• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is like the very definition of a cliffhanger. lol.
But you weren't left at the climax here. The climax was resolved and there was falling action and such.

The bad guys were beaten the dragon prince was returned to its mother the queen dragon woke up to see humans and elves working together. That doesn't seem like a cliff hanger to me

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Man that finale. I was all in on that whole sequence. Loved this season. I really hope they get to go all the way to that planned season 7 arc. This world is just getting started to be fleshed out and there's so many characters I want to see grow. Lots of story left to tell. It seems like this arc is done, but man this show has it's hooks in me. So many things can happen based on how that ended.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew I could feel so much from a late season!

I really really want more lore and worldbuliding from the Dragon Prince...

I also really hope it doesn't get canceled because it will be a huge disappointment to me.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that was oddly conclusive. I wonder if they're hedging their bets that they might get cancelled. Just in case. The show had been pretty steady on how they progressed plot elements and then the last few episodes things started getting put into action and resolved relatively quickly. Some minor loose ends about but it wouldn't be the worst way to end the show on.

I would've liked to see it hatch though.

Last edited:

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
They really ended this season with a bang. If we don't get a Season 4, I'll be sad, but I won't feel like I was cheated out of a complete story. This felt like a completed arc to me with a satisfying result at the end.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The way they titled ep.9 definitely seems like they know the show is on the bubble. Especially considering they've stated they have 7 seasons worth of story to tell.

Are these type of shows like live-action though where the costs balloon after a few seasons?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Can we all agree Sol Regan is an asshole that got what was coming to him.
Honestly I wouldn't have minded if the human army had killed him after crossing into his land. He is a monster.
Man....Watching best girl in a downward spiral to a "You've outlived your usefulness" moment is just awful );
Wait, what? Who are we talking about here?
Rayla does the amazing rescue of Nyx and literally kills the main villain even if it doesn't last precisely due to other-best-girl, Claudia, who also has a few other great moments.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Hopefully this show doesn't get Netflix'd.

This show moves too fast for 9 episodes I felt like there was barely any room to hang out with the characters this season.

Also there clearly is going to be a time skip right?

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Literally why is he like this?

That moment got a laugh from me. I can get why it's bothersome. He's definitely not the strong silent type, or some sort of badass wizard. He's this awkward kid trying to figure things out, but he's got his moments he doesn't hold back. This was one of them and it went so overboard it made me laugh.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That moment got a laugh from me. I can get why it's bothersome. He's definitely not the strong silent type, or some sort of badass wizard. He's this awkward kid trying to figure things out, but he's got his moments he doesn't hold back. This was one of them and it went so overboard it made me laugh.
I don't find him bothersome. I view him in a "who's man is this?" type of way. He's very endearing because he's genuinely a dork.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find him bothersome. I view him in a "who's man is this?" type of way. He's very endearing because he's genuinely a dork.

I get that. I used to teach middle schoolers and man some of those kids had a combination of being massive dorks and had no filter whatsoever on their behavior if it were socially acceptable or popular or how they would be viewed by anyone and some of them pulled it off so well it was completely endearing. I loved those kids. But there were a few like that I wanted to strangle. Just absolutely oblivious and didn't care. Callum, to me, is the former.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Literally why is he like this?

I thought this was hilarious. And he's not always this bad. Actually feel they've toned down the joking a bit this season.

Also, ep 6 spoiler
boomerang does always come back! Even if it's in another life. Now for Callum to find a spacesword.

I have two more episodes to go, but so far I like this season the best. It seems to move at a breackneck pace, Rayla and Callum are cool, Viren is getting more and more devious, I like how expansive the lore is.

And despite the apparent shittines of Ehaasz to his female employees, I still like the strong women in the series.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to put a spoiler tag gif that one scene in the last episode where
The royal chef was fighting using his roller and 2 jelly tart ninja stars

I think that was the best thing I've seen for the day

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Season 3 was exceptional. What a fantastic show! Hope we get a season 4, because the show has improved with each new season.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Made it to episode 5 so far. This season is such a vast improvement. It is reaching the heights of ATLA. The cast has shown off a lot of interesting new dynamics and sides to them we haven't seen before. I'd say they are also a lot more likable and have grown into their own. The first season sort of set the groundwork for the world, setting and characters. The second season is where these characters really start to do shit in the established S1 formula. S3 builds off that and takes it into a new direction.

The artstyle has drastically improved. The plot accelerates fairly quickly and has developed much better timing for the light hearted, humorous moments. The artstyle is great and I'd say the animation has improved. I also loved the Sun Elves design and aesthetic. Its nice to see a lot of PoC in the animation as it adds different cultural influences and aesthetics that are not often seen in this style of media. I also thought the gay, moon elves were done quite well.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I binged watched the entire season in one evening. I couldnt stop.

I do feel like diversity decreased and/or its display became less important.

They could have done more with Amalya. Also, the season feels, while well paced, so much faster than the last ones. Especially the last episode(s) feel kinda squeezed?

I mean, that's the final we waited 2 seasons for?!

I am not sure how I feel about the apparently unnecessary love story... feels forced and as if it was added as fanservice only.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017

They could have done more with Amalya. Also, the season feels, while well paced, so much faster than the last ones. Especially the last episode(s) feel kinda squeezed?

I am not sure how I feel about the apparently unnecessary love story... feels forced and as if it was added as fanservice only.
Forced? I mean the love story and romance aspects were hinted at from the start. Also unsure how you could say less diversity. Gay romance was on full display, there were black elves and a pretty important Black Women Elf was focused on throughout the season. Raya also took the lead and took out numerous enemies throughout the season while the leading male took a back seat. I thought the finale was amazing and leagues better than the previous season finales. Which just sort of ended and felt almost like regular episodes. Amalya was fine and had just as much of a presence as in prior seasons, imo. I would've liked to have seen more of Aanya though. Felt like her character would complement Ezran's character plotline. I also enjoyed watching her school Viren in S2.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The frame rate is better than the first season. Not sure what people are talking about. It's been fixed since season 2.

Also, has the subplot with the dad being a bird been completely dropped?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"Finguistics" was a dorky joke that had me laugh too hard. It was the same for Avatar, but I really love this show's sense of humour. x)

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
The show has problems that stop it from being more than just "good", but one thing that it does a really great job of -- not just for a kids' cartoon but for pop culture full stop -- is that everyone has a plausible and reasonable set of motivations, even when different characters end up on opposite sides. Throughout the series even Viren is more-or-less sincere about wanting to do right by humans though there's clearly some (realistic!) self-deception involved, and even if the narrative sets him up as ultimately wrong and he follows this down a bad path, his position isn't exactly crazy at first. The dark elf is the only mustache-twirler. Likewise there's this interesting tension with dark magic where it gets all of the aesthetic signifiers of being evil, but we see it used for good and certain humans have a fair point that it's not cool to ban the only kind of magic they can do. With respect to this, it's actually a little disappointing that Callum gets elemental magic in season 2 because it seems like they're going to just say that humans have an alternative.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

They were building on that angle since season 2 already. I wouldn't say it came out of nowhere. And I'm pleasantly surprised that they committed to it, instead of falling back on the cliché of toeing the "will they won't they" line for a few more seasons.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Watched the first 3 seasons over the weekend and i really do like and I really want to see more of it. At first the animation was awkward and reminded me of season one RWBY with how awkward it was at times, but I really do dig it and I really want to see more.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, has the subplot with the dad being a bird been completely dropped?
Doubtful. One thing to bear in mind is, Ezran's short run as King in S3 wasn't part of the original plan for the show, it was an emergency course correction.

The original plan was for Team Dragon Prince to make their way to the Dragon Queen's place, but then the writers realized that there was no way that Ezran would just ignore his responsibility and continue traveling once he learned that the King had died and that he was the new King. So they came up with the idea of him returning home, getting out-maneuvered and ejected, and then using fast travel to catch back up to Callum and Reyla.

The subplot with bird-dad is presumably going to activate in it's normal place in the story, sometime after Ezran returns home from the Dragon Queen's place.

They were building on that angle since season 2 already. I wouldn't say it came out of nowhere. And I'm pleasantly surprised that they committed to it, instead of falling back on the cliché of toeing the "will they won't they" line for a few more seasons.
Apparently the writers were thinking of leaving it as unresolved romantic tension between the two of them, but then that third wheel Ezran took off for a while, and Callum and Reyla were left traveling alone, preloaded with romantic tension, sooo...

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

I feel the first two seasons focused on laying the groundwork for the characters. That also tends to highlight/display diversity. And now the characters have been more or less established the plot moved forward a lot faster. The only sort of character development we saw this season was Soren's? Which I thought was pretty well done. (Aside from Amalya Soren's growing to be my favorite. Such a dumb oaf, but starting to do the right thing)

The other diversity is just sort of there, in a natural way? The gay elves from Rayla's village, the dark skinned sun elves and people from Neolandia. There wasn't much focus, but they just all live in this world without it being a big deal. In a completely normal way. I'm a white straight guy, so I don't know if I'm one to judge, but that seems like a plus to me?

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I'm honestly enjoying this show a lot, but this season, in all likelyhood due to cranking up the plotbeats and stakes, the wrting feels really sloppy.
Things are moving too fast, 9 episodes are clearly not enough for what they have in mind.

Everything regarding Ezra feels wrong and pointless. He spends two days as king only to return to where he was before leaving and the plot itself to return to where it was (Viren as a despot wanting to march to war to Xadia). Difference is now Ezran knows about it, hell he's partially responsible, yet once reunited with the gang he doesn't mention anything and continue like he never left.

The travel times are also extremely wonky. I understand that Callum and Reyla are going mostly on foot, but when people reach their destination effortlesly in a fraction of the time it took them to reach it, it deflates the feeling of a journey.

I feel like most narrative bits in the season, as enjoyable as they were, never really flow as coherently or as fleshed out as they should be.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The full on gay kiss made me so happy.
Was amazing! Also now I need a season 4 for this to develop more:
9fd98ea4-3fe7-4541-9772-c4fa50ec3533.gif

And the hand holding!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm frustrated by the gay representation because it smacks of tokenism to me. (Full disclosure: I'm a bi dude.) Callum and Rayla get character and relationship development (although the romance felt tacked on, but that's pretty normal for romance plots in general), but the two gay queens and two gay elves don't get developed. Not only that, but the two gay relationships end in tragedy.

Not trying to discredit your frustrations but in regards to the one elf couple.

They say that the flowers from the assassin's fall to the bottom of the water when they die. However it was shown that one of the flowers had only sunk but not reached the bottom and that the light was still showing. The implication being that when Runaan was trapped in the coin that he didn't die. Only trapped. Which we know that Viren still has the coins around. Very likely Runaan will be freed at some point.

Also if you haven't watched She-Ra you probably should.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to discredit your frustrations but in regards to the one elf couple.

They say that the flowers from the assassin's fall to the bottom of the water when they die. However it was shown that one of the flowers had only sunk but not reached the bottom and that the light was still showing. The implication being that when he was trapped in the coin that he didn't die. Only trapped. Which we know that Viren still has the coins around. Very likely Runaan will be freed at some point.

Also if you haven't watched She-Ra you probably should.
Beat me to it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Likewise there's this interesting tension with dark magic where it gets all of the aesthetic signifiers of being evil, but we see it used for good and certain humans have a fair point that it's not cool to ban the only kind of magic they can do. With respect to this, it's actually a little disappointing that Callum gets elemental magic in season 2 because it seems like they're going to just say that humans have an alternative.
It's weird because Callum spent, what, a week trying to learn how to use primal magic? And then he was able to discover the sky arcanum?

You'd think at least one human would have done the same thing, especially back when they literally lived in the same kingdom as the elves.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because Callum spent, what, a week trying to learn how to use primal magic? And then he was able to discover it?

You'd think at least one human would have done the same thing, especially back when they literally lived in the same kingdom as the sky elves.

I feel like it has to do with Callum's unknown father. It would explain things. Like we sure he isn't Half-Elf?

Only reason I could think of as to why he would learn it and yet apparently no one else could. Then again do we even know of any Human magic users other than Viren and Claudia? Trying to learn magic, even Dark Magic might be just super rare and hence why no human tried to learn normal magic.

Ultimately I feel like this will eventually be addressed.