• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gonzon06

One Winged Slayer
Nov 28, 2017
Except we have no reason to believe they act any different when not around the girls.

There the ones who attack you in the secret ending and we have flashbacks of them always being bullies.

The franchise up until this game, though I get that many people would probably start with this one. There's also the fact that we're seeing this flashback through the eyes of the same person who acted like she didn't know them in the beginning and even said they seem nice until Misako told her that they're crazy because they "thought" they were dating Kunio and Riki, then suddenly they're the worst. I think the flashback was less about them and more about building up Misako.

And yeah, they're the secret fight but you kinda gotta go outta your way to fight them and even then it's commented on how out of place it is and that someone else should've been there

The scene aside from the text is still identical and it ends with the girls punching them away. They need a legit reason in the narrative for that to happen so they're kind of stuck since they have to make Kunio do something assholely enough to justify their anger

Sure, they had to work with what they had but again I don't really think it was to recontextualize a joke they didn't like more than it was to rework it in a way that makes slightly more sense over there

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The "reading too much into it" defense is the stage 1 version of "keep politics out of my games!"

Oct 27, 2017
don't know much about this series but I saw Matt and Liam playing it so I was a little interested, but after reading that ending nah, if they wanted them to be weird stalkers they should have just been upfront about it and I personally don't mind when a protagonist is an asshole, and from what I read itt it seems they were only a couple in a single game so they could have been written them as psycho ex girlfriends that didn't get over it if the idea was to make a joke about them being a couple once.
Anyway I really hate "twist" endings, especially if they are just there for a lame joke so I'm gonna skip this game.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I am in the minority who thinks the ending is absolutely fine.
Who in the right mind would have skived school detention, then beat the hell up everyone on their way to the yakuza tower because they received a text msg about their bf? Really? They are crazy bi_tches which was proved at the end, and I love them for it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The franchise up until this game, though I get that many people would probably start with this one. There's also the fact that we're seeing this flashback through the eyes of the same person who acted like she didn't know them in the beginning and even said they seem nice until Misako told her that they're crazy because they "thought" they were dating Kunio and Riki, then suddenly they're the worst. I think the flashback was less about them and more about building up Misako.

And yeah, they're the secret fight but you kinda gotta go outta your way to fight them and even then it's commented on how out of place it is and that someone else should've been there
You know despite not playing them I have a distinct feeling Kyoko and Misako probably act a little different in their previous appearances then they do in this game.

So I have no idea why I should take characterization from the previous games into consideration as a reason Hasebe and Mami must obviously not be petty bullies and our heroines are just psychotic stereotypes.
Eh I dunno. The secret boss's dialog actually brings it up so I think it makes more sense than straight up assuming Arcsystemworks would rather potray the actual main character of the franchise as a remorseless asshole for whatever reason
Totally ok to make the women look bad though, that's just fine!/s

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am in the minority who thinks the ending is absolutely fine.
Who in the right mind would have skived school detention, then beat the hell up everyone on their way to the yakuza tower because they received a text msg about their bf? Really? They are crazy bi_tches which was proved at the end, and I love them for it.
You mean like how the original game started?
rcr_intro.png

Gonzon06

One Winged Slayer
Nov 28, 2017
Totally ok to make the women look bad though, that's just fine!/s

Exactly!/s

No, what I was actually trying to explain to the other poster was why I believed ArcSystemWorks changed it, not which was better

I mean, even with the change it's still a game were they tore through town based on a misunderstanding of a picture of Kunio and Riki climbing into a van so I don't really think the game cares about who comes off looking "bad"

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly!/s

No, what I was actually trying to explain to the other poster was why I believed ArcSystemWorks changed it, not which was better

I mean, even with the change it's still a game were they tore through town based on a misunderstanding of a picture of Kunio and Riki climbing into a van so I don't really think the game cares about who comes off looking "bad"

The problem is that every beat em' up ever made starts with that rough premise, and the single one about "women saving their boyfriends" ends up where the twist happens.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Sure, they had to work with what they had but again I don't really think it was to recontextualize a joke they didn't like more than it was to rework it in a way that makes slightly more sense over there

This is a dumb as fuck excuse. It's like you're suggesting a country that basically has a corner market on that type if archtyle is incapable of parsing what they're saying about the girls.

In a country where all of the games(Unlike America) are readily available.

They probably changed it cause it's bad and dumb, not cause Japanese people can't understand what Yandere is.

Gonzon06

One Winged Slayer
Nov 28, 2017
This is a dumb as fuck excuse. It's like you're suggesting a country that basically has a corner market on that type if archtyle is incapable of parsing what they're saying about the girls.

In a country where all of the games(Unlike America) are readily available.

They probably changed it cause it's bad and dumb, not cause Japanese people can't understand what Yandere is.

Chill out dude and that's not even what I said. I never said that japan doesn't understand a japanese term I said that it makes no sense to act like they don't know them over there since the game itself mentions that they were only dating for one game which never released outside of Japan.

The problem is that every beat em' up ever made starts with that rough premise, and the single one about "women saving their boyfriends" ends up where the twist happens.

I understand and even though I liked the ending, that's also a valid take

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Chill out dude and that's not even what I said. I never said that japan doesn't understand a japanese term I said that it makes no sense to act like they don't know them over there since as the game itself mentions that they were only dating for one game which never released outside of Japan.
How in the world does recontextualizing a joke, which is your words, line up with this statement. If they're fully aware of the context of these girls, the argument that they changed the context of the ending cause it might not make sense to them, is contradictory. There's nothing to be confused about.

It's way more likely they thought the english ending was bad and they opted out of it rather than them not getting it, which is what you suggested.

Gonzon06

One Winged Slayer
Nov 28, 2017
How in the world does recontextualizing a joke, which is your words, line up with this statement. If they're fully aware of the context of these girls, the argument that they changed the context of the ending cause it might not make sense to them, is contradictory. There's nothing to be confused about.

It's way more likely they thought the english ending was bad and they opted out of it rather than them not getting it, which is what you suggested.

Maybe I used the wrong word, my bad. I think you get what I meant though.

Nov 15, 2017
Every character is already like completely different from the original Japanese series and they didn't change them in translation despite that. I don't think "not making sense in the context of the Japanese games" is an issue by that point since that already applies to the entire game itself.

And it's not like they didn't know them in the English version. They did know them since they were like "oh god it's those crazy girls." They just didn't remember their names.

Last edited:

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bump. Just finished this tonight and had a feeling they were just delusional stalkers. I thought it was a great payoff.