• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Get the impression people are mansplaining to men here. This is one of the few areas where patriarchal culture really works against male fathers.

Yes... women are womansplaining to men about being victims of patriarchy... because we have no idea what that's like.

Pro tip: literally all of this is rooted in misogyny and expectations of women to be perfect mothers.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No I mean there are presumably men in this thread explaining why the article writer, a gay father, is wrong about his experiences with fatherhood.

Pro tip: literally all of this is rooted in misogyny and expectations of women to be perfect mothers.
You'll find no disagreement from me here. Society needs to give fathers more benefit of the doubt, and remove some of the expectations of child rearing from women.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Is anybody being a victim and being frail... or are people just complaining and venting, and wanting to make the world a better place?

Your post comes off very strongly as, "Shut up, accept your place in society, and do it with a smile." I disagree with this idea. I think most of the parents here are identifying a problem, and shining a light on that problems helps identify it and helps fix it. Even if it doesn't lead to change, parents talking to each other, venting, and supporting each other can also be good, cathartic, and helpful. New parents often feel like "They're the only ones" or that they're alone in something, so when people get into a group and share similar stories, it can help those people become better parents even if all it does is let something off their chest that's bothering them.

You can complain on the internet all you want if it makes you feel better.
If you are, however, feeling depressed getting unsolicited advice as a parent, you are beyond the pale and should be getting professional help because there is clearly something going on in your life besides the advice. Tying unsolicited advice to shaking your baby is disingenuous at best. I would argue most of those people didn't want to be a father in the first place. Being told how to change a diaper or how to feed a baby isn't going to lead to a father shaking his fucking baby. Get out of here with that Olympian level stretch. All parents get unsolicited advice, male and female.

The homophobic messages the gentleman received were that, homophobic, but getting bad advise from strangers and getting applauded for simple parenting as a father is par for the course. These behaviors change with time, and calling it sexist on the internet will not lead to changes in the behavior. It comes across as MRA bullshit, personally.

"This is bad because it is happening to me! " No, it happens to everyone with kids. What's sexist is the pay gap. What's sexist is non existent paternal leave in most of the US. Getting told you are "babysitting" your child is a minor annoyance at best.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The author is soft as hell. I read this thing a few times to see if it changed my mind and it didn't, especially when juxtaposed against the pictures of a white guy and the whole piece is thick with that privilege.

5£ says there's a daddy group that he could've gone to and that little anecdote about the mommy group actually pissed me off. Mothers are there to support other mothers and connect with women. Like, let them have their space to talk about things that are unique to them, which they might feel uncomfortable discussing with a man around, gay or not.

Did he experience homophobia? Sure did. But to call it misandry and compare that to sexism that women face as mothers? That's a step too far for me. You should be calling out men for being fuck up fathers and propagating the patriarchy before calling women misandrists.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit described certainly does happen. You quickly learn to give no fucks, not a big deal.

The author is soft as hell. I read this thing a few times to see if it changed my mind and it didn't, especially when juxtaposed against the pictures of a white guy and the whole piece is thick with that privilege.

5£ says there's a daddy group that he could've gone to and that little anecdote about the mommy group actually pissed me off. Mothers are there to support other mothers and connect with women. Like, let them have their space to talk about things that are unique to them, which they might feel uncomfortable discussing with a man around, gay or not.

Did he experience homophobia? Sure did. But to call it misandry and compare that to sexism that women face as mothers? That's a step too far for me. You should be calling out men for being fuck up fathers and propagating the patriarchy before calling women misandrists.

Most places there's no such thing as a daddy group.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

If you are, however, feeling depressed getting unsolicited advice as a parent, you are beyond the pale and should be getting professional help because there is clearly something going on in your life besides the advice. Tying unsolicited advice to shaking your baby is disingenuous at best. I would argue most of those people didn't want to be a father in the first place. Being told how to change a diaper or how to feed a baby isn't going to lead to a father shaking his fucking baby. Get out of here with that Olympian level stretch. All parents get unsolicited advice, male and female.

The homophobic messages the gentleman received were that, homophobic, but getting bad advise from strangers and getting applauded for simple parenting as a father is par for the course. These behaviors change with time, and calling it sexist on the internet will not lead to changes in the behavior. It comes across as MRA bullshit, personally.

No, the thing parents in this thread are complaining about is the MRA bull shit. The implicit and explicit notion that only mothers can parent effectively and that men should man up and start being men again or what have you is the MRA bull shit. Concepts like "A woman's place is in the kitchen" is the flipside of "A man's place is to grin and bear it and do the man's job," and other old stereotypes. That is the sexist, chauvinistic platform.

