• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
2 episodes into season 2 and I still don't get Soren's character. Claudia is fun, she's dark and capable but has humour and nice moments.

Soren on the other hand is just like "yeah I can totally kill the princes who I grew up with and am friends with just because my dad said so"

I hope his character improves because his motivations don't make any sense

Yeah you really need to finish up the series, the last couple of episodes expand all the characters.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to Soren anyone else feel like:

His line going:

"I don't have to worry about doing anything terrible because... now I can't do anything."

Honestly gave him a lot more depth? Like I didn't really care for him at all but it was in that moment that I genuinely felt sympathy for the character.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Flashbacks were great in terms of getting me interested in the world as a whole, but I especially love the development they are doing in the present day with characters like Soren and Claudia. They act as antagonists, but as people they are a lot more complicated. I think Claudia and Ezran sitting on the tower talking about life was my favorite scene in the season. You get what is effectively one of the main heroes and one of the seeming villains and they're both going through a lot and just trying to understand it together for a bit. Also, Aaravos is pretty darn powerful if that ending Viren fight is anything to go by.

Aaravos is one of the few mages that mastered all 5 primals of the world iirc so yea he is the ultimate wizard

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
5fgI.gif

Peff maybe a title change/mod (S2 live - now with more FPS)
the comparisons to TLA really do this show no favors

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Does Callum have the sky arcanum inside himself or is he just the first human to figure out harnessing primal magic in the environment without having to trap it?

hes the first human to figure how to harness primal magic without a stone. He says it himself. The primal element of air has to be within him in order to breathe. Thus, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to use air based magic.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

His line going:

"I don't have to worry about doing anything terrible because... now I can't do anything."

Honestly gave him a lot more depth? Like I didn't really care for him at all but it was in that moment that I genuinely felt sympathy for the character.

Its really hard to hate him since he is trying to do what he thinks is right and he isnt a bad guy. Just he looks up to a person who wants to just love him so he will do anything to get that.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Really good season. Good world building and character development. My only issue is that it is rather slow. They're really taking their sweet time here.

Oct 26, 2017
Really good season. Good world building and character development. My only issue is that it is rather slow. They're really taking their sweet time here.
What it seems like to me, is they're pacing episodes the same way they would a 20 episode season of the last Airbender, so it ends up feeling like almost nothing has happened over a season since there are only 9 episodes

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
That one Soren moment was hilarious to me. When he's like

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me THREE times.... Back to you again.

I'm always super aware when any show starts using a cliche line like this, and always wonder how they're going to shake it up, or if it's just going to be said straight up. When he started saying this I was like there is no way this is going to be worth it, but it somehow got me lol.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That one Soren moment was hilarious to me. When he's like

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me THREE times.... Back to you again.

I'm always super aware when any show starts using a cliche line like this, and always wonder how they're going to shake it up, or if it's just going to be said straight up. When he started saying this I was like there is no way this is going to be worth it, but it somehow got me lol.
LOL

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Man I'm lowkey on the humans side when it comes to some of this dark magic stuff.

All these non humans actin all stuck up don't know what it's like to not be born with a magic conneciton smh.

Who really cares about a goddamn BUG

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017

His line going:

Pretty much the only way they could redeem how callous he seemed about murder earlier in the season. If he was truly this relieved to be paralyzed for the rest of his life, the earlier stuff must have been an act.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Do people know there will be a video game for this series and it is going to be big project, expanding the lore?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The pacing of this show is fucking awful. I legit finished the last episode of the season and was like, "I'm going to get some dinner before finishing off the rest of the season." I come back after ordering a Quesadilla only to learn that the last episode I watched was the season finale. Like, WTF? So much pointless meandering in the show where character arcs and events that show take about 1-2 episodes are padded out to 4-5 episodes. Why?!?!?!?!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Is it my imagination or "that" guy's voice actor is the same as the one who voiced "Kho the face stealer" in TLA? Especially suspect since there is another call back to Kho's form in that/those The Dragon Prince episodes?

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Binged season 2. It's a big improvement on Season 1. Glad they upped the animation and a LOT of it felt like payoff from Season 1.

It's got some great action scenes, but the big crux of this season was having really big and important moments of slowing down and taking the time to digest the events of Season 1. To process them, cope with them, and grow from them. I appreciated that, even if it felt like "not a lot was happening". It's true that the cast didn't make a lot of forward momentum physically, but internally they went through quite a journey.

