• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.
So we were playing as delusional yandere ex-girlfriends (if even that, stalkers)?
And these two crazy lunatics (Hasebe and Mami) are actual current love interests for Kunio and Riki?

medium_EDhzMSZUEAISVSo.jpg

Is this some in series joke that I am missing?
My mind is full of fuck, I did not expect such a TWEEST from a beat'em up.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you found and destroyed all 25 statues? If not, do it and go back to the final boss arena.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
It is an in-series joke. Misako and Kyoko were only Kunio and Riki's girlfriends in one game (Kunio-tachi no Banka for Super Famicom). Mami has been Riki's girlfriend in several other games (localized as Cyndi) and while they've never been in a relationship in other games to my knowledge, Hasebe has a crush on Kunio. She was "Roxy" in River City Ransom, where she was Yamada/Slick's girlfriend.

When Wayforward pitched the game to Arc System Works, they planned on using Misako and Kyoko due to their previous playable appearance, not realizing that they were only the main duo's girlfriends in that one game. I'm guessing this ending is a way to poke fun at themselves for that choice.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Someone told me the two you are playing are from a non canon JP exclusive game where they are the girlfriends. This is a reference to that, saying that in the real world they are stalkers. Or something like that

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah a bunch of folks were (rightly) complaining about how dumb this twist was in the female character designs OT

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Kunio is always single, did Hasebe date Kunio at some points?
I don't think they ever actually dated. I thought it was like a one-sided crush thing.
---
Like first and foremost it's a comedic game so I think they just did something they thought was funny AKA these two lovable dumbasses completely misinterpreting their relationship with the normal series mainstays and there are several hints about the upcoming twist that are rather blatant.

But it's just weird and unnecessary and kind of messes up what was otherwise a cool kinda reversal of a normal action story mainstay.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get what they are trying to do but honestly?

I wanted girls kicking ass and saving their boyfriends instead.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love the game, hate the ending. Especially since Hasabe and Mami are presented as nothing but completely terrible to the point we see them bullying Kyoko as children.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the twist was foreshadowed pretty heavily in that no one knew WTF they were talking about. I liked it though, though I'm fond of yanderes in fiction so I'm pretty biased I guess. I also know nothing about any of the other games so I don't know if this is character assassinating anyone, though I suspect it might be.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It is an in-series joke. Misako and Kyoko were only Kunio and Riki's girlfriends in one game (Kunio-tachi no Banka for Super Famicom). Mami has been Riki's girlfriend in several other games (localized as Cyndi) and while they've never been in a relationship in other games to my knowledge, Hasebe has a crush on Kunio. She was "Roxy" in River City Ransom, where she was Yamada/Slick's girlfriend.
Jesus this is some Dark Souls lore shit.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was pretty bummed that the game's big conceit is treated as a meta deconstruction joke when said conceit was actually a really damn novel selling point. Sure, making a joke based on the series' continuity is okay and all but jeopardizing the entire game on the back of it is an absolutely boneheaded thing to do when many people were looking forward to playing a beat 'em up with women protagonists doing the saving.

I read theories that the characters somehow entered an alternate universe or whatever, and the presentation doesn't take itself too seriously, but that still doesn't change the fact that Kunio and Riki come out looking like total assholes and Kyoko and Misako come out looking like deluded crazies, which, is that really the angle you want to take for this? It's not like the Kunio-Kun is some super popular series in the west, this game will likely be the first big introduction of it to many western players - so it feels kinda patronizing to lean heavily into the meta. It was a really poor game to shoehorn a deconstructionist plot into, and this is setting aside that I actually really like both the game and the characters.

Oct 25, 2017
Was pretty bummed that the game's big conceit is treated as a meta deconstruction joke when said conceit was actually a really damn novel selling point. Sure, making a joke based on the series' continuity is okay and all but jeopardizing the entire game on the back of it is an absolutely boneheaded thing to do when many people were looking forward to playing a beat 'em up with women protagonists doing the saving.

I read theories that the characters somehow entered an alternate universe or whatever, and the presentation doesn't take itself too seriously, but that still doesn't change the fact that Kunio and Riki come out looking like total assholes and Kyoko and Misako come out looking like deluded crazies, which, is that really the angle you want to take for this? It's not like the Kunio-Kun is some super popular series in the west, this game will likely be the first big introduction of it to many western players - so it feels kinda patronizing to lean heavily into the meta. It was a really poor game to shoehorn a deconstructionist plot into, and this is setting aside that I actually really like both the game and the characters.
That it really. I get what they were going for but it's just all so unnecessary and puts a weird damper on what's otherwise a very sweet, fun, almost Bill & Ted esque game (sweet probably isn't the right word but eh).

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play it so I can't say much, but don't you think it's normal for developers to pay respect to the series actual lore? Like, I get that Kunio-kun is not a big deal to most people in the west, but Kunio-kun is a long running and beloved franchise, so just makes sense to me that they wouldn't "run over" the original series.

But well again, I didn't play, maybe it could be done better. I just think it makes sense for them to not change the franchise's perception completely to people who may get into it because of this game.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play it so I can't say much, but don't you think it's normal for developers to pay respect to the series actual lore? Like, I get that Kunio-kun is not a big deal to most people in the west, but Kunio-kun is a long running and beloved franchise, so just makes sense to me that they wouldn't "run over" the original series.

But well again, I didn't play, maybe it could be done better. I just think it makes sense for them to not change the franchise's perception completely to people who may get into it because of this game.
Like other than the meta-ish twist joke that it all builds up to if you're taking in if you're trying to take into account other games into the series there's a bunch of stuff that's incongruous with prior entries.

Like I said earlier I think the writers just thought this particular joke would be really funny and kind of built a lot of the writing and character interactions in the game around it not predicting necessarily that people would cotton on to the main characters like they did and feel that strongly about it.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Okay with info provided here, this still sucks (I only played the NES River City Ransom).
I did some googling and this looks kinda badass (picture below), would have been cool if Kunio&Riki were saved half way through and you would all team up to take down the big baddie.
Otherwise, I feel just "LOL TROLLED" from this whole game.
383275-shin-nekketsu-koha-kunio-kun-kunio-tachi-no-banka-snes-manual.png

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I guess I don't have a problem with Kunio and Riki having "jerks" for girlfriends--they're all delinquents so I would expect them to all be jerks, Kunio and Riki included.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I think the game needed more than one ending and this should have been only an optional outcome.

If they did that, then I imagine this obscure continuity joke would be easier to accept instead of being so controversial.

It certainly doesn't ruin the whole game or anything, in my view, but doesn't land too well even as an actual attempt at comedy either.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Kunio-Kun lore is inconsistent. It's why WayForward made the confusion in regards to the protagonist in the first place.

For the record, fighting Hasebe & Mami is a novel idea for a bonus boss. I like the idea of that as an easter egg to the Kunio-Kun faithful. Like I said, having meta jokes isn't the problem. But the ending no matter what is still the same; Kunio and Riki brush them off as crazy people.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I really, really liked the premise of "kick ass and save your boyfriend" and WayForward blew it so goddamn hard.

I still love the game. The ending is pretty much my only complaint. But it was a completely unnecessary, nearly catastrophic fuck-up. Massive missed opportunity.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I guess I don't have a problem with Kunio and Riki having "jerks" for girlfriends--they're all delinquents so I would expect them to all be jerks, Kunio and Riki included.

When Wayforward pitched the game to Arc System Works, they planned on using Misako and Kyoko due to their previous playable appearance, not realizing that they were only the main duo's girlfriends in that one game. I'm guessing this ending is a way to poke fun at themselves for that choice.
Actually Kyoko and Misako were featured as main gfs In a second game really recently in Tokyo Rumble. Re Hasebe. They actually retcon her being Yamadas GF in Rival Showdown

Re: kunio and riki being jerks. Kunio treats his teacher in a delinquent disrespect kind of way pretty bad. Calling her babe and gorgeous, and asking her on dates in the middle of class haha.

Kunio-Kun lore is inconsistent. It's why WayForward made the confusion in regards to the protagonist in the first place.

For the record, fighting Hasebe & Mami is a novel idea for a bonus boss. I like the idea of that as an easter egg to the Kunio-Kun faithful. Like I said, having meta jokes isn't the problem. But the ending no matter what is still the same; Kunio and Riki brush them off as crazy people.

It's hinted thru out the game that the Girls were off with someone even saying "they ditched you again?"

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i kinda like the twist but it feels like i'm the only one

youre not the only one. i wont say i "loved" the twist, but i certainly didnt hate it, and i say that as someone who - while enjoying the Kunio-kun series in general - was primarily interested in this game because of the reversal of the common damsel in distress trope.

overall, i totally get that the ending can be read as problematic and that WayForward was probably (read: actually) a little tone-deaf in going for it just because it was a cute meta/franchise/lore reference, but it also kind of falls flat because... most people arent going to have any idea where its coming from. so the tonal whiplash at the end could be a little shocking and disappointing, for sure. at the same time, they did a reasonably good job at telegraphing what the scoop was throughout the whole game - no one knew that Kunio and Riki were even gone, who couldve kidnapped them and why, and Hasebe and Mami certainly werent super subtle their thoughts re: Misako and Kyoko saying they were the girlfriends.

anyway, i certainly dont think its a catastrophe or anything and got a pretty good laugh out of it when i finished the game (and some pretty nice catharsis during the secret boss fight).

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
That's novel. and amusing, lol.

I was confused reading about the game and noticing that all 4 girls were in this one.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It seems like it was an attempt at humor that fell flat on its face. Why betray your own appealing premise for a dumb joke? The world may never know. All it does is re-contextualize the game so that you're playing as 2 very unlikable violent crazy girls.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
The problem with the ending is that it requires way too much deep-cut lore knowledge to fully appreciate what they were going for, and without all that context, it just reads as kinda sexist, given that the "crazy ex" thing is a sucky trope.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
The problem with the ending is that it requires way too much deep-cut lore knowledge to fully appreciate what they were going for, and without all that context, it just reads as kinda sexist, given that the "crazy ex" thing is a sucky trope.
I suppose it's more for Kunio fans. Especially since it's behind the secret boss.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Jesus this is some Dark Souls lore shit.
Yeah, this is part of why I had hoped maybe we would get some sort of new localized versions of all the games in Kunio-kun World Collection but that was a silly thing to expect honestly.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's hinted thru out the game that the Girls were off with someone even saying "they ditched you again?"
The issue isn't that it wasn't foreshadowed, however little, the issue is why it even had to be there at all. It feels hackneyed.

It would've been great to put in some of these meta gags about the continuity in more hidden passages - that's basically what the secret boss is and it's funny to just have that - but compromising the game's entire premise on something only a select few will understand in both endings is pretty self-aggrandizing to be honest.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with that context, it's still that trope, just with a meta joke being there on top. It still sucks.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't Kyoko and Misako take bullets for Kunio and Riki in their original game?

That's how you gonna do them, Wayforward?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Yes, i am not deep into the lore, and so to me i was not a kickass savior, i was just a crazy punching lunatic :(
kinda like real life in fact (only punching pillows though) , that's a bummer.
You'll see that since i was playing alone and they kept acting as if i was assisted by an AI with constant banter, people thinking they've been beaten by multiple people, i was in fact completely nuts and imagined it all hence the plot holes of my journey.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So I went down the Kunio Kun's Cinematic Universe Wikia hole and now I am reading that Mami was orginally a sweet and innocent girl that saw through Riki's tough guy mask?
latest

Nothing makes sense lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the novel subversion of damsel in distress was thrown out for Deepest Kunio Lore.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I've just looked around..It seems like they made a small alteration though, rather than a whole other ending. Not that it's confirmed either way.
I think that alteration does a lot to make the protagonists look better, if at the expense of the guys. Assuming it's true.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Well don't leave us hanging.
It's basically the same, with the exception that they change why the guys ditched them. In japanese apparently, they're not crazy ex-girlfriend stalkers. They are Kunio and Riki's girlfriends, but it's revealed that Kunio and Riki cheat on them and are pretty flippant about it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically the same, with the exception that they change why the guys ditched them. In japanese apparently, they're not crazy ex-girlfriend stalkers. They are Kunio and Riki's girlfriends, but it's revealed that Kunio and Riki cheat on them and are pretty flippant about it.

Huh. That is a little better I guess, albeit at the expense of the franchise's main character.

I still wish it was just "girls save their boyfriends" though.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if that's better or worse.

Curious how they play the meta gag in the secret ending in that case.