That said, though, I'm not feeling depressed about unsolicited advice about being a parent, and I don't need professional help. If you read my post, and that was your take away, then you need to take 5minutes, re-read a post multiple times, and then reply to it. I also wasn't saying that unsolicited advice leads to shaking a baby, but rather, that the same thing that leads to unsolicited advice is what contributes to the idea that you're espousing: that parents need to stop whining or complaining, buck up because they're not victims, or what have you, and that is what stigmatizes depression and anxiety in parents, and that is a contributor to things like shaking babies (there is good academic research the connection between paternal postpartem depression and shaken baby syndrome)

Your post is needlessly argumentative. If you don't feel comfortable having a discussion about something, instead of just being antagonistic and argumentative, then don't.

"This is bad because it is happening to me! " No, it happens to everyone with kids. What's sexist is the pay gap. What's sexist is non existent paternal leave in most of the US. Getting told you are "babysitting" your child is a minor annoyance at best.

Just noticed your edit. Do you not see how these things are tied together? The sexist pay gap, the lack of paternity leave, and the things people are talking about in this thread (whether it's condescending advice, or the person who thought that a father was abducting a child, the general de-emphasis on fathers as parents as opposed to mothers, etc) are all related to each other. The sexist pay gap is partly because women were given reduced places in the workplace which is partly because men were never given paternity leave which was partly because parenting is stigmatized as a place for women and not men, or at least that a woman's role is supposed to be one thing, while a men's role is supposed to be another.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the frequent criticisms of MRAs is that they don't actually contribute materially to social work for men, not that the idea of "men's rights" is inherently invalid. Fatherhood is, again, one of the few areas of life where men have more difficulty assuming the role of child rearers because society expects it of women and women exclusively. Nursing is another similar case. So when an actual father is trying to draw attention to real social biases fathers face, accusing him of being an MRA is reversing cause and effect.

Self styled MRAs are typically dog whistling misogynists. Calling the writer "soft" and that he needs to stop whining is ironically part and parcel of why we don't view men as natural caregivers. How do you expect this attitude to change if you won't give it due credit for being a legitimate cause?

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
No, the thing parents in this thread are complaining about is the MRA bull shit. The implicit and explicit notion that only mothers can parent effectively and that men should man up and start being men again or what have you is the MRA bull shit. Concepts like "A woman's place is in the kitchen" is the flipside of "A man's place is to grin and bear it and do the man's job," and other old stereotypes. That is the sexist, chauvinistic platform.

THANK YOU! These concerns aren't an attack on women, they're a critique of toxic masculinity and strictly adhered to gender roles and the biases we end up with from them. The posters that keep calling the couple soft or whiny are only reinforcing their point.

Nov 9, 2017

I don't see it very often, but this seems like some actual real world misandry right here.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017

That said, though, I'm not feeling depressed about unsolicited advice about being a parent, and I don't need professional help. If you read my post, and that was your take away, then you need to take 5minutes, re-read a post multiple times, and then reply to it. I also wasn't saying that unsolicited advice leads to shaking a baby, but rather, that the same thing that leads to unsolicited advice is what contributes to the idea that you're espousing: that parents need to stop whining or complaining, buck up because they're not victims, or what have you, and that is what stigmatizes depression and anxiety in parents, and that is a contributor to things like shaking babies.

Your post is needlessly argumentative. If you don't feel comfortable having a discussion about something, instead of just being antagonistic and argumentative, then don't.

You glossed over my main point to believe that I was accusing by you of needing help when I was talking in the general sense. This is what I mean by frailty. Not in terms of gender roles but in terms of the need to be a victim. You jump straight to the defensive when you brought this depression nonsense into the conversation.

My main point is why this came across as MRA bullshit, the gentleman has help and support groups if he looked for them, he's not complaining about sexism at all, just what happened to him, and that makes it disingenuous to me.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard of this kind of thing happening to people but reading the story was pretty shocking.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Part of the reason this story is even noteworthy is because this is one of the exceedingly few scenarios where there likely actually *isn't* a group for him to go to that's intended for men.
They are in the UK. There are actually father support groups in the UK. They are not in the third world country that is the US.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this behavior is ok and the dude needs to go somewhere else instead of people not treating him like an incompetent jackass?

Hmmm...women try to create a safe space for themselves and MEN wonder why men that go into those spaces aren't treated special or handled with kid gloves. This is your argument? Did you read my first post in this thread?

Women don't owe us shit. It's upto us men to clean up the mess that we created. This isn't some macho bullshit. You put in work regardless of the bullshit you get for being a man and don't expect a pat on the back.

I don't see it very often, but this seems like some actual real world misandry right here.
Yeah, I must wallow in my self hate.

Part of the reason this story is even noteworthy is because this is one of the exceedingly few scenarios where there likely actually *isn't* a group for him to go to that's intended for men.
I'd actually argue that the hook for this story is that he's gay and expected better treatment because of it since he isn't one of the "bad ones."

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Okay, but the linked article isn't talking about support groups, nor do I think that the author of the article is asking for support groups. He took his baby to a sensory class. He just happened to be the only father there.
He took his child to a safe space for women and wasn't treated special.

I don't really feel any sorrow for the guy, I am sorry. Those are the kinds of things any reasonable person would take on the chin with the understanding and empathy of why these spaces are created.

Essentially, I agree with Power of Sparda.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really feel any sorrow for the guy, I am sorry. Those are the kinds of things any reasonable person would take on the chin with the understanding and empathy of why these spaces are created.

You are being disingenuous. Must have glossed over the part when they were at a restaurant and the person said

"Two men cannot look after a baby. Next time bring a woman," she scolded us.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hmmm...women try to create a safe space for themselves and MEN wonder why men that go into those spaces aren't treated special or handled with kid gloves. This is your argument? Did you read my first post in this thread?

Women don't owe us shit. It's upto us men to clean up the mess that we created. This isn't some macho bullshit. You put in work regardless of the bullshit you get for being a man and don't expect a pat on the back.

I'd actually argue that the hook for this story is that he's gay and expected better treatment because of it since he isn't one of the "bad ones."
Mind pointing out where it was specified that he took his daughter to safe spaces for women? Reading the article made it seem like he took her to regular places.

Basically, some receipts would be nice.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It needs to be said that homophobia is rooted in patriarchy as much as sexism, because it is based on the disgust conservatives (both men and women) have for men operating outside the norms prescribed for men, one of which is being the stay at home parent of a two parent household.

Criticizing him for trying to draw attention to the ways our patriarchal culture stifles either sex is unreasonable. He's actually personally upending the social expectations of the heteronormative nuclear family. He, and fathers like him should be supported, as much as we would support women who reject the expectations of being mothers in modern society.

You can't neatly separate social issues into the piles of "isms" and "ias". It's all interconnected.

Last edited:

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mind pointing out where it was specified that he took his daughter to safe spaces for women? Reading the article made it seem like he took her to regular places.

Basically, some receipts would be nice.
You're the one that made the assumption. All I did was point out that it was stupid.

edit: scratch that. He talks about mommy/baby groups and complains about there only being daddy groups on weekends and how he felt excluded from groups he thought could help him.

Last edited:

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
God if anyone had tried any horse shit like this when I was out with my baby I woulda lost mah damn mind....

How are people so fuckin invested in other people's lives? Like who even cares about some family with a kid. Move the f along...

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Is anybody being a victim and being frail... or are people just complaining and venting, and wanting to make the world a better place?

Your post comes off very strongly as, "Shut up, accept your place in society, and do it with a smile." I disagree with this idea. I think most of the parents here are identifying a problem, and shining a light on that problems helps identify it and helps fix it. Even if it doesn't lead to change, parents talking to each other, venting, and supporting each other can also be good, cathartic, and helpful. New parents often feel like "They're the only ones" or that they're alone in something, so when people get into a group and share similar stories, it can help those people become better parents even if all it does is let something off their chest that's bothering them.

I was in a newborn care class yesterday, and there was a segment on post partem depression, which is thankfully something that society has just started to take seriously in the last couple decades (Although people from an older generation still disregard it and pretend like it's just a weakness in some broken mothers, or that mothers feeling anxiety and depression need to "stop complaining" or "stop being weak"). Something I was glad to see was on the next slide the proctor of the class also brought up depression in fathers, something you never see discussed anywhere and would be intensely taboo to bring up in American society... precisely because of positions like yours. The proctor tied it all back, too, it's not just fathers "being weak" or "wanting to be victims"... but that unaddressed depression in fathers can be a leading contributor to shaken baby and sudden infant death syndrome... Because fathers are generally told by society, either implicitly or explicitly, to man up and stop complaining, and then that depression, anxiety, or mental distress can manifest itself in a deadly way.

