• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dragon-princepjf0y.jpg

The Dragon Prince is a Netflix Original show. All nine episodes premiere on September 14.

Synopsis:

"In the magical land of Xadia, magic comes from six primal sources: the Sun, the Moon, the Stars, the Sky, the Earth and the Ocean. But when human mages create a seventh kind of magic, Dark Magic — they begin capturing and harvesting the unique magical creatures they need as ingredients. This sparks a catastrophic war between Xadia and the Human Kingdoms. Three kids from opposite sides of the conflict — two human princes, and the elven assassin who was sent to kill them — discover a secret that could change everything. They decide to join forces and go on an epic journey that may be their only hope of ending the war, and restoring peace to both their worlds."

Main Cast:

castlif6h.jpg

Prince Callum is voiced by Jack De Sena.
Prince Ezran is voiced by Sasha Rojen.
Rayla is voiced by Paula Burrows.

Trailers:

Reviews (first three episodes):

Nerdist: 4.5 out of 5
Ultimately, you have a brash warrior, a shy mage unaware of his magical abilities, and a kid naive-to-the-point-of-wisdom trekking through a fantastical realm both familiar and fascinating with an honorable goal of doing what the adults in the room find too implausible to even try to attempt. It's Avatar, but it's not. The Dragon Prince is its own animal born from strikingly similar DNA and looking to spread its wings as wide as possible. Another breath of fresh magic from a seasoned creative crew.

IGN: 9 out of 10 (first episode)
The Dragon Prince is an accessible, inclusive animated adventure that blends recognizable elements from fantasy classics of the past. You don't need to be a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender to enjoy the new series. Balancing tragedy with triumph, and drama with comedy, The Dragon Prince reveals itself as a story about war, peace, and the complicated space in-between. And that's a compelling place to be.

The Verge
The show is rife with smaller elements, and the details seem designed to raise complicated questions for people to obsess over and elaborate on. Like Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Dragon Prince seems designed to not only build an elaborate world, but to build an elaborate fandom.

Hypable
Overall, The Dragon Prince makes harmony out of conflict, blending strong characters, intriguing magic, and profound ideas into a compelling story. Binge it fast and hard, with friends and family of all ages — you won't be disappointed.

Ohmygodtheanimationistoochoppyicanteven:

Yeah, yeah. The show attempts to emulate hand-drawn 2D animation by producing CG animation on threes, or 6fps. Though this technique has sometimes worked decently (See the Guilty Gear Xrd games or the upcoming Into the Spider-Verse), in this case it has had a less than stellar reception, to put it mildly. If you're one of the people who can't stand it at all, playing the video at 1.25 speed seems to help somewhat. You can do that with desktop extensions for Firefox and Chrome.

I looked at the volunteer thread and a couple of others and nobody seemed to be working on one, so I threw something together quickly. If someone was indeed making it, nuke this one from orbit, no problem :P

Last edited by a moderator:

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a big market for animation that looks like the video hasn't loaded properly? In stills it looks better than most CG animated shows I've seen, but I feel like I'm going to be ill watching the videos.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna give it a shot but Netflix originals are very low quality these days and the animation of this is awful.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in it solely because of Ehasz but I won't lie, the lack of something like a Studio Mir is a serious turn off personally.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone try at 1.25 speeds? The trailer made me nauseous with the horrible frame rate.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I'll be watching this because of the people involved, but that animation isn't looking too great. It's kind of baffling that people signed off on that.

Didn't realize that Sokka's voice actor was the lead. Neat

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This, American Vandal and Bojack are all released on the same day.. odd, not that it really matters. I'll try it but like almost everyone else the frame rate really does bother me. I'm sure it has some benefit like less rendering time, somewhat reducing actual animation work needed, but I really doubt the "emulating hand drawn animation" aspect of if it is an actual positive is going to be a long lasting technique choice. Will probably be able to get used to it, but shouldn't need to.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like it's stuttering in some scenes. Weird. Looks like a cool world and art style but I don't think this is for me (and not because of the animation).

Alandrus Sun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I love that title.
I'm going to give this show a shot although the Netflix Original mark is becoming more and more infamous with every series release. I'm curious how this world will become more unique since from the trailers I'm getting a very generic fantasy world vibe.
I'm loving Harrow's design tho

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed the frames thing in the first 30 seconds of the trailer, then got over it and stopped caring before the end. But since it's in the thread title, I guess that's all we're going to talk about!

