• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
So in today's The Elder Scrolls 25th anniversary celebration panel, the leads at Bethesda Game Studios / Zenimax Online sat down and discussed the past, present and (briefly) the future of The Elder Scrolls franchise. We got our first glimpse at some of the technology that we can expect from BGS's future projects (including Starfield), but more prominently The Elder Scrolls VI. So it seems that they're using a new photogrammetry technology to capture the scenery and make it look more authentic than it their past games, as you can see blow.

k0qblwls64p21.jpg

Obviously the environment is very reminiscent of Hammerfell, and coupled with the reveal trailer, I think we can put two and two together and pin-point the location of TES VI — either Hammerfell or Ilaic Bay (which is the region that combines both High Rock and Hammerfell). Since Ilaic Bay is home to one The Towers from Tamriel (The Direnni Tower), and said structures have been a key location on most past Elder Scrolls games, I think this is a given.

It is also cool to see that BGS will be adapting Quixel megascan technology to their engine, as you can see here, and they have a new renderer/lighting engine implementation from Enlighten Global Illumination middleware tools (which they are testing in Fallout 76 currently, actually). All in all, I'm just glad that BGS is turning around and improving their engine tech. We already knew they were modifying their physics and animation tools for Starfield, but all of this confirms pretty much an entire overhaul of the Creation Engine.

Also, really nice that they got around capturing (and immortalizing) Shirley Curry as an NPC in The Elder Scrolls VI.
screenshot_20190329-161134_youtube.jpg

I'm almost convinced that we won't see TES VI until 2024, releasing on the 30th anniversary of the series, with Starfield launching with the next-gen consoles on 2020.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm sad that we haven't gotten a proper ES game this gen but if they are improving on the tech for next-gen then it will all be worth it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the next TES location / theme what would be equivalent to real life or just fiction? Oblivion was like idyllic medieval Knights and magic land. Skyrim was like Vikings n shit

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
So the next TES location / theme what would be equivalent to real life or just fiction? Oblivion was like idyllic medieval Knights and magic land. Skyrim was like Vikings n shit
I'mma be mad as hell if we get another human-based land. Morrowind was the best setting exactly because it was so different. I wanna see the Black Marsh, Elseweyr, or Valenwood.

Summerset Isles is very likely though, considering how they've built up the Dominion as the true antagonists.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Both TES VI and Starfield are definitely releasing this gen
I'm not too sure with that since it seems we'll be getting next-gen consoles within the next 2 years, most likely in Fall 2020.
It might be cross-gen at that point so while technically this gen it would be a bit too late by that point.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I played a Redguard character in Oblivion and Skyrim, so I would be pleased with Hammefell as the location of the next game.

No way I'm buying a Bethesda game day one though LOL. Will pick it up a year later.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I wish this game wasn't at least five years out. It's crazy that Skyrim is going to be nearly 15 years old by the time its successor releases.

Zero percent chance of that. Starfield has already been announced as a next generation title and TES VI isn't coming out until well after. Here are Bethesda Game Studios's main releases:
Morrowind - 2002
Oblivion - 2006
Fallout 3 - 2008
Skyrim - 2011
Fallout 4 - 2015
Fallout 76 - 2018

I'm not sure why people are expecting them to release Starfield and TESVI within a year of each other when there's no precedent for that happening.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If it's in Iliac Bay then High Rock is going to be medieval europe and Hammerfell is going to be medieval arab.

Bethesda have really gotta get more creative than just 'fantasy Europe', 'fantasy Scandinavia', and 'fantasy Arabia.' Morrowind was an endlessly fascinating place because while it drew influences from the real world, you couldn't pinpoint it to any one analogue and it felt suitably alien as a result. The weird and creative creatures they went above and beyond generic Tolkien helped too.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

The only way I agree with you is if you mean this "generation" of humanity. Like maybe before people born in 2019 are old enough to have children. I'd say there is maybe a 1% chance a scaled down version of either game releases on XB1X...but Bethesda has never really ported backwards, so that's very unlikely.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Motherfucking concept of time, yo.

TES6 my most hyped game of all time. Skyrim went from being played in my PS3, to my gaming laptob, to my gaming desktop to my Slim PS4 and now curently installed in my PS4 Pro. Can not wait for this lol.

Awesome to know and have confirmation that is being fully worked on at the moment.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Color me surprised about the tech.

Since it's about Hammerfell, make the "theme" focus on the Redguards, and then use the sword-singer lore to showcase a total overhall of the combat system. I'd buy that shit so fast.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's awesome that they invited her over and most of all, put her in the game. I'm sure when she play the game she's going to say that her NPC is her twin or something hah.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Gorgeous rock! Definitely hoping for an Oblivion-tier jawdropping reveal. Also really excited for the character creator, which was arguably the best part about FO4.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
but all of this confirms pretty much an entire overhaul of the Creation Engine.
This doesn't. They just added Quixel, and another new lighting system which replaces the one from FO4. I don't like the sounds of this, as it seems like they don't have much work even done for it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
God bless Shirley. It was fascinating watching her grow as she played. Definitely companion material for the next game.

And it's good to hear about the new tech. The face actually looks human and not like melted wax.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I can see why they went with Hammerfell. With the increase in polygons allowed by next-gen systems the curved. swords. will be able to be the curviest they can possibly be!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Neither are going to be at E3. Unless you're positing that both games will cross-gen titles, I doubt this.
Again, why are we taking TODD HOWARD, the sweet little lies guy, at face value? His studio hasn't released anything since Fallout 4, 4 years ago. You really think they'd announce Starfield if they didn't plan on releasing it next year max?