I don't think there's anything to gain by burying things like this, or manning up, toughen up, etc., it only makes society worse. Where as, shining a light on them only makes society better. Pointing out problems in one aspect of society doesn't toss dirt on other problems in society, it doesn't make problems contributing to your victimhood any less important or less relevant.

Yeah, I'd also add that in addition to being annoying and condescending about "Daddy babysitting," is that this also reinforces the sexist/harmful idea that only mother should be parenting, or that "a mothers place is parenting," while it's unusual for the dad to be parenting. My wife complained about this with one of her friends on Facebook who often posts something like, "[Dad] is home babysitting the girls today!" and my wife is like, fuck that, he's parenting not babysitting, and if you need to "book your husband to babysit the kids" so you can go out and do stuff then that's not a balanced family relationship. This is the kind of attitude that reinforces gender pay gap and other things that hold women back from an equitable place in society.
im quoting this because its so fucking true.

I've actually made dates for my wife to go out with her friends because she wouldnt do it at first. She of course would let me go anytime i wanted to go to like an astros game. And im not babysitting my own fucking kids, so patronizing when people say that shit about dads.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

I don't think that infant sensory classes are intended to be specifically spaces for women. Viewing spaces pertaining to childcare exclusively as places for women is part of the problem that the article is talking about.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's going into spaces designated specifically for mothers and asking to be treated like he's special. He's asking to take his baby to a place where parents take their babies and be treated like a competent parent.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

way to totally miss the point, at no point did his post equate at all, getting unsolicited advice with the cause of depression. FFS.

my wife had post partem dpression after both of our kids. She's a PhD, licensed and certified therapist, i think she knows just a little about depression. Her depression has 0 to do with any advice she got from anyone.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
way to totally miss the point, at no point did his post equate at all, getting unsolicited advice with the cause of depression. FFS.

my wife had post partem dpression after both of our kids. She's a PhD, licensed and certified therapist, i think she knows just a little about depression. Her depression has 0 to do with any advice she got from anyone.
That was my point, though. That getting depression from unsolicited advice is unlikely and there are likely other problems you are dealing with.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
That was my point, though. That getting depression from unsolicited advice is unlikely and there are likely other problems you are dealing with.
again, your missing his point go back and re-read his post. His point was your post comes off as very much part of the stigma of depression, "if your depressed, suck it up and deal" if that's not your intention thats how your post came off to me as well.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes... women are womansplaining to men about being victims of patriarchy... because we have no idea what that's like.

Agreed. The frailty here and the need to be a victim of sexism is deplorable.

I walk with my daughter all the time.
I get unsolicited advice, I smile and nod.
This shit doesn't even enter my mind. I don't care what strangers think. I was speaking to coworkers about my baby teething, and some woman came out of nowhere to give like commonly googleable advise about freezing teething rings. I smiled, nodded, and moved on with my life. I am boggled that this is rage inducing to some of you.

To someone who is an actual victim of this country due to my skin color, like. . .stop trying to be victims, it's pathetic. There is no need to make yourself one. It's not something you truly wish to be, trust.
Amen!

lmao too many truth bombs.
There might not be one in Nowheresville, USA, but there's a zero chance there's not one in London, where the guys live.
yeah, he's full of it. Meetup.com was suggested to me and there were Father's groups on there. If for some reason he couldn't find one in the city of London he was free to create one. I'm sure there's like-minded fathers in that city full of people.
You are being disingenuous. Must have glossed over the part when they were at a restaurant and the person said
That is in no way sexist. The waitress was attacking them for being a gay couple! "Two (gay) dudes can't take care of a kid, where's the woman?". If my brother and I were at the restaurant with my son, that waitress wouldn't say anything.

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Amen!

yeah, he's full of it. Meetup.com was suggested to me and there were Father's groups on there. If for some reason he couldn't find one in the city of London he was free to create one. I'm sure there's like-minded fathers in that city full of people.

That is in no way sexist. The waitress was attacking them for being a gay couple! "Two (gay) dudes can't take care of a kid, where's the woman?". If my brother and I were at the restaurant with my son, that waitress wouldn't say anything.
I disagree, do you believe that if it was 2 gay women they'd get a similar comment?

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
again, your missing his point go back and re-read his post. His point was your post comes off as very much part of the stigma of depression, "if your depressed, suck it up and deal" if that's not your intention thats how your post came off to me as well.
No, my post was if you are depressed, get professional help. But the depression is there (underlying), and won't be triggered by dumb advice by strangers.

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Amen!

What are your thoughts on microaggressions?