I'm looking forward to digging into this. Great character designs, and even though I fully expect to be disappointed by the writing, as long as it has some fantasy adventure fun it should be a good time.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
My eyes got used to the animation after about 30 seconds. It's jarring, but I think I'll get used to it and I love the visual design of the show. Very pumped to get this, American Vandal, and new Bojack on the same day. It's a great friday for Netflix!

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely going to watch, I hope the frame rate won't bother me as much as it did in the first trailer.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Will watch for sure next month when I check out Netflix again. Despite the framerate, this looks good otherwise.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was some way Netflix heard the criticisms over the framerate thing and tried to fix it before release, but I doubt it. Oh well, as long as the story is good I can make it through.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This remains the single best piece of marketing I've seen for the show.

It looks like it's stuttering in some scenes. Weird. Looks like a cool world and art style but I don't think this is for me (and not because of the animation).
It's really strange. In some of the sequences it looks OK, and in others it's like there's huge delays in the animations (as you say--a stutter). Every time I notice it I feel like there's something wrong with my eyes or computer...

I'm hoping the animations won't be so... noticeable in the final series, but every new clip dims that hope a little more.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point someone better wise up and put beast wars back on if kids these days dont mind the choppy animation

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
It's really strange. In some of the sequences it looks OK, and in others it's like there's huge delays in the animations (as you say--a stutter). Every time I notice it I feel like there's something wrong with my eyes or computer...

I'm hoping the animations won't be so... noticeable in the final series, but every new clip dims that hope a little more.

For me the difference is whether or not the camera is moving. It's less noticeable and generally looks fine when in motion, but any static shot looks absolutely miserable and turns me off from the show entirely.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I think this and Bojack will be what I'm watching this weekend. The reviews for this are better than I expected given the preview footage we got leading up to the release tomorrow.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
The issue with the animation is that flow breaks pretty badly and there's no cheating in the inbetweens. As there's no inbetweens.

I'd guess that rendering some of the wilder motions with either distorting forms or on 2s would fix the choppyness.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm still excited for this even though the trailers haven't exactly enticed me strongly.
I really want it to be good!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch it but that shitty attempt at a joke in the trailer better not be a norm. Avatar had fantastic humor, so crossing fingers it was a bad joke.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Even though the fps doesn't bother me, hilarious thread title.

Looking forward to this.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they say it's to "mimic 2D"

I say it's to save money on rendering.

save us real time rendering!

anyway, I'm pretty interested in this. might have to cop my brother's netflix account to watch it though

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Binging this after work. Thanks for the OT

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
The first epsiode was very not good. Really cliche, bad jokes, boring setup, etc.

As for the visuals, some of animation moments looks fantastic, while most look awkward. It's so weird because there really are some good looking moments and shots which jump back immidiately to awkward motion. They don't sit well together.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow yeah there are some actually good moments of animation there and I begin to see what that one aninator was talking about. But the idle animation during dialog is horrendous.

Also the narrator in the first episode is definitely voiced by Koh the face stealer

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
Watching the first episode now, it's super jarring how the framerate is not even consistent in how bad it is, even on the same scene, it's like it constantly goes from 15 to 5. Going to take a lot of getting used to.

Also, why is the son of the king acting like a street orphan and stealing biscuits for himself and his pet? Fucking royalty...

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
The animation choppiness is there if I look for it, but the art is good at least.

The action animation is good though

At least it's not like Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors

Last edited:

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I really really wish they'd just get to the damn point. How can a 9 episode season feel like its starting so slow? This big battle/assassination they keep hyping up is taking forever to happen. I feel like the female elf breaking into the castle and the three of them finding the dragon prince could have happened in episode 1 (or earlier in ep. 2) with a snappier pacing. So far it feels like the scope of this story is very small.

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I really really wish they'd just get to the damn point. How can a 9 season feel like its starting so slow? This big battle/assassination they keep hyping up is taking forever to happen. I feel like the female elf breaking into the castle and the three of them finding the dragon prince could have happened in episode 1 (or earlier in ep. 2) with a snappier pacing. So far it feels like the scope of this story is very small.
I don't know I like it. It fleshes out characters. You see the King's opinion on the egg situation.

Edit: also good build up when it actually happens

Last edited: