• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
When the fuck did the king die? He wasnt even in that fight and all of a sudden theres a funeral?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped at episode 4.

I like it. There are some good ambiguity in character stances

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Wooo! Scottish elves!

Looks beautiful, liking Soren who seems to be more than the usual knight type, although his dad is obvs going to do something murky without the King's knowledge.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The evil sorcerer guy is such a lame damn trope. I really hope he shows a bit more complexity later but I doubt he will.

Also, what in the world is going on the with King? I bet his soul was placed in his bird since the bird is trapped in the cage and is just sitting there now.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"Hey you swept the leg."
"What?"
"Nothing."

vVkoPPU.gif

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
How is it? Huge fan of TLA so will check it out at some point.

Is there a reason behind the odd framerate and general choppiness?

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, despite my huge qualms with the animation, I like the writing staff and think it reviewed well enough for me to give it a shot.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to catch up with this, but Netflix also released Bojack and American Vandal. I need longer days

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching the first episode. It's pretty, and I haven't minded the framerate except for the bit where Bait was stealing hamantashen, but one limitation of the CG seems to be that the characters just don't emote. It's like their faces aren't very flexible -- they show less emotion than real actors do and nowhere near what you see in traditional animation. For example, at 15:00 this guy and his sister have an exchange where there's joking, frustration, and seriousness, and there's just not much going on there. The girl's frustrated growl after getting hit looks like a smirk. The guy's eyebrows are doing all of the work. Compare to the start of ATLA when Katara and Sokka are arguing about crashing their canoe.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't started yet but the comparisons to Avatar are already making me resentful

Stubbornly refuse to believe this could ever be as good

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
So how is it, I am not expecting The Last Airbender quality but hopefully its more enjoyable than Legend of Korra, I really didn't like that series.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit didn't know this was so soon! Gonna try to binge watch this weekend.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"You are a servant."

That was a great scene. Excellent character and motivation building if Viren turns out to be the villain.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I binged through all of Book 1

This really is the successor to Avatar: The Last Airbender. From the intro setting up the world, the forces of magic at work, the deity like being that everyone is after, the chase across the world, a journey of a group of misfits trying to save it, even the humour is totally Avatar.

All of the characters are super likeable and have interesting arcs being set up. Callum feels like season 3 Sokka, someone who feels useless and not knowing his place in the world, but also the plan guy. Rayla feels like Zuko, trying to find redemption, but she's Katara-ish never letting people get away with things and always butting heads with Callum. Ezran feels like a younger Aang, naive but full of wisdom. He works really well even as a kid character. I think my favourite characters are the sibling pair, Soren and Claudia. They fill a similar role as Zuko and Azula, but they are also nothing like them. Theyre hilarious.

I love the idea that Rayla serves as the the two Princes bodyguard. She's really great, and as the show goes on, she has to suffer through a really serious handicap while still playing protector.

This show feels like a mix of Lord of the Rings and other RPGs, theres like even a nod to RPG classes in one of the episodes.

I really love this show. Some of the fight choreography is really impressive. People should not let the few clips and trailers turn them off with the animation. It looks really good while youre watching. Or maybe i just got used to it.

Anyway, watch this damn show.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll check it out tonight. Hopefully the frame rate doesn't mess with me too much. Everything else looks so great.

Alethiometer

alt account
Banned
May 29, 2018
Binged the whole thing. It was not very good, but still entertaining.
The story is like SUPER generic. It's like the writer just scrolled through tvtropes' most popular and stopped his effort there.
There's a plucky young girl in the main group (can't break that 2 guys/1 girl team cliche, you know) that keeps secrets from the rest of the group. It's got a pointless animal that's made to sell toys, a young bumbling boy that longs for something greater, a Jafar-type villain, a morally ambiguous group of teens that will most definitely join the main party down the road. Dragons, elves (but with horns!), giant wolves and giant spiders, and so on. It's full of half-arsed attempts at political intrigue, heartfelt moments, and drama. It's not particularly well-told and mostly lacks substance, emotion, and depth. The pacing is all over the place. The characters are charming enough despite the tropes, though.

