• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Another few things I like to do at the beginning

Finish delivering the package to get a bit of chump change. Sell off loot/stolen goods in Balmora.
Silt Strider to Suran, buy broken glass dagger from outfitter. Repair and sell it to the Creeper in Caldera (strider to Balmoral and Mage's Guild Teleport is probably easiest route).

Steal the Sword of White Woe in one of the Balmoral watch towers. It is sitting on top of a closet, there is a guard near by. If you get caught you need to reload. The price of this sword is huge and the bounty is so high it automatically skips the arrest warrant and you get a kill on site warrant. There is no yield, only a few ways to get out of this so I don't recommend it sticking to it.

Chameleon ring is also a nice item to get early but it also trivialises the game a bit.

Dont wear ordinator armor in front of ordinators... They hold grudges.

stn

Oct 28, 2017

Finish delivering the package to get a bit of chump change. Sell off loot/stolen goods in Balmora.
Silt Strider to Suran, buy broken glass dagger from outfitter. Repair and sell it to the Creeper in Caldera (strider to Balmoral and Mage's Guild Teleport is probably easiest route).

Steal the Sword of White Woe in one of the Balmoral watch towers. It is sitting on top of a closet, there is a guard near by. If you get caught you need to reload. The price of this sword is huge and the bounty is so high it automatically skips the arrest warrant and you get a kill on site warrant. There is no yield, only a few ways to get out of this so I don't recommend it sticking to it.

Chameleon ring is also a nice item to get early but it also trivialises the game a bit.

I used to have a "startup checklist" for every character I made, much like yours. I would add that one should also visit Caldera and raid the Orc's crate. I believe you get a piece of Orcish armor which you can immediately sell to Creeper. From there, start pooling funds and training one weapon skill and your speechcraft. From there, taunt guards into attacking you, keep killing them and selling their armor. Use the money to level up. Boom. Best game ever.

Daeoc

Oct 27, 2017
MA
IIRC, the Steam version of the game is borked at fullscreen. You have to get the GOG version to fix that issue.

Beyond that, the only real way of getting this to run at higher resolutions without breaking shit is to utilize OpenMW.
Is there something wrong with MGE XE? First time playing and only two hours in but it looks great to me, though I'm only using it for 1080p, AA and AF.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Is there something wrong with MGE XE? First time playing and only two hours in but it looks great to me, though I'm only using it for 1080p, AA and AF.

Nothing wrong with it that I know of. Before I used OpenMW, MGE XE was how I got those higher resolutions.

Problem is, again, that this is just a workaround. You don't have to utilize any workarounds to play the game at a higher resolution, with great controller support, on an Xbox One.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The atmosphere of this game is still incredible even after all these years. Even though I've played through this game numerous times I can still wander around for hours exploring. It's a shame they can't add achievements to these though. I don't usually care about them, but I'd definitely go for all of them in this.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix

I always grab White Woe right off the bat as well. Pretty solid weapon for beginning the early levels.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's nostalgia goggles, but I feel Morrowind (and to a degree Oblivion) had far more unique areas and scenery along with just some weirdness (the giant transport bug things) that Skyrim seems to lack in its more grounded and snow/grey world.

That's not nostalgia goggles; that's truth. Morrowind had much more diversity of both scenery and culture than either Oblivion or Skyrim. And it was just weirder. Oblivion and Skyrim were both quite normalized and even homogenized in comparison.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Me and a friend use to stay at each other's houses for weeks and play this game side by side with two TVs and Xbox's. I remember having a house in bahomora that displayed all my helmets.I use to steal every lantern I could find to create lights up my stairs going up to the second story. The amount of freedom with the magic system has always been one of the greatest features. Anyone remember using spells to get training for 1 gold

Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Accidentally ran into the guy with the Lord's Mail and managed to take him out. Now I'm running around at level 5 with completely bonkers equipment. Static rewards are so much better than leveled gear for this type of game

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Does anyone remember who to talk to for stat restoration? My Willpower's affected, but the cast chance for the Restore Willpower spell is somehow zero.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Just a head's up, if you're going into this completely new, UESP is your friend.

Thanks! I remember in middle school, my younger brother (1 year) would always tell me about this game that his school friend had and how good it was. At that point we didn't have an Xbox so we never played, but fast forward to today when I finally bought it and will be jumping in for the first time. My brother and I gameshare so he's also psyched lol. We both love all elder scroll/fallout games.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Xb1X
1a390087-3770-4888-965f-af2b2707ddc3.PNG

b550e706-8957-4d5a-bce5-a4bd530dd8fd.PNG

3407e80d-0a5e-4af9-bfc4-0ac99babe6ec.PNG

176eeb48-74ba-4c92-8b2b-b781192d081a.PNG

4aaf9940-a507-4517-b2e9-f196ea1b5558.PNG

Thanks, looks great.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
IIRC, the Steam version of the game is borked at fullscreen. You have to get the GOG version to fix that issue.

