• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend sent me this. It's from 2013, but I had never read it before.

I, We, Waluigi: a Post-Modern analysis of Waluigi by Franck Ribery

Waluigi is the ultimate example of the individual shaped by the signifier. Waluigi is a man seen only in mirror images; lost in a hall of mirrors he is a reflection of a reflection of a reflection. You start with Mario – the wholesome all Italian plumbing superman, you reflect him to create Luigi – the same thing but slightly less. You invert Mario to create Wario – Mario turned septic and libertarian – then you reflect the inversion in the reflection: you create a being who can only exist in reference to others. Waluigi is the true nowhere man, without the other characters he reflects, inverts and parodies he has no reason to exist. Waluigi's identity only comes from what and who he isn't – without a wider frame of reference he is nothing. He is not his own man. In a world where our identities are shaped by our warped relationships to brands and commerce we are all Waluigi.

waluigi-pointing.jpg

There's more at the link, but it's quite short, so I'm not pasting everything here.

Paging Dan Ryckert

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Waluigi desperately needs his own game. Nintendo please. He is easily the most interesting character in Nintendo's lineup.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Thanks :) I've always thought a game starring Waluigi is a no brainer but it still hasn't happened :/ I mean if Wario can get his own game why shouldn't Waluigi!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's so funny because all of this resulted from wario not having a partner in Mario tennis

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Lol the structure of this is giving me flashbacks to my film studies courses, just with each section being way longer.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Nintendo probably hates him because Camelot created him instead. It's one thing to make new enemies or villains for an RPG or spinoff, but a new inverted Mario Bro? A Wario Bro, if you will. Blasphemy.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I want Waluigi's description in the next game he's in to be "A reflection of a reflection".

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
Waluigi was at his best in Mario Party 3.

Remember when Waluigi kicked the crap out of Bowser in front of Baby Bowser and then forced you to go to his private island that's rigged with explosives?

Last edited:

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
"waluigi should get his own game"

Nobody at Nintendo gives a shit about Waluigi. Not even the WarioWare team. Hell he wasn't even top priority in the rushed MK7.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least give Waluigi some expansion pack DLC thingy for Odyssey in his name. Fuckin' Toad got one of those.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Welp thanks for all the replies - so basically he is in sports games mostly? not playable in any action/adventure/platform games? I've got the tennis game on GBA but have not played it so I check that out