• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's fair.
I find the current climate where you have to take a side on everything and if you don't it will be decided for you completely absurd.

Choosing not to take a side is a political choice, and it's a tacit endorsement of the side that wants to preserve the status quo.

How are some of y'all not getting that yet?

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Choosing not to take a side is a political choice, and it's a tacit endorsement of the side that wants to preserve the status quo.

How are some of y'all not getting that yet?
i get it, i just don't agree with it

if i wanna write a story and i make the protagonist female, one side will tell how bold and progressive i am to give mroe representation to women, while the other part would call me part of the feminist agenda that wants to take diminish the presence of the white male or something
on the other hand if i decide to give an ethnicity other than caucasian to the villain of the story, one side will say that i'm supporting the idea that foreigners are bad people while the other side will probably championit in some other ways.

meanwhile i may just have wrote a story with a female protagonist and an,i dunno, hispanic villain because that's how i have envisioned my story.

what the internet does it's just a us vs them all out war where everything is strumentalized to be used as a weapon in a war..that's why you get preposteous things like "the last star wars is bad because of sjw agenda" or "X media is bad because it perpetuates the status quo"

it's just stealing someone else's voice to further your cause, while i think everyone is entitled to keep his own voice for himselkf and use it as he sees fit, or don't use it at all.

buuut that's a discussion i've seen ten thousands time on the internet, so let's just agree to disagree..or how you put it, let's just say that i don't get it.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
i get it, i just don't agree with it

if i wanna write a story and i make the protagonist female, one side will tell how bold and progressive i am to give mroe representation to women, while the other part would call me part of the feminist agenda that wants to take diminish the presence of the white male or something
on the other hand if i decide to give an ethnicity other than caucasian to the villain of the story, one side will say that i'm supporting the idea that foreigners are bad people while the other side will probably championit in some other ways.

meanwhile i may just have wrote a story with a female protagonist and an,i dunno, hispanic villain because that's how i have envisioned my story.

what the internet does it's just a us vs them all out war where everything is strumentalized to be used as a weapon in a war..that's why you get preposteous things like "the last star wars is bad because of sjw agenda" or "X media is bad because it perpetuates the status quo"

it's just stealing someone else's voice to further your cause, while i think everyone is entitled to keep his own voice for himselkf and use it as he sees fit, or don't use it at all.

buuut that's a discussion i've seen ten thousands time on the internet, so let's just agree to disagree..or how you put it, let's just say that i don't get it.

This honestly reads like you don't approve that things people create are subject to any kind of criticism.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This honestly reads like you don't approve that things people create are subject to any kind of criticism.
You can criticize, what you can't do is assign to them a "pro" or "against" label outside of the actual will of the creator.

just like "oh you put a woman as the main character of star wars, that's a feminist agenda thing" (talking a lot about star wars since it's the thing i see people debate around the most lately, go figure) it's preposterous, so it's the "let's eliminate princess peach because her existence send the message that women are just objects seen a the prize for the male protagonist"

not every character/thing is a statement,and shouldn't be forcibly turned into one just because this is a war and we need ammo.

Oct 25, 2017
Sites like Polygon and Waypoint produce these political articles to create drama and clickbait and are far from constructive. For example "toxic masculinity" is a common subject however the behavior in question is by a bunch of fucking dorks and trolls on the internet. Far from masculine. And all these articles do is provide ammunition for these people and they actual create a whole industry. There are people getting patreon money / youtube views making fun of this stuff. If the ridiculous articles did not exist, the trolls would have nothing, but Polygon wouldn't have their clicks.

Nobody gives a shit about this stuff in the real world. It is all fake drama on the internet. Most people just want to work, have fun, get laid etc. Gaming is a past time. There is a market for normal people who just want to play games and read about such games and don't give a fuck about dorks, trolls and whiny drama.

I know you're already banned but this is complete bullshit. Every single man on this planet is exposed to and embodies toxic masculinity to a certain extent. I guess we're all fucking dorks and trolls! I mean, you're not wrong.

