• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at LBP and Skyward Sword. Not sure how to feel about retroactively scoring 10s, but that is a solid list too. No idea what Drop7, Elite or Exile are tho.

dkeane

Oct 27, 2017
Those are all great games. I'm not a fan of lists but there's nothing on here that should cause pause.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Skyward Sword was freaking good, I expect you all to go play it again & enjoy it xD

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with them. I think they are to harsh in general but have a pretty good sense of what is quality.

LittleBigPlanet is the most overrated game ever made. How it has a 95 on Metacritic when Tropical Freeze, a much better platformer, only has an 83 is beyond me. Other than that, great list.

Keep in mind that LBP offers a ton of user created content and great tools to do so. It got the 10 more on growth potential than platforming chops.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Having Halo 3 on there shows an understanding of the game and its place in the industry that so few have.

Excellent list to be honest, they accurately reflect that Nintendo is by far the greatest publisher in this industry.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
There are too many games on the list is my personal feeling. If I had anything to say about the list, everything after TLOU wouldn't be on there. Not saying there aren't great games on the list past it, just nothing in my personal opinion that is "perfect"

Good on them retroactively going back and giving Dark Souls a 10 though.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
LBP is by far the worst game up there.

The best creation tools in the world can't obscure the fact that actual jumping mechanics are horrid.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
Really question why GTA 4 is on there, but each to their own i guess.

GTA 4's review scores will forever be proof that games media are just as susceptible, if not more so, to hype as the broader gaming community.

In retrospect it is kind of okay because Lost & the Damned + Ballad of Gay Tony are exceptional, but holy moly vanilla GTA4 is not a good game.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty good list. It has some omissions, but the inclusions are all fine except Skyward Sword. That one seems like a "hype of the moment" kinda thing.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
LBP was revolutionary for its time and a lot of really cool stuff was created in it. As for the rest of the stuff GTA4, Halo 3, Bayonetta, and Skyward Sword kinda stick out as being odd 10s.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Really question why GTA 4 is on there, but each to their own i guess.

GTA IV didn't age well. I'm not personally a fan of Rock Band, but I get it. Skyward Sword is a bit odd too! Other than that I agree.

GTA4 did a lot of thing right on the open world design and features , it featured a rich open world with plenty of events that was only outpaced by GTA5 later.. I think GTA4 is really a master class of game design even if some of their idea didn't age well , at the times they were mostly bold choices.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's a good list overall. Skyward Sword is one of the controversial picks but I know plenty of people who absolutely love it. Its missing Metroid Prime for me.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
They all seem like sane opinions to hold. Even the ones I disagree with don't seem nonsensical on the surface.

I never much liked Little Big Planet's controls, but it was definitely doing things that no console game was attempting to do all at once, back then. 4 player with super polished, if complex, level editor ....that's someone's 10/10, sure.

GTA 4 was the first time I actually saw a game do what people were, in my opinion, imagining GTA 3 did which is successfully combine the gameplay of multiple genres in an open world game. Shooting in GTA 4 felt like shooting in an action game that people would charge full price for and same went for the driving. Still a jack of all trades, but it wasn't passing every test with D+/C- grades anymore. 10/10...fair enough...

Skyward Sword's controls literally didn't work in my living room at the time. After I moved, it seemed to work well enough for my brother-in law...if the game functions correctly and remote doesn't need recalibraritng every couple of minutes...sure, might be a great game.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
No offense but it is hard for me to see direct sequels which are very similar to the previous iteration as "revolutionary," which is their definition of 10/10.

