• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found one at my Walmart tonight (the last one!). Haven't tried it out yet but it doesn't feel too bad in my hands.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta be honest, after playing most of Sekiro with the attachment, o don't really like it. It makes running and healing a lot easier, but it does make the controller more uncomfortable and my brain keeps pressing these buttons rather than R2 and L2.

I'm not gonna go so far to return it but I'm not a fan.

I'm having similar trouble. My middle fingers rest on the back buttons, and I end up screwing up and pressing them when I want to aim and shoot in a TPS and FPS. I tend to hold the grips tight. I'm not sure what to do yet, I still have test it out with Destiny 2. It might be too late in the PS4 generation to retrain my brain for this. I'm so used to using Circle for crouch too.

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Has anyone else played Red Dead 2 with the attachment? I'm having an issue where the controller shuts off frequently at random with the attachment every few minutes. Press the PS button to turn it back on and it shuts off randomly again in a few minutes, even on loading screens like with fast travel when I'm not pressing any buttons. The controller was fully charged and it even happened while the USB cable was plugged in (although my console is set to use Bluetooth, not USB for controller communication). I tried resetting the controller using a paper clip but it still happened.

The weird thing is that the problem ONLY happens in Red Dead. It seems to work fine with other games and on the PS home screen menus. I played other games with it for multiple hours with no shutdown issues. The controller is about a year old, battery lasts 4-5 hours and I've had no issues with it at all without the attachment on.
Only thing I can think of is that RDR2 has some anti-cheat system and read the attachment like some third party weird controller, but I could be totally out of track.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This is the kind of thing I would need to try before purchasing to see how it feels, but I have no way for doing that. Don't think I want to just blind buy it.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to trying to get one of these today, but when I got to GameStop, they were out of stock. Checked Brickseek, but it showed that Walmart and Target were both out of stock as well. Still, I went to Walmart anyway to see if they may have anything that might catch my eye... and lo and behold, they actually had one left, sitting in a glass display.

About to head home with it. I'm trying to play Kingdom Hearts III on Critical atm, so hopefully this will help with cycling through commands without taking my thumb off the left stick.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
How good is this for fighting games? My little bro uses pad & I was thinking of getting this for both my use in shooters (I use a stick for fighting games) & his use in fighting games.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to find in Canada or at least online, scummy people on amazon.ca have bought them all and are selling them for $60 CND.

Stocktracker.ca for the item at walmarts.

Oct 25, 2017
How good is this for fighting games? My little bro uses pad & I was thinking of getting this for both my use in shooters (I use a stick for fighting games) & his use in fighting games.
I think it would depend on whether the altered ergonomics would affect his ability to use the dpad comfortably and accurately. I don't use a dualshock for fighting games, but I use a pad, and if I had to hold it differently it would probably hurt my execution and/or comfort. I don't know if it's a matter of just getting used to it or not; I haven't used the attachment for more a couple minutes.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think it would depend on whether the altered ergonomics would affect his ability to use the dpad comfortably and accurately. I don't use a dualshock for fighting games, but I use a pad, and if I had to hold it differently it would probably hurt my execution and/or comfort. I don't know if it's a matter of just getting used to it or not; I haven't used the attachment for more a couple minutes.
He's actually a weird case of someone who mainly uses the left stick.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I walked into my local Wal-Mart today to buy something quick I needed and happened to look and they had about 5 of them in-stock on the shelf with the PS4 accessories. I was surprised how small the box was and at first I thought it was one of those "display, purchase at the register" kinda boxes but nope, it's just that light weight.

I slapped it on my controller and was surprised how nice it feels. I hate the back paddles on the Elite controller because I hit them on accident all the time so I ended up just pulling them off. These are not intrusive and they have a cool tactile click to them. I don't see myself hitting these on accident. Excited to play some games with it.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
It took me some time to get used to using it. Felt like I had to rewire my brain to make sense of the buttons being there. Now I'm used to it and love it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it would freak the casuals out . U know how they r lol 😂
Idk why people keep saying this. It's two extra buttons. It's not complicated and seemingly offers more in the way of accessibility than complexity.

Casual audiences already adapted to extra analog stick that click in, why cant they get used to two extra buttons that are there to make certain actions more convenient?

My parents are super casual, but their biggest obstacle is still the analog sticks. Surely if casual audiences can maneuver 3D spaces with the sticks, they can handle 2 extra buttons.