This is how I felt. Finally finished it. I kept reading this complaint about S2, and plotwise sure, there wasn't some huge movement on the wide plot, but in terms of our characters relationship's development, there were some monumental shifts. I thought they nailed several of those too. It made me care far more about these characters, and it seems like season 2 was all about character growth, laying stakes for season 3+ when the plot will pick up and make what happens matter more.

I came away from season 2 thinking this show is growing into something really special. They've filled out this world, laid out its lore, deepened where our characters stand with each other, gave them real consequences to deal with, loyalties now go further, and some torn, and now we get to see where they take it all.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there is more to the story in the flashback.

Considering that Viren was the last person to see all three queens alive, I wouldn't be surprised if the way he told the stroy isnt how things exactly played out.

That's true, we got that story from a very narrow perspective. Would be incredible to see Callum and Ezran's mother appear out of nowhere in some sort of shocking reveal.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
This is how I felt. Finally finished it. I kept reading this complaint about S2, and plotwise sure, there wasn't some huge movement on the wide plot, but in terms of our characters relationship's development, there were some monumental shifts. I thought they nailed several of those too. It made me care far more about these characters, and it seems like season 2 was all about character growth, laying stakes for season 3+ when the plot will pick up and make what happens matter more.

I came away from season 2 thinking this show is growing into something really special. They've filled out this world, laid out its lore, deepened where our characters stand with each other, gave them real consequences to deal with, loyalties now go further, and some torn, and now we get to see where they take it all.

Yeah I don't care much at all about the overall plot not moving too much. The character stuff is what made it good. Also I just don't find the overall plot SUPER compelling anyway, to me the good ness in this story will be all about the characters.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Much better than season 1. Great character moments. But the pacing still isn't great.

Also, I feel the world just isn't as interesting as Avatar. While I think something like The Legend of Korra was sloppier when it came to characters, the world building was great and the plot moved at a brisk pace.

You know, I'm starting to realize that when the Showrunners and head writer for A:TLA were together, they were amazing. But separate, both teams are lacking something.

And Rayla is the best.

Also, did anyone else think they were teasing Rayla x Callum?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Is it my imagination or "that" guy's voice actor is the same as the one who voiced "Kho the face stealer" in TLA? Especially suspect since there is another call back to Kho's form in that/those The Dragon Prince episodes?

It is, and as soon as my wife heard him speak she was like "Thats Kho!! This guy is bad news!! WTF dont listen to him Viren!"

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
2 maybe gripey things I have.

I'm surprised Viren could throw that whole patriarchy meeting thing without anymore of the higherups at Katolis knowing.

Also I feel like that bird lord dude could have easily just not done what Viren asked and told people about it lol

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Something I'm sure a lot of people noticed:
Pip the bird, which maybe contains King Harrow's soul, escaped during Viren's fight with the guards.

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to watch this. I gave it an episode or two in the first season, but it didn't grab my attention and I kind of trailed off. But I feel like I owe it another shot.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
THe show's only flaw for me is a lack of episodes at the moment.

9 is too short.

I did have one complaint. They allowed the characters to meet up after the boat ride way too quickly lol. Like what the fuck. How was that even possible.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It's a series of cliffhangers!

Looking forward to more!

Oddly enough, Viren is both more villainous but also more sympathetic this season.

That "guy" is all mystery and menace and it's great. Especially since the repeated thwarting of the threat posed by Claudia and Soren, fun and competent as they are, is reaching Team Rocket levels.

There are so many things being teased and hinted at, it feels like there's a greater structure about to unfold which is pretty exciting.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
THe show's only flaw for me is a lack of episodes at the moment.

9 is too short.

I did have one complaint. They allowed the characters to meet up after the boat ride way too quickly lol. Like what the fuck. How was that even possible.
Seeing as it's only been 5 months since the first season, the length seems fine to me. Just think of seasons 1 and 2 as two halves of an 18 episode season if it makes it easier.

I just finished Season 2 and loved it, particularly the way they fleshed out the world and characters. It's a real pity we can't get more of Callum and Ezran's mum (unless there's some kind of shock twist), cause she was great. Can't wait for Season 3, hopefully it comes just as quickly as Season 2.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Dug this season though I felt the pacing was kind of slow at times. Last episode as usual was great and next season is looking to be hype. The character designs are just fantastic, especially for the new ones this season.

The forced humor really holds this show back. They just can't exercise any restraint, can they?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Dug this season though I felt the pacing was kind of slow at times. Last episode as usual was great and next season is looking to be hype. The character designs are just fantastic, especially for the new ones this season.

The forced humor really holds this show back. They just can't exercise any restraint, can they?

Not sure I agree about forced humor. Honestly I found the humor to be quite good.