• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the whole unreliable narrator twist was pretty good. Made me look back at the dialogue and think "oh shit." As far as the whole characters being jerks angle, most of the characters in the game are assholes.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Okay with info provided here, this still sucks (I only played the NES River City Ransom).
I did some googling and this looks kinda badass (picture below), would have been cool if Kunio&Riki were saved half way through and you would all team up to take down the big baddie.
Otherwise, I feel just "LOL TROLLED" from this whole game.
383275-shin-nekketsu-koha-kunio-kun-kunio-tachi-no-banka-snes-manual.png

Yusuke and Kuwabara sure changed over the years

/s

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Don't know if that's better or worse.

Curious how they play the meta gag in the secret ending in that case.
I mean in one version.

You're crazy exes stalking two guys and leaving a path of destruction in your wake while coming up with a false narrative to make it work.

In the other.

You're two delinquents who legitimately believe your delinquent boyfriends are in danger and you do the delinquent thing cause duh, delinquent. But the twist is that you're dating delinquents, and delinquents are scumbags.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So I went down the Kunio Kun's Cinematic Universe Wikia hole and now I am reading that Mami was orginally a sweet and innocent girl that saw through Riki's tough guy mask?
latest

Nothing makes sense lol.
Isn't that because she is viewed from Kyoko and Misato point of view. In their eyes she isn't a pure, innocent girl.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean in one version.

You're crazy exes stalking two guys and leaving a path of destruction in your wake while coming up with a false narrative to make it work.

In the other.

You're two delinquents who legitimately believe your delinquent boyfriends are in danger and you do the delinquent thing cause duh, delinquent. But the twist is that you're dating delinquents, and delinquents are scumbags.
Yeah I'll take the one that doesn't undermine our heroines now that I think about it.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was funny and fit the tone of the game. It's very WayForward. Fight Club-ish, too. It makes me like Misako and Kyoko even more. Maybe they can fall in love with Billy and Jimmy and fight Marian in the sequel.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're given no reason to think they act otherwise.

We even get a flashback of them bullying Kyoko.

That part in particular is super weird given that Mami is Riki's canon girlfriend.

The protags already were shown to be total wackos going by the dialogue alone.

Yeah but now the context shifted from brawler hyperreality where everyone's a violent wacko to "these girls are delusional assholes who beat up hundreds, and then kick the shit out of Kunio and Riki for not being into them."

And then you're rewarded for beating the game with the option to play Kunio and Riki, who are nobody to the player now because we just established they aren't their boyfriends and are being stalked by them!

Kinda wish I saw this thread a few hours ago, before I bought River City Girls

It's still a really good game unless a bad ending totally ruins things for you.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The protags already were shown to be total wackos going by the dialogue alone.
I find applying the "psycho ex girlfriend" trope to what was otherwise an interesting inversion of the typical damsel in distress story kinda problematic but hey you do you.

Kinda wish I saw this thread a few hours ago, before I bought River City Girls
My gripes with the ending aside the game itself is still great.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly that sounds hilarious and totally in line with this being a series about a pair of street punks so shrug

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but now the context shifted from brawler hyperreality where everyone's a violent wacko to "these girls are delusional assholes who beat up hundreds, and then kick the shit out of Kunio and Riki for not being into them."

And then you're rewarded for beating the game with the option to play Kunio and Riki, who are nobody to the player now because we just established they aren't their boyfriends and are being stalked by them!
Yeah as someone new to the series(which I imagine a lot of people buying this game will be) it's kinda an odd reward.

"Hey congratulations for beating the game, now you can play as those two guys unrelated to our heroines who are dating those bullies who'd been harassing you all game!"

Yay?

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah at the end of the day I got a good chuckle out of it and lets be realistic, the entire game is super light hearted and the dialogue is tons of tongue in cheek/meta. Nothing serious at all.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as someone new to the series(which I imagine a lot of people buying this game will be) it's kinda an odd reward.

"Hey congratulations for beating the game, now you can play as those two guys unrelated to our heroines who are dating those bullies who'd been harassing you all game!"

Yay?
I would assume that's a reward mostly for people who like Kunio-kun and a way to let people meet these characters as well. Reading the impressions here just makes me think they tried to nail and respect the tone of the original series while doing their own thing. Maybe it could be done better like I said before.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I was not caught off guard by the ending. I already knew Mami and Hasebe were usually their girlfriends in the games, and had caught on to nobody knowing anything about a kidnapping pretty early on in the game. Even the picture Kyoko gets texted from "blocked caller" is suspect. It's just Riki and Kunio getting in a van with some punks. Very different from the intro, where they're beat up by cops and tied up in the van.

Apr 24, 2018
Okay with info provided here, this still sucks (I only played the NES River City Ransom).
I did some googling and this looks kinda badass (picture below), would have been cool if Kunio&Riki were saved half way through and you would all team up to take down the big baddie.
Otherwise, I feel just "LOL TROLLED" from this whole game.
383275-shin-nekketsu-koha-kunio-kun-kunio-tachi-no-banka-snes-manual.png
Omg, this art reminds me so much of Great Teacher Onizuka - I love it!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would assume that's a reward mostly for people who like Kunio-kun and a way to let people meet these characters as well. Reading the impressions here just makes me think they tried to nail and respect the tone of the original series while doing their own thing. Maybe it could be done better like I said before.
They nail the tone of the original series by completely changing the personalities of all the major characters? I'm not a longtime fan of the series but I'm guessing if I play any of the previous games Kyoko or Mami will be nothing like in this game.

I also don't get the "well there street punks" excuse some people are givng.

Isn't the stereotype in this kind of story usually the "jerk with a heart of gold type?" People who act like asshole but ultimately do the right thing?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I dunno, I kind of got the vibe that they were beating up people for basically no reason from preview footage alone.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I kind of got the vibe that they were beating up people for basically no reason from preview footage alone.

That happens in Beat Em' Ups all the time, though. And the game immediately contextualizes it with the principal sending the school after you.

I'm not trying to be Captain Woke here but it's lame that the one game about women saving their boyfriends had to have a gotcha twist, both in the narrative and on the nature of brawlers.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They nail the tone of the original series by completely changing the personalities of all the major characters? I'm not a longtime fan of the series but I'm guessing if I play any of the previous games Kyoko or Mami will be nothing like in this game.

I also don't get the "well there street punks" excuse some people are givng.

Isn't the stereotype in this kind of story usually the "jerk with a heart of gold type?" People who act like asshole but ultimately do the right thing?
I mean more in the sense of trying to keep everyone a bit wacky and still delinquents with a bit of an edge.

I do agree that real life implications may be bad and this could be done better (and sucks to play a game and end up disliking your playable characters). Just trying to see why they did this.

Edit: Gold Arsene actually now reading more impressions on this I get your point better. I shouldn't downplay the issues others have with the few games they feel represented in, even if I thought the idea was funny or in-line with the series. Sorry. Maybe they shouldn't play the "girlfriend" angle from the start and just have them as delinquents trying to save them, would work in a similar way without the crazy ex angle.

I'm not trying to be Captain Woke here but it's lame that the one game about women saving their boyfriends had to have a gotcha twist, both in the narrative and on the nature of brawlers.
No problem, just play Super Princess Peach... . .. . : ( oh no

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there was a a lot of changes in the game's premise and structure during development. Flopping from Kunio as MC to girls as MC to guys not actually being kidnapped and making it a big joke.
I am not mad over ending, I thought it was just kinda dumb.

And IF they are stalking Kunio and Riki who forgot who the girls even are/are cheating, the duo should have been the final boss.

2 questions:

What is yandere ?
And is there a physical copy of this game? - I like how it looks
Yandere is term for person loving someone to the point of unhealthy obsession/delusion with potentially harming anyone who stands in the name of love.
Yangire is a step further where that person can get extremely violent depending on emotions, even towards the person of affection ("If I chop off your legs, you will never cheat on me!").

Nov 15, 2017
Can confirm the Japanese version 'changes' the ending.

Though that basically just consists of translating 4 or 5 text boxes in the final comic differently to where they do not deny knowing who the girls are or being their girlfriends and mentioning that they were just out 'hitting on chicks'

But the original English voice still plays over the different translation so if you know English it just conflicts with the text and is kind of confusing lol

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea of the ending, taken on its own, is sorta fun. It just comes at a pretty notable cost. Which is too bad, as the inversion of the damsel in distress trope is ultimately far more interesting. The ending doesn't infuriate me, but it is a missed opportunity (and I do think it is a bit of a bummer).

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Im just barely passed the 2nd boss. But this makes sense and gives what ive experienced in the game so far alot of context.

I really like the game so far its a great beat em up.

Nov 3, 2017
I find applying the "psycho ex girlfriend" trope to what was otherwise an interesting inversion of the typical damsel in distress story kinda problematic but hey you do you.

My gripes with the ending aside the game itself is still great.
It's a totally decent game, I kind of wish I'd waited for at least a slight discount but it's all good.

Perhaps, but I know what I like and this is one of those things that's going to sour the experience the whole way through. The main reason I got the game was how charming it seemed, and the ending really undercuts that

If you feel that strongly about it, where did you buy it?
If it's on Steam, you can get a refund if you played less than 2 hours.

Got it on Eshop, and I have no idea what it's refund policy is, if any

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
That happens in Beat Em' Ups all the time, though. And the game immediately contextualizes it with the principal sending the school after you.

That's kinda my feeling too. It feels like a caveat because god forbid men are helpless when women come to their aid.

It just seems like a psycho ex-girlfriend joke which is played out as fuck and honestly pretty misogynistic as a trope.

Aug 28, 2019
I thought it was terrible. It undermined the whole premise that WayForward set us up for. Not in a "shocking twist" kind of way, but in an "eww, what did I just play" kind of way. And for what? A "crazy ex" joke? We can't just have two badass best friends saving their boyfriends? Not this one time?

The game was great, but the ending just left me with a bad feeling.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty shitty to me. I think I still wanna play it at some point, but that's a disappointing twist to lean on.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Man when i was saying tht girls should ditch the guys and hook up with each other, who would've guessed that would've actually been for the better XD

Deleted member 15125

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(I haven't played the game yet, so please forgive me if I'm missing something crucial).

It seems to me like the ending would read better if the protagonists were simply "girls with crushes who are venerating boys who don't respect them" instead of "obsessive stalker girls." Then the message would be, "These girls are so much better than the shitty boys they were crushing on" and not "lol they thought their non boyfriends were their boyfriends."

Seriously, women having to go out of their way to impress shitty men who don't appreciate or respect them is a real world problem that feminists talk about all the time. I can't help but feel like they dropped the ball on this one.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
(I haven't played the game yet, so please forgive me if I'm missing something crucial).

It seems to me like the ending would read better if the protagonists were simply "girls with crushes who are venerating boys who don't respect them" instead of "obsessive stalker girls." Then the message would be, "These girls are so much better than the shitty boys they were crushing on" and not "lol they thought their non boyfriends were their boyfriends."

Seriously, women having to go out of their way to impress shitty men who don't appreciate or respect them is a real world problem that feminists talk about all the time. I can't help but feel like they dropped the ball on this one.
Well they do beat the shit out of the boys in both endings.

Deleted member 15125

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they do beat the shit out of the boys in both endings.

Do they beat them up because they realize that they're shitty or do they beat them up because "OMG how DARE you not think that we're you're girlfriends!?" One portrays them in a sympathetic* light. The other makes them look delusional.

*Yes, I know that beating them up for being shitty is also worthy of scorn and not sympathy. The solution to this would be to just not have them beat them up at all.