• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bhnqSry.gif
tumblr_m79drzEiIb1qek6l1o2_250.gif

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Man I just don't know how to feel about Sorren and Claudia

They have hearts, they're not bad people. Claudia even does the right thing BEFORE Rayla

And yet they can be such evil assholes

I just hate them and love them

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
While I mostly really liked the season and I saw a particular improvement in the humor, a few minor nitpicks: (spoilers for the full season)
- A bit too much 4rth wall breaking / nerdy references. Not obnoxiously so, but I kind of cringed a bit at the repeated Mordor meme, for example.
- The reveal of a pirate captain with two eye patches was a great visual gag... but it was ruined by the previous line that already suggested he was blind.
- I honestly thought that Claudia was going to turn into an old lady in exchange for healing her brother, which would have been a more impressive sacrifice than the usual strand of white hair... but then again a dark magic old lady isn't a very novel idea either!
-Every scene with the magic mirror was amazing. I love how slow but tense they were. Also, I wasn't expecting so much death on that last fight.
-Also surprisingly enjoyable: the feverish nightmare (It's your dream, kid) and the surprising payoff of becoming a primal human mage.
-It was neat how Ezran's connection with the dragon prince was foreshadowed as they sync-slept on the boat, a scene that was too long to simply be a gag about how Bait has been replaced. Also, Ezran leaving the party to go back to the capital was shockingly mature, but he was a charming character and a very helpful member of the group. I hope they find something interesting for him to do.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ezran leaving the party to go back to the capital was shockingly mature, but he was a charming character and a very helpful member of the group. I hope they find something interesting for him to do.
Just a few days ago he was stealing jelly tarts,
now he's a mature boy-king
:rolls eyes:
If he marries the girl-queen(aanya)
:rolls eyes:

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Having just finished S2, then immediately watching the intro of S1E1
That drgain in the intro is Sol Regem, right? How come the thunder dragon was king, and not the sun dragon?

So.... when's season 3? Again around 7 months?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Having just finished S2, then immediately watching the intro of S1E1
That drgain in the intro is Sol Regem, right? How come the thunder dragon was king, and not the sun dragon?

So.... when's season 3? Again around 7 months?
I'm guessing the hierarchy will be explained soon. Having a plurality if monarchs of different regions is not unknown.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
I throughly enjoyed this season. Thought the character moments were pretty great throughout and really fleshed things out.

They also somehow managed to make the most attractive man I think I've ever seen in a cartoon.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Less charachter intro, more story
more FPS
less "ok he's definitely the bad guy" scenes
Oh there's a bunch of he's definitely the bad guy scenes.

But I felt more sympathetic to his situation. Whereas season 1 I thought he went from 50 to 100 pretty quick, season 2 puts him in more situations to establish why he doesn't think he's in the wrong.

Also regarding the strained relationship with the king
Viren's self importance is so well established that when he tells the story of how he went back to save the queens, I was pretty skeptical. He offered to save the king but he thought of the king as his friend. So the strain on their friendship was probably amplified from some perceived dishonesty regarding the queen's death? Or maybe just the overeagerness about leaving the sister in law behind

It starts with a bug.

It probably weighs a million tons. How are we going to bring it back?
In pieces.

Last edited:

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Finished up the season today. Really good! I thought it was on par with ATLA before and I'm still of that opinion. They're doing a great job.

Aavaros is fantastic and was built up wonderfully. I honestly thought the flashback episodes were the weakest of the bunch. Still don't really understand the pacing comments. I understand wanting more episodes but if they continue at the current rate (2 seasons a year) I think it's plenty.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wait whaaaaat? This came out over the weekend? Had absolutely no ideas. Going to binge this over the next few days.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 and 2 really dont feel like seasons. They should have called it 1.1 and 1.2

Im really looking forward to season 3. Can just agree that the frame rate quality became better (not perfect, but I suppose better). I will definitely rewatch the first episode with artificial pictures inserted to see if it improves it.

The story improved compared to S1, although i disliked some parts.
Although amalya had too little screentime.

i disliked the way claudia took a shortcut to end her brothers paralyses. Somehow doesnt feel very in sync with the rest of the show where disabilities are always accepted and part of each characters development and even strength.

Im not sure how to feel about ezran returning home. He belongs with zym.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 and 2 really dont feel like seasons. They should have called it 1.1 and 1.2

Im really looking forward to season 3. Can just agree that the frame rate quality became better (not perfect, but I suppose better). I will definitely rewatch the first episode with artificial pictures inserted to see if it improves it.

i disliked the way claudia took a shortcut to end her brothers paralyses. Somehow doesnt feel very in sync with the rest of the show where disabilities are always accepted and part of each characters development and even strength.