Maybe you should read up on the concept instead of misinterpreting it completely, eh? You seem incredibly smart so it shouldn't be too hard for you.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
This rejection of politics and subjectivity is demonstrative of this narrowed, withered cultural experience of "hardcore" gamers.

What I don't understand though is the demented ownership of a medium that intellectually crippled them. It's like all of these rabble rousers know they're fucked up and trapped in this perpetual adolescence but don't know what to do about it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
First off, not once have I said that anything should (or can) be objectively discussed. If you would actually read the post you're quoting you'll see that I said the exact opposite.

Really?

Do you have the ability to separate story from gameplay?

Yes?

Then you can discuss games without involving politics.

If no, then I'd try and work on that.

I think this pretty heavily implies that reviews should be without a subjective discussion of underlying themes of a political nature. But that is just what I took away from your post, so *shrugs* I may be wrong on that.

Let's take two FPS titles, Counter Strike and Call of Duty. Both have very similar aesthetics with very similar audiovisual feedback. They also have very similar rule sets (number of players, objectives etc) To someone not familiar with either they could probably be the same game.

However, the difference in how those two games play is absolutely vast. A lot of that is achieved through a one change: how bullets spread. That single change affects almost everything about how one plays the game. From map positioning and movement to squad tactics and coordination.

That is (very basic) analysis of gameplay with no reference to presentation..

One issue with this is that, within franchises, mechanics change little - Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite are, mechanically, much the same, as are CoD games. And, when they do vary, actually a lot of time is spent discussing the differing mechanics, as when CS:S players and reviewers transitioned into CS:GO. So the upshot of this is that you'd have a lot of reviews which are very dry, without giving much criticism of the "flavour" of the game.

Of course, I'm not saying aesthetics don't matter, I'm saying they're not the primary driving force for why people play Fortnite or CS or Halo etc.

Except for some people they are, because the world (both in terms of story, and aesthetics) draws them in more. A clear example of this would be the representation of women in Overwatch - mechanically, Mercy, Tracer or Mel could just as easily be men, but because they're women (and not just wholly male-gaze created women), players are drawn to Overwatch over CS, or Halo, or whatever. Because the aesthetics represent them.

They're not automatically a shitty person unless they refuse to tell me what specific politics they don't want in their games and games coverage. I thought I made that clear.

Mmmm... Important to note this point from the FAQ:
Do not argue in bad faith: Honest dissent and debate is generally welcome. However, we do not welcome disingenuous arguments, deliberately ignoring or refusing to acknowledge counterarguments, or arguing for no reason than to upset other members. If your contributions to a discussion are clearly unproductive or lead in circles, it's time to stop.

Last edited:

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can criticize, what you can't do is assign to them a "pro" or "against" label outside of the actual will of the creator.

just like "oh you put a woman as the main character of star wars, that's a feminist agenda thing" (talking a lot about star wars since it's the thing i see people debate around the most lately, go figure) it's preposterous, so it's the "let's eliminate princess peach because her existence send the message that women are just objects seen a the prize for the male protagonist"

not every character/thing is a statement,and shouldn't be forcibly turned into one just because this is a war and we need ammo.
Question: Yes or no, is including a gay character in your hypothetical story a political statement or not?

Also, your stories aren't written in a void my dude. Sorry to burst your bubble but your potential story is subject to criticism involving 'hot' button issues. I mean 'Saving the princess' is a tired trope and some people are going to point out the potential sexism in there even if you just wanted to make a story about saving the princess. Thems the breaks living in a society where minority issues and complaints are more prominent.

But this isn't new. Grave of the Fireflies was praised by everyone in the West as a powerful anti-war film. The creators on the other hand didn't mean it like that. Art can go beyond it's creators intentions. I'm sure smarter posters can word this better so I'll leave it at that.

Also no one is going to give a damn about a novel containing a woman as the main character and a Hispanic villian in 2018. I mean not unless you make the villian stereotypical and outlandishly Hispanic or something. Games are way behind the writing scene. Not that there isn't bullshit there too but there are more female protagonists than ever in novels. There was a huge movie franchise or two built from those books LOL.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
But this isn't new. Grave of the Fireflies was praised by everyone in the West as a powerful anti-war film. The creators on the other hand didn't mean it like that. Art can go beyond it's creators intentions. I'm sure smarter posters can word this better so I'll leave it at that.

