• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
As the thread is moving again, do people know where the saves are filed? I think my productivity would improve if I moved it to my laptop. Might just restart if I can't find them as I never got particularly far as could be observed in my posts :P.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so i changed to 1600:900 and scaling to 4, and while the graphics look good now, the mouse movement is still completely screwed up.

And how do i change the music? It just says in the "in-game menu", but i cant seem to enter any "in-game menu" in the game?

Edit: Says it should be entered by pressing "esc" but that does nothing in-game here.

Something is definitely wrong with your install ESC will bring up a menu to adjust various settings.

For the mouse toggle the mouse setting in the menu (if you can access it).

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Picked it up again and a guard helped me kill a bandit out near Skara Brae, which netted me better armor. Managed to get past those highway men on the road I was curious about with it.

Edit: and that road did lead to Minoc. Well in a couple short minutes of playing my troubles of the last couple sessions completely evaporate...

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Minoc was strange--the mine in particular. Not sure what that foreman is trying to accomplish with his workers there and, despite what he said, the machines seemed to turn on.

I was glad to go back to Paws as I was running out of food. Also paints a pretty clear picture of what happened in Trinsic, with the pattern of the crown jewel's movements and who happens to also be making those same movements. (Not that there was much doubt lol).

I think I found the cave west of Trinsic Batlin wanted me to explore but don't think I found the right chest--the one I found had a ring of invisibility in it, not any fellowship medallions.

Don't really know how to further explore the cave. There is another set of chambers and I can see the dragons rampaging over there but I cannot find a connecting passage. I also do not know what it is about the floor that is hurting my party, but they keep yelling "ouch" and fainting after a while :P.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Don't really know how to further explore the cave. There is another set of chambers and I can see the dragons rampaging over there but I cannot find a connecting passage. I also do not know what it is about the floor that is hurting my party, but they keep yelling "ouch" and fainting after a while :P.
It's probably invisible caltrops, they're really troll-y. You can see them if you look closely, they're transparent white/gray.

There's two entrances to that dungeon,
one of them by the unicorn and another one somewhere farther north that leads to all the dragon fighting and fellowship chest
. Make sure you're well equipped and ready to heal at a moment's notice.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I have the game up and running, and i have music. Since i never played the original, I dont really know it its the right one, but it started turned off, and i turned it on in the menu in the game, so i guess i did what was said in the opening post. The graphics also looks really good now in my opinion, even though the game screen doesnt take up the whole screen for scaling issues.

But about the gameplay, ive never played this before, so i have some questions. First, is movement supposed to be so sluggish? The scrolling feels really unsmooth when walking, might be just how the game was made, but also might have to do with my install?

Also, on the character screen i understand most of the stuff - except the thing in the botton left. There are two icons here you can click on, one looks like different formations or something, the other seems is either a sword or something more peaceful. What do they do? Or should i not know that? I skimmed throught three of the included manuals, but they seemed to only be about lore, and not about how to play the game, so figured it would be better to ask here.

Anyways, i gotta say i love the graphics and atmosphere in the game so far, even though ive only just started. Really looking forward to play it more!

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably invisible caltrops, they're really troll-y. You can see them if you look closely, they're transparent white/gray.

There's two entrances to that dungeon,
one of them by the unicorn and another one somewhere farther north that leads to all the dragon fighting and fellowship chest
. Make sure you're well equipped and ready to heal at a moment's notice.
Thanks!

(I don't even know how to heal lol. Guessing I need to crack open that spell book and buy some reagents...)

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I have the game up and running, and i have music. Since i never played the original, I dont really know it its the right one, but it started turned off, and i turned it on in the menu in the game, so i guess i did what was said in the opening post. The graphics also looks really good now in my opinion, even though the game screen doesnt take up the whole screen for scaling issues.

But about the gameplay, ive never played this before, so i have some questions. First, is movement supposed to be so sluggish? The scrolling feels really unsmooth when walking, might be just how the game was made, but also might have to do with my install?

