• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the trust system

I still haven't picked up anybody beyond the Sprites that have already peaced out. I've just gotten to the one town where the old man is begging somebody to come in and steal his daughter's old things so he can move on. If I do this before I recruit allies, will that affect the Trust rank, or will that only happen if I have party members (ala Star Ocean 2 only docking you for pickpocketing and other crimes if you aren't on a Private Action) ...or is it all moot because the old guy wants the stuff to be stolen and the game won't penalize me for it period.
It's fine if you don't have any party members.
And you actually have to do that to continue.

Deleted member 32615

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I applied the patch and whenever I start the game and press start on the title screen, the opening replays again when I get to the "Start Journal" screen. What's happening here?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the first party member and decided to call it a night. As I said before, it's nice how quickly paced this game is so far. It's a far cry for how dreadfully slow the DS game was.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got to the first party member and decided to call it a night. As I said before, it's nice how quickly paced this game is so far. It's a far cry for how dreadfully slow the DS game was.
Yea I'm thinking the same so far, very breezy pacing. It's emblematic of that era of JRPGs and I miss it.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I'm replaying it cause I forgot a lot of things.
Small thoughts after playing 1~2 hours during my lunch break:
- Poor pigs...
-
Cross-dressing!
-
Sin!
- The MC sure like to jump from high heights. But I can't help but be amused at the NPCs reactions, especially the Sparta soldiers.
- Encounter rate is high, but dungeons are short for now so it's tolerable.
- Pacing is fast, thanks to being a SFC RPG.

Also what's the name of the first party member in English, Leon? (レイオン in Japanese)

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Anybody can join in, yes. In terms of combat, it's fairly traditional. If you don't like menu-driven RPGs then you may want to avoid it, because it's DQ style combat through and through.
Thank you.

I thought it would be fairly traditional.
How difficult/grindy/intricate is the combat? Is this one of those where you either have to really learn the system (how to use/abuse it) or grind your characters for hours before every dungeon to progress in the game? Or is this simpler or easier and allows for JRPG scrubs to progress with less frustration?
Hopefully this question is understandable and clear enough.
I'll try it out either way (if I can find a copy and get it to work on my Retro Freak), I'd just like to brace myself for the frustration this game might bring.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that took a turn
Steal dead girls clothes to sell yourself into slavery.
giphy.gif

We back in the early-90s JRPG Wild West I see, lol

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Got the ROM working and played for about 40 minutes. Some thoughts

-Pacing is great
-Really funny game at times, some of the lines in battle are a crack up
-
Cross Dressing as a dead girl is pretty out there
-Battling is easy to understand and fun
-The encounter rate is well, pretty annoying at times
-Music can get annoying

So far it's got my interest, and I'll play some more before I head to sleep, better than expected!

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious as to why "Dig/Bury" has a dedicated face button...I'm guessing it'll end up being an important mechanic?

Also,
The Pixie brigade has finally fallen...oh well. It was pretty cool looking while it lasted.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious as to why "Dig/Bury" has a dedicated face button...I'm guessing it'll end up being an important mechanic?

Also,
The Pixie brigade has finally fallen...oh well. It was pretty cool looking while it lasted.

You can bury items, I guess as a bizarre form of storage.

Perhaps some story element will require it later.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just left the first island. Really digging it so far. It has some pretty quirky humor but also seems to touch on some darker subject matter at times, very similar vibe to DQ in that respect.

Just a few random thoughts/tips:
  • The message speed can be changed at any time in game, I'd recommend setting it to 2. I found 1 made certain battle texts disappear too quickly.
  • I'm not sure if there's a way to just check and see what items in your inventory do at any time, but you can check what they do while in the "sell" menu at a shop. Just scroll over the item and its effect will appear in the text box in the top left corner. For instance, Wine makes enemies fall asleep (at least that's what it said, I haven't tried it yet)
  • Before you leave the first island, it'd probably be a good idea to go back to Demeter's shrine.
  • I like that there is a shared inventory and you don't have to pass items around intra-party between individual characters. That was one part of DQ, and by extension games heavily influenced by it like Mother/EarthBound, that I never really enjoyed.
  • The first boss looks pretty awesome.
  • The script can be hilarious at times (in a good way). I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but a lot of lines sound "slightly off" in a way that makes it feel more like a foreign culture, like a low-key version of the accents from DQ.
  • Also, you can "rest" at an inn (as opposed to "sleeping") which changes the town from day to night instantly. Very nice QoL feature.
Enjoying it so far, I'll play some more tomorrow.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Played a little more, now in
Athens.
I don't think that has any importance gameplay-wise, but let's post how many of those minor companions that come by group of 9 we let die!
Fairies: 0!
Slaves: 1, I've been greedy with health potions.
Soldiers: 0! But the boss made me sweat a little to keep up with healing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a little more, now in
Athens.
I don't think that has any importance gameplay-wise, but let's post how many of those minor companions that come by group of 9 we let die!
Fairies: 0!
Slaves: 1, I've been greedy with health potions.
Soldiers: 0! But the boss made me sweat a little to keep up with healing.
0 from Group 1? Damn. I wiped them all before I even got to the shrine :'(

Group 2 I also had 1 loss. They started the battle with 86 HP and I thought they were safe, they happened to get dogpiled down to 79 though.

Group 3 is coming up shortly I think.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the 1st group left me almost immediately as I went to the western city first.
The trick, however, is to never let their HP go under 8/9th of the max.

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
I remember playing the DS Glory of Heracles and had a lot of fun with it.
Is this one more traditional, gameplay-wise? Also how long is it?

I might give it a try if I can manage to squeeze some time for it.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
This is rad, dude. And I didn't even realise there was an RPG community. Going to try to get involved with this, never played or heard of this franchise before.