I don't know about smarter but what you're talking about is called death of the author and is exactly what you said - the idea that authorial intent, or even facts about their life are irrelevant to an appraisal of or interpretation of their work.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question: Yes or no, is including a gay character in your hypothetical story a political statement or not?

short answer no.

long answer, if one wants to make it a political statement he/she can, but he/she doesn't need to be forced to make it one...it's his/her character,it's his/her work, it's his/her choice to make it a political statement or not. sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Also, your stories aren't written in a void my dude. Sorry to burst your bubble but your potential story is subject to criticism involving 'hot' button issues. I mean 'Saving the princess' is a tired trope and some people are going to point out the potential sexism in there even if you just wanted to make a story about saving the princess. Thems the breaks living in a society where minority issues and complaints are more prominent.

Also no one is going to give a damn about a novel containing a woman as the main character and a Hispanic villian in 2018. I mean not unless you make the villian stereotypical and outlandishly Hispanic or something. Games are way behind the writing scene. Not that there isn't bullshit there too but there are more female protagonists than ever in novels. There was a huge movie franchise or two built from those books LOL.

well there were people arguing against ganondorf because it's a non white villain as recently as last year..so i'm not sure we are past the "give a damn" phase...everything is good as long as it gives you ammo apparently

anyway, i already know the argument far and wide, the whole "not in the vacuum" the different interpretation of art..that's nothing new to me.

i just don't agree with it and see it just as an instrumentalization of other people's voice to further our own political/moral/whatever agenda

and what's worse it usually goes against said agenda because it dilutes the whole discussion about the matter by making people that are not into those matters that much but also not against care even less because of all the false positives...take PETA for example..i don't think anyone i know would condone violence against animals...yet the association is the bottom of a thousand jokes because in the attempt to raise awareness they started aiming indiscriminately (like when they went for the tanuki suit in mario 3) and people tstarted taking their very serious protests less seriously because of that.

what's the solution then? what's the perfect formula...well there's none...there's no one size-fit-all solution other than using common sense and choosing what battles are worth fighting for if you wanna win the war..isn't generalization basically the fundation of all the racism, and misoginy? the incapacity to understand that gender and race carry no other attributes than themselves?

instead nowdays the mindset is "fight all the battles",no matter how insignificant and misguided, because "everything is political" and "everything has an agenda"..and what's worst it's that this approach leaves the side open to manipulation from third parties that march under someone else's banner for pure profit

Last edited:

Andy Mac

Banned
Jun 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Vilifying Journalism
Why is it anybody that doesn't want politicized games automatically a shitty person to you? You're acting like a child. I don't play games because they are high art. I primarily play grindy MMOs and loot games because I want to click a mouse and watch numbers go up. Games I play aren't making a statement OR if they are, I'm not gleaning one from them. I don't play games like Last of Us or Wolfenstein because I couldn't give less of an eff about a game that prioritizes its storytelling over gameplay and that are also finite. I like games that I can dive into and lose hundreds of hours to because gaming is my way to pass time. It's not a medium I use to engage with messages. If I want to do that I will read a book or article, or watch a movie. I guess throw me in the pile with the GGers then?

This is a good post. It inspired some new ideas for me that I'd like to expand on.

I am interested in the juxtaposition between simple acts like grinding in a game and more complex and engaging acts like furthering a narrative. How being fully invested in the former while not caring much for the latter can put you on the "wrong side" of some people.

Using Super Mario Bros as my first example I think it is often assumed that the player is playing the game because they actually want to rescue the princess and that's what keeps them coming back. If you asked "what is Super Mario Bros about" then the answer could be "it's about rescuing a princess". The player may say "well I want to rescue the princess so lets-a go" (and that's why you're the hero we need right now).

However the player may not consider the princess at all. Maybe the reason for playing Mario is not to rescue the princess but to kill time on a Saturday afternoon or to relax after a hard day at work. It could be both too but whatever it is the player will know what they want from the game.