Also, on the character screen i understand most of the stuff - except the thing in the botton left. There are two icons here you can click on, one looks like different formations or something, the other seems is either a sword or something more peaceful. What do they do? Or should i not know that? I skimmed throught three of the included manuals, but they seemed to only be about lore, and not about how to play the game, so figured it would be better to ask here.

Anyways, i gotta say i love the graphics and atmosphere in the game so far, even though ive only just started. Really looking forward to play it more!

The game can certainly be sluggish, especially at its default settings. Go into options and boost smooth scrolling to 100%. Also, do you have GSync? There is a bug (at least for my setup) where Gsync can keep framerates at 30fps and below. Disabling GSYnc gives me a 140+ fps and the game is pretty much as smooth as it can possibly be.

The formation icon doesn't work IIRC in Exult so I wouldn't worry about it. The sword/dove is a combat toggle but its easier to just hit 'C' on your keyboard.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
As the thread is moving again, do people know where the saves are filed? I think my productivity would improve if I moved it to my laptop. Might just restart if I can't find them as I never got particularly far as could be observed in my posts :P.

If you're using Exult, the saves are here.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Exult\blackgate

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
The game can certainly be sluggish, especially at its default settings. Go into options and boost smooth scrolling to 100%. Also, do you have GSync? There is a bug (at least for my setup) where Gsync can keep framerates at 30fps and below. Disabling GSYnc gives me a 140+ fps and the game is pretty much as smooth as it can possibly be.

The formation icon doesn't work IIRC in Exult so I wouldn't worry about it. The sword/dove is a combat toggle but its easier to just hit 'C' on your keyboard.

Thanks, i'll check this out when i get home.

As expected, i am using a ton of time getting this to work properly, but just wandering around the opening city a bit makes me dead set on playing this game. Looks freaking amazing - and i have no idea how a lover of early 90s gaming like me have never played it before.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought I could just read the obvious plaques, but seems I can read all the headstones?

I thought I'd visit Yew before heading east to get my ship (I just got formally inducted into the fellowship :( last time I played) and try and look for information on that Covite girl's dad.

Not sure I'm even in Yew tbh. Visited Iolo's home again and a couple other places in the woods but no one seemed to be able to discuss him so...I ended up at this Abbey.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well, glanced at all (I think :P) the tomb stones and didn't recognize Julius's name on any (I wrote out what it would look like in the runes and just compared that, i.e. I didn't read them :P). I met some monkeys that refused to talk to me and came across some ruins with a couple books but never heard about Julius. Also saw the shrine of Justice. In any case, I think I'm just going to get the ship.

Edit: Also, at some point it seems Onslow lost his pants (I named the Avatar after the Onslow in Keeping up Appearances just because that was the first British man that came to mind to go with Britania).

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Vesper is an awful place. I'm surprised they went all-in with the town folk. Usually when those sort of attitudes are portrayed it is more the "bad apple" approach I feel but here everyone was a paranoid racist.

I was hoping I would sail on a world map :P. I'm lost at sea now lol.

Edit: Okay, I called up a map and got my bearings but...how do I dock this thing :P? I'm at a pier. I've tried taking the anchor from the hold and throwing it overboard (into the sea) and just lining the ship up but...I can't make landfall.

Edit: Figured it out. Had to click on the side of the boat to extend a staircase.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
So uh, I'm right near the end of the game and I'm worried either something bugged out because I did the later half of the main quest seemingly out of order, or I'm missing something.
I have the big key and the 3 generator prisms. I'm looking for the Black Gate and Elizabeth and Abraham on Avatar Isle. I found an area where there's statues blocking saying "You're not on a sacred quest", I can't get through. Found the Guardian's throne and the rooms connected to it but they led nowhere.
Is there something else I'm supposed to do? Hint would be great.

Last edited:

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
So uh, I'm right near the end of the game and I'm worried either something bugged out because I did the later half of the main quest seemingly out of order, or I'm missing something.
I have the big key and the 3 generator prisms. I'm looking for the Black Gate and Elizabeth and Abraham on Avatar Isle. I found an area where there's statues blocking saying "You're not on a sacred quest", I can't get through. Found the Guardian's throne and the rooms connected to it but they led nowhere.
Is there something else I'm supposed to do? Hint would be great.

Do you have Rudyom's Wand? I sure hope so, because you're gonna need it. Anyway, most of the Isle of the Avatar is standard Ultima shenanigans: You move stuff around until you find switches, you walk into walls until you find the ones that are fake, and you cast Dispel Field when necessary. Sit on regular sized thrones when you find them. I think the sacred quest thing is a dumb optional thing added in Exult that isn't actually helpful and doesn't mean anything to people who didn't play Ultima VI.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello all! I've just now gotten a chance to read through the last few pages, in particular I enjoyed reading blakdeth 's final impressions and the conversation about how U7 kind of "fits" in the context of gaming as a whole nowadays, when you factor in both its strengths and its weaknesses.

For instance - in a modern era where vast, AAA RPG productions like The Witcher 3 exist, does Ultima 7 still serve a unique function? Or is it essentially just a historical piece? Especially factoring in some of its issues in terms of combat and party mechanics, which admittedly aren't great and also weren't considered great even much closer to when it initially released.

Rather than just write a wall of text, I'd like to pick at a few quotes from the conversation:
For good or ill, the Ultima series has never been afraid to push the boundaries of CRPGs technologically and narratively. Ultima VII: The Black Gate is no different. I found Britannia larger, more immersive, and more colorful than ever. NPCs go about their daily lives, each with their own unique script and dialogue. The field of view encompasses the entire screen, eschewing the myriad of status screens found in older entries to the series. Nearly every object in the game can be intuitively manipulated in some way. Now, more than ever, Britannia feels like a living world in which I could sit back and watch the lives of its citizens play out.
I think most people would agree that, in a nutshell, this is Ultima 7's biggest merit. Though technology inevitably marches on (and has marched on quite a bit considering the game is now more than 25 years old), the fact that U7's world still impresses, to this day, is a testament to how ambitious a project it was in terms of scope and game design. If there is any takeaway here, it's that from a historical perspective, there is absolutely no question that U7 is a landmark title both for RPGs and for the industry as a whole. Anyone feel free to disagree, but I'd argue that up to the point where U7 released, there simply was not anything comparable in terms of scope, worldbuilding, or world simulation, and I'd even argue that an entire decade passed before this kind of scope in world design was matched again (Morrowind - and by the way, I think Morrowind would be a good choice to play through at some point, it's very underappreciated nowadays considering it's the best entry in arguably the most "flagship" WRPG series in the industry).

But setting aside that kind of historical merit that U7 has, I'd argue that there are ways in which U7's world remains top-of-the-line compared to its modern successors, even to this day:

World-building that is both persistent and thematically meaningful
. This is something that modern WRPGs have also become increasingly adept at, but I think Ultima is still, to this day, the best example of creating a static, unchanging game world and then developing that world gradually over the course of many games, according to the specific thematic ambitions of those games. Part of what makes the Ultima series so exceptional in this respect is that Britannia doesn't just serve as a consistent setting; it serves as a "character" of its own that changes in meaningful ways as the series progresses, reflecting the changing ideals or philosophical beliefs of its inhabitants.

Coming from Ultima 4-6 to Ultima 7, for instance, we get a real sense that Britannia has "modernized" to an extent; it's one thing to say that the Avatar has been gone hundreds of years, but its another thing to see how the world has grown and advanced, even purely in terms of the graphics and the simulation tech that powers it (representation of a developing society through progressively more advanced graphics and technology is something pretty much only the Ultima series has done, though it's largely just a consequence of how much of a long-runner the series is).

