The DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment attachment is available now

USF

Oct 28, 2017
Received mine from Amazon JP

You do need to adjust how you handle the controller to avoid clicking it unintentionally, but overall the triggers are well made and you can feel the clicks (if that makes sense)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Unless your fingers have a diameter of an inch I don't see how
I found that they give the sensation that they’re just compounding out of the curvature of the lower-middle section of the controller. For contrast, I feel that the paddles that come with the Elite controllers on the Xbox side do a good job of going with the curvature of the controller handles rather than the body of the controller, making it feel a lot less straining ergonomically.

This is a good idea from Sony and I encourage them to continue to officially offer ways to access this functionality on any future controllers they make, but this first go at it doesn’t feel ergonomically as great as it could be, IMO. I like having paddles and I do find that I perform a bit better in some genres with them, but these ones just made my fingers ache too much because they feel like they add a ton of bulk the way I hold the Dual Shock 4 — and like I said in my previous post, without these attached, the Dual Shock 4 is ergonomically my favorite controller, and it’s just not worth giving up that comfort for this functionality right now IMO.

To their credit, this attachment is made of some really good materials and the tactile sensation is fantastic and I’d say superior to the Elite, but it just isn’t nearly as comfortable in the hand for me — noticeably worse, in fact.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I might be stupid or something but I found the thing very finicky to attach. I lined up the headphone jack straight in but somehow I just couldn't make it snap in place. After twisting and turning for 5 minutes it just went in and everything is working great.

Omnistalgic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Hmm wondering should I go and pick it up from Walmart or GameStop and cancel my amazon preorder? They aren’t shipping till 29th.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
I'm amazed at how I went from laughing at this on announcement to intrigue when threads here started having positive reports to then pre-ordering as soon as I was done reading those threads, and now being desperate to receive it in February...and mentally coming up with the button assignments I want for all my games.

Dec 1, 2017
I might be stupid or something but I found the thing very finicky to attach. I lined up the headphone jack straight in but somehow I just couldn't make it snap in place. After twisting and turning for 5 minutes it just went in and everything is working great.
Same. I was genuinely worried that I was going to break it. But it feels solid and comfortable now that it's in.

Zleilndka

Nov 1, 2017
KS
Coming from someone who thought this was gimmicky and wouldn't amount to anything. I actually kind of like it... A lot. Getting it early and cheaper from Walmart was too tempting. Keep in mind I've never used back paddles before in any fashion.

Playing Dark Souls and using the paddles/back buttons for run-dodge and jump felt immediately intuitive. Was surprised at how natural it felt for that game. Definitely worth it for me for certain types of games. I map similar functions for FPS or Third Person Shooter games (jump and reload) and it feels great on those games. Being able to turn the camera and jump/reload without some weird grip definitely feels better on the console side, though mouse and keyboard is still King overall.

Tried it with Tekken 7 and wasn't a huge fan, but I was able to do Kazuya electrics mapping the paddles to directional buttons fairly consistently (similar idea to hitbox), but I'm too used to holding the controller claw style for fighting games. Holding the controller normally in Tekken feels off to me and the extra buttons get in the way IMO. I also use stick on and off.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
It depends on how you normally hold the controller. If like me your fingers rest normally where the attachment goes, you're going to have to completely change how you hold it. I'm finding my hands now hurt after gaming for a little while compared to never hurting before. My hope is that if the DS5 has these paddles that they're placed more ideally.

OP
OP
minimaxir

minimaxir

Built an AI that makes better threads than you
May 9, 2018
Now sold out online from Target/Gamestop/Walmart.

Sony really underestimated demand here.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now sold out online from Target/Gamestop/Walmart.

Sony really underestimated demand here.
I've been checking it on Gamestop.com on and off over the weekend and I never saw it as available to sell online for home delivery. I couldn't even check local stores for it. Very weird. Glad I cancelled my Amazon/Walmart orders and got it from Target.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I picked up the 2 I preordered from GameStop plus one more. One of them appears to be defective, unfortunately, I'll need to test more. The part that connects to the microphone and expansion jack is not "locked" in position for optimal connection, it was tilted upwards and wouldn't lock back into the "correct" position. It will work for 30 seconds and then the controller shuts off. I will have to test on another controller to make sure it is not the controller itself (I had previously done a small stick replacement mod on it).

Aside from that, it was a small learning curve getting used to the physical presence of the buttons on the back. It is very secure, but I was unsure a little about how to click, or prevent accidental clicks. I kept playing COD MP matches until I got started to begin using it instinctively. I definitely enjoyed having it. Ideally I would want something a little bit slimmer, but as an add-on, it feels pretty good. I'm going to make sure to included on all my controllers and hope we get this as a default feature on Dualshock 5 going forward. It shouldn't have to be an extra add-on.

Also, programming this thing is super easy. The screen makes sense for this, no need to go to the UI to change things while playing a game.

