• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
www.lapresse.ca

Évacuation chez Ubisoft en 2020 | Fausse prise d’otages, vraie vengeance

Un citoyen français, tricheur notoire dans l’univers des jeux vidéo, serait le principal suspect dans une affaire inventée de toute pièce qui a provoqué un déploiement important de forces policières à Montréal. Banni du célèbre jeu Rainbow Six par Ubisoft, il aurait tenté d’obtenir le pouvoir de...

The article is in French but the gist of it is;

- The person responsible for the evacuation of the Ubisoft Montreal offices back in November 2020 has been identified as a notorious French Rainbow Six Siege cheater, who has been banned over 80 times from the game by the "ethic committee" of Ubisoft for cheating. The player also has an history of swatting and also created a fake Ubisoft website to scam people into giving him their passwords.

- The primary motive is believed to be a desire to ban other players, due to being banned himself.

- There was two other similar false alarms following the events of November 2020, in December 2020 and January 2021.

- The French cheater denies having anything to do with the evacuation or the other two false alarms.

- He defends himself, claiming that he "only" cheated in a video game. The only time he ever called Ubisoft was to throw insults at them, he says.

- Ubisoft did not comment, fearing it would interfere with the investigation.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I usually hate defaulting to "is anyone surprised?" as a response, but it is exactly zero surprise that it comes from that awful Siege community.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
" banned over 80 times"
HarshMetallicAmericanblackvulture-size_restricted.gif

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
ROFL he even used his chat with the reporter to demand that he "politely ask Ubisoft to unban him because he spent over €1500 on cosmetics in the game".

Jesus Christ some people are pathetic... He just doesn't get it, does he?

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
I don't know if giving a platform to an individual with zero remorse is a good idea. While La Presse is only practicing its mandate, its a bit irresponsible to give such a platform to a person who clearly suffers from serious issues. How can anyone be proud of this?

He needs treatment and clearly support, not an article discussing his various "accomplishments". I do appreciate La Presse's effort to include a portion explaining how the video game industry is not equipped to deal with those threats, though. It shows that there's a lot of education left to be done on the subject, and resources to be developped.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The ownership some gamers have over certain franchises because they spent a lot of time and money on dlc, cosmetics, packaged games etc. and translating that into a carte Blanche to abuse and harass devs is an endemic issue in this industry.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
He got banned 80 times in separate accounts, right? It can't be possible that Ubi would have let him get back ever after ban number three.

Also if the only way you enjoy a game is by cheating maybe you should be playing a different game?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How many alts did they have on Era, and how many garbage websites did they whine about it on?

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/...020/fausse-prise-d-otages-vraie-vengeance.php

Via Google translate:

The hoax caused a huge commotion, causing hundreds of police officers, an armored truck, tracking dogs and the tactical squad of the SPVM to be moved. The alleged cause of this false hostage-taking? A player who wanted revenge for being banned by Ubisoft from the Rainbow Six game and who wanted the power to ban other players in turn.

Yanni Ouahioune, also known under the name of Yannox keyboard or Y4nn0XX, has been banned more than 80 times from the Rainbow Six game by Ubisoft's "ethics committee" for cheating, according to a denunciation by the SPVM seeking to obtain confirmation of their identity by the Snapchat messaging service.

Contacted by La Presse on Snapchat, Mr. Ouahioune admitted that he was indicted by the French authorities for having created a fake Ubisoft site aiming to steal the accounts of other Rainbow Six players by making them reveal their words password. He also admitted to having been involved in a swatting case , in 2017, a means of harassment from the world of video games which consists of moving the police to a place to take revenge on an opponent.

According to court documents obtained by La Presse , the suspect of the false hostage-taking of November 13 contacted 911 at 1:11 p.m. He then reported that five men demanded a ransom of $ 2 million to free 40 employees, for lack of what he was going to "blow up everything".

To deceive the police, he allegedly used a telephone hacking technique called spoofing , making it appear that the call came from Ubisoft's general number, therefore from inside the offices.

What an utter psychopath

For reference:
www.resetera.com

Possible hostage situation at Ubisoft Montreal studios [up: police says no threat found for now, building being evacuated, no one injured] News

[UPDATE: Confirmed to be a swatting call. There was nothing. Everyone is safe.] https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2020/11/13/possible-prise-dotages-chez-ubisoft-a-montreal "A group of suspects are possibly keeping dozens of people hostage at the Ubisoft Montreal offices. More details to...

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Via Google translate
Yep, looks like.

No wanky wankies for me when I asked it:
The hoax caused a huge commotion, causing hundreds of police officers, an armored truck, tracking dogs and the tactical squad of the SPVM to be moved. The alleged cause of this false hostage-taking? A player who wanted revenge for being banned by Ubisoft from the Rainbow Six game and who wanted the power to ban other players in turn.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot I was using Edge and MS's machine translations are pretty bad, so I replaced it with google's

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Shooters certainly always gather the best people from all walks of life don't they?

I mean, same shit with that Genshin Impact fan who tried to stab the two heads of the company. I think we just see more examples of this with shooters because they collectively have obscenely large userbases, so it's just a much bigger sample size.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Ubisoft attracts all kinds of cheaters. First the director of AC Valhalla, now this guy.