The way that the Brotherhood has spread throughout Britannian society at large is also particularly meaningful for people coming directly from the previous Ultima games. There is something mildly unsettling, or perhaps even melancholy, about returning to a world in which you were essentially the prophet of a traditional religion, only to find that that faith has been replaced with pervasive, new-age fluff that ostensibly serves as worldwide communal glue, but is really a corrupted, insidious front for a foreign tyrant. When one considers the very strong implications in the game that the Brotherhood should be read as an allegory for Electronic Arts and its corporate power-mongering at the industry's expense, Ultima 7's Britannia becomes a very strange place to explore; it is a vast, functional society in which people abide by their daily schedules, and in which there is a prevailing atmosphere of peace - but beneath that veneer is a distinct sense of dread, if only because we know that the home-grown religion of the Avatar has been replaced with a cheap, manipulative cult that is actively scheming to oppress and subjugate the world with a smile and a shepherd's cane.

Despite the still vaguely-medieval setting, the Britannia of U7 thus feels very modern in that respect; it is a world in which, rather than dictators tyrannizing society like in Ultima 5, evil has instead been institutionalized as what is effectively a "mega corporation" that pervades every aspect of Britannian life, and espouses peace, love, and "connecting" society together while being literally cartoonishly greedy and self-serving once that veneer of respectability is stripped off. I think the parallels to modern society, and even to events occurring in just the last month or so, are quite clear. And for someone playing U7 in the context of the Ultima series as a whole, there is a real sense of how the game conveys those themes through depicting Britannia in this way - impressively complex, vast and interconnected, with people milling about their daily business, but ultimately teetering right on the edge of disaster. I'd argue that one of the biggest reasons the game can convey that atmosphere and those themes so effectively is precisely because there is the context of what Britannia was like in the earlier games, particularly 4-6.
It really does feel more like a walk and talk adventure a lot of the time, rather than a CRPG with all elements in equal tune.
This is definitely true as well. For all its complexity in world simulation, it is very barebones in terms of combat mechanics and character progression. Like CrichtonKicks and several others have noted, the game was kind of underwhelming in that respect even when it first released, let alone in 2018.

I can't excuse those flaws, and really I don't have any desire to since they're also my biggest complaints about the game. Maybe even about the series as a whole. Frankly I don't think any of them had particularly compelling combat, though the grid-based combat in the earlier games could be fun in its own way.

I think with Ultima though - including Ultima 7 - it's important to keep in mind that, despite how it seems nowadays, there were always different kinds of CRPGs, rooted in the fact that there were different kinds of Dungeon Masters who ran vastly different D&D campaigns depending on their personal preferences. Nowadays I think there is a tendency to think of CRPGs as ideally mechanics-heavy, especially in terms of combat, when that's really just one option. The other is the "walk and talk adventure," which seems reductive at first, but ultimately can end up being beneficial because it allows you to focus on the world rather than on yourself. It's true that the character progression in U7 is lacking, but personally I think it kind of works because it discourages you from doing things like micromanaging builds (like you would in Wizardry for instance) and instead put your attention elsewhere. I think of it as the kind of tabletop campaign where the DM is more focused on worldbuilding and developing the story, where an entire session goes by and not a single die was rolled. It's mechanics-lite in order to focus on being atmosphere- and theme-rich.

Again, that's not really a justification for what's admittedly quite poor moment-to-moment gameplay compared to many other landmark RPGs. But I think it is a mitigating perspective that gives U7 the proper deference to what its trying to accomplish, even if it overall bungles the execution somewhat by requiring too much combat given the limited tools you have available (I agree with the_wart that, at the very least, more automation would've been appreciated).

