• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From https://metacouncil.com/threads/epic-game-store-spyware-tracking-and-you.766/, originally from Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

This is about what I've found after poking the Epic Game Store client for a bit. Keep in mind that I am a rank amateur - if any actual experts here want to look at what I've scraped and found, shoot me a DM and I can send you what I've got.

One of the first things I noticed is that EGS likes to enumerate running processes on your computer.

ttLFD5T.png

As you can see, there aren't many in my case; I set up a fresh laptop for this. This is a tad worrying - what do they need that information for? And why is it trying to access DLLs in the directories of some of my applications?

IRjCX3I.png

More worrying is that it really likes reading about your root certificates.

8nw7TvP.png

Like, a lot.

md61Rc0.png

In fact, there's a fair bit of odd registry stuff going on period. Like I said, I'm an amateur, so if there are any non-amateur people out there who would be able to explain why it's poking at keys that are apparently associated with internet explorer, I'd appreciate it.

md61Rc0.png

It seems to like my IE cookies, too.

NPAMYNK.png

In my totally professional opinion, the EGS client appears to have a severe mental disorder, as it loves talking to itself.

1pjyBVY.png

I'm sure that this hardware survey information it's apparently storing in the registry won't be used for anything nefarious or identifiable at all.

ra1gHto.png

Steam is at least nice enough to ask you to partake in their hardware surveys.

Now that's just what it's doing locally on the computer. Let's look at traffic briefly. Fiddler will, if you let it, install dank new root certs and sniff out/decrypt SSL traffic for you. Using it and actually reading through results is a right pain though, and gives me a headache - and I only let the Epic client run long enough to log in, download slime rancher, click a few things, and then I terminated the process. Even that gave me an absolute shitload of traffic to look through, despite filtering out the actual download traffic.

I didn't see any massive red flags in the traffic. I didn't see any root certs being created. But I also had 279 logged connections to look at by hand, on an old laptop, and simply couldn't view it all, there's an absolute fuckload of noise to go through, and I didn't leave the client running for very long. It already took me hours to sort through the traffic, not to mention several hundred thousand entries in ProcMon.

If you want to replicate this, it's pretty easy. Grab Fiddler and set it up, enable SSL decryption (DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE CERTS AFTERWARDS), start up Epic, and watch the packets flow, like a tranquil brook, all the way to Tim Sweeney's gaping datacenters. Use ProcMon if you want an extremely detailed, verbose of absolutely everything that the client does to your computer, you'll need to play with filters for a while to get it right. And I'm sure there are better ways to view what's going on inside of network traffic - but I am merely a rank amateur.

I give this game storefront a final rating of: PRETTY SKETCHY / 10

I also welcome attempts from people who do this professionally to take a crack at figuring out what sorts of questionable things the Epic client does. Seriously, I'd love to know what you find.

NB: CreateFile in ProcMon can actually indicate that a file is being opened, not necessarily created.

edit: oh yeah it also does a bunch of weird multicast stuff that'll mess with any TVs on your network. Good job, Epic.

Another user continued studying and found that it was scanning contents of their Steam directory:

Rgv7zkK.png

In addition, we know that data tracking was always meant to be a key component of the Epic store, with Sergey Galyonkin stating he wants to be able to give much more usage data to third party developers than what Steam currently allows. We also recently had him state how many users of the Epic store had Steam running and now we know how: They track all running processes on your machine.

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. How else do you think they got that stat about most of the fortnite players not having steam installed?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need more analysis and confirmation that just one dude saying "hey i noticed..." before giving this any credence, but obviously if true it's incredibly unethical.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
While I do not like what Epic has been doing recently and their anti-consumer practices, I'll wait for people smarter than me who understands this to weigh in and see if this is actually something we should be worried about.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Totally unsurprising. Epic wants to be number one and they don't give two shits about how unethical they have to be to get there.

The fact that they are spying on you should come as a surprise to no one. Consumers are cattle to them. A total afterthought.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
All the file access stuff looks fairly normal. You would be surprised how much shit gets automatically accessed just by using some frameworks. But the Steam stuff looks sketchy. Definetly need more analysis on the network traffic though which seems okay so far.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not a fan of the Epic Games store. At all. See post history.

But.....

In the age of Windows 10, google, AWS..... Privacy has become an illusion.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
In fact, there's a fair bit of odd registry stuff going on period. Like I said, I'm an amateur, so if there are any non-amateur people out there who would be able to explain why it's poking at keys that are apparently associated with internet explorer, I'd appreciate it. It seems to like my IE cookies, too.

This part seems completely normal to me. Making a web connection through the OS API would do this.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this going to be one of those cases where it turns out be either not true or a less bigger deal than it was made out to be? Amateur reddit sleuthing rarely works.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The Epic Store has taken its anti-consumer ethos to a militant degree.

They're literally spying and logging your system data, huh. What great competition...

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the premise of this thread seriously based on a "i have no idea what im looking at but have decided that an online application installed on my system accesses the registry and network traffic and that is bad"?

Come on. This seems like very common behavior for this kind of program

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised bigger media hasn't picked this up as the Fortnite client spying, as for most people that would how the story would read.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the premise of this thread seriously based on a "i have no idea what im looking at but have decided that an online application installed on my system accesses the registry and network traffic and that is bad"?

Come on. This seems like very common behavior for this kind of program

It's a bit of a mixed bag honestly. Certain parts are common behavior that he clearly doesn't know about. Other parts, not so much.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this allowed? And are we prompted to give permission for this in the agreement?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
The only part that is concerning the steam looking in your library stuff. That seems shady as hell.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want to criticize Epic, need a more reliable source than Reddit.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Makes sense. How else do you think they got that stat about most of the fortnite players not having steam installed?

Amusingly, that comment supports an old blog post of Galyonkin's that asserts that building a userbase around an F2P product doesn't mean you'd have an inbuilt audience of paying customers were you to so expand, but you can bet that Epic is talking from the other side of its mouth when approaching publishers with exclusivity deals.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's a bit of a mixed bag honestly. Certain parts are common behavior that he clearly doesn't know about. Other parts, not so much.

Tell me about the other parts.

As it stands now, the sourcing of this information concerns me, as does the fact that other people are chiming in stating that the bulk of it is relatively normal for a storefront.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has no problem with EGS, I'd love to know more about this stuff. I couldn't care less about moneyhatting. Unusual spyware activity is a different story. Be interesting to see a comparison on what each store launcher (including Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, etc...) tracks.

Oct 25, 2017
Explains how they without any prompt or opt in knew I used steam.

How do those boots taste mr orange?
unless you live in a cave and custom write every application that runs on all your computing devices, you've been subjecting yourself to this kind of behavior for years. How about informing yourself instead of being yet another one of the gullible people here waiting to jump at any opportunity to crucify Epic Games for acting like a fucking business and showing your ass to anyone who dares disagree with that kind of behavior. jesus christ I can't hit the ignore button fast enough on anyone in these threads who dive-by posts the words "competition" or "anti-consumer" without using a single brain cell to contemplate what is actually happening

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Tell me about the other parts.

As it stands now, the sourcing of this information concerns me, as does the fact that other people are chiming in stating that the bulk of it is relatively normal for a storefront.

It concerns me as well Bron, along with all the other stuff that Epic are doing, it feels very anti-consumer.

Does make me wonder however what other services are accessing, such as Steam for example, or if this is literally just exclusive (no pun intended) to Epic.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Given that there seems to be a lack of information or misinformation, and the person doing this is an admitted amateur, we're locking this thread. If there is new news that confirms more details about this with a stronger source, feel free to make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.