Edit: Tried it on a different controller and it worked fine. Got another Back Button for the previously troubled controller and that worked fine as well. Much more used to using this device after two days.

Last edited:

JDFaulky

Oct 25, 2017
Received mine from Amazon JP

You do need to adjust how you handle the controller to avoid clicking it unintentionally, but overall the triggers are well made and you can feel the clicks (if that makes sense)

Is this custom painted or an officially released color? I want it! I have the Alpine Green one but this is nicer.

Doombear

Oct 25, 2017
PDX
Is this custom painted or an officially released color? I want it! I have the Alpine Green one but this is nicer.
Not sure if it is exclusive to Gamestop, but I have seen this color version there.

I am really liking this attachment so far. The sheer ease involved with switching out what buttons are mapped is probably my favorite perk compared to other attachments and controllers I've used.

TheRulingRing

Apr 6, 2018
I'm surprised at the number of people surprised at how useful this is lol.

Have you guys never heard of paddles before or something?

Doombear

Oct 25, 2017
PDX
I'm surprised at the number of people surprised at how useful this is lol.

Have you guys never heard of paddles before or something?
Personally I have used the X1 adapter so I can use my X1 Elite on PS4/Switch. I have the Astro C40. I have the Collective Minds paddle adapter.

The first two options aren't remotely comparable in price. The Collective Minds attachment has its own set of issues, namely how comparitively convoluted it is to switch the button mapping. I think this is getting the attention it deserves for being 1st party and affordable. I also DO think that paddles aren't as mainstream as some of us that use them and love them think they are.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Might pick one up. I'm playing Arkham Knight again and forgot how awkward activating detective mode or the gadget wheel can be.

Apr 12, 2018
I've never heard of this until now.

I like the design but I can't imagine the power drain on the already weak DS4 battery.

Doombear

Oct 25, 2017
PDX
I've never heard of this until now.

I like the design but I can't imagine the power drain on the already weak DS4 battery.
I used it all day yesterday wondering the same thing. It drained no faster than it normally would have. At least not noticeably. The screen shuts off quite fast after switching profiles/programming button maps, and that would be the largest drain anyway.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
My impressions after a few hours of play. The unit was very finicky to attach but feels solid now that it's on. The button placements feel very natural. It's far easier to hit these two larger buttons then the smaller paddles on the xbox elite controller. There is a nice click to the buttons. The screen is nice and switching button layouts/profiles is easy. My only complaint is that it very slightly obstructs access to the home button. It's not a big deal at all but I figured it was worth mentioning.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
SoCali
So my local Gamestop has one left in stock that they'll hold for me until I pick it up. I haven't bought anything from them in a while now, lol.

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
My impressions after a few hours of play. The unit was very finicky to attach but feels solid now that it's on. The button placements feel very natural. It's far easier to hit these two larger buttons then the smaller paddles on the xbox elite controller. There is a nice click to the buttons. The screen is nice and switching button layouts/profiles is easy. My only complaint is that it very slightly obstructs access to the home button. It's not a big deal at all but I figured it was worth mentioning.
It felt like I was having to force it when I first attached it. But after the initial plugin it seems to be a lot easier.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
SoCali
Haha, hopefully there's a simple solution to fix what I did with my new unit.

I changed one of the three profiles to left <null> right <null> so that I can switch to "dead" buttons when I play a game I don't want mapped. Instead of doing that, it just deleted that profile. It now switches between the other two instead.

How do I get it back? I already tried unplugging it and resetting my PS4. Nothing worked to bring back the third profile.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, hopefully there's a simple solution to fix what I did with my new unit.

I changed one of the three profiles to left <null> right <null> so that I can switch to "dead" buttons when I play a game I don't want mapped. Instead of doing that, it just deleted that profile. It now switches between the other two instead.

How do I get it back? I already tried unplugging it and resetting my PS4. Nothing worked to bring back the third profile.
You can do two things:
1. Toggle between profiles while you're in programming mode. This way you can select the profile you set to double <null> and reprogram it.
2. Factory reset the attachment by pressing down & holding both back buttons and the center button simultaneously for about 5 seconds or so.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I'm probably wrong, but I just can't get it out of my head that the PS5 will have something like this as standard and this is a way of being able to convert a PS4 controller to work on PS5...

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
I'm probably wrong, but I just can't get it out of my head that the PS5 will have something like this as standard and this is a way of being able to convert a PS4 controller to work on PS5...
Yeah, it seems to make sense as a way to get it out there and have PS5 controller be a halfway house between zero paddles and the full complement of four you get on Xbox Elite.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered on Amazon on Jan. 1st but still have no shipping date. I may just try to go out and buy one today and cancel my Amazon order.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is sold out everywhere. My Target preorder got cancelled so I don't have it. I hope Best Buy doesn't cancel the preorder I have with them.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
I pre ordered from BBY on 12/18/19. I see this on my order now: Pickup available on Release Date: Tue, February 4.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Preordered when they went up and Amazon is saying delivery next Wednesday. Hopefully that sticks.