The worldbuilding is almost nonexistent. The whole show feels claustrophobic. We hear about the war, the border troubles, etc, but we never get to see any of this. In fact, we never get to see nothing. For the first few episodes I even doubted that the main castle's got a town around it. The show's very pretty in parts, but they just don't show you much aside from the castle, some woods, and some pretty skies. Oh, there's one village, a mountain, and a river. Wow. Can't wait to visit that amazing place, you guys! All the small details that's been put in the worldbuilding are not especially interesting or well thought-out too. Tangled: Series has more going for it than TGP in that aspect.

The magic is meh. Elements and some alchemy. Couldn't they come up with at least something new? Avatar had the whole martial art thing behind it. Some spells are pretty neat, but that's all.

The art is decent for the most part. The animation is not terrible and grows on you eventually, but the constant shift in framerate is jarring. Also, most side-chars look really bad and some of the camera angles are straight amateurish. The show can look jaw-droppingly great in one scene and laughably bad in another. They should've left it baking for another few months. Would've been leagues better as a 2d show. The soundtrack is forgettable.

It's nowhere near the quality of The Last Airbender. Not even Korra's. It's still entertaining enough due to the likeable-enough cast of characters and their banter, good character designs, entertaining action scenes, and some neat jokes here and there. It's got tropes and cliche up the wazoo, but it does them well enough to not be boring. I'll watch the second season, but after this one, it's entirely too clear that TLA was a fluke and the guys just lack talent and skill to make that good a show once again. Pity.

Last edited:

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Binged the whole thing. It was not very good, but still entertaining.
The story is like SUPER generic. It's like the writer just scrolled through tvtropes' most popular and stopped his effort there.
There's a plucky young girl in the main group (can't break that 2 guys/1 girl team cliche, you know) that keeps secrets from the rest of the group. It's got a pointless animal that's made to sell toys, a young bumbling boy that longs for something greater, a Jafar-type villain, a morally ambiguous group of teens that will most definitely join the main party down the road. Dragons, elves (but with horns!), giant wolves and giant spiders, and so on. It's full of half-arsed attempts at political intrigue, heartfelt moments, and drama. t's not particularly well-told and mostly lacks substance, emotion, and depth. The pacing is all over the place. The characters are charming enough despite the tropes, though.

The worldbuilding is almost nonexistent. The whole show feels claustrophobic. We hear about the war, the border troubles, etc, but we never get to see any of this. In fact, we never get to see nothing. For the first few episodes I even doubted that the main castle's got a town around it. The show's very pretty in parts, but they just don't show you much aside from the castle, some woods, and some pretty skies. Oh, there's one village, a mountain, and a river. Wow. Can't wait to visit that amazing place, you guys! All the small details that's been put in the worldbuilding are not especially interesting or well thought-out too. Tangled: Series has more going for it than TGP in that aspect.

The magic is meh. Elements and some alchemy. Couldn't they come up with at least something new? Avatar had the whole martial art thing behind it. Some spells are pretty neat, but that's all.

The art is decent for the most part. The animation is not terrible and grows on you eventually, but the constant shift in framerate is jarring. Also, most side-chars look really bad and some of the camera angles are straight amateurish. The show can look jaw-droppingly great in one scene and laughably bad in another. They should've left it baking for another few months. Would've been leagues better as a 2d show. The soundtrack is forgettable.

It's nowhere near the quality of The Last Airbender. Not even Korra's. It's still entertaining enough due to the likeable-enough cast of characters and their banter, good character designs, entertaining action scenes, and some neat jokes here and there. It's got tropes and cliche up the wazoo, but it does them well enough to not be boring. I'll watch the second season, but after Korra and this one, it's entirely too clear that TLA was a fluke and the guys just lack talent and skill to make that good a show once again. Pity.

Okay I agree with you but your comparison to Korra is weird. No one involved with Korra work on this show. It's a completely different group of people who didn't go on to Korra and then Voltron.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm on episode 4 but this would have to really shit the bed in later episodes to be as bad as Korra was.

Alethiometer

alt account
Banned
May 29, 2018

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh, I thought the guys who made Korra were involved in this one. My bad.

Yep

Voltron is to Korra like Dragon Prince is to Avatar

Both of thet just distillations of what made both shows great (different reasons).

I hope this show will get better in time like Avatar but I can't imagine it will.

mute aunt is clearly the best character

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's the cringiest aspect of the show both in placement and execution. It does help with the characterization of some of the characters but its used too often especially with Callum.
Callum would be so damn boring as a protagonist if he wasn't hilarious and silly. This show actually balances emotion with comedy really really well. The
waterfall and river juxtaposed against Amaya mourning for her sister
was so well done.

Speaking of, this show is so damn diverse, and I don't wanna hear some nerd argue that fantasy should be restricted to an all white cast for "immersion" ever again.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it and enjoyed it got quite a chuckle here and there. The characters are very likeable, though not feeling Viren yet and really don't like the frog pet(except when he does the Netflix start noise). The art and character design are great, and the animation can look great at times. Looking forward to the second season.

Speaking of, this show is so damn diverse, and I don't wanna hear some nerd argue that fantasy should be restricted to an all white cast for "immersion" ever again.
Yep, I praise them for having the diverse cast, really hate that all white fantasy excuse as well.

Torlain

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Finished it and enjoyed it got quite a chuckle here and there. The characters are very likeable, though not feeling Viren yet and really don't like the frog pet(except when he does the Netflix start noise). The art and character design are great, and the animation can look great at times. Looking forward to the second season.

Yep, I praise them for having the diverse cast, really hate that all white fantasy excuse as well.

Have we heard any word on when/if a second season is going to happen?

Thoroughly enjoyed the binge watch this morning.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
I recently rewatched Korra and I liked it way more the second time. Without constantly thinking about where the show could or should have gone I could really enjoy the worldbuilding, art, and character moments.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been able to sit down and watch it yet, and then Bojack and American Vandal are also tempting me. Big weekend for Netflix, heh.

Have we heard any word on when/if a second season is going to happen?

Thoroughly enjoyed the binge watch this morning.

Nothing confirmed yet, this is all there is:

Since we're assuming that the seasons correlate to the sources of magic, do you have six, or maybe seven, seasons planned out? Or ideas for that?

Aaron Ehasz: Here's the deal. We love this world. We have a lot of ideas for stories we can tell in this world. That said, we're really proud of the story that we are telling with Netflix right now, and we'll feel really happy if the audience receives that, and that's that. But we hope that an audience finds this, and we're able to tell much more of this story. And I know that's not the 100% detailed version of the answer, but you can kind of read between the lines. We'd love to tell a very epic story here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Voltron (I know it's different writers but still). I'll give this a shit though because it's pretty.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I binged through all of Book 1

This really is the successor to Avatar: The Last Airbender. From the intro setting up the world, the forces of magic at work, the deity like being that everyone is after, the chase across the world, a journey of a group of misfits trying to save it, even the humour is totally Avatar.

All of the characters are super likeable and have interesting arcs being set up. Callum feels like season 3 Sokka, someone who feels useless and not knowing his place in the world, but also the plan guy. Rayla feels like Zuko, trying to find redemption, but she's Katara-ish never letting people get away with things and always butting heads with Callum. Ezran feels like a younger Aang, naive but full of wisdom. He works really well even as a kid character. I think my favourite characters are the sibling pair, Soren and Claudia. They fill a similar role as Zuko and Azula, but they are also nothing like them. Theyre hilarious.

I love the idea that Rayla serves as the the two Princes bodyguard. She's really great, and as the show goes on, she has to suffer through a really serious handicap while still playing protector.

This show feels like a mix of Lord of the Rings and other RPGs, theres like even a nod to RPG classes in one of the episodes.

I really love this show. Some of the fight choreography is really impressive. People should not let the few clips and trailers turn them off with the animation. It looks really good while youre watching. Or maybe i just got used to it.

Anyway, watch this damn show.

Holy crap this has me hyped.

I was busy this whole day (I still have some stuff to do), but when I have the time, I'm definitely going to check this out.

This and Bojack are gonna keep me rooted to my computer seat for awhile...

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof

Watched the first episode and yep, the animation is incredibly distracting. Not sure what to do now.

Andrin

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Binged it. Adored it. Can't wait for season 2.
And I can only agree with those saying that Amaya was the best character so far.