You CAN get what you get from the game and being happy with that BUT expressing that sentiment? Tut tut tut. There are many people who want to tell you what you should be getting from the game (and why that's a good thing).

In a game like Breath of the Wild there can be stretches of several hours where I am not engaging with the story of the game or even the themes presented. I'm just messing around. Achieving nothing more than relaxing myself. The game may be political but I am playing it in an apolitical fashion.

None of this means that the games are not "political". Sure there are narratives and hidden layers and if one was asked to write and essay on Mario or Zelda for high school homework then I'm sure they'd be able to do that. However, the relationship between the game and the player can be more complex than that.

Does a player who ignores the political context of a game automatically get less out of the game? I would argue no. Speedrunners get something out of Breath of the Wild just the same as someone writing a lengthy political analysis of the game gets something too (maybe it's the game we need in Trump's America).

Now, a person might read lengthy articles breaking down the politics of a certain game and may also think "jeez these articles are trash". I frequently do. You might even think "actually I just play that game for fun" and would prefer to read articles without the shoehorning of political commentary.

Here is the "gotcha" though. Being "apolitical" is in and of itself a political stance. I'm sure everyone has heard the old argument that "Atheism is a religion"?

So if you are "apolitical" then guess what? THAT'S POLITICAL.

I bet you're still thinking "but dude when I play Elder Scrolls Online I just like to roam the world and level up and see what's going on" but you're just putting your head in the sand to ignore the realities of the modern world (and that's a problem).

You see in the real world, just like in an MMO, other people are trying to prove that they have more knowledge of the game than you. They are out to prove that they are better than you. Better than anyone.

What's the best way to show that? Well, we could shame you for not thinking deeply enough about the game. You're just playing Mario at the surface level. You jump and run and enjoy the music. Oh, how droll.

>> I << on the other hand understand the toxic message that Mario sends to society at large. The Damsel in Distress. The gender stereotyping. The overt display of toxic masculinity. Please listen to my lecture about how tropes in video games harm women in the real world. Actually forget the "please". If you don't want to listen, or you don't want to agree, then you are just burying your head in the sand. Maybe you are one of those gamers?

After all, if you're just playing Mario for the fun of it and nothing more then isn't that just tacit approval of the real evils in society?

We play games for fun or to relax. These people though? These people are better than us.

These people are combing through the historical records to prove that if you thought there were only white people in Bohemia in 1403 then you are wrong! That medieval RPG you are playing? It's, like, sooooo problematic!

You want to read articles that are all about the games and don't come across like they were written by a passive aggressive Social Studies major? If the answer is yes then maybe you're secretly one of those Gamergate supporters, huh?

I know, I know. You never harassed anyone. I get it. Still, doesn't doing nothing mean you are complicit?

So they sneer at your desire to just play FarCry 5 and have a fun time after work. They deride your desire to read articles about FarCry 5 that aren't utter tripe from so-called "journalists" whining about the games politics.

The Division isn't FUN, my friend, it's PROBLEMATIC! (and here are 10 reasons why, number 8 will SHOCK you)

Like you, I thought "well I'm not interested in politics". WRONG ANSWER!

You see everything is political and if you aren't interested in politics then that's just tacit approval of all the bad things in this world.

"No seriously, I'm just not into politics". GOTCHA! That's an alt-right... um... what's that term we would started using about a month ago... insta... intro.. incel! Incel. That's an alt-right, incel, dog-whistle buddy. Go straight to jail!

You're just passing the time with your electronic toys while the world burns. You're part of the problem.

OR maybe reaching the next level really is apolitical. Maybe looking at the sights and listening to the sounds is apolitical too.

Sometimes a jump is just a jump. A record time is just a record time. Beating the next boss is just your plan for a Friday evening and nothing more.

Or maybe you just support Gamergate. :p

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Even basic elements of gameplay has underlying ideas about human values that they package, promote, or attempt to take benefit from.

Consider how many games are built around rewarding the player. Does the game take the instant gratification approach, throwing as many rewards as it can to the player? Or does it give the player hard work to achieve before they get the reward? There are some cultures where one is more difficult than the other.

