• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like Identity crisis?

• Loved it

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Hated it

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • It was alright.

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
So I am not a huge comic fan and don't know much about the DC comic universe But I decided to read Identify Crisis after it was mentioned in a video.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the book as the mystery was intriguing and I found the Low key (on a world level.) but personal Crisis fascinating.
Also not being a big DC fan it was neat learning about peoples families.

2 major problems 1 The deathstroke Fight was nonsense. I love Slade from teentitans but taking out flash and Green lantern is just non sense and broke all immersion

And the ending was horrible the motivation was so bad Why kill many people to get back with your husband? Atom did not even seem that mad at her shuly she could have just talked to him? The Wanton murder is just wacky and retroactively ruins the entire story.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Identity Crisis is a book that starts off with an "uhh, not sure about that chief" premise and just gets worse from there. I agree that the ending is the most egregious, it's stupidly offensive and offensively stupid.

Meltzer does a good job writing DC heroes as a community, where they feel like actual friends/co-workers with complex relationships. There's not really anything else to like about it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Deathstroke pretty routinely punches above his weight class

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty much all garbage but credit where credit is due, this scene hit me like a Mack truck:

batman-robin-identity-crisis.jpg

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Deathstroke pretty routinely punches above his weight class
Sure but against the multiple members of the JLA at once is pushing it. Green Lantern could have sealed him in a giant green safe without breaking a sweat. And "overpowering" the Lantern's own will is just shoddy. It's like what's the point of these rings choosing people if some rando can easily turn it against you. It shouldn't be the same as stealing a cop's gun from his own holster.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty much all garbage but credit where credit is due, this scene hit me like a Mack truck:

batman-robin-identity-crisis.jpg

Best scene in the book.

I voted it was alright. With no reference on some of these characters (especially Loring) I wasnt sure how out of character and crazy she was.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You didn't even mention the worst part, which is the one that stuck in canon the longest, the lobotomizing of villains (and Batman) and turning Dr. Light over to their teenaged sidekicks to fight.

Now go read Cry for Justice.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Sure but against the multiple members of the JLA at once is pushing it. Green Lantern could have sealed him in a giant green safe without breaking a sweat. And "overpowering" the Lantern's own will is just shoddy. It's like what's the point of these rings choosing people if some rando can easily turn it against you. It shouldn't be the same as stealing a cop's gun from his own holster.

Some of the ways to take down the heroes worked well enough, but "putting a sword where Wally will be so he'll run into it" was so dumb. And then they beat Deathstroke by simply...jumping on him?

It COULD have worked but it was just written so terribly.

Remember how the story starts off with Ray Palmer begging his ex-wife to get back together, she says "no way", and then she murders Sue Dibney so that....she can get back together with Ray?

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
You didn't even mention the worst part, which is the one that stuck in canon the longest, the lobotomizing of villains
That Part I actually liked a lot it makes perfect sense to want to protect your and family if a Bad Guy learns who you are and but is very messed up and brings up a interesting moral question.
Dr. Light over to their teenaged sidekicks to fight.
Now this is really gross and weird especially since Dr.Light is a rapist
Now go read Cry for Justice.
I am scared to is it actually good or will it disappoint me like Identity Crisis?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Slayven speaking the truth.
That Part I actually liked a lot it makes perfect sense to want to protect your and family if a Bad Guy learns who you are and but is very messed up and brings up a interesting moral question.

I am scared to is it actually good or will it disappoint me like Identity Crisis?

It's worse. Cry for Justice is borderline nonsensical at times.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Oh, that was totally tongue in cheek, Cry for Justice was bad. And up to that point I basically loved most everything that James Robinson had put out.

See, magically removing memories or whatever, they've done that stuff for a long time. Magical lobotomy, making him incompetent,then passing him over to train your sidekicks? Then removing Batman's memories? Yeah, uh...

Also, intentionally or not, this was the era where they absolutely decimated key members of the bwah ha ha (Dematteis and Giffen) Justice League. They basically got the gang back together a year or so prior in a miniseries called "Formerly Known as the Justice League." That lineup included:
Maxwell Lord
Blue Beetle
Booster Gold
Fire
Ralph Dibny
Sue Dibny
Captain Atom
Mary Marvel (to replace Captain Marvel)

Pretty much every single one of those characters were ruined in some form.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
And the ending was horrible the motivation was so bad Why kill many people to get back with your husband? Atom did not even seem that mad at her shuly she could have just talked to him?
I haven't read this since I was a teenager, but if I remember correctly, in the beginning Ray was being pretty obvious about wanting to get back together? The ending was basically "Women are just crazy."

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Identity Crisis is shit from top to bottom. Tasteless, nonsensical guff that masqueraded as "mature storytelling" when it was really just mature subject matter handled with all the care, subtlety and nuance of a sledgehammer.