• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Book 3: Bird

giphy.gif
tumblr_mjiv5iSX2R1qg72ijo2_250.gif
8.gif

RourkeIronMan.jpg

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 hype! Glad it is official even though there wasnt any doubt it in my mind it would happen.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Finished S2 yesterday so this news couldn't have come at a better time! Anyone know how much time there was between the S2 announcement and release date?

Nov 1, 2017
Yes! Netflix has been killing it with animation shows lately. This, Disenchantment, Final Space, Paradise PD, Hilda, 3 below (Tales of Arcadia)!

Hopefully, they will make a game set in Xadia!

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
S1 announce Jul 10, 2018
66d
S1 Sept 14, 2018
22d
S2 announce Oct 5, 2018
134d
S2 Feb 15, 2019
44d
S3 announce Mar 30, 2019
Interesting, cheers shira!
*puts on a statician cap, which probably isn't a thing*
Given how the announcement took twice as long as last time, my irrefutable conclusion is that the release will also take twice as long: 268 days. So... 26th of december. 😏

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Has there been any news about the Dragon Prince video game? When Wonderstorm was founded their plan was for the show to help bankroll the game that was also being produced. But we haven't heard anything about it in a while. So I'm wondering how the development process is going?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just watched both seasons of this over the past week. Great show.

Only problem are some of the moral choices in the show seem to be presented oddly. Mild season 2 spoilers:

Like was I supposed to side with the dragon who had been menacing an innocent town for days, and when they try to drive it off it starts massacring them? Then Rayla has some great moral imperitave to save the dragon, I guess so it can go back and finish what it started with the town of innocent people.

They also haven't really shown that Dark Magic is inherently bad, rather that misuse of Dark Magic is bad.

I mean if it wasn't named "Dark Magic" would people even see the problem? Whoever named it really did a disservice. If Electricity had been called "Death Lightning" it probably would have limited the widespread adoption of death lightning powered lights and appliances.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

Only problem are some of the moral choices in the show seem to be presented oddly. Mild season 2 spoilers:

Like was I supposed to side with the dragon who had been menacing an innocent town for days, and when they try to drive it off it starts massacring them? Then Rayla has some great moral imperitave to save the dragon, I guess so it can go back and finish what it started with the town of innocent people.

They also haven't really shown that Dark Magic is inherently bad, rather that misuse of Dark Magic is bad.

I mean if it wasn't named "Dark Magic" would people even see the problem? Whoever named it really did a disservice. If Electricity had been called "Death Lightning" it probably would have limited the widespread adoption of death lightning powered lights and appliances.

The dragon is just "who shot first". If it had been the illusionist would you say the same thing, or is it just because it's a dragon?

Dark magic literally uses the lives of other living things to power it. Sometimes the benefits outweigh the costs, sure. But comparatively to " natural" magic it's definitely bad.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

It's explained in the beginning that dark magic uses the essence of magical beings. So you could probably understand why magical beings would not be a fan of it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The dragon is just "who shot first". If it had been the illusionist would you say the same thing, or is it just because it's a dragon?

When you say "If it had been the illusionist" whose place is the illusionist taking here?

If it was the illusionist razing a village and killing dozens of innocents, then yeah I'd say the same thing.

Dragons are not dumb animals, they are intelligent, sapient beings who are in the middle of a cold war (but heating up) with the human kingdoms. The dragon was the aggressor here for menacing a human town.

Dark magic literally uses the lives of other living things to power it. Sometimes the benefits outweigh the costs, sure. But comparatively to " natural" magic it's definitely bad.

Most Dark magic uses non-sentient creatures like bugs though.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if theyll ever explain why humans arent connected to primal magic but other sentient creatures seemingly are?
Like if the creation of mankind in thier world came about a differnt way to other beings

bananabread

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished season 2 and bumping this thread back up to share my thoughts! I like a lot about the show, but it feels like every aspect of it is flawed in some way. As an example, I dig the design of the characters but they've got this weird sunburn looking thing going on in the top half of their faces. Not sure what that's supposed to be about.