Anyway, this post is long enough so I'll stop there, but I hope the decent chunk of people still playing through it like MoonFrog and Morfeo continue to post impressions/questions. The next post will cover more of the logistics side of things.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now, in regards to the next game - I think it'd be a good idea to start those discussions this weekend, though it'll probably take like a week or so do the whole process and figure out what's next. So I'd say that leaves roughly 1.5-2 weeks before we "cycle" to the next RPG, though of course this thread will still be active and we'll still be posting in here as well. RPGs, more than maybe any other single genre/medium of entertainment, are slow-burns and can be hard to fit into an adult schedule (I know I had a lot of difficulty getting any gaming done in March, let alone RPG gaming). So I emphasize that the club technically "cycling" to the next game isn't a hard cut-off by any means. Hell I'm still actively playing through Heracles III, lol. It's just that it's been a rough March in terms of time commitments. The only game I beat last month was Thumper, which was like 5 hours long.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit weird, but I was actually quite impressed with the combat in this game. Taken on its own it's objectively not any good, but it works quite well in the context of the game. Ultima VII clearly isn't a game that's focused on the combat, much like a lot of other great RPGs (e. g. Planescape Torment, Morrowind, Arcanum, Sunless Sea, Alpha Protocol), and when you compare it to those other RPGs, its combat is shockingly good. Planescape's and Sunless Sea's combat is a massive annoyance that takes far too long, Arcanum's is the most broken mess in RPG history, Alpha Protocol is a bad third person shooter, and I'd rather not talk about Morrowind.

But in Ultima VII the combat is ... fine? You see an enemy, click the enter combat button, wait 10 seconds, and you're done. It's not good, but it's inoffensive, quick, and painless. It manages to serve it's purpose (locking you out of harder areas until you get stronger, giving a sense of danger to the world, and giving meaning to the RPG mechanics) without detracting from the other parts of the game. This is something a lot of games that aren't focused on the combat really struggle with (it's not strictly limited to RPGs either - Paradox grand strategy games are also a good example of this), but Ultima VII manages to pull it off pretty well.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone feel free to disagree, but I'd argue that up to the point where U7 released, there simply was not anything comparable in terms of scope, worldbuilding, or world simulation, and I'd even argue that an entire decade passed before this kind of scope in world design was matched again (Morrowind - and by the way, I think Morrowind would be a good choice to play through at some point, it's very underappreciated nowadays considering it's the best entry in arguably the most "flagship" WRPG series in the industry).

While largely true, I think that Daggerfall exceeded even U7 in scope. Daggerfall is a deeply, deeply flawed game (and extraordinarily buggy at the time of release) but it's scope was absolutely insane not only for 1996 but still remains probably one of the most ambitious games of all time. Morrowind would kind of refine the Elder Scrolls formula into something much more manageable and would be the true template that ES would iterate from.

I would also say that Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, and even Arcanum are also comparable to U7 in most of the areas that you mentioned. Each title is lacking in one of the criteria you cite (chiefly world simulation) but they each bring something else to the table to compensate. Particularly Fallout with its choice and consequences and ability to role play in non-combat scenarios. As you note, U7 is pretty much always strongest in its non-combat moments and the Ultima series would have really benefited from a character system akin to SPECIAL.

I also think that Gothic deserves special mention- it did so much of what U7 did (NPC schedules, great reactive world), in a full 3D environment and beat Morrowind to the punch by a full year.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I would also say that Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, and even Arcanum are also comparable to U7 in most of the areas that you mentioned.

I disagree with this. Ultima VII's Brittania feels coherent in that many different elements of the world have consistent relationships with each other that exist totally independently from the player character. Baldur's Gate 2 is the total opposite (and I think this is mostly just a Forgotten Realms thing) in that it is basically a theme park where everything is clearly there solely to entertain and exite the player. And even in Fallout 2, though it has great world building, there's not much in the way of incidental detail that doesn't directly drive some quest line for the player. You don't see the kind of ambient NPC activity and relationship networks you have in Ultima VII, where characters go to the inn for dinner after work and gossip about each other, not for any quest purposes but just because that's what people do.

As someone who played Ultima VII, Fallouts 1&2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, and Gothic 1 for the first time just in the last few years (I had a Mac growing up...), Ultima VII really did feel like it stood apart from the rest pretty dramatically, though Gothic 1 chapter 1 is probably the closest.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have Rudyom's Wand? I sure hope so, because you're gonna need it. Anyway, most of the Isle of the Avatar is standard Ultima shenanigans: You move stuff around until you find switches, you walk into walls until you find the ones that are fake, and you cast Dispel Field when necessary. Sit on regular sized thrones when you find them. I think the sacred quest thing is a dumb optional thing added in Exult that isn't actually helpful and doesn't mean anything to people who didn't play Ultima VI.
I do have it, yeah. Thanks a ton for the tip, I'll keep looking. The Isle is big with patches of land here and there, so it's kind of a pain to fly around and explore.

I was worried because I kept feeling like I was sequence breaking:
After getting all 3 generators Time Lord acted like I hadn't gotten the cube one, and I did all of Bucaneer's Den and the secret caves there well before coming to him so he told me a bunch of stuff I basically already did. I also did all of Skara Brae before meeting Alagner.
I think I was just expecting too much when it comes to continuity, that kind of stuff happens fairly often after all (not knocking it too hard for that, it's a '92 game and understandable). I just wasn't used to seeing it with the main quest and so much at once.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with this. Ultima VII's Brittania feels coherent in that many different elements of the world have consistent relationships with each other that exist totally independently from the player character. Baldur's Gate 2 is the total opposite (and I think this is mostly just a Forgotten Realms thing) in that it is basically a theme park where everything is clearly there solely to entertain and exite the player. And even in Fallout 2, though it has great world building, there's not much in the way of incidental detail that doesn't directly drive some quest line for the player. You don't see the kind of ambient NPC activity and relationship networks you have in Ultima VII, where characters go to the inn for dinner after work and gossip about each other, not for any quest purposes but just because that's what people do.

The NPC schedules thing is absolutely revolutionary and, unfortunately, something that hasn't been picked up more often in CRPGs. But I think each of my examples makes up for that lack in other areas. Fallout, for example, more than makes up for that aspect (IMO) with the ability to interact in a non-violent manner with various quest solutions. That level of choice and consequence, built out of an RPG character stat system, just isn't present in any Ultima game. BG does take the opposite approach but its equally valid because they leverage the huge licensed FR setting to put a huge game on what is ultimately a tiny part of the overall world where so much of the history and cultures are totally independent of the actual plot of the game. And Baldur's Gate itself (the city) trumped Brittania as probably the best realized "complete" city in an RPG until Novigrad in The Witcher 3 seventeen years later.

As someone who played Ultima VII, Fallouts 1&2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, and Gothic 1 for the first time just in the last few years (I had a Mac growing up...), Ultima VII really did feel like it stood apart from the rest pretty dramatically, though Gothic 1 chapter 1 is probably the closest.

I do wish Gothic got more love. I think one of the reasons that U7 feels so fresh is because there are so few franchises that cite Ultima as a direct source. Elder Scrolls is obviously hugely influenced by Ultima but most of the ES copycats don't seem to acknowledge or try to build on original legacy of the Ultima games. While there is a clear link from Daggerfall and Morrowind to Ultima most people aren't really aware of it. It's really only Piranha Bytes and Larian that have been carrying the Ultima torch.

In fact Ultima might be one of the biggest examples of a franchise that at one time was a giant blockbuster that is now largely forgotten. An Ultima release through U7 was basically the equivalent of a Elder Scrolls release now (ie the CRPG event of the year) but you barely hear anything about the franchise anymore. Meanwhile the notable CRPGs of the late 90s and early 00s are still widely acknowledged and discussed today.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Welp I beat it, last dungeon was a real doozy -
Throne of Change part drove me a little nuts.
Also kinda disappointed
in no Guardian fight
at the very end, but maybe that's a blessing in disguise.

I enjoyed the game but it admittedly wore me out a bit, although that's kind of my fault for doing so much side stuff before the main quest. I enjoyed it overall and was glad to experience such an influential game. Don't think I'll play Serpent's Isle, but I'm very interesting in playing the Stygian Abyss. Hopefully it's on the docket at some point for the RPG club.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so i tried getting exult to work a month ago, but had a tons of problems. Reinstalled it, shiftet to full screen and then changed resolution - and now it works lol. So i can finally start the game. Playing the original Warcraft right now, so probably wont start it in a week, but definitely going to test it now after all this. Thanks for the help people!