• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): driving thread derail over multiple posts
...And I still don't give a hoot about EGS.

It's actually impressive that even when giving away free games I'm still not willing to jump on the, scummy, bandwagon (in before "your loss").

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that the same day Steam's Winter sale starts?

Looks like I'll be making a pit stop at EGS, before heading to Steam to buy games.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Good time to build my new PC then. Hopefully they are something cool.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

It's actually impressive that even when giving away free games I'm still not willing to jump on the, scummy, bandwagon (in before "your loss").
Look, you might have whatever opinion you want on EGS, I don't care lol

But I find completely absurd that you are congratulating yourself for such a dumb thing. "It's actually impressive how good I am", come the fuck on. What I'm impressed on is how people can be vain about such an insignificant thing.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But I find completely absurd that you are congratulating yourself for such a dumb thing. "It's actually impressive how good I am", come the fuck on. What I'm impressed on is how people can be vain about such an insignificant thing.
Sorry for taking a side with regards to scummy consumer- and work ethic practices.

Anyway sorry to piss on your parade. Let's end it here before "READ STAFF POST" comes.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018

My thoughts exactly. I enjoyed the use of the word "hoot" though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry for expecting more, not less. I'm not going to berate people for picking up the free swag, but it's absolutely fine for others to not want to be part of that either. Time, personal information and choice are just as legitimate a currency to exercise as money — especially nowadays. It's not about being "above" handouts.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Can I ask a random question about the EGS here? If I have an Epic Games Store Code and try to redeem it, does it confirm what the code is before redeeming it? Or does it redeem straight to the account.

I have a code for a game that I want to gift to someone but wanna make sure it's still valid before I do so.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Epic is great, discovered a lot of franchises with them, including Batman, You Don't Know jack an Edith Finch. Loved them all.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they put the PC version of Tetris Effect on-sale so I can double dip.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I have a few free games, I think it's great.

As for the trailer of new games I wonder how good Predator will be?

Oct 29, 2017
Can I ask a random question about the EGS here? If I have an Epic Games Store Code and try to redeem it, does it confirm what the code is before redeeming it? Or does it redeem straight to the account.

I have a code for a game that I want to gift to someone but wanna make sure it's still valid before I do so.
From what I recall, from redeeming FIG codes for Outer Wilds and other ones, it does credit it to the account instantly. I may be wrong though

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you're supporting scummy practices if you support any of the major PC stores. Hell, chances are you're doing the same with your PC parts as well.

Once you enter the code into account redemption, it should tell you what you're redeeming before you actually redeem it.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome! But I don't really use Epic Launcher that much.

The only games I played them since I joined Epic Games store are these:

Shadow Complex remaster (the very first free game, didn't finish it yet)
Unreal Tournament (beta or whatever)
Fortnite (enjoyed it for weeks before getting so popular)
Paragon beta
Heavy Rain Demo
Beyond: Two Souls Demo

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for taking a side with regards to scummy consumer- and work ethic practices.

Anyway sorry to piss on your parade. Let's end it here before "READ STAFF POST" comes.
You misunderstand. He's not criticizing you for taking a stand or picking a side.

He's criticizing you for patting yourself on the back when the accomplishment you're patting yourself on the back for literally requires nothing of you. He's letting you know that no one is impressed and it comes of poorly.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I figured they would have something big to cap off their year of free games or whatever - I was hoping it would be one really, really good game, though. Twelve free games is nice but I assume a lot of them are going to be old and/or just okay.

I should probably get around to playing the ones I already have though, like Celeste and the like.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm thinking their only goal here is to try and show up Steam a bit, so I imagine they'll give away some of their notable exclusives like Outer Wilds or Manifold Garden and not the usual stuff you've been able to find elsewhere for over a year. I'd reinstall if they just threw Outer Wilds out.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just a reminder you do not need to install the launcher at all to claim any of their free games. Just log in through website store and you can claim them without giving Epic any part of your information or business with their exclusivity shenanigans.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder you do not need to install the launcher at all to claim any of their free games. Just log in through website store and you can claim them without giving Epic any part of your information or business with their exclusivity shenanigans.
To... what end? You'd need to install it to ever play those games.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to be done with the free games now, I have to wonder what's going to keep people coming back. There are still exclusives, but there's still way more games missing EGS than releasing. I can't get Disco Elysium, Halo, Resident Evil, Doom, or Sekiro on the Epic Games Store. Making EGS your de-facto PC Store means missing out on next to everything that comes out, and they still haven't solved that after being open for business for an entire year.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
If they're going to be done with the free games now, I have to wonder what's going to keep people coming back. There are still exclusives, but there's still way more games missing EGS than releasing. I can't get Disco Elysium, Halo, Resident Evil, Doom, or Sekiro on the Epic Games Store. Making EGS your de-facto PC Store means missing out on next to everything that comes out, and they still haven't solved that after being open for business for an entire year.

Rumours abound of some sort of subscription service, 4ish games per month for 10 bucks, bundled with exclusive fortnite skins. Paying people to come to your store every week/day isn't a sound long term business strategy.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Rumours abound of some sort of subscription service, 4ish games per month for 10 bucks, bundled with exclusive fortnite skins. Paying people to come to your store every week/day isn't a sound long term business strategy.
That doesn't sound like a great deal. I guess the fortnite skins give it a bit of something unique, but that's still not much better than Humble's offering, or Gamepass if we want to go with a less fitting comparison.
Though again, Epic doesn't have what they need to make anyone want to exclusively shop there, which is important if they want to try and disrupt Steam. Gamepass doesn't have a lot of the games coming out on Steam, but it's not trying to displace Steam.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Quality of the free games they've been giving away has been pretty damn good so I'm curious to see if they can actually keep that up over twelve days.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, didn't realize you could do this. Up to now I've completely ignored all the free shit, but if I can help redistribute some of that Fortnite money to other developers without installing anything, I might take more interest.