I firmly believe back buttons are a necessity for core games moving forward. Managing movement and the camera, but forcing thumbs off to do actions is cumbersome and archaic for many games.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if it's been posted, but I didn't see it.

This guy does a lot of reviews for "elite style" controllers for PS4 and the SCUF options for PS4.

he likes the ease of use
apparently there is a little bit of interference or buzzing/humming when using the headset jack on the bottom of the Back Button Attachement. (I'm not sure if he's run into that or he's just reporting what his users are telling him, though)
He still wants an "Xbox Elite Controller" equivalent from Sony.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine today. Tried playing with it for a bit and it's probably gonna get returned unless my lady finds some use in it for her Apex matches. It really throws off the ergonomics of the DS4, and results in a lot accidental button presses imo.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I ordered it from the PlayStation store on Friday, and today it still says "preparing to ship".

I hope this shit isn't back-ordered and they aren't telling me.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I ordered it from the PlayStation store on Friday, and today it still says "preparing to ship".

I hope this shit isn't back-ordered and they aren't telling me.

That's almost certainly the case, lol. Mine from Amazon gets here Wednesday, and I'll get the one from Best Buy on the 4th.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I preordered mine from amazon and it's out for delivery today. Hopefully it'll be here before I go to work so I could try this bad boy out.

fetus8

May 21, 2018
Colorado
I checked this morning, Walmart, Gamestop, and Best Buy are all sold out in Colorado, but all my local Best Buys are getting a shipment next week, according to their website. They're taking "preorders" for em right now too.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Mine arrived from Amazon!

Excited to play GoW with it because trying to shoot arrows with square while also moving the camera AND hitting things with Kratos, although doable, is really unwieldy.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Where the heck is this dang thing? I preordered in EBGames but they haven't received any yet.

I'm waiting for it to finish off the Borderlands 3 DLC. :(

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My order from Sony just shipped. Should be getting it tomorrow.

Taking suggestions on what to map the paddles for MHW, FFXIV and KHIII.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I grip the controller with two fingers on the shoulder buttons, how comfortable is this to use for people who grip like this?

I also have small hands.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

If you're playing on a harder difficulty in KH3, mapping one to d-pad up and the other to d-pad down is useful for the command menu.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got one at Walmart today. They had three I believe. I then played a bunch of Apex Legends to get adjusted to it as I've never used paddles before. I'm surprised at how quickly I got used to it. Occasionally I'll still hit X or O to jump or slide, but the vast majority of the time I use the paddles. I'm still not sure about how it makes me adjust my grip since I have to hold it a certain way to make sure I don't accidentally hit the paddles, but I'm hoping it feels natural soon. It's a big change when you've been using some variation of the DualShock for 20 years.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was literally a "back button" like B or select for backing up one step. I'm glad I read the OP properly.

Also yeah there's no way this isn't timed to bridge between ps4 and ps5.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Got mine yesterday after Best Buy Canada shipped it out last Friday. It's a really solid piece of kit and works fantastically, my only real concern is that it changes my grip on the controller and I don't know if I like that aspect yet.

I started Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice on PC the other day and the attachment doesn't necessarily add a lot--the combat automatically locks your camera to your target, so you don't really need your right thumb free for camera control--but it worked seamlessly. I can see this being really handy for Death Stranding, where you'll probably spend a significant amount of time holding both triggers down; having a second set of triggers means your index fingers/middle fingers get a rest every now and then.

Regarding the controller grip: it feels unfamiliar in the hand because of the extra bulk. The bulk is necessary; I don't see how you could make add-on paddles any smaller. But as someone who used to naturally rest their middle fingers where the back buttons are now, I haven't yet figured out my new natural resting position and I'm still trying to decide if I can rest fingers on top of the buttons or not. I think if these get added to the DualShock 5 they'll probably be much more flush, which is to my liking. Still, it's very early and I'll probably just get used to it.

Pretty happy with it overall.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I used it all night in Apex Legends. I like it! It added some weight to the controller which I had to adjust to. My headset 1/8" plug seemed hard to push into the jack on the Attachment so at first I didn't push hard enough to seat it and had no microphone. Once I corrected that by applying enough force then it was fine. I use two controllers and have one charging while I use the other one so I'll just move the Attachment between controllers when the charge is depleted.

