• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
It would be impossible to review Mario Odyssey without making a political statement.

The game touches on Colonialism, Cultural Appropriation, the impact of Adventure Tourism on native populations and ecologies, Damsels in Distress, and many other highly political issues.

If you bring any of those issues up, positively or negatively, that's a political statement. If you don't bring any of those issues them up, that's still a political statement.

Making art which reinforces and conforms to the status quo in a way which is non-controversial to the majority is about as political as you can get.
tenor.gif

This thread is about to go viral.

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
It would be impossible to review Mario Odyssey without making a political statement.

The game touches on Colonialism, Cultural Appropriation, the impact of Adventure Tourism on native populations and ecologies, Damsels in Distress, and many other highly political issues.

If you bring any of those issues up, positively or negatively, that's a political statement. If you don't bring any of those issues them up, that's still a political statement.
You need to understand the simple truth that entertainment doesn't necessarily grow up with you.

Nor should it.

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
That's all Russ has been doing for days is making passive aggressive snipes at his colleagues criticizing him despite many of them directly asking to clarify his statements. Instead, what he's done is declare that he, "Used his words with precision," and claim that everyone saying 'leave politics at the door' stance means he's aiming for being apolitical is misrepresenting him despite not clarifying what he thinks the difference is.

Also, he's made not one but two vaguely "both sides," statements since this controversy started. The more recent one on Twitter that's been quoted here, and then the one I haven't seen brought up as much from the press release itself.

It was right-wing. The Escapist was not taken over by both left and right-wing extremists. They were GGers. They were right-wingers. It IS interesting that he refused to acknowledge that and went for "extremism on both sides is bad," in an instance where the extremism was very clearly one-sided.

So he's been dog whistling his heart out.

Now he has a flood of new right-wingers following him and patting him on the back because he called to them with his dog whistling and his refusal to take a stance - a fact that only benefits them. He has the audacity to now take offense that these right-wingers think he's their buddy now when people have been telling him this is what he courted and criticized his vague language from moment one.

This whole thing is a bad look on so many levels.

Not taking a political stance is a political stance. It is a tacit endorsement of the status quo, and that's exactly what GGers, the alt right, right-wingers, conservatives - whatever you want to call them - want.

There. Is. No. Such. Thing. As. Apolitical. See above.

Excellent post.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not really wrong about Mario though. He's always been a family friendly brand largely aimed at kids. Even if you count Odyssey, it's only a shift back to the N64/GC era style of gameplay and still having a very simple story. Nothing is particularly deep with Mario's story. Mario is not intended to grow up with its players like the rest of the industry has done to some of their games and characters (Jak series).

Of course politics are in Mario games as they are with everything around us but it's shallow and not very deep save the princess story and not likely to get discussed in great detail compared to newer games where their intention is to tell a deeper story like say The Last of Us or whatever else.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
He's not really wrong about Mario though. He's always been a family friendly brand largely aimed at kids. Even if you count Odyssey, it's only a shift back to the N64/GC era style of gameplay and still having a very simple story. Nothing is particularly deep with Mario's story. Mario is not intended to grow up with its players like the rest of the industry has done to some of their games and characters (Jak series).

Of course politics are in Mario games as they are with everything around us but it's shallow and not very deep save the princess story and not likely to get discussed in great detail compared to newer games where their intention is to tell a deeper story like say The Last of Us or whatever else.
Again, are you serious?

edit: To provide a little clarity. The politics of Mario, simply due to its continued history, have created a form of politics that is far more layered and complex than it was when he was just an 8-bit pixel man running left to right. This is pretty much unavoidable, as the character went from a character in a video game, to a mascot, to a brand in its own right. Things didn't get simpler as more Mario games were created. They have inherently become more complex as more content and more creative work involved with the character has continued to be created.

Last edited:

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Reuters isn't apolitical. They try to not editorialize too much but they do report on political subjects and just the act of choosing what to report on and what not is subjective and political. They don't stick their heads in the sand like these "keep politics out of muh vidya geimus" people do and act like there is no political dimension to the games they enjoy.
Of course you are right and I agree. I suppose I was interpreting the "leave politics at the door" comment as "we'll try to leave our opinions at the door and report without bias as much as possible."

I mean it's not like there's a shortage of opinion out there for those that want to view gaming content through whatever political lens they choose. I accept that I'm probably being naive and what "leave politics at the door" really means is that they don't want to piss off their alt-right readers.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, are you serious?
Okay, you're going to have to fill me in here. I can understand reviews being unable to avoid politics, but you're going to have to provide some stuff on Mario games and how it has grown up with the audience. I've seen so many say that Mario series should grow up and be more difficult and get more involved with its story for ages now, same for Pokemon, same for many Nintendo titles.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, you're going to have to fill me in here. I can understand reviews being unable to avoid politics, but you're going to have to provide some stuff on Mario games and how it has grown up with the audience. I've seen so many say that Mario series should grow up and be more difficult and get more involved with its story for ages now, same for Pokemon, same for many Nintendo titles.
See my above edit, but to put it simply: the creation of new works involving a character, brand, or mascot, adds more politics to the mix. They are inherently more complex as they have a history.

As an example - the politics related to Mario and sexism have continued to evolve over time, from something simple and banal to a need to interrogate the design decisions of Nintendo at large, due to the mixed-messages they seem to present with regards to how Mario relates to other characters across the history of games the character has been involved in.

It might be good to think about it this way: The more time, and the more popularity something or someone has, the more politics are likely to increase and evolve around that something or someone.

Last edited:

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See my above edit, but to put it simply: the creation of new works involving a character, brand, or mascot, adds more politics to the mix. They are inherently more complex as they have a history.

As an example - the politics related to Mario and sexism have continued to evolve over time, from something simple and banal to a need to interrogate the design decisions of Nintendo at large, due to the mixed-messages they seem to present with regards to how Mario relates to other characters across the history of games the character has been involved in.

It might be good to think about it this way: The more time, and the more popularity something or someone has, the more politics are likely to increase and evolve around that something or someone.

This is just... ridiculous. Since there are many reviews that do not delve into the political climate you describe. Just because you are aware and care about the political aspects doesn't change the fact that many discussion completely ignore that information which is kinda the point of this thread. It's not, can a gaming website exist in a complete vacuum of politics?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

None of this really tells me anything on how Mario has really grown up with the audience and now aiming to an older audience. That's what it entails to say "not all entertainment grows up with you". I mentioned Jak series specifically because it went from game made for kids rated E to a game made for teens and older getting more and more complex with its story and politics. That's what I was getting at. And even then, Mario does not get more complex that what we see within their family brand, though they can if they wanted to.

Mario isn't inherently more complex or grown up because of an adjustment in themes and content because it's not really going to dive into those things. Mickey Mouse has also had a lot of adjustments to its themes, content, and interactions with characters, yet the stories are no more complex or political than they've ever been.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
This is just... ridiculous. Since there are many reviews that do not delve into the political climate you describe. Just because you are aware and care about the political aspects doesn't change the fact that many discussion completely ignore that information which is kinda the point of this thread. It's not, can a gaming website exist in a complete vacuum of politics?
Not talking about something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This is where the whole "putting your head in the sand" thing comes from.
None of this really tells me anything on how Mario has really grown up with the audience and now aiming to an older audience. That's what it entails to say "not all entertainment grows up with you". I mentioned Jak series specifically because it went from game made for kids rated E to a game made for teens and older getting more and more complex with its story and politics. That's what I was getting at. And even then, Mario does not get more complex that what we see within their family brand, though they can if they wanted to.

Mario isn't inherently more complex or grown up because of an adjustment in themes and content because it's not really going to dive into those things. Mickey Mouse has also had a lot of adjustments to its themes, content, and interactions with characters, yet the stories are no more complex or political than they've ever been.
Yes, if you're willing to ignore history, I'm sure nothing ever really becomes more complex. Most people aren't going to do that though, because it kneecaps discourse.

Last edited:

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros Melee.

