• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Great season. Can't wait for more!

My favorite scene:
3c66mpu.gif
:D

Can't wait for more.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just started watching the show...I like it a bit so far, though it doesn't feel as good as Avatar. Also man I thought I'd get used to the animation but I really, really am not. It feels ridiculously choppy. Does it get better as the show goes on? I ask because this is the one show in my life that makes me want to turn on frame interpolation or literally anything to make this feel smoother. Like, I'll take blurry and incoherent over this amount of choppy, it feels less like a stylistic choice and more like the show is somehow lagging :/ then again I only watched one episode so, hey, maybe it gets better as the show goes on?

...Does the animation get better?

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching the show...I like it a bit so far, though it doesn't feel as good as Avatar. Also man I thought I'd get used to the animation but I really, really am not. It feels ridiculously choppy. Does it get better as the show goes on? I ask because this is the one show in my life that makes me want to turn on frame interpolation or literally anything to make this feel smoother. Like, I'll take blurry and incoherent over this amount of choppy, it feels less like a stylistic choice and more like the show is somehow lagging :/ then again I only watched one episode so, hey, maybe it gets better as the show goes on?

in season 2 yes

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
She's supposed to be an elite assassin though.
Yeah i do like the way her character was in season 2 but it is a big change. I can understand her chilling out after travelling with the princes for a while but maybe not that quickly and that much

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i do like the way her character was in season 2 but it is a big change. I can understand her chilling out after travelling with the princes for a while but maybe not that quickly and that much
That's why I liked Avatar much better, you really got to see the kids progress into competent warriors after 3 seasons.
In DP, Ezran just has powers, Rayla is a goofball, and Callum is primal magic genius

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I liked Avatar much better, you really got to see the kids progress into competent warriors after 3 seasons.
In DP, Ezran just has powers, Rayla is a goofball, and Callum is primal magic genius

Avatar has a more natural progression, but it's not perfect in that regard either. Even though I loved Avatar. In the last book Sokka pretty much masters the sword in a single episode. And in the first book Katara struggles with water bending for quite a bit in the first half of the season, but in the final episodes she's a prodigy, defeating all of Paku's other students.

Avatar does better than the Dragon Prince, but Callum cast aspiro a bunch of times in season one and understood the primal stone pretty well. Now he understood the world like it was a primal stone. Something he was working on for three episodes. He didn't really go overboard with his newfound magic either. I didn't mind too much.

Aside from that I liked the progressive messages which are integrated seemlessly. The lesbian queens, Rayla's remark of 'so I'm one of the good Elves'.

I think I would've preferred the young queen to have two dads though. Any gay inclusion is of course great. I just feel there are less gay men in shows than gay women, and it's less accepted. No criticism of the show, just something I thought watching.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I think I would've preferred the young queen to have two dads though. Any gay inclusion is of course great. I just feel there are less gay men in shows than gay women, and it's less accepted. No criticism of the show, just something I thought watching.
This is an interesting point and one I agree to in general, despite personally being a queer woman. However, the moms in question are a sharp contrast to a cadre of kings and male royals in the show. The main princes, their (step)dad, Lord Viren, the dragon king, dragon prince, the several other human kings, and even Aaravos. So there's already plenty of dudes. More to the point, the girl's moms being women accentuates that Viren takes issue with her age, not her gender.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
This is an interesting point and one I agree to in general, despite personally being a queer woman. However, the moms in question are a sharp contrast to a cadre of kings and male royals in the show. The main princes, their (step)dad, Lord Viren, the dragon king, dragon prince, the several other human kings, and even Aaravos. So there's already plenty of dudes. More to the point, the girl's moms being women accentuates that Viren takes issue with her age, not her gender.

Good point. I agree. There are so many royal men (in general in shows), that it was great to see that one country was led by two gay women. Which was completely normal. I think the DragonPrince does really well with this. Better than other shows. The kings wife is both a bad ass, strong willed, but also loving. The army is led by a women, who just happens to be mute, but everybody respects the hell out of her.

So since I agree with you, let me rephrase :) I'm totally cool with the two queens, and I would really like it if the show would introduce a male gay couple.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

Turn it on, it helps.

May 26, 2018
The season REALLY picked up around episode 5. That flashback sequence was awesome.