As for the setup, it's pretty easy. The included default button settings are simple and useful Circle and X, Square and Triangle, or L1 and R1. If you want to change the defaults, that's easy too. You click and hold the button (the whole center circle is a button) and then tap the back button you want to change to something else. I eventually settled on UP on the d-pad for one of them (probably the most inconvenient button in Apex because it brings up the wheel for choosing shield cell/health/Phoenix Kit and applying heals) and Circle which on my controller is melee. No longer having to take my left thumb off the stick for the heals was massive and while it's not second nature yet, it is also a gigantic improvement. Up on the d-pad was STILL the one thing in Apex that I had to always think about while playing. This truly helped. Before that, I experimented using the face button defaults but I found that it was hard to unlearn all the face button gymnastics I already know and especially Square (which is used a lot in Apex) was hard to press a lot with a back button.

Getting comfortable with my ring fingers on the back buttons was also a little bit jarring, but by the end of the night that felt fine too. I tried my middle finger at first but that was not comfortable.

Overall, it's a solid addition to the controller. I hope the rumors of this being standard on the PS5 controller are true as I'd like the extra two buttons back there specifically for things you don't use all the time but do keep your thumbs on the sticks.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

For my Critical run I've gone with The up directional for the last back button, and right for the right back button. It basically allows you to cycle through the menu and switch keyblades without having to use your thumb.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I got mine yesterday the functionality is nice, but as people have said you have to change your grip on the controller. I think it will just take some getting used to but for the functionality and the price it is worth it.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Used it playing God of War yesterday. Jumped right into a fight with a Valkyrie, which was a bad idea in hindsight -- should've started off slower. But I noticed myself hitting the back buttons unintentionally, or holding them down when not realizing it.

Still satisfied but it may be less suitable for button-mash heavy games. Excited to try it with Titanfall 2 and Apex later.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For my Critical run I've gone with The up directional for the last back button, and right for the right back button. It basically allows you to cycle through the menu and switch keyblades without having to use your thumb.

I like it.

As for MHW, I know I'll map R1 to the right paddle so I don't have to constantly keep my finger on the shoulder button. Dunno what to use the left paddle for yet.

Still drawing a blank on FFXIV. Maybe for d-pad targeting.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Used it playing God of War yesterday. Jumped right into a fight with a Valkyrie, which was a bad idea in hindsight -- should've started off slower. But I noticed myself hitting the back buttons unintentionally, or holding them down when not realizing it.

Still satisfied but it may be less suitable for button-mash heavy games. Excited to try it with Titanfall 2 and Apex later.
I think there's a period of unlearning that comes with using it with games you've already played and have serious muscle memory for already. I've played Apex Legends for almost a year now so unlearning stuff was very difficult. On the other hand, using it sparingly for buttons I KNOW I always struggle to hit consistently made that much better right away.

I'm guessing if I started a game I haven't played yet (I have Resident Evil 2 queued up to play) then I can put something on these buttons and learn it immediately while learning the game and it will be "easy" to do that.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I think there's a period of unlearning that comes with using it with games you've already played and have serious muscle memory for already. I've played Apex Legends for almost a year now so unlearning stuff was very difficult. On the other hand, using it sparingly for buttons I KNOW I always struggle to hit consistently made that much better right away.

I'm guessing if I started a game I haven't played yet (I have Resident Evil 2 queued up to play) then I can put something on these buttons and learn it immediately while learning the game and it will be "easy" to do that.

Definitely need to rework my muscle memory. I have longish fingers although not particularly wide. I do wish the DS4 handles were longer but that's not a fair criticism given it was designed long before this attachment was ever conceived.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
It took me some time to get used to using it. Felt like I had to rewire my brain to make sense of the buttons being there. Now I'm used to it and love it.

My thoughts exactly. Really enjoying this attachment now that I'm used to it. I also remember my middle finger cramping up due to the modified ergonomics. Thought I was going to have to return it for that alone. Luckily, it hasn't been an issue since the first few hours of using it.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
man I had a chance to buy it from PlayStation's Online store on Sunday, in the cart....1 day free delivery... got complacent... then sold out Monday.

feelsbadman.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
well that sucks. nevermind then

I have the same problem with most FPS games that have melee mapped to R3. Go into settings and change to button puncher. Takes a while to get used to punching with Circle and sliding with R3, but now it won't interrupt your shooting you will just crouch lol.