• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
So the dungeon with poison, pure annoyance. Though tbh, that's my reaction to every poison level on every game I've ever played. Just a game mechanic I can do without
Buy 3 or 4 antidotes, it should be enough. They are dropped by monsters and there's another one in a chest inside the dungeon. Also, you probably have noticed but poison does nothing during battles so you don't have to hurry to heal it.

Oct 25, 2017
Buy 3 or 4 antidotes, it should be enough. They are dropped by monsters and there's another one in a chest inside the dungeon. Also, you probably have noticed but poison does nothing during battles so you don't have to hurry to heal it.

In fact, you can't heal it in battle since the game won't let you use an antidote then.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the poison dungeon, your squad automatically leaves when you beat the boss too, so definitely explore the place thoroughly before fighting him.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
And done!
I won't talk much about the story and ending before others finish the game, but they really hit something for me.
Can't wait to read impressions, with hopefully one, or more - let's be optimistic - of you sharing a similar sentiment and discovering a new favorite.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
And done!
I won't talk much about the story and ending before others finish the game, but they really hit something for me.
Can't wait to read impressions, with hopefully one, or more - let's be optimistic - of you sharing a similar sentiment and discovering a new favorite.

What was your final play time?

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Got the game working.

I'm at the cave by sparta.

Annoying to say the least.

Not the poison, mind you...but the damn spiders. No way to kill them before they summon more damn spiders! Argh!

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the game working.

I'm at the cave by sparta.

Annoying to say the least.

Not the poison, mind you...but the damn spiders. No way to kill them before they summon more damn spiders! Argh!
I swear I had one of them end up turning into like 7 in one battle. At least they're pushovers though so it's basically just free XP. I don't think they can poison you either which would be frustrating.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
It took me two hits to kill one, but it got bad to the point there were 6 of them and every 1 I killed, they would bring them back so I had to flee. There was no end. No way I could win. Was pissed.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ok.

Got my third character. I guess he's important because of his name.

Though I think he is supposed to be someone else.

Naming right, perhaps?

Wandering around, now that monsters are giving out good exp I may grind a bit. Still wish I had an aoe attack.

shmupjunkie

Oct 27, 2017
It took me two hits to kill one, but it got bad to the point there were 6 of them and every 1 I killed, they would bring them back so I had to flee. There was no end. No way I could win. Was pissed.

Haha, I hit this exact situation after the soldiers left me. Figured I hit critical mass with the spiders and every turn at least 3 of the 5 that were there were trying to summon.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Look what showed up in the mail...

img_20180130_210351x4pbd.jpg

img_20180130_210414pbqtt.jpg

I've been busy lately, but I'm still working my way through it.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Really are...I love the couple that I have. Still don't have my Heracles :(. Took forever to ship it... (It won't come in that nice box either)

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still plan to get to this, but I had other obligations come up. We still don't have some sort of target end date, do we?

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still plan to get to this, but I had other obligations come up. We still don't have some sort of target end date, do we?

More a "target end time frame" of mid-Feb, but for a specific date...maybe we could just tentatively say the 19th of Feb? Around that point we'll start brainstorming what to play next.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
More a "target end time frame" of mid-Feb, but for a specific date...maybe we could just tentatively say the 19th of Feb? Around that point we'll start brainstorming what to play next.
That's what I mean yeah. Perhaps a little weird but having a sort of 'deadline' might entice me to get to this sooner rather than later :P. Obviously there's no harm in finishing "late" or whatever, but just as a sort of soft target date.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these innkeepers are way too enthusiastic about their jobs.

Also, I'm finding it difficult to beat the Dark One when I face him at Troy. I wonder if I'm underlevelled.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit today (I'm in Knossos and out of the sewer). It is distressing watching your companions lose HP and have members of their horde die. I'm enjoying the goofiness so far, but haven't, obviously, gotten too far in. I got it just as I got to the final dungeon in SMT1 and was also approaching the end of FFIV :P, so it might be slow going in the beginning.

I thought it was interesting that they did the whole ship to Knossos to be sacrificed thing but didn't just make it about the Minotaur (and the victims aren't told they'll be victims or shipped off from Athens). I'm guessing they are intentionally playing on that association?

Also, a "lost" immortal on Crete makes me think of Zeus's childhood, but again, vaguely.

Save points should be heads on boxes with a phallus, like the Hermes statues in Athens, clearly :P. Missed opportunity as far as Hermes statues go.

(And it looks like I have the translation Aeana doesn't recommend :( Oh well.)

