• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People say the 87 show was the main reason TMNT became so popular and it was but I'd argue the 1990 film was just as important in shaping TMNT into what it is today. It was actually more true to the original comics.

At the end of Turtles 2, Shredder takes the mutagen and becomes Super Shredder, only for him to immediately kill himself by making the pier collapse.

Now the guy survived getting crushed by a garbage compactor (Oops) as regular Shredder yet a couple of pieces of wood kill him as Super Shredder.

That's messed up man

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wanted Super Shredder to have a crazy martial arts brawl with the Turtles. Also kill Vanilla Ice.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Yeah it was dumb. Apparently guzzling down ooze in large quantities makes you a turbo idiot. Makes you wonder did they run out of budget and had to end that fight in that way? Why even have super shredder if he is literally just going to kill himself in the next shot following. Did the costume lack mobility so they couldn't do anything fancy? Who even knows?

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of Turtles 2, Shredder takes the mutagen and becomes Kevin Nash, only for him to immediately kill himself by making the pier collapse.

Fixed it for ya.

If you know kevin nash, there's no way he could be able to pull off any type of martial art.

9XKW3X3YjLA57IPhEvV2uhvkqd91JCraX-DJkBTP87w.png

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I think it might have to do with the fact there was a massive pissing match from concerned parents back in the day over the first one and the Turtles using weapons and too much violence. Name a scene where they use a proper weapon and not a novelty one. Tah dah. Basically they could have made it more violent like the first, but they had to tone it down, so Shredder kicks his own ass with an "accident". I remember there was also an uproar that they used "Damn" in the first film also.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
even as a 9 year old i thought the movie was cheap AF in contrast to the first

that said i dragged my parents/friends' parents to take me to see it like 100 times

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid I rewatched the second one more than the first, but when you think about it, the Turtles themselves barely put a scratch on Shredder in any of the original movies, let alone beat him. The best they did was blow up an amp on him in 2.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe his little heart popped from all the super-shreddin stress?

I just rewatched the scene. Love how the turtles all emerge from the water--perfectly dry and pretending to be soaked.
Also, how does the ooze mutate Shredder's bladed armor bits?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the mutagen had a secret fail safe built into it. A weakness. Developed by Alan Scott.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah I think we got up and left not much longer after he brought a club down on himself.

Remember how the toys from the movies looked like they were covered in turtle lesions?
Playmates_Movie_Figures37__scaled_600.jpg

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Did people even go see the third one?
I didn't. A friend convinced me to watch it on vhs on a 12 inch TV and I hated it. I watched it when I was going into highschool and I hated it less. I didn't want old Japan I wanted (and would love to see a return of) those crime filled 80's NY streets.

I was drifting out of my turtles phase by then.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I think it might have to do with the fact there was a massive pissing match from concerned parents back in the day over the first one and the Turtles using weapons and too much violence. Name a scene where they use a proper weapon and not a novelty one. Tah dah. Basically they could have made it more violent like the first, but they had to tone it down, so Shredder kicks his own ass with an "accident". I remember there was also an uproar that they used "Damn" in the first film also.

Yup likely this is the answer. People were non sensically freaking out about the weapons so they toned it all down. Still a great movie but you can definitely feel the change pretty strongly.

Interesting tidbit I've read before that at one time or another the Professor guy who was forced to make Tokka and Razor was perhaps going to be an Utrom? Would have been cool. Would have loved to see the Henson puppet work on an Utrom or Krang and have gotten real wild. It feels weird to look back on the peak of turtle mania and wished we'd have gotten even more when it was an absolute embarrassment of riches.