Or consider the role of enemies in a game. Is the purpose of the game to defeat an enemy, or are the enemies there to distract us from our goal? For some people, it can actually be frustrated if they don't destroy every enemy because they feel as that's the proper thing to do.

Does the game deliberately craft things or does it want you to exercise your creativity?

Does the game tell you where to go or does it leave you to discover the way yourself?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Andy Mac (and others). It strikes me that there's maybe some confusion in how people approach criticism and reviews? Some relevant links

Criticism vs reviews: sometimes, it's OK to care only about how a game plays
Louder than Words
Don't Confuse Reviews with True Criticism

Choice quote from that last link:

Reviewing serves its purposes. But it shouldn't be mistaken for criticism, thoughtful work that explores cultural endeavors and grapples with history, trends, ideas, formal developments in the arts and the relationship of the arts to the broader culture. If professional critics really are the experts they're supposed to be, then surely they have something more to offer on this front than advice on how best to spend one's Friday night.

You (and others) are absolutely welcome to appreciate games how you like, but critics can and do serve an important purpose in evaluating and critiquing work that others can and do mindlessly consume. Because a good critic can draw from life, politics, art and music, and place a piece of entertainment in a wider context, both contemporary and historical.

(apologies if this is condescending, not meant to be)

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Considering that, according to some "fine people", having woman and/or minorities is also "politics" does that mean that the Website won't cover those type of games anymore?

Andy Mac

Banned
Jun 28, 2018
Andy Mac (and others). It strikes me that there's maybe some confusion in how people approach criticism and reviews? Some relevant links

Criticism vs reviews: sometimes, it's OK to care only about how a game plays
Louder than Words
Don't Confuse Reviews with True Criticism

Choice quote from that last link:

You (and others) are absolutely welcome to appreciate games how you like, but critics can and do serve an important purpose in evaluating and critiquing work that others can and do mindlessly consume. Because a good critic can draw from life, politics, art and music, and place a piece of entertainment in a wider context, both contemporary and historical.

(apologies if this is condescending, not meant to be)

Thanks.

No, not condescending at all. I see your points.

Honestly, what "grinds my gears" is more the idea that people are not good people because they have a different perspective.

I think it's valid to say "I don't want politicized content". I really do.

The reaction to that seems wholly inappropriate. Snide allusions to "support" of certain groups is never far away when someone says "you know what I just like the games and I don't like politics".

I would loosely agree that EVERYTHING is political because in every case political interpretations are entirely possible.

Unfortunately a side effect of this is that bad interpretations are commonplace.

I totally agree that a good critic CAN draw from life, politics, art and music, and place a piece of entertainment in a wider context, both contemporary and historical. However, when it comes to gaming, we have a distinct lack of good critics and an abundance of awful critics who seem to think they themselves are above criticism.

With that in mind, "I do not want to read these garbage politically motivated articles" is not that much of a crazy stance to take.

It's sad to see the accusations fly when I think the points made are just fine.

Eric Baker

Nov 6, 2017
Wichita, KS
What this REALLY means is they're going to leave politics that challenge people at the door. Otherwise, the implicit political messages inherent in everything will go unremarked upon. Not only does this do a disservice to video games as an art form, it's not even changing anything, it's just being less aware about the politics they're promoting.

But who's surprised? The Escapist has ALWAYS been nothing more than something to back up the status quo. Jim Sterling's content was the closest they ever had to legitimate art critique that acknowledged the underlying politics in games, and he infamously quit working there years ago.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks.

Honestly, what "grinds my gears" is more the idea that people are not good people because they have a different perspective.

The reaction to that seems wholly inappropriate. Snide allusions to "support" of certain groups is never far away when someone says "you know what I just like the games and I don't like politics".

I would loosely agree that EVERYTHING is political because in every case political interpretations are entirely possible.

Unfortunately a side effect of this is that bad interpretations are commonplace.

I totally agree that a good critic CAN draw from life, politics, art and music, and place a piece of entertainment in a wider context, both contemporary and historical. However, when it comes to gaming, we have a distinct lack of good critics and an abundance of awful critics who seem to think they themselves are above criticism.

