bit yesterday too..Still think we'll see another drop in a few weeks, saving my cash until then and gonna buy MSFT and ETFs.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm still on the waiting train. I know it will get worse before it gets better. Though it is entirely possible I will make no moves at all....

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The Dow Jones isn't the economy. Congress just gave companies Billions of dollars to keep themselves afloat. This doesn't mean these same companies won't layoff people in a down economy. People say the market is unpredictable but from what I've seen there is some predictability to it. It was always going to go up based on the passage of this bill. Now how many days this last I couldn't tell you. It wishful thinking for the people at the top to think this virus consequences will only last a few weeks.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
This is purely technical trading decoupled from news...

Looks that way to me too. Downtrend still not been broken yet. Big rallies happen in bear markets, this was expected from a technical perspective. Now it should get a little tougher to move higher because coming into some overhead resistance soon. Whether it be spy 260 or 270. The charge higher can't falter now if the trend is going to be broken.

The Dow Jones isn't the economy. Congress just gave companies Billions of dollars to keep themselves afloat. This doesn't mean these same companies won't layoff people in a down economy. People say the market is unpredictable but from what I've seen there is some predictability to it. It was always going to go up based on the passage of this bill. Now how many days this last I couldn't tell you. It wishful thinking for the people at the top to think this virus consequences will only last a few weeks.

Yup, if anything the stock market is a market of repeating patterns over history. Take a look at virtually any chart and you will see the same patterns happen over and over and over and over again.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if I'm going to get my Disney $75 and Tesla $350 price point. Still DCAing 401K contributions so I'm still good there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.