Beyond that, the only real way of getting this to run at higher resolutions without breaking shit is to utilize OpenMW. And if you want to use a controller, good fucking luck, because at high resolutions the UI scaling is beyond fucked in any version without mods, and you have to keep something like Xpadder or similar handy just to make sure shit relatively works.

Not having to do any of that to A) get controller support and, now, B) play the game at higher resolution/higher framerate than the OG hardware, just by buying a One S or One X, is pretty fuckin' incredible.
Fair enough, just surprised you could get that excited over vanilla ass Morrowind because you don't have to download a couple of fixes.

Oct 29, 2017
Was looking to buy this last night but didn't find it, ultimately ended with me playing Oblivion. The game looks gorgeous one the One X when in dense wooded areas but really ugly when you're in open areas.

It's crazy to me that we can now play Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim on one home console 'upgraded' to keep visuals from looking horribly dated. Then I'd imagine the next Xbox will keep all these capabilities and it'll hopefully keep increasing.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
3rd best game of all time.

Buy/play this people.

Still dunno why PC version never got good controller support via mods....

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
Does anyone remember who to talk to for stat restoration? My Willpower's affected, but the cast chance for the Restore Willpower spell is somehow zero.

Try praying at a shrine, either in the Imperial Cult or at a Tribunal Temple. There are temples in most towns, and cult shrines in the various forts.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California

TL;DR, 60 FPS with drops to the low 50s in a few places on Xbox One X, and to the low 40s in the same areas on Xbox One S. However, the framerate is otherwise a stable 60, far and improved over the original Xbox version, which could barely maintain the same.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Will be happy to hear about everyone's experiences, be it a revisit or first go at Morrowind. Will be adding my own views, too.

Morrowind sure didn't age as well as other Xbox Originals, but there is so much substance to admire that I can accept this shortcoming. Combat will be harder to swallow.

Lucent

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I hated about this game was that there was no easy way to track missions. Everything was written in the exact order you did things in.

Got a mission from Bob in town 1.

Got a mission from Sue in town 1.

Got that thing for Bob.

Got a mission from Cat Lady in town 3.

Delivered thing to Bob.

Found thing for Cat Lady.

Got mission from Lizard Guy in town 5.

It was hard to follow when you started filling pages and had to go back and find the page that listed what you had to do for someone.

Other than that, the game was fun and the environments were so varied. Never got bored.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing I hated about this game was that there was no easy way to track missions. Everything was written in the exact order you did things in.

Got a mission from Bob in town 1.

Got a mission from Sue in town 1.

Got that thing for Bob.

Got a mission from Cat Lady in town 3.

Delivered thing to Bob.

Found thing for Cat Lady.

Got mission from Lizard Guy in town 5.

It was hard to follow when you started filling pages and had to go back and find the page that listed what you had to do for someone.

Other than that, the game was fun and the environments were so varied. Never got bored.

Is the journal not improved in the GOTY (this) version?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Is the journal not improved in the GOTY (this) version?

Doesn't seem so.

Gamespot review of the GOTY edition on Xbox.
Furthermore, one important aspect of the updated PC version of Morrowind unfortunately didn't make it into the Xbox version of Morrowind Game of the Year Edition: an organized journal. In the original release of the game, one consequence of being able to travel anywhere in a huge, open-ended world and to take on countless quests from countless non-player characters was that all those quests would be annotated in chronological order in a journal that, before long, would be the size of a novel. Trying to track down the name of the character or the destination of a quest, much less remember which quests you still had pending and which quests you'd already finished, could be a real headache. This problem was addressed in a patch for the PC version of Morrowind, which allowed you to browse your journal by quest and filter out completed quests. Apparently, though, some technical issues prevented this feature from being easily imported into this Xbox rerelease. Regardless of what could have been, though, the difficulty of keeping track of your quests is still a big problem in the Xbox version of Morrowind Game of the Year Edition.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I had forgotten how much I hated the journal back then. I'm actually writing them down in a notebook and seperating them from what city or area I got the quests in so I won't get confused.

It also took me 3 characters to get in the groove. Had to resort to my favorite race the Redguards to get there. They're usually the 1st character/race I create, but was going for a change of pace trying out the Bosmer and Altmer.

Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Vvardenfell sure is disease-ridden because I can't walk five steps out of town without hordes of blighted nix-hounds and cliffracers descending on me

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, it's kind of nice playing without mods. It has been easy to forget how much I liked the original game long before I started playing it on PC. I'm going to try a pure magic build, something I've never managed to do despite playing 200+ hours. So far it has been a lot easier since you don't have to worry about missing twenty swings in a row.