With that in mind, "I do not want to read these garbage politically motivated articles" is not that much of a crazy stance to take.

It is, however, a grossly irresponsible stance to take. Stating that one wouldn't want (or could somehow avoid) politics in their articles is an open admittance that the status quo is fine, when we live in a world of near constant injustices, no matter who you are.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What's the best way to show that? Well, we could shame you for not thinking deeply enough about the game. You're just playing Mario at the surface level. You jump and run and enjoy the music. Oh, how droll.

>> I << on the other hand understand the toxic message that Mario sends to society at large. The Damsel in Distress. The gender stereotyping. The overt display of toxic masculinity. Please listen to my lecture about how tropes in video games harm women in the real world. Actually forget the "please". If you don't want to listen, or you don't want to agree, then you are just burying your head in the sand. Maybe you are one of those gamers?

After all, if you're just playing Mario for the fun of it and nothing more then isn't that just tacit approval of the real evils in society?

We play games for fun or to relax. These people though? These people are better than us.

Yes, you got it all figured out. The people complaining that Peach has been a damsel in distress rescued by a male hero for decades, are only doing it to feel superior to you. Even the women doing so. It's all about you and how they want to belittle you.

Eric Baker

Nov 6, 2017
Wichita, KS
I dont blame them. Talking politics is exhausting and largely usually get no one anywhere besides giant arguments. It's rare to see people in an online setting change their minds.

As they said no doubt politics will get into their coverage, it's impossible not to as we all have our own beliefs. But trying to make it not the focus of the site or stories they publish seems a perfectly reasonable stance to take to me.

I think both The Escapist and you are conflating electoral politics with the broader definition of the word, which is just how people interact with each other in a society. I don't expect anyone to comment on the former unless they've done some research and have something to say. But ignoring the latter is ignoring everything that makes art interesting. It's intentionally handicapping your critique. It's the equivalent of an art critic talking exclusively about what color paint the artist used, and what the frame looks like, and whether or not the painting is pretty. It's deeply insulting to the medium.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I think both The Escapist and you are conflating electoral politics with the broader definition of the word, which is just how people interact with each other in a society. I don't expect anyone to comment on the former unless they've done some research and have something to say. But ignoring the latter is ignoring everything that makes art interesting. It's intentionally handicapping your critique. It's the equivalent of an art critic talking exclusively about what color paint the artist used, and what the frame looks like, and whether or not the painting is pretty. It's deeply insulting to the medium.
I mean, talking about use of color and framing can certainly be important, but as you say, the context is how you present a critique.

Like, what would an apolitical review even look like? Just the tech specs of the game? This is what I have a genuinely hard time comprehending. Language and allegory exist in tandem and there's no way to separate them out.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Can't really leave politics at the door in a hetero-male-dominated, bulwarked in misogyny industry though, can you? Ostriching won't help anyone. Politics and humanities intersect on every possible level these days.

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not American.

Politics exists across the world, and politics is inherently a part of gaming. The industry itself and the stories and messages contained within the games themselves.

Attempting to ignore politics here is futile. It's also pretty sad that people like yourself even want this when the political conversations NEED to remain to help progress for marglinalozed groups.

You can easily do the very, very least of bearing the weight of reading or skimming past political articles. Hardly a sacrifice, and people like yourself calling for politics to go are actively standing in the way of progress for marglinaozed people.

Not only that, but politics affects your own life whoever you are, and it's working against YOUR self interest to attempt to silence conversations.

I honestly don't know how you even begin to think that's ok.
I never said I want all politics out of all my life. I just want less of it in video games. Hey, I'm not forcing people into it. It's just my thing. I applaud that all of you are so into videogame politics. This all thing started with me saying "hey, all give this site a chance." Jesus

Nov 2, 2017
I never said I want all politics out of all my life. I just want less of it in video games. Hey, I'm not forcing people into it. It's just my thing. I applaud that all of you are so into videogame politics. This all thing started with me saying "hey, all give this site a chance." Jesus

People aren't giving it a chance because the former direction of this site was pro-hate group and their reaction about that was to spout a bunch of bullshit about "both sides" followed by said hate group's favorite dogwhistle.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

I know you're deservedly banned already, but the idea that critics think they're all above criticism is fucking laughable. People get roasted by other critics for their bad takes all the time, even among friends. Some of it even goes too far.

So the thought that critics are some elite group that think they're superior to you and untouchable just because they're writing criticism, well, it's ridiculously wrong. And it's also some GG level conspiracy theory, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017

These people are combing through the historical records to prove that if you thought there were only white people in Bohemia in 1403 then you are wrong! That medieval RPG you are playing? It's, like, sooooo problematic!

You want to read articles that are all about the games and don't come across like they were written by a passive aggressive Social Studies major? If the answer is yes then maybe you're secretly one of those Gamergate supporters, huh?

I know, I know. You never harassed anyone. I get it. Still, doesn't doing nothing mean you are complicit?

So they sneer at your desire to just play FarCry 5 and have a fun time after work. They deride your desire to read articles about FarCry 5 that aren't utter tripe from so-called "journalists" whining about the games politics.

The Division isn't FUN, my friend, it's PROBLEMATIC! (and here are 10 reasons why, number 8 will SHOCK you)

Like you, I thought "well I'm not interested in politics". WRONG ANSWER!

You see everything is political and if you aren't interested in politics then that's just tacit approval of all the bad things in this world.

"No seriously, I'm just not into politics". GOTCHA! That's an alt-right... um... what's that term we would started using about a month ago... insta... intro.. incel! Incel. That's an alt-right, incel, dog-whistle buddy. Go straight to jail!

You're just passing the time with your electronic toys while the world burns. You're part of the problem.

OR maybe reaching the next level really is apolitical. Maybe looking at the sights and listening to the sounds is apolitical too.

Sometimes a jump is just a jump. A record time is just a record time. Beating the next boss is just your plan for a Friday evening and nothing more.

Or maybe you just support Gamergate. :p
Not everything is about you. If you don't care about certain aspects of video game criticism that's totally fine. They are not out to get you and you don't have to be involved in the field.
It is also fine to disagree. People can have a problem with something and you don't and you can move on. Atleast you've heard someone's opinion. At best a well reasoned one.

Maybe it says more about you than criticism that you see an article about The Divison and feel personally attacked like that. And I don't mean it in a "you're a Gamer Gater" kind of way, but in a personal confidence and self-reflection kind of way.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Russ really doesn't want to acknowledge gamergate specifically, huh? Looks more and more like the new Escapist is a slightly less overt version of the old Escapist.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But who's surprised? The Escapist has ALWAYS been nothing more than something to back up the status quo. Jim Sterling's content was the closest they ever had to legitimate art critique that acknowledged the underlying politics in games, and he infamously quit working there years ago.
Bob Chipman literally lost his job because of him being vocal about politics (namely with him being opposed to Gamergate), be it with games, movies or whatever other topics he chose to cover on "The Big Picture". His last episode was about the right-wing reaction to American Sniper:

No disrespect to Jim Sterling (big fan of his work) but let's not pretend like he was the only one with something meaningful to say on the Escapist.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard for him to denounce a hate group?
Because that would be getting political and taking a stance!

Russ keeps talking like people are getting the message wrong but he refuses to clarify on anything, all while wondering why no one will interview him as if pinning the blame on other journalists.

The whole thing was a dog whistle from the very start.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
'many of our readers don't like to hear about anything other than white males and anyone remotely critical of Trump.'

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Yikes... looking at those tweets, it's clear that not only was he dogwhistling to GG people, but he's also feeding into their hatred of journalists who try to tackle complex issues.

Shit, man. This anti-journalist rhetoric and sentiment on the right these days really scares me. I mean, those journalists were killed in that shooting in Maryland not that long ago and these people keep going on vilifying journalism. FFS, journalism has a long and complicated history and it hasn't always been perfect, but it's always arguably been integral to the functioning of a democracy.

