• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all arguing over silly things and didn't even ask a question.

Will digital devolver be there? Would they continue their story with the Direct?

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Compare it to the same list they had 3-4 years ago.

I'll wait.
E3 2007 - 1C Company, Activision, Akella, Atari, Atlus, Bethesda Softworks, Disney Interactive Studios, Capcom, Codemasters, Crave Entertainment, Eidos, Electronic Arts, Konami, LucasArts, Majesco, Microsoft, Midway, Namco Bandai Games, NCsoft, Nintendo, Sega, Sony Computer Entertainment, Sony Online Entertainment, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, THQ, Ubisoft, Vivendi Games, and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Not really missing a lot other than Sony.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably skip watching everything and just rely on the usual Era list outside of SE and Direct. Xbox is probably gonna be 3rd party and gamepass ad show anyway.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
E3 as a trade show is almost completely irrelevant and has been for a while, long before Sony decided to abstain. Most publishers are doing their own thing and feed everything directly to the media and online. E3 used to be a place where journalists gathered and eventually reported in written form, sometimes weeks after the show.

Even the timing of the show, in the middle of the year, doesn't make sense any more. Most publishers are holding back details on games, hardware, services etc till we are really close to the holiday season.

Edit: Hasn't the total exhibition area been dramatically decreased through the years as well?

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I really dont get why people are so down on E3 other than Sony not being there. Like there is still going to be a shit ton of news and games being shown. How much do you need for it to be worth wild?
This E3 is probably going to be better than last year because now they have actual gameplay to show and there is a console leap.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Let's be honest that's some pathetic list. I mean why doing it so early when you have nothing.

It's…pretty much all the major publishers save EA, Sony, and Activision. And EA and Activision will still probably have a presence at the Xbox show.

This forum seems to hate EA and Activision until they're not going to E3, and then suddenly they're must-haves who will be sorely missed. I'm not saying E3 is stronger than it's ever been — trade shows and expos in general have seen a decline since the rise of the internet, and will probably continue to do so — but it's not at all a "pathetic list" or "nothing." It's almost all the major players, still. It's fine.

This idea that nothing is ever "fine," that everything is either fantastic or pathetic, GOAT or garbage, is one of the things that makes having meaningful discourse about gaming challenging.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's…pretty much all the major publishers save EA, Sony, and Activision. And EA and Activision will still probably have a presence at the Xbox show.

This forum seems to hate EA and Activision until they're not going to E3, and then suddenly they're must-haves who will be sorely missed. I'm not saying E3 is stronger than it's ever been — trade shows and expos in general have seen a decline since the rise of the internet, and will probably continue to do so — but it's not at all a "pathetic list" or "nothing." It's almost all the major players, still. It's fine.

This idea that nothing is ever "fine," that everything is either fantastic or pathetic, GOAT or garbage, is one of the things that makes having meaningful discourse about gaming challenging.
By Xbox show do you mean the press conference because this list is regarding the show floor. I believe Xbox just had a mixr booth and I believe Activision wasn't there last year.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be one of the best E3s ever for the amount of hilarious/cringe inducing moments all these celebs, streamers etc gonna bring. Like Nintendo 08 all over again.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
E3 still gonna be pretty great this year it seems. People really overstating Sony's absence.

This could be its last great year though. Think it's too late for companies to change plans but will definitely consider after this one.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe. They don't like doing full reveals super far out typically. They also have other things to show like Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop.

Bethesda also really needs people to buy the next-gen consoles, though. They need the install base to be there for when Starfield does release (Q4 2021?). So I wouldn't be surprised to see them reveal it a little earlier than games like FO76, like at the Xbox Series X blowout. Same reason Square likes to reveal their next-gen FF alongside the new PlayStation unveiling. They want people to start upgrading ASAP.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If the list had Sony on it, this would be completely unremarkable. While it's obviously not ideal that Sony aren't attending, and E3 is absolutely declining in relevance the past few years, this looks like it's largely the same as last year.

Does this list include anyone who isn't on the show floor, but has their own event in the area? Microsoft have done this the past few years - they aren't technically "at" E3. EA weren't "at" E3 last year, but were putting on livestreamed shows outside the convention center.