I'd say that game is very political, hell the entire series is political due to character additions, balancing, competitive vs casual, and more. Politics means far more than just social, economic, and geopolitics. The politics in the Smash Bros community, as well as the fighting game community, is pretty big and has affected the series post-brawl.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say that game is very political, hell the entire series is political due to character additions, balancing, competitive vs casual, and more. Politics means far more than just social, economic, and geopolitics. The politics in the Smash Bros community, as well as the fighting game community, is pretty big and has affected the series post-brawl.
Yeah, fighting games in particular have an extraordinarily huge dearth of politics about their mechanics, hitboxes, gameplay styles, etc. Not to even mention all the other topics the FGC is also involved with. And this wasn't always the case. It has evolved greatly over time, and people look back at old fighting games with a very different eye than when they were new.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not talking about something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This is where the whole "putting your head in the sand" thing comes from.

Yes, if you're willing to ignore history, I'm sure nothing ever really becomes more complex. Most people aren't going to do that though.
No one is ignoring history. I don't feel like you're even listening. Whatever is intentional or unintentional, that someone notices will get talked about whether in review or opinion piece. And most often when it comes to Mario, it's an opinion piece to discuss the history and its issues not any one particular game. Talking of just Mario Oddysey, it's no more complex than Sunshine or Galaxy. Peach still gets kidnapped and Bowser wanting to marry her, the only difference is the ending where she essentially rejects both of them and goes on her own adventure. Also 3D World? She's playable, but now a bunch of female fairies are captured. Notice a theme and how the damsel in distress thing has not at all been addressed? things changed but everything is still the same and not even remotely more complex in your goals, etc.

Just because it got a few adjustments does not mean it has grown up, or matured, or a lot of things. To grow up with the audience, that people often demand is not always being rated E for everyone. The entire point of growing up with an audience and its history of use from people and companies is to often reboot the IP to be for older audiences. Youkai Watch is doing just that, aiming for older audiences, the audience that grew up watching and playing it because their IP isn't reaching many kids as they once did.

I do agree with wanting a bit more changes to Mario on some subjects like I mentioned. But adjustments that people want from Mario, like I mentioned, is not one to age the series up with the audiences, it's to get with the times.

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
No one is ignoring history. I don't feel like you're even listening. Whatever is intentional or unintentional, that someone notices will get talked about whether in review or opinion piece. And most often when it comes to Mario, it's an opinion piece to discuss the history and its issues not any one particular game. Talking of just Mario Oddysey, it's no more complex than Sunshine or Galaxy. Peach still gets kidnapped and Bowser wanting to marry her, the only difference is the ending where she essentially rejects both of them and goes on her own adventure. Also 3D World? She's playable, but now a bunch of female fairies are captured. Notice a theme and how the damsel in distress thing has not at all been addressed? things changed but everything is still the same and not even remotely more complex in your goals, etc.

Just because it got a few adjustments does not mean it has grown up, or matured, or a lot of things. To grow up with the audience, that people often demand is not being rated E for everyone. The entire point of growing up with an audience and its history of use from people and companies is to often reboot the IP to be for older audiences. Youkai Watch is doing just that, aiming for older audiences, the audience that grew up watching and playing it because their IP isn't reaching many kids as they once did.

I do agree with wanting a bit more changes to Mario on some subjects like I mentioned. But adjustments that people want from Mario, like I mentioned, is not one to age the series up with the audiences, it's to get with the times.
Okay, but that's not what was stated. A game doesn't become "grown up" just because it got a higher ESRB rating.

And again, what you're limiting politics to is just one bit of a much larger picture. Even games with no story at all can become more politically complex as time goes forward. If they're popular, they're almost assuredly going to.

Stating, "the story isn't very complex", is wholly different from stating, "the politics aren't very complex". The former is true of most Mario games, the latter is not.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

More specifically, I would say it's "getting with the times" by having a more active female voice, because more girls/women are playing games. Which dips towards (if not actually into) gender politics and how society has changed towards being more even-handed in its treatment of the genders.