The DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment attachment is available now

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone's asked this or not, but do they fit on both the original and newer DS4s?

OP
OP
minimaxir

minimaxir

Built an AI that makes better threads than you
May 9, 2018
Got mine. Happy with it, although I understand the complaints behind the clickiness. It requires a bit of getting used to.

You can now order directly from Sony.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Playing Kingdom Hearts III ReMind and mapping the back buttons to up and down is a literal game changer.

Doombear

Oct 25, 2017
PDX
Might be worth it then. Was playing apex today and accidentally pushed in R3 which was melee instead of shoot someone. Has happened countless times to me.
Only problem there is that it doesn't unmap actual R3. So if you are prone to press too hard on L3 or R3 (like I am sometimes) you'll still do it with the attachment =(

Last edited:

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
SoCali
You can do two things:
1. Toggle between profiles while you're in programming mode. This way you can select the profile you set to double <null> and reprogram it.
2. Factory reset the attachment by pressing down & holding both back buttons and the center button simultaneously for about 5 seconds or so.
The first method didn't work, but the second one worked fine. Thank you. From now on, instead of double null, I'll go with left null and right R3 on one profile. This is to keep it from actually triggering something (like on the PS4 UI screen) when I don't need an active profile up.

Last edited:

Marble

Nov 27, 2017
Might be worth it then. Was playing apex today and accidentally pushed in R3 which was melee instead of shoot someone. Has happened countless times to me.
And this solves what exactly? This thing doesn't magically turn off buttons, so if you hit L3 again, you will just perform another melee attack.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
Has anyone else played Red Dead 2 with the attachment? I‘m having an issue where the controller shuts off frequently at random with the attachment every few minutes. Press the PS button to turn it back on and it shuts off randomly again in a few minutes, even on loading screens like with fast travel when I’m not pressing any buttons. The controller was fully charged and it even happened while the USB cable was plugged in (although my console is set to use Bluetooth, not USB for controller communication).

The weird thing is that it seems to work fine with other games and on the PS home screen menus. I played other games with it for multiple hours with no shutdown issues.

LukarWuff

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to trying to get one of these today, but when I got to GameStop, they were out of stock. Checked Brickseek, but it showed that Walmart and Target were both out of stock as well. Still, I went to Walmart anyway to see if they may have anything that might catch my eye... and lo and behold, they actually had one left, sitting in a glass display.

About to head home with it. I'm trying to play Kingdom Hearts III on Critical atm, so hopefully this will help with cycling through commands without taking my thumb off the left stick.

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
How good is this for fighting games? My little bro uses pad & I was thinking of getting this for both my use in shooters (I use a stick for fighting games) & his use in fighting games.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to find in Canada or at least online, scummy people on amazon.ca have bought them all and are selling them for $60 CND.

Stocktracker.ca for the item at walmarts.

Oct 25, 2017
How good is this for fighting games? My little bro uses pad & I was thinking of getting this for both my use in shooters (I use a stick for fighting games) & his use in fighting games.
I think it would depend on whether the altered ergonomics would affect his ability to use the dpad comfortably and accurately. I don't use a dualshock for fighting games, but I use a pad, and if I had to hold it differently it would probably hurt my execution and/or comfort. I don't know if it's a matter of just getting used to it or not; I haven't used the attachment for more a couple minutes.

Neoxon

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think it would depend on whether the altered ergonomics would affect his ability to use the dpad comfortably and accurately. I don't use a dualshock for fighting games, but I use a pad, and if I had to hold it differently it would probably hurt my execution and/or comfort. I don't know if it's a matter of just getting used to it or not; I haven't used the attachment for more a couple minutes.
He’s actually a weird case of someone who mainly uses the left stick.

JDFaulky

Oct 25, 2017
I walked into my local Wal-Mart today to buy something quick I needed and happened to look and they had about 5 of them in-stock on the shelf with the PS4 accessories. I was surprised how small the box was and at first I thought it was one of those "display, purchase at the register" kinda boxes but nope, it's just that light weight.

I slapped it on my controller and was surprised how nice it feels. I hate the back paddles on the Elite controller because I hit them on accident all the time so I ended up just pulling them off. These are not intrusive and they have a cool tactile click to them. I don't see myself hitting these on accident. Excited to play some games with it.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
It took me some time to get used to using it. Felt like I had to rewire my brain to make sense of the buttons being there. Now I’m used to it and love it.

fetus8

May 21, 2018
I checked this morning, Walmart, Gamestop, and Best Buy are all sold out in Colorado, but all my local Best Buys are getting a shipment next week, according to their website. They’re taking “preorders” for em right now too.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Mine arrived from Amazon!

Excited to play GoW with it because trying to shoot arrows with square while also moving the camera AND hitting things with Kratos, although doable, is really unwieldy.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
It took me some time to get used to using it. Felt like I had to rewire my brain to make sense of the buttons being there. Now I’m used to it and love it.
My thoughts exactly. Really enjoying this attachment now that I'm used to it. I also remember my middle finger cramping up due to the modified ergonomics. Thought I was going to have to return it for that alone. Luckily, it hasn't been an issue since the first few hours of using it.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
man I had a chance to buy it from PlayStation's Online store on Sunday, in the cart....1 day free delivery... got complacent... then sold out Monday.

feelsbadman.

PR_rambo

Oct 25, 2017
well that sucks. nevermind then
I have the same problem with most FPS games that have melee mapped to R3. Go into settings and change to button puncher. Takes a while to get used to punching with Circle and sliding with R3, but now it won't interrupt your shooting you will just crouch lol.

Jun 23, 2019
How do you guys have yours set up for Call of Duty? I’m really trying to get used to this thing and it is throwing me off something fierce.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
How do you guys have yours set up for Call of Duty? I’m really trying to get used to this thing and it is throwing me off something fierce.
I have the right button for reload and switching around the left to see what I like most. Currently, it's jump but sometimes I have it set to switch weapons.

It does take some time to get used to, but it feels so natural once you do.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack how did i not notice this thread, it's been out over a week already? gimmeeeeeee

when someone said no touchpad, that means you can't program the touchpaad button? that would be really helpful for one of my games (neverwinter keeps sensing a swipe when i try to button push it)

kriskrosbbk

Oct 28, 2017
Can you assign share or options there? I would like to use it for RDR map by holding options if possible. Anyone knows?

ty_hot

Dec 14, 2017
This thing releasing so late in the generation just makes me think that the PS5 controller will have it by default and if we want to use our Dualshock 4 in the PS5 we will need this attachment...

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty impressed with the unit. I've never had any love for controller addons, but this one is built well and just works. It's a nice stopgap upgrade for people who want a pro controller but think the cost is too much, and the ds4 has always had a nice build quality (on the body at least)

LukarWuff

Oct 27, 2017
This thing releasing so late in the generation just makes me think that the PS5 controller will have it by default and if we want to use our Dualshock 4 in the PS5 we will need this attachment...
I don't know about needing it, but I do think that back buttons will be the standard on the DualShock 5, yeah. This attachment was probably created so that people using their old controllers won't be at a disadvantage when playing multiplayer games with people who are using a DS5.