(It is also strange thinking about Crete wrt the question of when it became Greek rather than exporting its culture and exerting its power (to some extent) in Greece. I love thinking of Europe before the Europeans (i.e. indo-european speakers, although really, language changes don't always change the population)

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I got the point where it really opens up. The Eye of the Gods is a really useful item too, especially to make sure you know where you're going to in order to avoid needless encounters.

nagal4upk.png

The Naga almost did me in. She managed to confuse two of my party, which was almost disastrous.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ugh.

Im cursed.

Well two people were cursed and I only had 1 dew drop.

This is bad.

Fights have become a lot more annoying. I need to get this crap off.

Next time I'll r3set my game if I equip a cursed item. It's not worth it.

Also I need more party members. 3 peeps in Persia ain't cutting it.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I started this game last night. I'm still on the first island...I need to go find the shrine before I leave. It's charming so far. Simple, but I like it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.

Im cursed.

Well two people were cursed and I only had 1 dew drop.

This is bad.

Fights have become a lot more annoying. I need to get this crap off.

Next time I'll r3set my game if I equip a cursed item. It's not worth it.

Also I need more party members. 3 peeps in Persia ain't cutting it.
A lot of status effects in general are pretty nasty in this game. Like basically a kiss of death unless you cure them quickly.

It doesn't end up being too much of an issue though since you usually have decent options for handling them.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"I'm the local slave trader. Of course I'm not very popular."
"Well, that's the problem of slavery handled!" - The King
"The king has abolished slavery, because uh, everyone's made equal!"

These are slightly paraphrased, but this game is hilarious, intentionally so. At least the translation is.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm stuck, possibly. So about the blocked mountain path:
I took the immortal from the cave(Themis?) to the boulder and he said he would clear it but it would take some time. I went all the way back to Driskos. I'm just wondering if going back it will be cleared or there's something else to be done. The townspeople still say its blocked.

shmupjunkie

Oct 27, 2017
Where's the midpoint spot on this game? I feel like I should be getting pretty close to it, just made it to Bengaji last night and explored around the continent in apparently the wrong direction.

Oct 25, 2017
What level were you while attempting this?

Level 13. Guess I'll need to do some grinding.

I'm stuck, possibly. So about the blocked mountain path:
I took the immortal from the cave(Themis?) to the boulder and he said he would clear it but it would take some time. I went all the way back to Driskos. I'm just wondering if going back it will be cleared or there's something else to be done. The townspeople still say its blocked.

I just left the area and immediately reentered, and it was already clear.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
"I want to climb this ladder, but my legs are petrified" says RPG sprite as he "dances" like any good sprite would.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I just beat the Dark One at lvl 15 and it was a breeze. I'd just make sure everybody has upgraded armor and weapons, you shouldn't have to work too much to beat him.

I think I just had bad luck the first time. He wasted a lot more turns trying to suck my party in the second time, as compared to just hitting hard twice in a single round over and over.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
The female soldier thing was a nice touch, if hyperbole (which is perfectly fine and expected in this sort of content imo). Classical Sparta did educate women, including physical education.

There are other things they could have done playing on Sparta's reputation. They could've made them laconic, for example, but they're pretty expressive and long winded imo. IDK. I think they could've done humor with making them all terse. Could've also done humor with Spartan motherhood/wife stereotypes, e.g. "come back with your shield or on it."

I think those are stereotypes of Sparta that we carry down to our own time and also present in classical Greek texts. I think they could've played with them. Maybe they still will!

Speaking of laconic, I thought you all were talking about Sparta when you talked about Laconia; was surprised to find it a specific town rather than a region. I mean the town still is associated with Sparta, so okay, but not what I was expecting. Glad that they in general showed Sparta throwing their weight around in the region.

A translation nitpick perhaps (and I'm playing the earlier one, not the recommended one, sadly) but the Athenians calling the Spartans barbarians is kind of weird, given that the term is explicitly about language and both speak a variety of Greek. But I guess the Athenians were being presented as being oddly crazy at the time or something.

Also a bit strange that slavery isn't being brought up in Sparta of all places, if it is going to be brought up.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where's the midpoint spot on this game? I feel like I should be getting pretty close to it, just made it to Bengaji last night and explored around the continent in apparently the wrong direction.
I played quite a bit farther and things are still opening up.
I just found some special horses...
and fell from the heavens to the foot of Mt. Olympos. Now I can directly call a God and maybe I'll get Heracles back soon??
The story continues to be simple but fun for me. I'm having a good time so far.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
My hero died to the boss in the cave south of Sparta but the soldiers killed it in a turn or two thereafter. He could have killed me in two shots at any point if he got before my heal and targeted me two turns in a row and he finally did such there at the end. Getting out of the cave was interesting without the soldiers and I finally succumbed at the exit itself :P.

IDK it was a large sum of experience I'm guessing I missed out on...

Bit disappointed that the map doesn't mimic the shape of Greece (It has such a marvelous shape). Crete was obviously weirdly shaped but I was holding out on continental Greece looking like Greece.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Oh selling stuff now I see that one of the items I picked up in that cave was an escape dungeon sort of item lol. Should've checked that when I got it.

Got through Athens. I'm enjoy the goofy tone of the game; just wish it played more with Greek myths and tropes about places and people. I don't really care that the game is a-historic or anachronistic but...I do wish the voice played a bit more with the subject matter. I think it could do that and remain its own thing.

I appreciate that Athens was built up wrt the arts and just in general, but that was pretty much the entirety of the Athenian feel of the city. I think they could've easily done humor with, say, rhetoricians and sophists or have made the slavery story about the navy (the collapse of the Athenian navy of paid rowers in favor of enslaved rowers being a big deal in the later years of the Peloponesian war).

They could've also just put the temple to Athena on a hill or something. Or they could've twisted and incorporated the long wall in the story of a divided city. Things like that would make it look more like Athens and touch on famous qualities of the city.

The game does seem to put Athens forward as the "capitol" of Greece, which is odd but at the same time it doesn't really seem that it exerts control over the other cities I've been to so far, so it doesn't hold itself very firmly to that.

I've been to three shrines now, Demeter, Hera, and Athena. Hopefully I'm not missing any :P.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
A couple more thoughts:

-I can really see FF7 is the focus here on the plight of the poor, and the comedic treatment of that. The slavery content in the game reminds me a lot of FF7.
-The Dark One made me think of Sin
-I think it is cool how you can heal back up after battle because of the immortality angle. It is a neat touch.
-I like the use of falling in dungeons to change the shape of floors on entrance versus exit.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ok. Got 5 characters again. Definitely got a ff4 feeling with the party members constantly getting swapped.

Got my flying mobile. Called it before I started playing. Nailed it.

I gotta save the world! I think I'm nearing the end.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm definitely near the finish...pretty dark subject matter treated very comedically at the moment. I'm pretty surprised at the last twist the story took. I wouldn't have made it this far without a walkthrough though. Too many places you have to go in the second half with zero direction. This last area I'm in would definitely never have been found by me on a normal timetable. When I was a kid that sort of thing was okay. Nowadays I just want to make constant progress, at least KNOW what to do next and go slow only if I choose to. I'll finish tomorrow.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
After spending some more time with this game it is growing on me more. The comedic moments are very typical for the time, especially when dealing with some potentially touchy subject matter.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How much would you guys rate this game?
Using the full scale, I would rate it 6/10. The combat and dungeons are nothing special, though they are slightly more interesting in the second half. The game is very easy 90% of the time which makes it appealing to push forward to the next new city/plot development. The second half of the game has many encounters with Gods and larger than life occurrences which have made playing to the end interesting.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ok. I'm definitely at the end now. Hit a point of no return scenario.

Before I jump in, is there a place for end game fear? Any stores selling better gear now?

Edit: oh and silver rings give you two attacks if you use it as an item. This was a lifesaver for one particular boss. I'd suggest having one handy at all times.

Last edited:

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Using the full scale, I would rate it 6/10. The combat and dungeons are nothing special, though they are slightly more interesting in the second half. The game is very easy 90% of the time which makes it appealing to push forward to the next new city/plot development. The second half of the game has many encounters with Gods and larger than life occurrences which have made playing to the end interesting.
Thanks for the honest review!

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Bit lost picking this up after Therma...I've found a chasm and a hut to the northeast, a broken slope to the northwest, and I've been back to Gortyn because I remember some of the freed slaves were from Crete. I'm guessing I'm missing something in the northeast expanse.

Oct 25, 2017
Bit lost picking this up after Therma...I've found a chasm and a hut to the northeast, a broken slope to the northwest, and I've been back to Gortyn because I remember some of the freed slaves were from Crete. I'm guessing I'm missing something in the northeast expanse.

Did you get to Hermes' temple? If so, then yeah, you need to head northeast.