Anyway, I hope the ESA finds a way to keep E3 relevant, because it's going to be a huge loss for the community if it goes away. Not because of the show floor itself, but because it's a week where the most of the industry's creative braintrust are in one place, which makes for some amazing interviews, panels, podcasts, etc. We will completely lose that if companies all turn to putting on their own events.

And of course, the communal experience of watching and laughing at some of the ridiculous press conference moments in the days and weeks afterward, is an annual ritual I'd miss.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
That's a pretty sad list.

giphy.gif

It's hilarious reading these awful hot takes.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Between Bamco (who is publishing Elden Ring), Capcom and Square Enix that's most of your big names covered. Well, at least for me, anyway. SEGA can also come up with surprises every now and then. Bethesda's still got DooM Eternal so their portfolio is pretty strong even though they've fucked up Fallout and are sitting on The Elder Scrolls. Don't care for most of what EA and Ubisoft publish so whether or not they attend is immaterial to me.

Not much has changed on my end. I don't respect the ESA given their apparent incompetence, but I'll still tune in to see what those big studios are churning out this time around. (Dragon's Dogma 2 please...!)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
E3 2007 - 1C Company, Activision, Akella, Atari, Atlus, Bethesda Softworks, Disney Interactive Studios, Capcom, Codemasters, Crave Entertainment, Eidos, Electronic Arts, Konami, LucasArts, Majesco, Microsoft, Midway, Namco Bandai Games, NCsoft, Nintendo, Sega, Sony Computer Entertainment, Sony Online Entertainment, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, THQ, Ubisoft, Vivendi Games, and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Not really missing a lot other than Sony.
Yeah most of those not attending from that list literally can't attend because they don't exist anymore.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Nothing contradictory about it. I can have publishers I like attending, but still think releasing a list of just 10 publishers attending E3, which used to be the BIGGEST VIDEO GAME EVENT OF THE YEAR™, is pretty damn sad.

It literally says major publishers. How any can conclude that's the final list based on that alone is beyond me.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Bethesda and Microsoft are the only shows I care about watching these days anyways.

Should actually be a good year for those two.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
As a gaming fan, the only publisher that's missing out is Sony, but there's plenty of developers around. As a console fan and tech fan, I'm sad that there won't be a PS5 reveal or showing us some guts on what the PS5 is. Overall though, E3 as a live show is falling flat more and more each year. Nintendo can showcase there Direct anywhere With or without E3 and fans would still watch it anytime. I think if Nintendo or Ms leaves E3 completely than that's the kiss of death. The last time Sony had a small or non-presence was the first E3.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably skip watching everything and just rely on the usual Era list outside of SE and Direct. Xbox is probably gonna be 3rd party and gamepass ad show anyway.
They will have plenty 1st party stuff to show. The Initiative, 343i, Playground RPG, Everwild, Obsidian RPG, Forza, Hellblade 2.

3rd party, they will have most major games on stage. I'm expecting a 2 hour event.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If Sony changed their minds tomorrow people would be losing their minds for E3 saying how awesome it would be

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
WB being mentioned stands out for me among those, were they there last year as well?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Third party and gamepass sounds amazing to me.

Especially as game pass means first party.

What did you want them to show, Sony games lol?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
WB being mentioned stands out for me among those, were they there last year as well?
Yes, they had the Lego game that they showed at the Xbox conference.

All the typical players are here (except Sony). I'm sure Konami, 1C, Paradox, Perfect World, Focus Home, the Embracer Group, BigBen, etc aren't skipping it either. The ESA just doesn't consider them "major" pubs.

Only notable and surprising absence is Activision, really. Guess the next CoD has a Sony marketing deal as well?

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
These days a very large portion of non-indie games in the market (and even a number of indies) are published and/or developed by these ten organizations, and a couple that aren't quite in the same tier as these ten might still be appearing as well. It could definitely be better but this seems ok to me as far as overall representation of the current (non-indie) gaming environment?

I can see publishers just sticking with E3 until it's just not worth it anymore and/or everyone's gotten used to marketing and promotion being done by directly feeding information to people through Youtube, Twitch, Twitter, etc.