Like, I get it, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a near perfect platformer. But honestly none of the new features are really all that revolutionary compared to Galaxy 1. Likewise, the Orange Box is a great value. But how can putting a bunch of games which already exist together into one box itself be considered a revolution? That idea was already executed extremely well back on SNES with Super Mario All-Stars.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The list gets dodgy for me around 2008. Like the games that follow are all well and good, but it's tough for me to accept stuff like GTA4, LBP, Bayonetta and Skyward Sword as 10's.

ronin_cse

Oct 30, 2017
Still don't get what makes BotW a 10/10 but whatever, also strongly disagree with Skyward Sword getting a 10 as IMO it's one of the worst Zelda games. Also Rock Band 3? Why?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
GTA 4
Skyward Sword
Little Big Planet
Rockband 3
Bayonetta 1 and 2

Shouldn't be 10s

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'd only give a 10 to Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Most of them are 8's at best, and some are 6's like Skyward Sword.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that there isn't a single 10/10 between 1988 and 1996. I'm surprised there wasn't a game released in the years between that they would want to revisit and retroactively award top marks to. Monkey Island and Lemmings should definitely be there.

Aside from that, it's a good list. Edge are usually pretty on point.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
No offense but it is hard for me to see direct sequels which are very similar to the previous iteration as "revolutionary," which is their definition of 10/10.

Like, I get it, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a near perfect platformer. But honestly none of the new features are really all that revolutionary compared to Galaxy 1. Likewise, the Orange Box is a great value. But how can putting a bunch of games which already exist together into one box itself be considered a revolution? That idea was already executed extremely well back on SNES with Super Mario All-Stars.
The Orange Box wasn't a bunch of games that already existed. It was the very first release for Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. You could make solid arguments for 10s for any one of those, let alone all of them on one disc.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Lack of Soul Calibur 1 and Witcher 3 hurts considering gta4 and rockband3 are there with 10s.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
No way in hell Skyward Sword is a 10, not even in Famitsu terms, let alone in EDGE terms
I can't even make an imaginary argument trying to justify it

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
Little Big Planet and Skyward Sword on that list are big ones that stick out to me as "Oh okay."

Rock Band 3 too but, I know little of that series. I remember people loving Rock Band 2 more so idk.

I agree with Advance Wars of course though :v.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really argue with it.

Bayonetta though? Good games but.... 10/10 good?

Arguably the greatest character action games ever made, depending on who you ask, so yes definitely 10/10/

Of the ones I've played, the ones I most strongly disagree with are Skyward Sword and GTAIV. Those games were like...6/10 for me tops.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts are: it is a list with a bunch of games a known publication praised and rated with maximum score.

I don't work there so disagreeing or not is pointless, just like arbitrary scores, or this comment. :v

Inb4 "it sparkles discussion", nah, it sparkles endless arguments based on a entirely subjective opinion where the only conclusion is "I like 'X' game better than your 'Y'". We fall back to zero and loop around.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
LBP is the only thing that really has me not agreeing. I think the original LBP is like a 7.5 or 8 at best.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Halo: CE should be on the list over Halo 3. Halo 3 has no business being on there.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I only agree with The Last of Us and Bayonetta 1 and MAYBE Galaxy 2

Bloodborne and Bayo 2 are 9/10 games

Everything else is 8 and below for me.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I came here to see if Bloodborne & The Last of Us made the list.

I'm leaving extremely satisfied.

Hot Take: GTAIV is absolutely undeserving of the 10.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the list other than Skyward Sword and The Last of Us. I just didn't enjoy either of those games but I can see why some people did like them.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
The Orange Box (2007)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
ResidentEvil 4 (2005)
Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Dark Souls (2011)

Wouldn't necessarily give all these 10/10 but I can understand the argument. Also Bloodborne is their most deserving 'perfect' score.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little Big Planet and Skyward Sword are the only ones I disagree with, not bad games, but not anywhere near 10/10 status like the others.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I'd give Skyward Sword a 10/10 if it had managed to prove the concept of motion controls implemented in a major hardcore game, which is the only reason why I could imagine the game could be considered "revolutionary" and get a 10

but Red Steel 2 pisses from high above all over SS in that department, RS2 is a MAJOR revelation in motion controls whereas in SS it ranges from serviceable/ok to clunky.

so for me a 9/10 would have been the right score for it.