I forget what the exact source was, but it came up in another thread posted not long ago that was discussing GG. Some analysis of the whole thing made a good point: like a lot of people on the extreme right, they project their bullshit onto their opponents. They say they're for ethics in journalism, but what they really want is vapid, empty coverage that never presents topics that would make them uncomfortable (so nothing even slightly controversial) and encourages one to remain in a never-ending adolescence where they can shut out the rest of the world.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
"Why doesn't anyone want to interview me?" Asks journalist

Journalists aren't supposed to make themselves the news, jackass

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
A gaming site that ignores politics? So they can aim for the high status of being one of dozens reviews on Metacritic that people scroll through.
Seriously is gaming really lacking in apolitical stuff? It's not like Gamespot or IGN are seriously politcal. They're just not a safe haven for the scum of earth.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
He could just come out and say "Some believe that my "leaving politics at the door" remark was a dogwhistle to GamerGate. It wasn't. I absolutely and unequivocally denounce GG, and its supporters actions, as based on misogyny and disingenuous arguments and bad faith actions." As it is, this statement is still true, and appropriate:

A lot of people said, "Well, we're not doxing women, so we're not complicit." Fuck that. Yes, you are.

(Source)

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Well they're free to be whatever gaming site they want, and plenty of gaming sites have become more political over the last few years that they could probably find an audience. Personally would just like to see more sites nearly exclusively cover indie games, as all of them spend so much time on big titles or existing franchises.

Only thing that tends to annoy me are when sites complain that a game isn't political enough, as though a developer is supposed to care as much as they do on X issue, and not caring means they're being toothless. Political commentary isn't actually that common in the products of most mediums, and I feel like now people are projecting that politics should just because they've taken a bigger interest since our last election cycle. Most content is going to be fluff entertainment, and there is value in that...especially for games where that fluff includes dexterity-based challenge.

Some analysis of the whole thing made a good point: like a lot of people on the extreme right, they project their bullshit onto their opponents.

They do, though I think it's fair to say other parts of the political spectrum are also doing the same thing. The degrees to which each group are doing that can differ, but the increased partisanship in politics, and the way social media insulates people into their echo chambers showcases a general increase in tribalism that's not helpful in getting anything done. Just promotes people to engage in generalizations, personal attacks (to people you barely know online) and hyperbole against people that disagree with them.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The concept of "no politics" in gaming areas is honestly fine. There are plenty of outlets that do contain politics, every place doesn't exactly require it.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's all Russ has been doing for days is making passive aggressive snipes at his colleagues criticizing him despite many of them directly asking to clarify his statements. Instead, what he's done is declare that he, "Used his words with precision," and claim that everyone saying 'leave politics at the door' stance means he's aiming for being apolitical is misrepresenting him despite not clarifying what he thinks the difference is.

Also, he's made not one but two vaguely "both sides," statements since this controversy started. The more recent one on Twitter that's been quoted here, and then the one I haven't seen brought up as much from the press release itself.

To make matters worse, beginning at some point in 2013 or 2014 The Escapist's former publisher had allowed the website to become a home to political extremists. Whether right- or left-wing doesn't matter here, although you may know which. It wasn't a secret. It also isn't interesting.

It was right-wing. The Escapist was not taken over by both left and right-wing extremists. They were GGers. They were right-wingers. It IS interesting that he refused to acknowledge that and went for "extremism on both sides is bad," in an instance where the extremism was very clearly one-sided.

So he's been dog whistling his heart out.

Now he has a flood of new right-wingers following him and patting him on the back because he called to them with his dog whistling and his refusal to take a stance - a fact that only benefits them. He has the audacity to now take offense that these right-wingers think he's their buddy now when people have been telling him this is what he courted and criticized his vague language from moment one.

This whole thing is a bad look on so many levels.

Not taking a political stance is a political stance. It is a tacit endorsement of the status quo, and that's exactly what GGers, the alt right, right-wingers, conservatives - whatever you want to call them - want.

The concept of "no politics" in gaming areas is honestly fine. There are plenty of outlets that do contain politics, every place doesn't exactly require it.

There. Is. No. Such. Thing. As. Apolitical. See above.