• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Currently 75% through the game.

334 tumors and I've beaten 2 carts.

These carts are no joke.

10 hours spent so far with 3200+ deaths.

Did I mention this is a damn good game?

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Currently 75% through the game.

334 tumors and I've beaten 2 carts.

These carts are no joke.

10 hours spent so far with 3200+ deaths.

Did I mention this is a damn good game?

Very nice! Hit a wall in The Future and taking a minor brake. There is one level that I can't seem to get for some reason.

Fantastic though (think I am 50% done)

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Yo, I unlocked
The Future
a few days ago.

I'm really confused about it...
when I die my tumors go away :( what's up, am I supposed to go back and collect them again? What when I run out of them? Shit is scary man!!

Love the game <3 Edmund is great.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Picked this up 3 days ago from the eshop. I'm in World 4 already and the SMB vibes are STRONG. The game and level design is on point, secrets are VERY well hidden and placed, the whole thing is super engaging and is all i wanted from a SMB sequel (having in consideration I consider this a SMB direct spiritual succesor)

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Yo, I unlocked
The Future
a few days ago.

when I die my tumors go away :( what's up, am I supposed to go back and collect them again? What when I run out of them? Shit is scary man!!

Well, in the future...

For what I can get you need a minimum of tumors to get in, but the level is static, it's just really hard to grasp. On the Future I though the same as you but then I realized there's a little claw in the right wall for me to continue the level. easily challenging. I love it.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
At first I was puzzled by your reply but now I understand what you're talking about XD it's a different thing I'm asking about, thanks anyway for your reply.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, I unlocked
The Future
a few days ago.

You've probably figured this out by now but...

you get the tumors back when you reach the beginning of a world, either by finishing the previous one, warping, or getting a game over.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
You've probably figured this out by now but...

you get the tumors back when you reach the beginning of a world, either by finishing the previous one, warping, or getting a game over.

Actually I had no chance to play the game these days so that's very useful. Thanks! :)

Oct 27, 2017
I love The Binding Of Isaac (got the Afterbirth+ version on switch) so I'm down for anything from EM.

Boooy this game is good. I already have Super Meat Boy on PC and PS4 and never really played it that much but there's something in TEIN that is really compelling. I restarted one level 40 times JUST to get that tumor.

It's addictive and Switch is perfect for it.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I finished the main game with a good amount of tumors and loved it. The future is sooo hard though, don't think I'll have the patience to finish it. Very good game nevertheless.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
I need to hop back into this one, bought it for christmas, and got to the second or third world and dropped it. don't really know why cause i really enjoyed it, and from the sounds of it i have a lot to look forward too!

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Yo, I unlocked
The Future
a few days ago.

Now I understand this. But I think you know whta happens by now.

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
Yep Guipradi I hate to be negative because it's a great game but that thing about the "endgame" pretty much killed the endgame for me. :/

I really don't wanna worry about how much I die in these "maso" platformers. I like to try cool tricks because it doesn't matter if I waste 30 minutes doing so, I don't wanna play it safe and being low on tumors makes me uncomfortable XD I loved the base game and I'd recommend it, but I'm not going after the 100% like I did with SMB back in the day.

Jan 11, 2018
Been playing this a lot, I'm at 87% with over 6k deaths in 17 hours haha. I've found about 75% of the cartridges and all I gotta say is damnnnnnn they are hard. That feeling when you beat one is like nothing else though. The game is every bit as good as SMB.

Nov 8, 2017
Recently finished this (sorta, check spoilers below), super surprised at the total lack of chatter about it. I know Super Meat Boy was a huge commercial hit...but the number of steam reviews for SMB is like 17x what The End is Nigh has on Steam.

Even the subreddit is super slow (and, well, obviously this thread).

I know, I know, it released on July 12, 2017...so it's nearlyish two years old.

ANYWAY

This one took me a little while to get into...then it sort of clicked. I got through all the worlds...then...

BOOM, now my collectibles are lives for a totally new set of worlds. Woah, dude. While cool in premise, my gaming time is kind of limited and I ended up with 71 tumors. Not ideal.

I'm not sure I have the time/patience to go back and collect tumors aka lives for the rest of the game. Part of the fun of these types of platformers is the sheer joy at tossing yourself at a level over, and over, and over...and if I'm concerned if I'm dying too much, that's not for me.

Kudos for the cool idea, Edmund.

So, at the end of the day, I'm glad I played it. It's a meticulously well-polished game that fits right in with others of the genre. I wasn't a huge fan of the concept behind the soundtrack, nor music itself, but maybe it's just me.

Looking forward to having chatter pick up after its PS4 release.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Guys well i get the full experience if i skipped the future?

Didn't played it yet but i don't like collecting at all.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize this was out now on PS4. Gonna pick it up today. Anybody else playing it on PS4?

Mod support for Steam version
OP
OP
ned_ballad

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The End is Nigh now has workshop support on Steam
Greetings TEIN fans! 2 years ago Ed and I released this game upon the world and while it ended up being a fairly niche game, the people who played it loved it and it's had a small but dedicated community of speedrunners and modders that have been active ever since. The stuff people have made has been very creative and it even surprises me at some of the things people have been able to do with the game.

Anyway I had TEIN's code project open to prep the epic store version of the game a few months ago, and figured, while I'm in there, why not add a bunch of features modders had been wanting for a while, so that's what this update is about. More customizability, easier modding, and WORKSHOP SUPPORT to make it ultra easy to play the stuff other people have created!

CHANGELOG

General
  • Initial load time improved (new audio backend = zero load time for sound effects now)
  • Level load times have been drastically improved
  • A few blackscreen bugs & memory leaks have been fixed
  • You can now disable achievements manually via settings.txt if you want to

Modding
  • You can enable the debug console via settings.txt now. Enabling the debug console will disable achievements and adds a large amount of time + deaths to any save files you load while the debug console is enabled (regardless of whether you open the console or not).
  • Mods can now specify multiple SWFs for the game's graphics, so you can override individual graphics much easier now (only need to provide the changed graphic, not the entire swf)
  • The game now recognizes a "worldmap.txt" for people who want to customize the map screen of the game (check discord for an explanation of what everything in that does). This file contains customizable definitions for essentially every previously-hard coded value, so you can customize stuff like the number of lives carts use, the map select screen, life thresholds for Nevermore entry, etc.
  • Text based files can now be appended or merged into existing text based files, instead of just overwriting the original (You can add new tilesets without needing to copypaste all the tileset info from the base game!)
  • Tilesets can now specify physics definitions for the character/moving platforms (keys player_physics, water_physics, lowgrav_physics, platform_physics. Values are the path to the physics file, ex "data/playerphysics.txt"). Per-world custom physics!
  • Tilesets can now specify alternate sound effect sets (key sfx_file, value is the name of the sound effect set file within audio, ex "retrosounds.txt". Alternate sound effect files *must* have a unique "SetName" defined at the top)
  • Tilesets can now specify "do_wobble true" to get the SS Exodus drift effect, and "do_tilt true" to get the Nevermore tilt effect instead of relying on level names.