• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
EDGE magazine is known for it's tough reviews, as they typically put the entire scale to use. For instance, a game could get a 6 and is still considered above average.

Thus, it's well known that a 10/10 score is very rare from them. Since 1996, they've only given around 20 10s. It's worth it to note, however, that EDGE doesn't consider a 10/10 perfect, instead, the word they use is revolutionary.

Here is the list:

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Aditionally, these games were rescored retroactively and received a 10:

Elite (1984)
Exile (1988)
Super Mario Bros. (1985)
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Advance Wars (2001)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Drop7 (2009)
Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Super Street Fighter IV (2010)
Dark Souls (2011)

Overall, it looks pretty respectable to me, even the games I haven't played I can tell are generally revered. The only two that kind of puzzle me are GTAIV and LOZ:SS. Also, the lack of Metroid Prime is sad :/

So, what are your thoughts on the fabled EDGE 10s?

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
GTA IV didn't age well. I'm not personally a fan of Rock Band, but I get it. Skyward Sword is a bit odd too! Other than that I agree.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword is ludicrous and definitely their 10 that will age the worst. I wonder if people will cool off on Odyssey a little too.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think some games deserves to be there while others do, but generally in line with what most of the other sites\magazines would think.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That they're Nintendo fanboys.
3045.jpg

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The only one that makes me raise an eyebrow is Skyward Sword. Even if you like the game I think most would agree it has a lot of flaws.

Everything else seems pretty solid and like you could make good arguments for being a 10.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it's fairly reasonable. There are a few on there that stick out to me and perhaps haven't stood the test of time, but most of the games on that list are classics.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I approve of pretty much all of them except for Skyward Sword, LBP and, personally, The Last of Us (though I'm well aware I am in a very very small minority on that one). It's a good list. I can think of some I would add, but the argument holds up for the vast majority of current recipients.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know that I consider all of those revolutionary. Odyssey, GTAIV, Bloodborne, Rock Band 3 etc dont really fit that mold.

But i mean any way you shake it thats a list of some of the best games ever made so its hard to be upset

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid list. Famitsu's perfect score list used to be good too, but in the last 10 years they just started giving em out like candy.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Similar to the Famitsu 40/40s, there are too many recent 10s (recent as in, last decade or so). Some of them seem excessive to me - for instance, Skyward Sword is my third-favorite Zelda, but I think there are enough blatant problems with it to preclude it from being considered for a perfect score.

EDIT: Personally I think the "rescored 10s" list is actually more consistent than the 10s.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft should be on there instead of LittleBigPlanet, but for the most part it is a very respectable list and they are pretty consistent throughout.

Deleted member 14939

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grand Theft Auto IV was amazing.

Little Big Planet seems odd to me. I love the idea but it was never really fleshed out in the worlds people created.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
my thought is that super mario 64 is the worst mario platformer game and does not belong

also demon's souls (the GOAT) is way more deserving than dark souls

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
What did they give Rock Band 2? I remember somehow being relatively disappointed in RB3, even with the addition of keyboard and the pro drums.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
In that list, the games that doesn't deserve a 10 : Halo 3, GTA IV, Skyward Sword, Little Big Planet, Bayonetta and Rockband 3.

The other games, 10 !!!

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Overall I think it's a fantastic list of the best that gaming has had to offer since the publication started.

My personal questions on it are GTA IV, one of the most overhyped and underwhelming games the media tried to shove down on our throats, and Rock Band 3.

LittleBigPlanet had potential and promise but man those controls were so floaty.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Grand Theft Auto IV was amazing.

Little Big Planet seems odd to me. I love the idea but it was never really fleshed out in the worlds people created.
I haven't played it. But from here an other forums, I generally have gathered that it's looked at as a disappointment now. That's why I was surprised.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft should be on there instead of LittleBigPlanet, but for the most part it is a very respectable list and they are pretty consistent throughout.
I would go with this, and I don'y really care for either.

as for GTA IV... it has aged almost as bad if not worse than Skyward Sword (respectively), but at the time... it was pretty fucking nuts.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not give a 10 to any of those games except for Mario 64 probably.

I'm still offended by all the 10s GTA IV got coming off of the amazing san andreas and all of the things you could do in that game. The media was really up its own ass back then with all of the story/cinematic at the expense of gameplay stuff.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
LittleBigPlanet is the most overrated game ever made. How it has a 95 on Metacritic when Tropical Freeze, a much better platformer, only has an 83 is beyond me. Other than that, great list.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Try counting. 7 games are Nintendo. 7 are PlayStation related. 4 are Microsoft (rest are multi platform).

At least try looking and commenting with a substantive response.

Which leads me to say - great list. GTA IV and Littlebigplanet are the only ones that I'd question, but an argument could still be made to include them.
8 of 20 are published by Nintento, thats all it needs to be said honestly.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It goes hard off the rails from 2008-2011 but before and after that it's pretty great.

LittleBigPlanet is by far the biggest outsider on that list though. That's an influential game, but never a GOOD one. It had bad core mechanics, and that's why it never really took off. It was more fun making a level than it was playing one.

I also think GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption and Skyward Sword don't belong there either, and I played and enjoyed all of those games. I even loved Skyward Sword but it doesn't belong on that list.

Also, Mario Odyssey is never a 10/10. It's not even a top-3 Switch game released last year. (BotW, Splatoon 2, Rabbids)

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Skyward sword deserves it IMHO, it seems I'm one of the only few who absolutely loved it. GTA and TLOU on the other hand......

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I think that Half-Life 2, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and Littlebigplanet are overrated but it's a pretty good list otherwise. GTA IV is also questionable.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Don't understand why Bayonetta got a 10. It was an alright used $7 game for me. But since the 2nd one is also there, I'd just say that the reviewer really loves Bayonetta

I'll never understand why ppl like Tlou so much

Bloodborne is a 20/10 though

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Try counting. 7 games are Nintendo. 7 are PlayStation related. 4 are Microsoft (rest are multi platform).

At least try looking and commenting with a substantive response.

Which leads me to say - great list. GTA IV and Littlebigplanet are the only ones that I'd question, but an argument could still be made to include them.
I don't think he's serious. He's just making fun of what some people think of Edge.
LittleBigPlanet is the most overrated game ever made. How it has a 95 on Metacritic when Tropical Freeze, a much better platformer, only has an 83 is beyond me. Other than that, great list.
LBP strength and why it has 95 isn't its platforming tho. It's how you can create different level which Tropical Freeze doesn't have.

Oct 25, 2017
I only disagree with these

Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)

Pretty good list overall