• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I've been thinking of getting this set up for a while now and I finally got started on it again after my previous efforts in 2018. I started at the beginning of August, and now, a month and 30GB's (36GB Installed) later I think I'm just about done. It's stable, or about as stable as Oblivion could be with 150 plugins, runs well outside of loading stutters and it looks gorgeous.

The guide I used:
www.nexusmods.com

Oblivion Comprehensive Modding Guide by Dispensation (OCMG)

This is a list of mods for Oblivion to get you started as well as how to mod the game. Intended for the new player modding for the first time and also those seeking mods to use.

Cyrodil ENB (Originally used Monkey, but it's far too dark in dungeons and no amount of tweaking could solve it)
www.nexusmods.com

Cyrodiil ENB

This ENB want to bring a new and natural feel to Cyrodill, as I think it must be. Bringing a fresh view to vanilla and not going too far. This Enb in my opinion remains and belongs to Cyrodill.

The Controller support comes from NorthernUI, an overhaul designed to mimic Skyrim, but the guide author does not use the whole thing. It's fully customizable, features proper button prompts for both Xbox and PS controllers, and generally looks nice and plays well with other mods.
www.nexusmods.com

NorthernUI

A comprehensive UI overhaul for Oblivion, in the style of Skyrim and SkyUI. This mod also patches native Xbox controller support into the game, and in fact that controller support can be used on its o

Oblivion828202214721.png

Oblivion828202220437.png

Oblivion828202220737.png

Oblivion828202221534.png

Oblivion828202220934.png

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Did the strafing ever get fixed?, I remember it was weird, maybe I'm wrong.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I tried modding Oblivion a few years ago and remember it being pretty nightmarish lol.

How long does this take to setup?
I haven't played it since…a really long time ago and don't think I've ever really done it modded to anyone degree. I've had that yearly Skyrim itch of late but this would be fun to check out.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The only issue with the controller support is that the hotbar wheel from the console version does not exist in the PC version of the game. So you need to go into the menu whenever you want to change gear/spells. Unless the mod added a skyrim-like favorites menu that I missed?

I still can't believe that Bethesda didn't add proper controller support to the original release. This was 2006, not 1999. They already did the work for the 360 release.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The only issue with the controller support is that the hotbar wheel from the console version does not exist in the PC version of the game. So you need to go into the menu whenever you want to change gear/spells. Unless the mod added a skyrim-like favorites menu that I missed?

I still can't believe that Bethesda didn't add proper controller support to the original release. This was 2006, not 1999. They already did the work for the 360 release.
That's the one thing I wish Northern had, it would save so much time given how many spells I use.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I tried modding Oblivion a few years ago and remember it being pretty nightmarish lol.

How long does this take to setup?
I haven't played it since…a really long time ago and don't think I've ever really done it modded to anyone degree. I've had that yearly Skyrim itch of late but this would be fun to check out.
If you're just wanting the controller support it's not too bad, you can do it without a mod manager. If you're wanting improvements past that, well, it's kinda annoying. You're basically forced to use a mod manager because of how the game seems to load stuff based on when the file was modified or something silly. I'd recommend Wyre Bash if you want a mod manager.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
If you're just wanting the controller support it's not too bad, you can do it without a mod manager. If you're wanting improvements past that, well, it's kinda annoying. You're basically forced to use a mod manager because of how the game seems to load stuff based on when the file was modified or something silly. I'd recommend Wyre Bash if you want a mod manager.
SkyBSA fixed the timestamp issue a while back, now it's just like Skyrim.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Man I LOVE this game. When I was first got the 360, I didn't have internet and I played this game non-stop till I got new internet and could play online.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

Ok thanks. Yeah I was messing with Wyre Bash and mods and it was a hot mess lol. I'll poke around and see what's involved but not sure I'll have the will to get thru it.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I keep forgetting it doesn't have proper controller support because I've just been using the same controller config from the early days of Steam input with no extra add-ons or anything. Can even replicate the radial hotbar with a radial menu.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I really wish Bethesda would do an awesome official overhaul like this. Those NPC examples look great. The depth of field, the extra textures and lighting. Damn... I'm going to have to play this again

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Zafir Just saw these a few minutes ago

Hotkeys for NorthernUI. I'm going to use the OBSE version.

www.nexusmods.com

NorthernUI Hotkeys (OBSE)

Adds controller hotkey functionality for NorthernUI, allowing you to assign usable items to shortcut buttons. Includes an ini file where you can rebind shortcuts and enable auto-casting for spells.
www.nexusmods.com

Northern UI Hotkeys

Miss the hotkeys with Northern UI? Try this!

Bonus: Controller Rumble Support Restored
www.nexusmods.com

NorthernUI Rumble

OBSE plugin which adds rumble support based on the Xbox 360 version of the game.

Edit: Hotkeys not compatible with Loot Menu, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff I think.

Last edited: