• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
There was a localized version of PSO2 in Asia territories so if they wanted to they could have released it. They had no confidence that it could rival the big other MMORPG available in the west. It being F2P probably didn't help.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that if you want to play it badly enough, there's a pretty well-made fan-translation patcher that is updated frequently. http://arks-layer.com/

The hardest part is the captcha for account creation. The game's fanbase is rather niche so it'll be a little bit harder to search for guides and resources. I'd recommend http://www.bumped.org/psublog/ for translated PSO2 news.

There was a localized version of PSO2 in Asia territories so if they wanted to they could have released it. They had no confidence that it could rival the big other MMORPG available in the west. It being F2P probably didn't help.

The SEA version was "pay to win" with outfits having stat bonuses and more on them. It was also waaaay behind on updates.

vereor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why there isn't a western localization for this game? Is there any legitimate explanation or it's just Sega being Sega?

Sephirod

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.
I played it a lot last year when Episode 4 landed on PS4. The economy and collabs are so well made, I knew it wasn't a fit for the western audience yet and that we wouldn't have it anytime soon but it's still sad.
I wish they never announced a western release and I hope that when PSO3 happens (and it will happen), it's gonna be a worldwide release.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will always hate Sega for never bringing this over to the West, I just don't understand why they couldn't do it.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why there isn't a western localization for this game? Is there any legitimate explanation or it's just Sega being Sega?
They've never explained it, no. It was originally announced for a Western release, but then it quietly got 'indefinitely delayed' until it became clear that it wasn't happening anymore. Looking at the localisation of the SEA version, it's interesting to note that the localisation takes a MASSIVE dive in quality at the very end of the Episode 1 content (as in, mistranslations galore, unintelligible dialogue, missing or misattributed pronouns, etc.) so that was potentially the point at which Sega dropped the plans for a proper Western release and left the people running the SEA server to translate the game themselves, which... didn't go so well.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

It didn't need to rival other big mmos. It just had to rival Warframe (the literal only competitor at the time). They fucked up. Now destiny is making money like a mothafucka and pso2 has no chance to fill this market now.

I want to be clear when I say this: SEGA, you completely fucked up.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't need to rival other big mmos. It just had to rival Warframe (the literal only competitor at the time). They fucked up. Now destiny is making money like a mothafucka and pso2 has no chance to fill this market now.

It could have done just that. It's very comparable in quality to Warframe, and better in many ways. But SEGA had no faith in it... : \

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
To be honest, the Western servers would likely be massively behind on content, would lack a lot of the collaboration content (to be fair to Sega here, I can't imagine sorting the licensing issues is easy), and would probably have a lacklustre response to cheating, based on the history of, say, Phantasy Star Universe.

With quite a lot of the community jumping on the JP server train, they may have decided it wasn't worth the bother. Of course, whether that was justified is up for debate, but since Sega have never really officially spoken about why PSO2 ended up not happening in the west, all we can really do is speculate. Clearly they had plans - apart from the website there was a PAX demo, but something changed at some point. Perhaps some internal shift at Sega led to it not being seen as viable? It'd be nice to find out.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I specifically remember playing PSO2 in Japanese and then stopping telling myself it will release in the west. It has been...4 years now ? Absolute incredible, and F2P works very well in the west too.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Sega so much, having spent thousand of hours into PSO Episode 1&2 / Blue Burst.
Tried the JP server but so much stuff are untranslated it kills my enjoyment.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I will always hate Sega for never bringing this over to the West, I just don't understand why they couldn't do it.

This and Nova. Would have bought both on my Vita day one if they had been localized, as I loved playing action RPGs on that platform.

Sega gonna Sega.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They didn't bring over Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity either, which was a shame as it really improved upon the already pretty fun Phantasy Star Portable 2.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I hope next time, if they crunch the numbers and it makes sense, they plan so that the game launches in the West instead of breaking promises and disappointing those who wanted a localized version their friends and family could easily try.

Oct 31, 2017
Never cared even remotely about the original or this sequel, but it's so weird to witness the way SEGA handled this.
They never bothered giving the game a chance outside of the asian market.
Did it bomb hard, by the way?

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on how they launch it and what kind of success they want with it.

Universe was trash. PSO was a hit back in the day.

They have a track record of success with the brand so they could just soft release to the hard core who would grab it up through word of mouth .

Open up 2-3 servers North America and just let it rock. They could've made money off it for sure .

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Somebody should tell Liam

How much does Liam owe Pat?
pat.gif

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A loss for us but also a loss for Sega. Such a shame, as PSO is one of my favourites of all time.

Out of interest, did the same composer do the PSO2 soundtrack? And if so, is it available to listen to online?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Probably did an assessment of whether or not it would be worth the cost and decided against it. To be fair, localizing and maintaining an MMO is a whole other thing and commitment compared to just a one and done game or even one with multiplayer. Still, I think it would have had a decent chance.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I tried to replay PSO relatively recently and the combat had not aged well, very slow and clunky controls, in a bad way, not in a Monster Hunter or Dark Souls way which are timeless in comparison :d

So, was this fun? What had they done to bring the game up to modern standards?

Parakeetman

Oct 25, 2017

Simple fact is nobody wanted to pay for all of the costs involved with running a F2P MMO. Amazing how people keep ignoring that.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Well , i don't know what you guys were waiting for . PSO2 was only an anime.
According to sega it's not a game. And according to the anime ....
CernU0qXIAAqE1D.jpg

It's not a game either.

MOVE ALONG FOLKS

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Missed opportunity since it was announced and released with no real competition at the time, at least an established franchise that is. That said it was their choice. Like others mentioned I can't imagine the collabs would have happened or have been easy outside Japan. Not to mention other logistical issues such as SEGA's weird update style of different regions getting updates first/if at all like in the past. Like I always say in PSO2 threads though, we got better free to play / MMO titles now.

I dunno when or if we see a PSO3, but I think the PSO2 Experiment worked out very well for them in Japan. If they want to roll the dice on a 3 and make it international is the other question.