• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FireBeaver

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go for the low hanging fruit first of all and just say that the Sans is Ness theory is bad. Usually Game Theory's stuff is rather inoffensive but this theory just didn't make any sense, and was even explicitly denied by Toby Fox himself. Only the most tenuous of connections and speculation allow this theory to even exist.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"_____ was dead all along."

Any character, any time, always stupid and lazy.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The record gets broken on a weekly basis now that we have a whole cottage industry of monetized far fetched theory videos on youtube.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
If we are talking outright stupid, you can probably find a good handful of "HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!" posts and throw them in here. People really do want to see that game in spite of Valve no dropping any hints that they are actually working on it...

Oct 27, 2017
To this day the whole Reaper indoctrination interpretation of Mass Effect 3's ending to try and legitimise it still gives me pangs of actual anger.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not referring to a specific game, but I've seen the "main character passes out after a serious injury, therefore the rest of the game is just a death-dream" theory applied to so many games that every time it comes up I can't help but roll my eyes.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGS V head transplant doctor theory.
People believed a irl transplant doctor was involved in marketing MGS V and that his likelyness was in the game as a doctor character (the bald one in the beginning).

That old place thread is quite the sensation it should be easy to find with a quick google search.

The proof people had was that he looked like the character in game and that he did the same hand gestures lol. And that the head transplant the real doctor was planning was related to MGSV....

Seriously it's the best thread ever at the old place if you can find it enjoy. Don't share it here tho it's against the rules.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Probably most of the MGS5 conspiracy theories, if we don't go into the dumb "my uncle works at Nintendo"-tier rumors.
edit: actually, artificial scarcity as said above is the dumbest by far.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to close up the plot holes of FFVIII last leg and ending created some "interesting" fan theories.

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
MGS V head transplant doctor theory.
People believed a irl transplant doctor was involved in marketing MGS V and that his likelyness was in the game as a doctor character.

That old place thread is quite the sensation it should be easy to find with a quick google search.
Didn't people start fucking calling that dude or something creepy like that? And didn't the doctor threaten to sue Konami? Did anything come of that?

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
99.9% of every Pokétuber fan theory video.

"_____ was dead all along."

Any character, any time, always stupid and lazy.

The worse one I saw was the Game Theory of is "Link Majora's Mask dead?" when Twilight Princess and Hyrule Historia disprove that ages before the video was even released.

It's also why I avoid that channel.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That Death Stranding is secretly Metal Gear or something

Is this a thing? First time I've heard of it.

If we are talking outright stupid, you can probably find a good handful of "HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!" posts and throw them in here. People really do want to see that game in spite of Valve no dropping any hints that they are actually working on it...

If it was ever done seriously, it's become a meme by now anyway. :D

85% of Metal Gear fan theories.

To be fair 85% of Metal Gear's official story is intensely dumb too. :P

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for "main character is dead/coma", the most joyful, innocous and cheerful the franchise it is applied to is, the more i hate it.

My fave one that gets better with each new iteration is "Pokemon RGB is set after a huge world war that decimate a significant portion of the population" because the more absurd pokemon storylines get, the theory gets less stupid in context. I mean, the fucking villian from XY was a guy literally trying to commit genocide!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima leaving Konami was all an elaborate ruse.

Also, the main characters in EarthBound go back in time to abort the final boss when he(?)'s a fetus.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't people start fucking calling that dude or something creepy like that? And didn't the doctor threaten to sue Konami? Did anything come of that?
Yes i think some peeps even started seeking contact with him and his response was a firm no with intention to sue Konami indeed.

Later the real actor of that doctor in game was revealed and everyone was like oh...... And nothing really happened in the end. No sue.

Was quite the insane ride lol as i was a lurker back then.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
99.9% of every Pokétuber fan theory video.

The worse one I saw was the Game Theory of is "Link Majora's Mask dead?" when Twilight Princess and Hyrule Historia disprove that ages before the video was even released.

It's also why I avoid that channel.
BUT HEEEEEEEEY, THAT'S JUST A THEORY! A GA- lazy way to excuse himself by saying basically it's just a theory so even if he is wrong ''it's like just his opinion'', regardless if it spreads misinformation about the subject of the video.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, and the theory that clouds are recolored bushes in Super Mario Bros. Now that's just crazy.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A lot of theories related to Kojima games,

Quiet = Chico

Death Stranding = Silent Hills

Venom Snake =
random unnamed Medic (except this one actually turned out to be true AHA)

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metal-Gear-Solid-5-Canavero-Doctor.jpg.optimal.jpg

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
To this day the whole Reaper indoctrination interpretation of Mass Effect 3's ending to try and legitimise it still gives me pangs of actual anger.

That was the fandom trying to cope with the disappointment that was ME3. A lot of the disappointment was laid on the ending, but that game had weaknesses that extended far beyond the way it ended. I will admit that I thought that the theory was entertaining, but it really didn't have enough evidence to warrant any serious consideration.

Bioware, please just do some sort of time-travel shenanigans to fix what happened to Mass Effect.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yharnam is the broken archstone in Demon's Souls. It's not aggressively "dumb," but it's just an example of connecting two things that have no actual link other than "wouldn't this be cool?"

Oct 26, 2017
Dead Squall and all the rest of these theories are trying to explain plotholes by destroying the story of any potential meaning it might have. Yes, the dumb orphanage twist "makes sense" as random electrical impulses from Squall's brain as he dies, but now you have no story and no meaning to any of the 40 hour game, congratulations.