• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the deal with Xadia assassinating multiple leaders of human kingdoms who had nothing to do with the death of the Dragon King?

It seems like we just brush off all the war crimes that the magical elf people are constantly committing in this show.
They didn't explicitly spell it out, but it was a False Flag attack.

The Moonshadow Elves assasinated the King and Prince (or at least attempted to) specifically because the King killed their King and Prince (although the Dragon Prince didn't really get killed, just captured). All killing is wrong, but at least it was a deliberate and measured response.

So Viren tries to rally the other nations to join him in a war which he wants, based on "This wasn't a one-off situation, they will be coming for all of you next."

The other nations refuse to go to war, and Viren gets upset, saying that they will all be sorry when their Kings are assassinated.

Other Kings are assassinated. Their heirs decide that Viren must have been right, so they join Viren in his war.

It wasn't the Elves behind the second round of assassinations. It was Viren, pretending to be Elves. A textbook "False Flag" attack, where you attack your own people while flying the flag of your enemy, so as to encourage them to follow you into an unjust war.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I finally forced myself to finish season 3 and the drop in quality in the writing is just massive. I disliked almost all of it and that makes me sad because the first two seasons showed so much promise. Asspulls everywhere, massive armies showing up out of nowhere to save the day, power of love to unlock power-ups, big battle was just a distraction. Name a lame, tired trope and it's there.

They also completely killed any semblance of charm or likeability Claudia ever had and turned Viren into full generic dumb evil villain guy #3457 who can't even do everyone a favor and just fucking stay dead.

Man, what a waste of time this was.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finally had a chance to watch season 3. That was pretty great. The ending felt pretty series finale like though despite the tease with Viren and the Worm's survival. Wondering how well the show is doing viewership wise.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched this show, all 3 seasons.

Overall, it was fun.

The pros:
+The animation is superb. This is the closest I've seen a 3D animated show come to replicated 2D animation and the results are damn good. The choppiness in season 1 was annoying (at times), but it was fixed in season 2 and 3. Lots of good action, and large scale fights. Solid art design.

+One of the issues with Legend of Korra was that bending was "too easy" - there were too many instances of characters discovering they could do advanced bending, just because the plot called for it. But here, Callum doesn't just start using magic - he needs to learn it and really connect with it. This was one of the highlights of the show.

+Callum in general is basically just Sokka, and is therefore awesome. Great reference to Avatar too ("Something... seems so familiar.... Boomerang?")

+The romance between Callum and Rayla was super sweet, and I'm glad it was shown fairly easy. Too many cartoons drag out the main romance to the end, and basically just show one kiss at the end. But here, they were shown being intimate multiple times through the back half of season 3.

+Evil elf trapped in the mirror. Same VA as Koh from Avatar.

+Lots of LGBT representation, a deaf woman, multiple races (rather than everyone being white)

The issues I had were significant though:
-Bad lore and world building and semi-unoriginal story. The entire setting is generic. The "one type of fake magic exclusive to humans feeds off real magical creatures" aspect is fine but everything around it is just cookie cutter. And I mean come on, "dark magic" just sounds evil.

-Occasionally clunky dialogue. For the most part, the writing was good but occasionally became a bit to cheesy. Ezran was generally the worst offender.

-A few questionable plot points. Callum and Ezran's dad resigned himself to death real quick. Seriously, your kingdom is that defenseless? Ezran abdicating was stupid and the entire plot point made little sense. Too many conveniences in the final battle (the girl queen showing up was a bit of an ass pull, though to be fair the allies Ezran left behind did say they'd go seek her out).

-Viren is only a tiny bit more compellin a villain than Unalaq was.

-The elve's accents.

Overall, i liked it. Its not even close to Avatar's legacy, and overall it holds no special place in my heart as some of the animated greats (both american and japanese) do. but it was enjoyable enough, and I'd like to see more.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
bazES4qv7A5wT_PNeyE1_QqQuL4uyUBNAwL4FX23u28KjLI_rxdwYhHH31iJSWPcY07zboLxOe33aJnRIjAVZf0HwpgAXO_35DMOy4jAzUt-p9qg5JwB86BKDumoZGEISTxohs3IVnfG8pheLJUckUviQ-KT6vGo12o

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, despite S3s flaws, the season finale was HYPE. Wish Callum retained his arms when he grows wings though, he looks a bit weird like that.

Looking forward to season 4.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hope season 4 is annouced soon . Netflix i known for cancelling after S3 for shows right?
She-Ra just finished after "5 seasons".

Right from the start, Netflix apparently told the showrunners that they could probably have 52 episodes, aka four 13-episode seasons, but then just as season 2 started Netflix said "Hey, can we break this season up into two seasons, and call it 5 seasons?", so they did that.

