• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
So, here's something strange that i couldn't find any news about:

The eShop version of Darksiders: Warmastered Edition has been on the internet since the end of February and the seemingly pirated version of the game could be installed into hacked Switch consoles. I saw this on a gaming CFW- Modding forum, went ahead and checked myself, asked some people on Nintendo CFW Discord and yeah, %100 true.

There seems to be ZERO news about this and the stranger thing is that, the leaked version of the game is the eShop version, so this leak must be straight from THQ Nordic or Nintendo since there isn't seem to be a cartridge based version on the internet. Keep in mind that the leaked version is not a pre-release demo or beta. Full game. Ready to distribute.

Some users on Nintendo CFW discord played the pirated version and they claimed this is a very good port. Some info leaks from the upcoming release:

-Game has 2 modes: High Quality / High Performance.
- High Quality mode has 720p/1080p native resolution. 25-30 fps.
-High performance mode. Lower resolution but 50-60 FPS. Still looks good on portable screen. Feels much better to play.
-14 GB game size.

PS: Please keep in my mind that a pirated version of the game SHOULD NOT BE SUPPORTED or PROMOTED. I just created this thread for 2 main reasons:
1- To let people know about a digital game leak.
2- Share some info about the upcoming port.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59

Having different modes for performance is a great addition. Do any other switch titles have this?

With regards to the leak, it could have come from some press/publication.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
....okay ?
I dont know what you are expecting . its a port of an old game so most people likely dont care about the leak as its expected to run solid on Switch.

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
....okay ?
I dont know what you are expecting . its a port of an old game so most people likely dont care about the leak as its expected to run solid on Switch.
It's a port of an old game which didn't run very well on the current gen consoles when the Warmastered Edition first launched. I myself, cannot wait to play this on my Switch, so this info seemed news-worthy to me.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Surely this is possible due to hackers on Switch having access to the eShop CDNs?
So if the game was uploaded by THQ to the eShop but not shown or released, this access to the CDNs would allow hackers to pull the game wholesale without issues right?

I'm sure this is how we got Fortnite leaks for the Switch.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely this is possible due to hackers on Switch having access to the eShop CDNs?
So if the game was uploaded by THQ to the eShop but not shown or released, this access to the CDNs would allow hackers to pull the game wholesale without issues right?

You wouldn't be able to download the game that way.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fortnite only had it's listing leak, you couldn't download the game

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey

I don't know how eShop works exactly but i don't recall a digital version of a game leaking this early for Switch.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

cucholix

Oct 30, 2017
That sucks, they really needs to stop uploading games to eShop servers months earlier. Hopefully it makes they release the game earlier.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i mean it's not that big of a news, since it's an old-ass game
but honestly, i don't get why games are uploaded or put up for pre-load like a month before release. it serves no purpose other than leaking the game to hackers. they should allow you to pre-purchase the game (for extra gold coins or whatever), but the actual downloading of the game should only be allowed a week or a few days before release.

Some users on Nintendo CFW discord played the pirated version and they claimed this is a very good port. Some info leaks from the upcoming release:

-Game has 2 modes: High Quality / High Performance.
- High Quality mode has 720p/1080p native resolution. 25-30 fps.
-High performance mode. Lower resolution but 50-60 FPS. Still looks good on portable screen. Feels much better to play.
-14 GB game size.
this is really good news, i wish more switch games would let you choose between frame rate and resolution

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i mean it's not that big of a news, since it's an old-ass game
but honestly, i don't get why games are uploaded or put up for pre-load like a month before release. it serves no purpose other than leaking the game to hackers. they should allow you to pre-purchase the game (for extra gold coins or whatever), but the actual downloading of the game should only be allowed a week or a few days before release.

this is really good news, i wish more switch games would let you choose between frame rate and resolution

Unless things have changed recently, there's no way to preload and then unlock the game for use before release.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Performance and high quality mode?

th

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Performance more is wedome, wish more games did this.

Would kill for a performance mode in something like Daemon X Machina.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing happened with Dead Cells iirc, but in that case it was the reviewer who leaked it.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
didn't know that, my bad
In your defense, 3DS eShop used to allow such shenanigans. They eventually fixed this problem though. Not sure if they bothered with Wii U and was it ever the case with it.

E: it definitely was the case with one Wii U game update though.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
And why is that, may i ask? I think this is news-worthy since this is not just a simple game leak.

Usually threads discussing the quality of a game/port/etc are not permitted when the source is a pirated version. At least that's how it was at the Old Place, here I'm not sure.
Saying the leak happened and such = ok; discussing how the game/port/etc is = not permitted.

Not something I agree with (or not), I'm simply answering your question btw.

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Usually threads discussing the quality of a game/port/etc are not permitted when the source is a pirated version. At least that's how it was at the Old Place, here I'm not sure.
Saying the leak happened and such = ok; discussing how the game/port/etc is = not permitted.