Edit: Also the 3rd Movie rocked, everyone is wrong about, super fun movie and I loved it and it has some of the best most beautiful Casey Jones character work ever. Fight me.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The second film is still my favourite, even if the first one is the best quality wise.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The 1990 version got shit on by parents and the actress playing April for being more gritty and violent so much that it neutered the rest of the original trilogy. As bad as Secret of the Ooze was, it might as well be The Godfather compared to TMNT 3.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Even, or perhaps especially as a kid, that felt stupid. Both because it's real dumb to collapse a pier on top of yourself, and because it seemed to key up to a cool final fight that it then deprived you of.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The 1990 version got shit on by parents and the actress playing April for being more gritty and violent so much that it neutered the rest of the original trilogy. As bad as Secret of the Ooze was, it might as well be The Godfather compared to TMNT 3.
Looking back, I don't get how those complaints ever worked. I can see it after Batman Returns, where being dark did hurt the numbers of the movie, but toning things down after the first TMNT movie was a success is just weird, and obviously just led to lower box office.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't die. The 2007 TMNT film is technically the fourth film, and Karai says the Shredder lives.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah TMNT 2 was disappointing even to a 9 year old like me. I was totally hyped up leaving the theater (like every movie at that age) but I distinctly remember the few days after thinking about the missed opportunities.

Where the fuck was Bebop and Rocksteady? The trailers teased the shit out of them only to be those other two chumps. All the kids at school were amped up thinking it was Bebop and Rocksteady but nope.

Super Shredder was such an awesome and extreme design! Dude looked badass! Then he just dies out of stupidity?

Then they make a third movie with no Krang.

What were they thinking?!

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I vividly remember seeing this opening weekend and being so freakin excited. I also felt like an adult because we went to a night show which was not normally what we did. My 9 year old self thought the movie was hilarious and I loved how goofy it was.

Boomer parents really don't like violence in…. Anything really

I remember there being at least two types of boomer parents in the 80s/90s. One who would extremely shelter their kids and wouldn't let them even watch the Simpsons because "it taught their kids to be disrespectful" (I remember that being a giant WTF when hearing that from other kids), and the other who didn't give any fucks and let their elementary school aged kids watch Robocop, Terminator, Predator, etc in all their R rated glory endlessly.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I vividly remember seeing this opening weekend and being so freakin excited. I also felt like an adult because we went to a night show which was not normally what we did. My 9 year old self thought the movie was hilarious and I loved how goofy it was.

I remember there being at least two types of boomer parents in the 80s/90s. One who would extremely shelter their kids and wouldn't let them even watch the Simpsons because "it taught their kids to be disrespectful" (I remember that being a giant WTF when hearing that from other kids), and the other who didn't give any fucks and let their elementary school aged kids watch Robocop, Terminator, Predator, etc in all their R rated glory endlessly.

That's not really got anything to do with boomers, that's just parents in general lol

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
TMNT2 is almost as bad as 3. 1 was too good for a 1990 cartoon adaption and i don't think people really started to appreciate it until recently, the only flaw is Shredder's death is a bit silly and they never released a longer cut of the film with some of the violent deleted scenes.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
TMNT2 is almost as bad as 3. 1 was too good for a 1990 cartoon adaption and i don't think people really started to appreciate it until recently, the only flaw is Shredder's death is a bit silly and they never released a longer cut of the film with some of the violent deleted scenes.
Actually it was a comic book adaptation

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think we got up and left not much longer after he brought a club down on himself.

Remember how the toys from the movies looked like they were covered in turtle lesions?
Playmates_Movie_Figures37__scaled_600.jpg
Why did so many iterations of the turtles have these stupid spots? I never wanted to own any toys or watch any shows where they looked like that.

Oct 30, 2017

I knew a kid like that regarding Simpsons. Guess what? He ended up smoking and drinking in high school (latter like any typical popular kid).

Nov 4, 2017
+1 for having seen TMNT3 in cinema. I remember somebody teleporting onto a horse backwards I think?

My biggest disappointment with the movies was how clunky and awkward the turtles' movement was. Even as a small kid, I just didn't buy that they could be effective as ninjas. Not having them fight a giant Shredder is probably a blessing.