And She-Ra coasted on to it's natural conclusion (with a proper ending) after 52 episodes. And Netflix and the showrunners are apparently thinking of maybe doing a movie, because She-Ra did very well.

The Dragon Prince showrunners said that their plan is for 7 seasons (with maybe more after, if there's demand), but so far each season has been 9 episodes, and 9x7=63, where 65 is also a common number for episodes (five 13-episode seasons). So maybe Netflix gave The Dragon Prince a loose commitment for 65 episodes (which makes 7 smaller seasons)?

I suppose if The Dragon Prince is failing, it might get canned, but Netflix is allegedly fine with programs that barely break even, because if nothing else, it's exclusive content to put on their library shelves, as all the streaming services are currently competing to draw customers with their libraries of exclusives. Literally anything looks good to them, so long as it's exclusive. And doesn't lose too much money.

Oct 27, 2017
She-Ra just finished after "5 seasons".

Right from the start, Netflix apparently told the showrunners that they could probably have 52 episodes, aka four 13-episode seasons, but then just as season 2 started Netflix said "Hey, can we break this season up into two seasons, and call it 5 seasons?", so they did that.

And She-Ra coasted on to it's natural conclusion (with a proper ending) after 52 episodes. And Netflix and the showrunners are apparently thinking of maybe doing a movie, because She-Ra did very well.

The Dragon Prince showrunners said that their plan is for 7 seasons (with maybe more after, if there's demand), but so far each season has been 9 episodes, and 9x7=63, where 65 is also a common number for episodes (five 13-episode seasons). So maybe Netflix gave The Dragon Prince a loose commitment for 65 episodes (which makes 7 smaller seasons)?

I suppose if The Dragon Prince is failing, it might get canned, but Netflix is allegedly fine with programs that barely break even, because if nothing else, it's exclusive content to put on their library shelves, as all the streaming services are currently competing to draw customers with their libraries of exclusives. Literally anything looks good to them, so long as it's exclusive. And doesn't lose too much money.
Ahh good
i mean ending it here wouldn't be the worse thing but i do want to see its natural conclusion.Here's hoping it reaches it ,what you've said gives me a lot of hope that it will.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thought the bump was for a season 4 announcement. :( Hope we get something soon.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Announced minutes ago, Netflix has picked up the entire saga.

FUCK YEAH, I NEED MORE RAYLA DIRECTLY TO MY VEINS!!!!!

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Deliberately vague, but I'll take it. Just watched the IGN video.

It means "whatever they need to effectively tell their story."

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh yeah! They did it.

We're getting 4 more seasons to finish the story.

Maybe that's why it took so long. They were negotiating not for one season but the entire saga.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Holy shit that's great news! I was LTTP on this, just watched it recently after seeing Avatar for the first time. I was worried that it seemed like it wasn't going to be picked up for more.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, amazing news! Hopefully a big order like that will cut out some delays in the process and get new seasons to us a little bit quicker.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
also, we're getting a tabletop game! (dramatic music intensifies)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...op-rpg-tales-of-xadia-announced/#30d270fb5e8d

"Tales of Xadia will feature storyline content that bridges the gap between Season 3 and the newly-announced Season 4 of The Dragon Prince," according to Fandom's press release. "Players can explore the ruins of Lux Aurea, try to restore the corrupted Sunforge, and fight to stop the spread of the evil monstrosities it radiates. This off-screen story will come alive in game supplements—as well as in organized play events—prior to Season 4's release.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came in expecting the renewal through S7 to be a typo.. but DAMN.

That's great news. It's not every day something gets renewed for FOUR MORE SEASONS.
You can sort of put an asterisk after "7 seasons" though, because Dragon Prince seasons are quite short.

The Dragon Prince's current 3 seasons (27 episodes) would be called 2 seasons by most other people (a season is usually 13 episodes, not 9).
The Dragon Prince's upcoming 4 seasons would likely be called 3 seasons by most other people.
The Dragon Prince's total 7 seasons would probably be called 5 by other people.

It seems that Netflix indicated to Wonderstorm from the very beginning that they would probably get ~65 episodes, so Wonderstorm chopped that 65 up as they preferred, to better manage the ups and downs of the story (seven short story arcs, instead of five or less story arcs that were longer). Netflix is apparently just finally making it official, that everything has a solid green light.

Still pretty impressive.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah, they've built up quite the world. Glad they'll get the episodes needed to tell the story they wanna tell. Wouldn't be upset if they decided to stick around in this interesting universe they've created and expand it further down the line.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. First three seasons have been fun enough, even if the villain is pretty forgettable.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible, amazing, awesome news.

Honestly, I thought it was never gonna happen. So happy to be wrong.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome, now what happened to the video game?!