I don't think magic here works on equivalent exchange.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017

but you thought it all only feels like 20% of a season? God dang

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, given the feeling of brevity in each season, I'm kinda worried about how much time they have left. They've only got 4-5 seasons left if the element per season naming convention holds! It feels like there's so much to deal with.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg

Not taking shortcuts is one of the running themes of the show. Dark magic represents the convenient and irresponsible shortcuts humans take in this fictional world, but also could be reflected in our real world with our real dangerous addiction to fossil fuel and support for an unsustainable brutal meat industry. Also, shows like this have to regularly remind their audience who the bad guys are, especially when those immoral characters are charismatic and attractive lest the audience may begin to support those characters despite their poor moral judgement. Claudia and Sorren are intentionally out of sync with values of the show since they are the regular ongoing antagonists, and they along with their father appear to be the philosophical stand ins for imperialism whom are challenged by the protagonists.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good season, even if the end didn't really feel like the end at all.

Love Rayla. Love Soren. Wish there was more of the aunt.

Anyone a MBMBaM fan?

Y__FQGh3mfDKbKsix7SBXag8bwrjjyW-pPk_X2CVzxs.jpg

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I binged through season 2, such a fantastic show! I continue to love everything about it. This season is definitely more about reflection and growth for the character, and more world-building, but I think it did a great job in that regard. There wasn't a big progression for the main objectives since maybe 2 -3 days actually passed during these episodes, but I'm perfectly fine with that, I like the slow build and getting to know the characters and the world better. Rayla continues to be my favorite part of the show. She's adorable, a big dork, and a badass.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

Not taking shortcuts is one of the running themes of the show. Dark magic represents the convenient and irresponsible shortcuts humans take in this fictional world, but also could be reflected in our real world with our real dangerous addiction to fossil fuel and support for an unsustainable brutal meat industry. Also, shows like this have to regularly remind their audience who the bad guys are, especially when those immoral characters are charismatic and attractive lest the audience may begin to support those characters despite their poor moral judgement. Claudia and Sorren are intentionally out of sync with values of the show since they are the regular ongoing antagonists, and they along with their father appear to be the philosophical stand ins for imperialism whom are challenged by the protagonists.
I get that, it seems just so off that Amaya would not be forced to walk that route as well to compete with others, if it makes any sense. (Amaya wouldn't need it, and it'd go totally against her character.)

Honestly I am hoping Claudia will pay a very high price for it to make it believable why nobody said "there is one last chance but we do not recommend", because honestly: It is not an option.

In regards to Soren anyone else feel like:

His line going:

"I don't have to worry about doing anything terrible because... now I can't do anything."

Honestly gave him a lot more depth? Like I didn't really care for him at all but it was in that moment that I genuinely felt sympathy for the character.
It emphasized how much he longed to be accepted by his father and wanted to be praised. Also the scene with the dragon's horn later that episode.

It made clear what his (and Claudias) entire motivation is about.

Can anyone answer me this please?
Improved but not removed.
Oh snap.

What's the significance of having him be the narrator though
It makes it questionable what his motives are. Does he want to rule katolis and had to take king harrow off the throne? Did he start the assassination plan? If so, did the king keep the mirror close because its dangerous, or because he's a friend? If friend, did avalos expect the king to escape and come to him so he can bring him back to life/human form?

Seeing as it's only been 5 months since the first season, the length seems fine to me. Just think of seasons 1 and 2 as two halves of an 18 episode season if it makes it easier.

I just finished Season 2 and loved it, particularly the way they fleshed out the world and characters. It's a real pity we can't get more of Callum and Ezran's mum (unless there's some kind of shock twist), cause she was great. Can't wait for Season 3, hopefully it comes just as quickly as Season 2.
i dislike cut in half seasons. I hope theyll change their pattern.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
i dislike cut in half seasons. I hope theyll change their pattern.

I'd honestly wouldn't mind waiting longer if each season was longer and had better pacing.

Like we're 18 episodes in but it still feels like we're in Season 1. Like it feels like the next 4 episodes would be the climax of the season leading into Season 2.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly wouldn't mind waiting longer if each season was longer and had better pacing.

Like we're 18 episodes in but it still feels like we're in Season 1. Like it feels like the next 4 episodes would be the climax of the season leading into Season 2.
Netflix gotta sell dem subs
maybe we'll get like a 6 episode season with a 3 part arc finale for Book 3

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Good lord, the realization....

Viren doesn't have grey hair due to aging as Callum and his kids grew up, he has grey hairs due to him using dark magic over the years after the Titan incident in Xadia.