I had forgotten how much I hated the journal back then. I'm actually writing them down in a notebook and seperating them from what city or area I got the quests in so I won't get confused.

I'm doing the same thing, there is no way I would remember some of these quests if I had to rely on the ingame journal.

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the ES Franchise. So so so great being back in Morrowind as of last night. Why aren't games still this good?

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Game was so ahead of its time

Every playthrough I would always go through the process of creating my own town and getting vendors and people to move into the houses. Ahead of its time

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Any one ever find that ebony shortsword on Odai Plateau where the House Hlaalu stronghold is built? Remember stumbling onto this back in the day, you can get it super early, easy 5k from Creeper/10k from mudcrab merchant or use it if its the best you got. Also I always get the Boethia quest going as early as possible to get Goldbrand, my fave weapon.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are these OT thread titles always so creative? I want to be that creative :(

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Been having a blast being back in Morrowind again. I think not having the option to mod is what I needed to stop tinkering with the game and actually stick with a playthrough after all these years.

Has anyone tried to stream the game on Mixer? I was trying last night and it seemed like all the stream got was a black screen. Seemed to be a game-specific problem as it was showing Panzer Dragoon Orta immediately when I switched.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a before/after video. Original Xbox vs. 1X -- graphics, not framerate, that is. I'm sure someone will put one together eventually.

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017

It also took me 3 characters to get in the groove. Had to resort to my favorite race the Redguards to get there. They're usually the 1st character/race I create, but was going for a change of pace trying out the Bosmer and Altmer.

Female redguard born under the Lady used to be my go-to for a great start. Medium armor, big two-hander... hmmm you are making me want to reinstall the game!

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
What builds are y'all going for? I posted an image of my own build two pages ago, but no one responded. :(

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3KBVrreh.png

I've tried a few mage builds before, but always ended up switch to melee eventually. Hopefully this time I'll be able to stick to it. I couldn't resist giving myself a weapon as a major skill, but I held off on the armor (although maybe unarmored ends up overpowered, I can't remember if it was good or bad).

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
Redguard with the Lady starts you off with a boatload of Endurance, which is the only stat where it matters when you level it. The earlier you level Endurance, the more health you'll have. I always found that very handy.

As for build I usually do something like:

custom class (insert name here)
Endurance/strength

Major Skills
1. light or medium armor (heavy armor weighs so much that I'm leaving loot behind)
2. Melee weapon skill of choice ( I like blunt weapon or long blade)
3. Marksman
4. Speechcraft
5. Restoration (restore stamina, health and attributes is so handy)

Minor skill
6. Athletics
7. Enchant (train this up, to get more use out off all the enchanted items I'll acquire)
8. Alteration (water walking, water breathing, levitate, open lock... so many useful skills!)
9. Mysticism (travel skills and telekinesis)
10. Pick what suits the character. Armorer is handy for repairing my own gear. With restoration I don't need it as a class skill though. Sneak is great if I want to steal or assassinate, so is illusion. Acrobatics is great too; jump while walking and travel faster! Alchemy is good as well, lots of fun effects. Really, I pick what fits the character.

This is well-rounded character that should be able to handle most things and join most guilds. I sometimes swap marksman for destruction and Speechcraft for illusion, making the last skill conjuration for a battlemage. At that point I won't have a lot of magicka though with the Redguard/lady combo, and I'll change to a Breton or Altmer, or chose a mage orientated birth sign instead.

Edit:

I've tried a few mage builds before, but always ended up switch to melee eventually. Hopefully this time I'll be able to stick to it. I couldn't resist giving myself a weapon as a major skill, but I held off on the armor (although maybe unarmored ends up overpowered, I can't remember if it was good or bad).

I'm not sure if its the same with the xbox version, but on the PC unarmored was broken and would only work if you equipped one piece of armor. Else you had no effective armor rating at all.

Last edited:

Dad

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly does enemy respawning work? I was under the impression that enemies took three days to respawn if you don't dispose of corpses, but I just had a room repopulate as soon as I left and reentered. Does the Xbox version immediately despawn monster corpses to save on memory?

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how absurd the mage guild quest line is. Helping someone who is writing lengthy reports so they can get promoted to journeyman and two short fetch quests later beating her to it.

I'm not sure if its the same with the xbox version, but on the PC unarmored was broken and would only work if you equipped one piece of armor. Else you had no effective armor rating at all.
That sounds right, I thought I remembered something weird about the skill.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
YAS.

I finally got the Dark Brotherhood armor set. And all it took was getting beaten within an inch of my life.

Huzzah.

jPhwBFX.png

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I cannot wait to jump back in. Morrowind was my first real introduction to RPGs and I have some of my fondest gaming memories exploring the world.

It's also the only Elder Scrolls game, in my opinion, with good looking glass armour / weapons.