Orfax

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hmm... this sounds interesting. I was just checking out that translation in OP a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how far I'll get (I'm supposed to be playing Grim Dawn this month), but I'll give it a shot!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad people are enjoying it. I was afraid it would be too traditional for some people. It's just got a certain je ne sais quoi to it that I've always loved. And it's really easy to see why the writing on this game (and the next game, Glory of Heracles 4) ended up getting Nojima his job at Square, although I wish the fan translation were just a little better.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Played a little more,
Heracles
joined my party!

Useful tip: during combat, you can push Select to slow down and Start to pause.
Also, don't forget to read Reion/Leon(?)'s journal.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
A few times, I've tried to figure out what Greek name レイオン corresponds to, but I've never found a good answer. The fan translation calls him Reion but I'm not sure if any thought went into that or not.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I had someone verify that it works on the SNES Mini, so that's another way people can play.

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started it today. That picked up faster than I expected! Already pretty interested to see where the game goes with this setup. Translation's a little clunky on the editing front, but it's readable. Honestly very charmed by the battle chatter.

"Damn you, Snakehead!"

Targeted Pixie!
"I'm fine!"
Pixie died!

edit: Didn't expect my character to be able to swim! Neat touch.

edit x2: felt really bad about taking that dress due to the associated npc tragedy, and then I realized what it was for. this game's something else.

Last edited:

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Always feels good to get your nomination picked! I think I will be putting it on my SNES Mini and starting tonight.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Where do you go to nominate games? I'd like to nominate XAK III for PC Engine...

I should try this series, only have the DS game that got released here. Cool idea for a thread, too.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Where do you go to nominate games? I'd like to nominate XAK III for PC Engine...

I should try this series, only have the DS game that got released here. Cool idea for a thread, too.

In about a month a new theme (this month's theme was console RPGs released between 1990 and 1992) will be posted for the second round of the club and nominations that fit within that theme can be posted in the RPG Community thread. We also have an RPG discord that a lot of us hang out in, feel free to PM me if you aren't in it yet and want a link.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
name8rqff.png

And thus begins our adventure...

Sinatar My name fits!

I don't know if there are any consequences, but I managed to keep all of the
pixies, and later the slaves
alive.

oldmankuqc0.png

This Old Man can join the pigs. Not only did he hide behind the slaves the entire time we were escaping from the sewers, but he gives me my freedom?! I showed him!

The expanded inventory system is interesting... I do appreciate a day/night cycle though.

Does taking anything from people's homes count as stealing, or only chests?

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Aeana will correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've gathered, you're free to take anything you want as long as you're not with a main companion (Reion, etc.). And even when you're with your companions, taking objects from regular chests, even in towns and castles, seems to be fine, but don't check pots and stone containers.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I will start this up, I need a shorter jrpg to play instead of jumping into Persona 5 or Xenoblade 2 until summer time. I've played the first two and i'm interested in going through 3 & 4

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, by the way, I can confirm the patched game works as a VC injection on 3DS if anyone was considering playing it that way.

I feel like I'm moving through this a lot quicker than I thought I would. I think a month will definitely be more than manageable for finishing it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
God dang, took me way too long to figure out how to get out of the bed. Even with that persons advice.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God dang, took me way too long to figure out how to get out of the bed. Even with that persons advice.
Yea this got me for a minute too for some reason. I think I just assumed it was a cutscene or something, I don't know.

On a related note, it's pretty cool how you can double tap to jump down cliffs on the overworld map.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yea this got me for a minute too for some reason. I think I just assumed it was a cutscene or something, I don't know.

On a related note, it's pretty cool how you can double tap to jump down cliffs on the overworld map.

I kept thinking I'd be able to push the grey box thing, as if the NPC was hinting at that ability.

This game does have an odd charm to it. Not gonna lie going back to such an old school game was kind of.. ehh-ing me out but I find myself digging its charm, the darkness and humor. Like the battle quips or the suicide jump, gets me every time.

First Boss
Damn you, Dark One!

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Had a little time to get started tonight. Mostly just long enough to try out the battle system and such. Hopefully some time soon I'll get a more substantial session in.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game does have an odd charm to it. Not gonna lie going back to such an old school game was kind of.. ehh-ing me out but I find myself digging its charm, the darkness and humor. Like the battle quips or the suicide jump, gets me every time.
The battle quips are amazing. Seriously it's one of my favorite parts of the game. They're so over the top, it really sells the image of a bunch of burly mythical Greek guys flailing around and beating the shit out of everything they come across lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's certainly a weird way to start a game

Edit:
It just took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get out of the bed in the first Inn.
I don't.....I feel like I should lie down a bit in real life

Last edited:

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really dumb question but how do I patch the ROM file? I downloaded the patch from the link here but I haven't done this kind of thing before.

Edit: Nevermind! I was able to figure it out with Google. Now it is successfully patched and loaded up, ready to go!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is most certainly an early era SNES jRPG.
I just reached
Sparta
and exploration is painfully slow. I love how so far the game constantly has you jump or fall down from some height. It's so stupid

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a cool initiative, i'll jump in this weekend since got a lot work projects to wrap up :/

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I played for a little more. So far it seems cross-dressing and jumping off of high heights are consistent themes.

youdontsayidom5.png

You don't say?

poison6go01.png

Stock up on antidotes!

It's a little annoying you have to buy/sell items individually. I've already ran out of space in my inventory, so we'll see how this burying mechanic works out.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really struggling to stay engaged with this. The combat is too easy and basic. You only really control 1 character and you only have 1 action to take. You can technically order your party members around but at least at where I'm at in the game I don't have enough trust so they ignore my orders. I'll try to keep trucking with it but if it doesn't drastically change up soon I'm going to have to tap out of this one.