Nov 3, 2017
Binged the season and overall, it's really solid and a strong improvement over season 1

That said, I kinda hate Callum to the point that he feels almost like he came out of a different show?

In season 1, I got low key Kylo Ren vibes from him; a self centred child of privilege who meant well, but always had to make everything about himself. It was an annoying trait, but I thought it was going to be an issue addressed in future, especially when it stayed one of his defining traits in season 2 (particularly groan inducing in that scene where Rayla says she has to save the dragon, and Callum's response to his friend wanting to risk her life was "but what do I have to do?"), but instead he's rewarded for it.

After an entire season of him whining about not being able to magic, he has a crazy fever dream and then gets to be the first human to use primal magic. So rather than humans being unable to do something and taking increasingly dark turns so they could do it, it turns out they just weren't trying hard enough.

And it's such a contrast to the maturity Ezran shows at the end of the season. Ezran wants to adventure and see the world with his brother and friend, and realises that he has to mature and accept his responsibilities.

In contrast, Callum whines and whines about being the poor prince who isn't special enough, and then gets to be super ultra special. Like this fucker defines himself entirely on how good he is at this one thing he decides is for him. How much more interesting would he be if he accepted he straight up can't magic and learns to develop as a fully formed person rather than just magic man

Callum is ostensibly Asian (could have fooled me. Check out that flashback with him and his mom. They look nothing alike), but everything about his writing feels like such a boring and typical straight white male perspective you see in lesser shows.

And it's such a weird fucking contrast with everything else in this show. Like this is a world with a clear commitment to diversity and exploring nuanced and varied perspectives, and we're stuck with this kid who seems like he should have been the main character of Generic YA Fantasy 7

Basically, fuck Callum. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Binged the season and overall, it's really solid and a strong improvement over season 1

That said, I kinda hate Callum to the point that he feels almost like he came out of a different show?

In season 1, I got low key Kylo Ren vibes from him; a self centred child of privilege who meant well, but always had to make everything about himself. It was an annoying trait, but I thought it was going to be an issue addressed in future, especially when it stayed one of his defining traits in season 2 (particularly groan inducing in that scene where Rayla says she has to save the dragon, and Callum's response to his friend wanting to risk her life was "but what do I have to do?"), but instead he's rewarded for it.

After an entire season of him whining about not being able to magic, he has a crazy fever dream and then gets to be the first human to use primal magic. So rather than humans being unable to do something and taking increasingly dark turns so they could do it, it turns out they just weren't trying hard enough.

And it's such a contrast to the maturity Ezran shows at the end of the season. Ezran wants to adventure and see the world with his brother and friend, and realises that he has to mature and accept his responsibilities.

In contrast, Callum whines and whines about being the poor prince who isn't special enough, and then gets to be super ultra special. Like this fucker defines himself entirely on how good he is at this one thing he decides is for him. How much more interesting would he be if he accepted he straight up can't magic and learns to develop as a fully formed person rather than just magic man

Callum is ostensibly Asian (could have fooled me. Check out that flashback with him and his mom. They look nothing alike), but everything about his writing feels like such a boring and typical straight white male perspective you see in lesser shows.

And it's such a weird fucking contrast with everything else in this show. Like this is a world with a clear commitment to diversity and exploring nuanced and varied perspectives, and we're stuck with this kid who seems like he should have been the main character of Generic YA Fantasy 7

Basically, fuck Callum. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

I think Callum is half-asian. I'm guessing his real father will come into play in the story. Probably as a villain I'm guessing.

Also wow that was not the read I got on him at all.

Very much disagree with everything you said.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved all the references, from "One does not simply walk into Xadia", to Rayla's Sailor Moon nod, and Harrow talking about Rawl's theory of justice.

Nov 3, 2017
Harrow talking about Rawl's theory of justice.

That was such a cool surprise. The Mordor and Sailor Moon references were pretty rote given the demographics of both the makers and the older fans, but my ears perked up the moment I heard Harrow talking about why he choose the blindfold

I think Callum is half-asian. I'm guessing his real father will come into play in the story. Probably as a villain I'm guessing.

Also wow that was not the read I got on him at all.

Very much disagree with everything you said.

Search your feelings. You know Callum's suckness to be true

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Feel like there making a purposeful parallel between Callum and Ezran---->Viren and King Harrow. Callum seems like he might be on the fast track down the moral ladder. Or at least is the type of person to do so when pushed to that point because in his mind at least he's doing the right thing even if it means doing something like using dark magic. It especially doesn't help that the person who's his childhood crush is also kinda hella into dark magic.

Also I guess Netflix doesn't give a fuck if a kid's show features scenes
that have blood and peeps literally getting vaporized lol.

Speaking of parallels.

Last edited: