• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it has to do with Callum's unknown father. It would explain things. Like we sure he isn't Half-Elf?

Only reason I could think of as to why he would learn it and yet apparently no one else could. Then again do we even know of any Human magic users other than Viren and Claudia? Trying to learn magic, even Dark Magic might be just super rare and hence why no human tried to learn normal magic.

Ultimately I feel like this will eventually be addressed.
I've a feeling that there was something special about his mother seeing as he can use magic and his brother can talk to animals which seems kinda magical.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Though I loved this season, I really wish we had more episodes.

The relationships here dont have the same depth as TLA by the end of book 1 for me.

See Zuko's arc compared to Soren.

Zadia also felt really small as a result of the quick pacing. We saw 2 settlements and not much else really.

Aah I still loved it dearly.

Even the pop culture references "I am the law" and a few more.

Especially Boomerang.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The full on gay kiss made me so happy.

No cutaways, no fades, no gimmicks. It was romantic too ♥
87c585e88b6c4a174a2c4bbf6a8c52bdae3fac4e.gif

16bd91d9db8c4209932b1c9131ae4e1e3cfe36a5.gif

I get why folks are frustrated that none of the main-main cast is queer; but I really admire how forward this show is my still making a lot of its supporting cast quite openly gay.

Anyways finished it this morning, it was an Incredible season and Im sad we gotta waaait T__T haha

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Though I loved this season, I really wish we had more episodes.

The relationships here dont have the same depth as TLA by the end of book 1 for me.

See Zuko's arc compared to Soren.

Zadia also felt really small as a result of the quick pacing. We saw 2 settlements and not much else really.

Aah I still loved it dearly.

Even the pop culture references "I am the law" and a few more.

Especially Boomerang.

Ehh, reaally??? I mean, Im not gonna fault how "kids in love" are written, but I thought Aang being almost immediately smitted with Katara was no more than puppy love that turned forreal (she was skeptical up until basically the final season too). Frankly, with TLA and LoK...and even this, I barely come to this show for a "palpitating romance"; they're often cute and nice than overly long "will they, won't they" affairs.

And Zuko isn't Soren, and by the looks of it they're looking to expand that dynamic between his family in season 4 (poor Claudia, never saw her route going that way and thought it would have been Soren in that spot instead).

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The most disturbing part is that Stevenson wrote it to satisfy the shipping fetishes of tumbler bloggers, and not because she or her companions actually cared about the IP (and I say that as a bi dude who wants to see a bi He-Man). Our exalted lesbian showrunner is reducing these characters to sexual objects and using that to profit, but nobody seems to care.
Imagine unironically posting this dogshit.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That still doesn't change the fact that they're minor characters with little screen time. The main characters are all still 100% straight, at least until the writers decide to ship Amaya and Janai to fit the diversity quota. But Callum and Rayla are still a heterosexual couple.

I did and I really didn't like it. The writing isn't very good so I found it more frustrating than anything else. It was honestly a slog to watch. The only queer couples are minor characters and the attempted romance arcs are awful. Everyone is praising it for the diverse cast, even though most of them aren't interesting characters. The villains like Hordak, Entrapta and Double Trouble are the most interesting characters (and Double Trouble only counts because thon is campy and most other characters are flat). I haven't seen anyone praising it for the writing, and in fact mjtanner on youtube has a series of videos analyzing the poor writing. The most disturbing part is that Stevenson wrote it to satisfy the shipping fetishes of tumbler bloggers, and not because she or her companions actually cared about the IP (and I say that as a bi dude who wants to see a bi He-Man). Our exalted lesbian showrunner is reducing these characters to sexual objects and using that to profit, but nobody seems to care.

I would hate if that turned out the case. The entire moral is that humans and magic don't have to be enemies, which breaks down if humans inherently can't use magic unless they're crossbreeds.
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Nyx gets promoted to a larger role next season. She has one of my favorite designs in the series.
latest

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Really enjoyed the new season. There wasn't as much room for fun slice-of-life stuff, as things moved pretty fast, but what's there was great.

Low-key best new character: Sunfire elf translator.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You are describing shipping between female characters as "being reduced to sexual objects for profit"
Shipping isnt always sexual and the show allowing for queer relationships to be seen and supported between the characters is not a bad thing.

I totally fail to see how the characters are sexual objects when they have characterisation and interpersonal relationships, but you clearly have a hate boner for lesbian relationships and seem to think they are inherently sexual so yeah that's on you

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Saying Noelle Stevenson created She-Ra to "satisfy the shipping fetishes of tumbler bloggers and not because she or her companions actually cared about the IP" is some sexist-ass gate-keeping.

It's also blatantly untrue because the show barely has any overt sexual tension. There's more romance between Callum and Rayla in season 3 of the Dragon Prince than there has ever been in She-Ra; there hasn't even been a goddamn kiss between two main characters so far. That's not to say the show doesn't have clear romantic elements (Entrapta and Hordak, Catra's obsession with Adora, Scorpia's crush on Catra), but those elements always are written primarily to serve the characters' ongoing arcs. It's fucking insulting to reduce the show to those romantic elements and act like there's nothing else there, or to imply those romantic elements "only" exist as some form of fan service and not as important parts of the characters.

Look at this interview answer from Noelle Stevenson.

You're making a point to feature stories about young women growing through their successes and failures. Why was it important to show that?

Because it is just a story that I don't feel you always get to see. The classic female character who's the princess, they're not expected to fully gain the power and the leadership of leading a group of people. So as princesses, they still get to follow their own whims and express themselves very freely. But as soon as you have people looking to you for leadership, you start to lose some of that. It's a very, very difficult story to tell, and it's a very, very difficult position to be in. And so I was really passionate about showing how hard it could be, and how challenging it could be.

There are moments for all three of the characters. With Glimmer, it's like, "Oh, I can't go on this mission. I have to go to meetings. I have meetings all day!" With Adora, she is looking to this seer who came before her, and seeing that she had failed. The story that she heard about Mara was that she had washed out, and gone crazy, and snapped under the pressure. So she's trying so hard not to fall into that same trap. And then Catra's just full meltdown. Being alone, being isolated, and pushing people away.

All of those things are different ways that people, and especially women, deal with leadership positions when you're not supported in those positions. I just want it to show that version of female leadership and all of its messy glory, and show how these different young women are dealing with the power. Power can be such an incredible asset to have, but it can also be something that is a huge responsibility that is really, really difficult to deal with. I wanted to just show all the different shades of that story, of young people moving into leadership positions, and how they dealt with it.
Does this sound like a show written "to satisfy the shipping fetishes of Tumblr bloggers"?

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Stevenson and co. still admitted to never watching the original and making up their plots out of whole cloth.
A basic google search reveals a ton of interviews that confirm Noelle Stevenson has indeed watched the original She-Ra, not to mention the new show uses concepts and characters from the original cartoon, toy line, and even the Masters of the Universe 2002 cartoon. It has new plots because it's a fucking new show.

So could you do us a favor and stop with the blatant bullshit? If you still think Noelle Stevenson hasn't watched the 1980s She-Ra, provide receipts.

There isn't a lot of relationship development in general, much less anything romantic. Most of the show is filler.
She-Ra focuses an absurd amount on character development. It's easily the cartoon's most important aspect, for better and for worse (there's a reason the worldbuilding often feels shallow or limited, especially compared to the scale of a series like the Dragon Prince). Every major plot development comes straight from the characters' actions and personalities, and the focus is always on how those plots shape the characters. Major themes like the cycle of abuse are entirely dependent on the show's consistent and well-explained character dynamics.

The idea that there isn't a lot of relationship development is such ridiculous bullshit that I question whether you actually watched She-Ra or just watched shitty YouTube reviews of it.

Honestly, I feel bad having this discussion in this thread since it's unfair to the fans of the Dragon Prince and there's a perfectly good She-Ra OT to discuss it in, but I'm sick of dealing with disingenuous nonsense. You opened this discussion with some 4chan tier comments and people are not going to let that slide.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019
A basic google search reveals a ton of interviews that confirm Noelle Stevenson has indeed watched the original She-Ra, not to mention the new show uses concepts and characters from the original cartoon, toy line, and even the Masters of the Universe 2002 cartoon. It has new plots because it's a fucking new show.

So could you do us a favor and stop with the blatant bullshit? If you still think Noelle Stevenson hasn't watched the 1980s She-Ra, provide receipts.

She-Ra focuses an absurd amount on character development. It's easily the cartoon's most important aspect, for better and for worse (there's a reason the worldbuilding often feels shallow or limited, especially compared to the scale of a series like the Dragon Prince). Every major plot development comes straight from the characters' actions and personalities, and the focus is always on how those plots shape the characters. Major themes like the cycle of abuse are entirely dependent on the show's consistent and well-explained character dynamics.

The idea that there isn't a lot of relationship development is such ridiculous bullshit that I question whether you actually watched She-Ra or just watched shitty YouTube reviews of it.

Honestly, I feel bad having this discussion in this thread since it's unfair to the fans of the Dragon Prince and there's a perfectly good She-Ra OT to discuss it in, but I'm sick of dealing with disingenuous nonsense. You opened this discussion with some 4chan tier comments and people are not going to let that slide.
Okie dokie. I'll take your informative responses into consideration when forming my own thoughts in the future. Have a nice day! Best wishes!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, season 3 was absurdly beautiful from a visual standpoint. I'm shocked at how many different assets Wonderstorm were able to create and use.

Asset reuse is still notable for stuff like the armies, but everywhere else it's much better than the first two seasons.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was a pretty ace season. God, Amaya is fuckin' awesome. I want more Amaya. Excited to see where book four goes, they were setting up some nice story beats.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just binged season 3 and I really enjoyed how things played out. Crazy tho how quickly Ezran's arc turned. While some of the new character growth and connections could have used more screentime (hello Aunt Amaya), most of it felt earned and in-character and not just a throwaway. Soren was a real nice surprise after the events of last season and I'm glad they just went with it for Callum and Rayla instead of teasing it out. Great season all around.

Real surprised tho as the way things were being built up, they were going to end there. Glad we are getting another season, tho I really wish Claudia could see her father for who he really is. I don't expect things to end well for her by the end.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Watched two episodes. None of the comedy is really hitting for me and the biggest flaw from the last two seasons (abrupt or pointless cutting between A and B plots) is just as bad in this one. I'll watch a few more episodes but I have no strong desire to.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it was good, but also felt a bit rushed? I enjoyed my time with S3 and enjoyed the ending, but only 9 episodes? Really?

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Binged season 3 with my wife last night, so good. So many good feelings from the end. I felt like I was the only one watching this show before opening this thread.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Really liked the King Haram paired like the Obama portrait at the end of episode 2. Last season it pretty much heavily hinted that he is trapped as the bird. So the main things for next season is the return of Aavaros, Viren, and Claudia with the moon elves as pocket change? Obviously they can introduce anything else new if they want.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i finished season 3 and its still just okay but much better than the first two seasons

its like this show is the cliffnotes version of a longer, better, more fleshed out show

Aunt Amaya still needs to be the main character but theres no justice in the world so she will always have little screentime

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i finished season 3 and its still just okay but much better than the first two seasons

its like this show is the cliffnotes version of a longer, better, more fleshed out show

Aunt Amaya still needs to be the main character but theres no justice in the world so she will always have little screentime
When she filled in for the shield line I got the shivers

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the season but even with the teaser I wonder how they plan to squeeze more put of the series in the end.

That being said it is sad the brief run time doesnt allow much world building but at least the shipping drama ended quickly.

Lots of loose threads too. I wont be shocked if they time skip.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Finished, I think the show is great. I'm a fan.

only thing that bothered me at the end, the army they fought was literally their neighbors, friends, their own ppl etc, that Ezra tried to protect yet they all forgot that reaaaally quickly

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
So are all spoilers tagged? Always forget how these binge drop show threads do things.

Just started, On episode 2.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
This season took a massive nosedive in terms of writing quality. 9 episodes is literally barely enough for this now.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Ended up watching it, despite my extreme reservations about Ehasz being a fucking shitbag, but I have friends who work on the animation end.

It feels like nearly every adult is written with the same brush of "cutesy glibness." Even the elf ghost dude, they cut to him and he's laying on his front, being playful with Viren in a way that feels so out-of-character. It's either that, or they repeat the same joke of "jokey awkward character makes overenthusiastic or silly statement to other character who just goes 'uhhhh what?'" Like... that's the joke. And they do it again and again. It often feels like the only joke they have sometimes. It comes off extremely lame and trying way too fucking hard. It's one thing when it's Callum and Rayla because, hey, they're kids. But there are conversations here that just made me think of incidental dialogue in a video game once where Nolan North is just talking to another Nolan North.

End of the season just kinda ended up feeling rushed, and it's obviously not the end, and yet it still felt like it just kinda 'happened' without much build.

I laughed real hard at Rayla talking to her brother's boyfriend, and then the flashback to their moment saying goodbye. Like "oh yeah, that other character we put into the grave? He's gay too. But he is, again, dead." Great fucking job on that one. A real win for representation. I know "bury your gays" is a shitty trope, but man, this show seems to have a habit of revealing their sexuality after they've already done the burying.

Also, man, Nyx is like the most DeviantArt OC cosplayer-looking motherfucker, and it just clashes so awkwardly with the world.

And oh yeah... fuck Ehasz

Last edited:

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up watching it, despite my extreme reservations about Ehasz being a fucking shitbag, but I have friends who work on the animation end.

It feels like nearly every adult is written with the same brush of "cutesy glibness." Even the elf ghost dude, they cut to him and he's laying on his front, being playful with Viren in a way that feels so out-of-character. It's either that, or they repeat the same joke of "jokey awkward character makes overenthusiastic or silly statement to other character who just goes 'uhhhh what?'" Like... that's the joke. And they do it again and again. It often feels like the only joke they have sometimes. It comes off extremely lame and trying way too fucking hard. It's one thing when it's Callum and Rayla because, hey, they're kids. But there are conversations here that just made me think of incidental dialogue in a video game once where Nolan North is just talking to another Nolan North.

End of the season just kinda ended up feeling rushed, and it's obviously not the end, and yet it still felt like it just kinda 'happened' without much build.

I laughed real hard at Rayla talking to her brother's boyfriend, and then the flashback to their moment saying goodbye. Like "oh yeah, that other character we put into the grave? He's gay too. But he is, again, dead." Great fucking job on that one. A real win for representation. I know "bury your gays" is a shitty trope, but man, this show seems to have a habit of revealing their sexuality after they've already done the burying.

Also, man, Nyx is like the most DeviantArt OC cosplayer-looking motherfucker, and it just clashes so awkwardly with the world.

Scathing but I don't really disagree with anything here despite enjoying the show overall

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Considering what Danika wrote about that moment on Twitter today, Aaron was informed about how fucked up this was and he didn't care.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got a feeling this show has 2 more seasons left into it. But knowing Netflix it'll only get one more. Was Callum's Real Dad a Wizard/Elf or some shit? because he keeps learning all these new spells like nothing.

Jul 5, 2019
I can't believe this show pulled a "gay character is only in a flashback and is dead in the present" moment not once, but twice. Within three seasons, it patted itself on the back for burying gay characters multiple times. I wanted to like this show at first but I really don't think I care about it anymore. (It doesn't help that the writing is so spotty even beyond the handling of gay rep, lol)

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally binged the new season last night and wow it was really good. Definitely the best season by far! The only thing that really keeps pulling this show down for me is the god awful, horrendous af humor. It's soooo bad, and undermines several of its characters and serious moments for the sake of the shitty lulz. I really wish they'd dial that back more, or at least allow different characters to have different humor befitting of their personalities. Just cuz it's a kid's show doesn't mean every joke needs to be dumb as rocks. (sigh)

I'm not sure how spoilers are being handled for this thread atm, so I'm just gonna put all my s3 thoughts under a cut to be safe.

I really liked a lot of the characters introduced this season. Nyx is fab and I love her and her design so much. I also really liked the translator elf with the glasses, she was sooo cute. Man, I'm usually not one to get attached to female characters but this show is full of fantastic ladies that I actually really like for once. Amaya is a gd bamf and her little budding romance with the elf lady is precious as heck.
I'm really appreciating the romance for this show in general, actually. Typically it's a detractor for me cuz it's usually so.... hey look here's a guy and there's a girl and they're in the vicinity of each other so obvsly they gotta hook up! regardless of chemistry or lack thereof. But I really like how Rayla and Callum work off each other, and instead of feeling cringy their romantic moments all felt super sweet.

And I know there's a ton of critique over Runaan and Ethari right now (another new character introduction this season I super loved btw!), but it feels pretty obvious to me that Runaan is still alive, just stuck in that coin, and will eventually be rescued and the two reunited. It's unfortunate about the queens in s2, but I really like Amaya and her gal and the two elf boyfriends, and I feel optimistic for their futures if the show gets more seasons.

I'm not especially taken with the show being cgi, but boy do I love the art style and art direction for it. So many designs, settings, and frames are sooooo beautiful. I love how varied all the faces look, too.

The story isn't the best, but I really like the overall ideas and appreciate how dark it's starting to get. There were several moments this season that had me like, 'holy shit, this is fucked up -- they're allowed to have this in a kid's show???' Such as the deaths of the dragon king and sun elf queen, or when Viren got stabbed. Makes for a much more interesting watch when they don't shy away from darker themes and imagery. There are definitely some weak areas, though. The whole plotline of Ezran going back to his kingdom then two minutes later all lol jk let's return him to the other two was... not great. Especially the part about letting Viren go and Ezran being jailed instead?? That entire sequence had me head scratching tbqh. How quickly some characters can get to a location, while others (Callum and Rayla) take 8042803 years to get there feels very inconsistent, too. But eh, it is a kid's show so I guess I expect a bit of hand waving over the details.

Anyway, to wrap my rambling up, just wanna add that god damn do I love Aaravos. He's so pretty and so playful-devious. Can't wait to see what hell he unleashes in the future seasons lol. (Fingers crossed it gets renewed!)

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the first scene of the season. More reason dark magic is justfied in this world and barring humans from using it altogether is ridiculously oppressive.