• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
"4.02GB"

I'm on the Xbox One X and its only 1.5GB.. with no other option to download anything else.

It was 4.02GB for me. Europe version. Maybe it has extra voice and movie files.

GmhzZnE.jpg

Last edited:

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
HUZZAH. I am now level 2. \o/

Also, thanks again, Hecht. Managed to get, not only the Glass Jinkblade, but also the Demon Katana and the Lord's Mail by killing some dude down there. Pretty neato.

EDIT: Hrm. How do you ping someone? I have no idea.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
HUZZAH. I am now level 2. \o/

Also, thanks again, Hecht. Managed to get, not only the Glass Jinkblade, but also the Demon Katana and the Lord's Mail by killing some dude down there. Pretty neato.

EDIT: Hrm. How do you ping someone? I have no idea.
Add an @ before their name.

But no worries. Have fun!

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gotta say, hats off to everyone involved with the BC stuff. This is a remarkable BC title, 60FPS, 4K... man this is pure bliss.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Still not sure whether to jump in, I still have the disc. Big fan of the series here. The game feels and looks much older than Conker and Panzer Dragoon. Bethesda games vanilla never age so good (although Oblivion looks decent with Xbox One X Enhanced). I also know that combat can be clunky, right? Not sure I would enjoy that part. But then questing is supposed to be the best in the series, and this entry of TES is still supposed to carry what made old RPGs great once... Mod support would be incredible but won't happen, of course.

evilcar

Oct 25, 2017
East coast here, still can't find this game anywhere in the store (online or via X1X), any ideas? Tried to buy it via the link in the OP but says I don't have funds, which I clearly do.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Watching the videos in the OT really made me want to dive back into this game. I'm currently towards the end of my Skyrim run on the Switch version, and as much as I love that game and all the improvements that came to the formula between Morrowind and Skyrim, this game just had some magic which the later versions never quite recaptured for me personally. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles, but I feel Morrowind (and to a degree Oblivion) had far more unique areas and scenery along with just some weirdness (the giant transport bug things) that Skyrim seems to lack in its more grounded and snow/grey world.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing a massive graphic overhaul modded version of Morrowind last year on my PC. However, the PC version doesn't have native controller support so I had to use Pinnacle to emulate the mouse with the view stick. It's pretty crappy.

I might just buy this for the Xbox just for better controller support.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
I went back and played a bunch of this game last year. One thing I loved about it was the power ramp. At the beginning of the game you can't hit a rat on the side of the road. By the endgame you're crafting ridiculous enchantments that let you jump over entire cities. So satisfying. And because there's no level scaling they can make parts of the world actually feel dangerous, and put sweet unique loot in there for anyone willing to brave it. Hope folks trying it for the first time enjoy it.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So I played for about an hour earlier and man, you guys were not kidding about bad combat. I thought I was prepared but when my arrows randomly shoot nowhere near my crosshair I sit there wondering why I have a crosshair at all. Sometimes they angle down, sometimes left, there's no consistency. I definitely see how people love the game world though. The animations are hysterical too! Which they'd bumped up the draw distance a bit just for the sake of not having so much popping in and out on screen at once.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I played for about an hour earlier and man, you guys were not kidding about bad combat. I thought I was prepared but when my arrows randomly shoot nowhere near my crosshair I sit there wondering why I have a crosshair at all. Sometimes they angle down, sometimes left, there's no consistency. I definitely see how people love the game world though. The animations are hysterical too! Which they'd bumped up the draw distance a bit just for the sake of not having so much popping in and out on screen at once.
Think of the combat like early Mass Effect 1. The higher up the latter, the mode inconsequential it becomes.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California

It's not too bad if you consider that Morrowind is very much in the style of RPGs at the time where every action was a dice roll. It's just more noticeable in Morrowind because the game is in first person.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I went back and played a bunch of this game last year. One thing I loved about it was the power ramp. At the beginning of the game you can't hit a rat on the side of the road. By the endgame you're crafting ridiculous enchantments that let you jump over entire cities. So satisfying. And because there's no level scaling they can make parts of the world actually feel dangerous, and put sweet unique loot in there for anyone willing to brave it. Hope folks trying it for the first time enjoy it.
Hate to break it to you, Morrowind DOES have level scaling. It's just done sooo much better than Oblivion and Skyrim.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Leveled_Creatures_(Morrowind)

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's not too bad if you consider that Morrowind is very much in the style of RPGs at the time where every action was a dice roll. It's just more noticeable in Morrowind because the game is in first person.

Yep. It's kind of like first person free move turn based gaming.

I got annoyed with it even when it was out for a couple years but I just stopped thinking of it as an FPS (my first impression) and as a FP final fantasy with anninvisible ATB.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I'm jealous of everyone who is getting to play morrowind for the first time because of this. This game is an experience for sure.

I played it for an hour 15 years ago and gave up. Since then, I fell in love with the series after Oblivion and - to a lesser extent - Skyrim.

I am really curious as to how well this game holds up for relative newcomers - all these years later.

CONS:
* questionable combat mechanics (dice rolls for days!)
* seriously dated graphics
* walls and walls of text as 'dialogue'

PROS:
* an RPG that actually places an emphasis on story
* exploration and discovery provide an actual sense of adventure
* true player agency and character development

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
No game until now has made me consider buying a One X, but God damn. Morrowind in 4K without jumping through hoops sounds amazing......

I am so jealous of those of you getting to play this for the first time. Welcome to the best the Elder Scrolls has to offer

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Combat in the game is based on your characters ability. Its satisfying to watch your character grow from lowbie to god.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Counting down the hours until I get home from work.

Wasn't there a great sword hidden in the very first town you come to, on top of a closet or something? It's been long enough that I think this'll almost be like playing it for the first time again.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
What are these hoops you speak of on PC?

IIRC, the Steam version of the game is borked at fullscreen. You have to get the GOG version to fix that issue.

Beyond that, the only real way of getting this to run at higher resolutions without breaking shit is to utilize OpenMW. And if you want to use a controller, good fucking luck, because at high resolutions the UI scaling is beyond fucked in any version without mods, and you have to keep something like Xpadder or similar handy just to make sure shit relatively works.

Not having to do any of that to A) get controller support and, now, B) play the game at higher resolution/higher framerate than the OG hardware, just by buying a One S or One X, is pretty fuckin' incredible.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
IIRC, the Steam version of the game is borked at fullscreen. You have to get the GOG version to fix that issue.

Beyond that, the only real way of getting this to run at higher resolutions without breaking shit is to utilize OpenMW. And if you want to use a controller, good fucking luck, because at high resolutions the UI scaling is beyond fucked in any version without mods, and you have to keep something like Xpadder or similar handy just to make sure shit relatively works.

Not having to do any of that to A) get controller support and, now, B) play the game at higher resolution/higher framerate than the OG hardware, just by buying a One S or One X, is pretty fuckin' incredible.
What he said :P

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Against my better judgement I traded in my XB1 for a XB1X just for this and Red Dead in a slightly higher resolution (and Breakdown I suppose). I don't think I've played Morrowind without mods in like 12 or 13 years.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone having an issue purchasing this from the web page? It's tell ing me I have no valid payment options, and when I enter my card is says that payment option is already on record