Not something I agree with (or not), I'm simply answering your question btw.
Oh i see. Then, i hope the rules of the old place doesn't apply to here in this case :D
Thanks for elloborating btw

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Interesting to hear about the performance and quality modes. I'd be curious to see exactly how dramatic the difference is graphically (detail wise) between the two modes. Even games with a slightly lower res look good enough on the Switch's screen. As long as it's not like Xenoblade 2 level resolution drops, that is.

I've got an XB1X and have a few games that come with two graphical fidelity settings, and I honestly don't see a dramatic difference between the two. At least nothing that matters during actual gameplay. 50-60fps makes action-oriented games feel great.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened with Dead Cells iirc, but in that case it was the reviewer who leaked it.

Same thing likely happened here, or a THQ employee leaked it themselves, and considering where some of them hang-out I wouldn't be too surprised if it were the latter. You can't just download a title willy-nilly. Someone has to provide the key, and that usually is a "reviewer".

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I am really curious to find out how this leak even happened if nobody outside of THQ or Nintendo is able to have access to it.
A THQ Nordic employee likely leaked it.

Review code went out a few weeks ago, so the odds favor a reviewer leaking it. This is why media outlets keep getting access to digital code closer to release because a reviewer leaks it online for online fame. US code distribution for this title was very limited early on, but EU code was of a higher amount -- meaning an EU outlet likely leaked this.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Review code went out a few weeks ago, so the odds favor a reviewer leaking it. This is why media outlets keep getting access to digital code closer to release because a reviewer leaks it online for online fame. US code distribution for this title was very limited early on, but EU code was of a higher amount -- meaning an EU outlet likely leaked this.

This is why I miss the days of debug signed executables and test kits. Yes, it was a PITA to switch between console types, but at least it limited the idiots that wanted to leak stuff.

It's too bad that early release code these days is generic and not watermarked. Any reviewer that leaks early code should have the entire outlet blacklisted (which did happen back in the day since individual titles were watermarked).

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
This is why I miss the days of debug signed executables and test kits. Yes, it was a PITA to switch between console types, but at least it limited the idiots that wanted to leak stuff.

It's too bad that early release code these days is generic and not watermarked. Any reviewer that leaks early code should have the entire outlet blacklisted (which did happen back in the day since individual titles were watermarked).
Agreed. Yeah, it was hell to deal with debug kits for early access to games, but you earned that right to have one. I remember having to mail retail code back after signing and agreeing to only having it for 1-2wks.

Physical copies prevented some of this stuff from happening, but digital code distribution is less of a headache -- though some companies (like Nintendo) have shifted back to physical copies for reviews. Why THQ sent out review code 6-7wks ahead of the embargo (doesn't lift until the last week of March) for Darksiders Switch was an odd decision, but with this leak now happening we can be sure it won't happen with their next release. Looking forward to seeing which outlets break embargo now and pirate the game to bypass the embargo .

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Physical copies prevented some of this stuff from happening, but digital code distribution is less of a headache -- though some companies (like Nintendo) have shifted back to physical copies for reviews.

Back in the heyday of print magazines Nintendo used to hand deliver early review code with its own console. Review code was physical locked in the console, and the delivery person would sit in a conference room at the office while someone played. End of the week, and the game/console/person went back.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh wow, review code that early for Darksiders seems super odd. It's definitely that then.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Back in the heyday of print magazines Nintendo used to hand deliver early review code with its own console. Review code was physical locked in the console, and the delivery person would sit in a conference room at the office while someone played. End of the week, and the game/console/person went back.
I remember the tethered Nintendo console for review. Things have changed a lot since then... some of it for the better and some not so much.

Oh wow, review code that early for Darksiders seems super odd. It's definitely that then.
Yup. North America code distribution was limited a few weeks but EU was much more. A lot of game leaks originate from EU.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I remember the tethered Nintendo console for review. Things have changed a lot since then... some of it for the better and some not so much.

Yup. North America code distribution was limited a few weeks but EU was much more. A lot of game leaks originate from EU.

Yeah, it was something you dealt with, but was always just a bit odd. Someone sitting there silently watching. Saying nothing. But you know they were quietly judging you as you powered through the game for deadline. ;)

As for the EU, it used to seem like Europe was always the source of embargo breaks, but US pubs have also been the source of both embargo breaks and game leaks over the years. Capcom got burned pretty badly by a US print mag with a pirated disc leak back in the PSX days.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, it was something you dealt with, but was always just a bit odd. Someone sitting there silently watching. Saying nothing. But you know they were quietly judging you as you powered through the game for deadline. ;)

As for the EU, it used to seem like Europe was always the source of embargo breaks, but US pubs have also been the source of both embargo breaks and game leaks over the years. Capcom got burned pretty badly by a US print mag with a pirated disc leak back in the PSX days.
Hahaha, it was an awkward setup but I'd love to see how folks would handle it today. The amount of conspiracy YT videos that would surface would be amazing.

Yeah, both EU and US media are responsible for leaks and embargo breaks. No side is innocent. Some influencers in the US will leak code because they don't fear getting caught. Code distribution is more open these days. I remember building a site back in 2003 and sending metrics to PR in an attempt to show we were worthy of a review code. I doubt that is a thing anymore.