Still feels like we're in the first season, though.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's only twelve episodes a season, so we're up to 24 now. And they've only now arrived in Xadia. Avatar had twenty episodes per season. Though the Dragon Prince could've used some sort of epic season finale by now.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess for the story

1 Moon - Moon elves assissinate Harrow
2 Sky - Zym growing up, Callum and Ezran split

3 Earth - Zym returned to Queen, Queen tells Zym to help Callum become the Avatar 6 Magic Wizard
4 Ocean - War starts, Berdo takes them around the world to avoid battle, Harrow bird joins them
5 Sun - Sol Regem teaches Callum Sun magic and Sunfire elves give them sunforged weapons
6 Stars - Aaravos/Viren and Callum fight it out,
Harrow reveals himself as the bird, Ezran dies, but Callum sacrifices himself to bring him back with dark magic so he can control Zym via their telepathic link

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The show really is getting better. This second season was leaps and bound better than the first. Not just the animation (which was the biggest leap) but even the plotting feels tighter with more epic events happening throughout. I think it will never reach Avatar levels because of the artstyle, but it's plenty good.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Should I stick with it? I thought episode 1 was a little juvenile and I found it hard to understand what the elfish one was saying when I tried season 1 a while back

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Is Rayla's accent annoying to any of you guys? I find it cute, but maybe because I'm not a native speaker I don't find it unnatural.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really like the show, in fact I actually love all the main characters.
Really hope the show runs its full course and we get to see them all grow up.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished S2 and really enjoyed it. I was kinda surprised how *dark* it can be at times.

S2 Spoilers
The elvish 'demon'/celestial being or whatever he was in the mirror was really cool, and the whole way he was slowly revealed and then the silently conveyed ritual was all really captivating.

The number of straight up deaths is kinda surprising to me. People getting shattered, a few elves getting thrown into lava alive, yikes!

I'm hoping for more backstory on the two Queens - was their daughter adopted, only one of their kids, or is their biology not normal human and permits two biological mothers (which would be kinda cool)? Given how different the two Queens looked I had some headcanon going that for that nation there's two people that unified to create the nation and they are always lead by one member of each people, and that the young queen will in time have a partner from the darker skinned people, be it male or female.

Animation can still be a little on the irritating side, but only rarely.

I think what I most like about this series so far is that character motivations and decisions are generally clear and logical. The plot isn't idiot-ball driven but actually has a sound basis given their world.

Looking forward to S3!

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Started watching season 2 a few days ago. I thought the first season was okay, but still left a lot to be desired.

I'm really happy that I'm liking the second season much more. The plot seems to actually be moving, there's more to identify with in character motivations, and the things that happen really seem to hold weight. Really starting to get into the world building to and character interactions too.

The one thing that I *really* dont like though is the cheesy reverse audio "dark magic" speak. It takes me out of the show EVERY time they do it.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Rayla's accent annoying to any of you guys? I find it cute, but maybe because I'm not a native speaker I don't find it unnatural.
I'm not a native speaker, if by that you mean of the accent vs the language, and tbh I find it a bit annoying. But I think it's more that I dislike the shows humor and she's been decidedly the source of humor alongside claudia.

It's strange and I don't know if there is someone in the writing staff of avatar who was more proficient in comedy that left the team, but neither korra nor this shows humor has reached those levels so far. In avatar where I'd laugh at the jokes and look forward to them, in here I groan and feel they are detracting from the show.

I would consider that maybe I had grown out of the humor, but I rewatched avatar not too long ago and the humor still got me more often than not.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Thought this was a very good video. :)

Really explains why I feel like this show is the first series to capture that feeling of Avatar.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
^ I only got a few minutes into that video and decided to finally set aside the time to give this a watch. Was half-watching it while playing something else and by the middle of episode 2 I was focusing all my attention on the show.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that was really put off by the animation at first but after working through the first season it's smooth sailing (literally?).

The staff that did avatar and this know how to put together such an engaging world.

I like Rayla's accent though :(

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final got to watch Season 2 and I really liked it. Good to see the animation improving too.

Im not the only one who thinks Viren is lying through his teeth and he killed Queen Sarai right?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Was sick this week so started watching from Season 1 and holy cow I thought both seasons were great. I never really noticed the animation either.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Was sick this week so started watching from Season 1 and holy cow I thought both seasons were great. I never really noticed the animation either.
Are you me? Also sick this week so I started watching this! I'm still halfway through s2 though, but will probably watch the rest today. Loving it so far.

Am I the only one who was really amused by the scenes of Viren looking through that mirror and copying the other character's movements? It was like he was watching one of those YouTube make-up tutorials lol.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone else feel like the ending of season 2 was really lackluster? I specifically mean the very final scene.

I didn't realize episode 9 was the final episode and was kind of shocked there was nothing left, since the final reveal really didn't seem to have the gravity or impact I would expect from the end of a season finale.