It feels like every character is trying to be Sokka from ATLAB. I like the way the characters have believable 'everyman' reactions to the fantastical stuff that's going on around them and I feel like that was one of the things about Avatar that really helped the world feel lived in, but every character is cracking jokes at every opportunity and there's no straight man character for the humor to bounce off. This show needed to set one of the principal trio up in the Katara role. The jokes don't land as well when everyone's a goof.

Some of the voice acting is bottom of the barrel stuff, Ezran being the most egregious example. He gets some of the most dramatic lines and delivers them completely deadpan. The rest of the main cast is pretty strong although Rayla can sometimes sound like she's struggling to emote through the accent. Some of the secondary characters sound like they got the directors family to fill in instead of hiring voice actors but some are great. It's a real mixed bag.

The pacing has improved a lot in season 2, but in season 1 a lot of episodes attempted to end on cliffhangers with basically no buildup and it felt kinda strange. The reveal of the dragon egg happened with basically no buildup and then the episode just ends before you've had a chance to feel anything. Some odd choices from the director. Felt like it might be something that they felt they needed to do to operate in the Netflix/streaming environment where things are designed to be binged?

Overall though the show is extremely watchable and fun, with a lot of heart/humor and some really great exploration of moral grey areas. I'm hanging out for season 3 now having burned through the first 2 in about 3 days. Definitely felt like they started to find their feet in the second season.

I'll wait until The Dragon Prince finishes before making any sort of final judgement but having seen this, ATLAB, and Korra I'm amazed that none of the studios has attempted to re-unite the writing of Aaron Ehasz/Giancarlo Volpe with the direction of Bryan/Mike and tried to create another show on the level of Avatar. Both of the followup shows feel like they're missing something that the other show has in spades and it's easy to see where that influence came from.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
The pacing has improved a lot in season 2, but in season 1 a lot of episodes attempted to end on cliffhangers with basically no buildup and it felt kinda strange. The reveal of the dragon egg happened with basically no buildup and then the episode just ends before you've had a chance to feel anything. Some odd choices from the director. Felt like it might be something that they felt they needed to do to operate in the Netflix/streaming environment where things are designed to be binged?

I was thinking the same thing for both seasons. Even though I mostly enjoyed the show, no episodes stick out in my mind. It's just one long story where the episode breaks feel arbitrary.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any idea when Season 3 is due?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Also I went through season 2 in literally one day.

Fuck that was good.

I like all the characters but I actually dig Callum as the MC. As a fellow Eurasian(albeit I'm Hispanic), I always dig a Eurasian protagonist .

Also I can't decide between who I like more between Claudia and Rayla. They're both great. Claudia's slightly more interesting but Rayla's got the better design though.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
No, there isn't. He becomes a badass swordsman in one episode.

He goes from level 5 to level 80 in that one episode.

At least with magic, I can believe whatever because it's magic. It's hard for me to do the same with actual real things.
?
Are you talking about "Sokka's master"? He became a "badass swordsman", as you say, because he was already an intelligent and resourceful thinker. Master Piando said much the same thing. He only really learned the fundamentals of swordmanship from that episode.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
looks fine enough to continue watching. Luckily they release em all at the same time so its easy enough to binge one day i got nothing to do. Which is any day.

Nov 3, 2017
Liked the show a lot in season 1 but god, season 2 soured me on it incredibly hard.

I'll wait for impressions before deciding whether to dive into season 3. If Callum remains the garbage character that he is, I think I'm done with the show

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Liked the show a lot in season 1 but god, season 2 soured me on it incredibly hard.

I'll wait for impressions before deciding whether to dive into season 3. If Callum remains the garbage character that he is, I think I'm done with the show
I really liked season 2 :(

I do think the show has an issue of the backstory being far more interesting than the current main characters but yeah.

What are your thoughts on Callum?