• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So I tried the smoke, but it seems you can't stealth kill when they are glowing red?
Stomp seems good but they hardly fall on the floor. I got the kick move as well so hopefully I can rely on it.
Handgun is now on 30% crit. Aiming for heads in this game is very difficult though. I did not know crit is an instant kill, might upgrade it further now.

I think the other enemies are balanced well (the white witch, those crawly things) but the reg enemies really annoy me in how many bullets they took.
Smoke Bolts have some really good uses, but stealth-killing the enemies in the smoke is actually on the upgrade chain with weapon parts for that type of bolt.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finally moved on to chapter 4 but I'm not even sure I did all possible side stuff, definitely cleared all the green signals, found corpses and had some extra scenes. I considered checking a guide but that would take me out of the game. I'm not going to bother with it, at least not on this first run. Think I'm already at 5 to 6 hours at the start of ch4. Compliment to the devs that they made a more open environment work so well in this type of game.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, just spent 45 minutes running around (Chapter 14)
fighting Laura and every time I flick the switch she just grabs and me and slashes me for 90% of my health
stun crossbows don't work as
she teleports
and they disappear.

This is such a waste of time. What an awful place to put this boss fight, at such a climactic moment. No, I don't have the
flamethrower

Edit: in true forum complaining fashion, I just did it but I still think that was a terrible place to put a boss fight like that.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just completed the game. Will write more in-depth impressions later. Overall I enjoyed the first one much more, but this game had higher highs and lower lows, the latter which, to me, is reflected after leaving Union and the towns where it transforms into Hell and other weird shit. I appreciated that stuff in the first game and not so much in this one.

I went in completely blind and so I did not know what to expect. I will say that I was ecstatic for the first three to five chapters playing in the suburbs. That was PHENOMENAL. But once it became linear it kind of lost its appeal to me.

Pretty disappointed in that regard. The beginning sections made me think that this game would have been considerably better if it took place solely in a much larger suburb that gradually degraded and transformed, with slight deviations from time to time to allow for the psychological thriller we've come to know from the first.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10. Couldn't wait to finish the game by the time chapter 9 came along - I was that exhausted by the game, and not in a good way.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, just spent 45 minutes running around (Chapter 14)
fighting Laura and every time I flick the switch she just grabs and me and slashes me for 90% of my health
stun crossbows don't work as
she teleports
and they disappear.

This is such a waste of time. What an awful place to put this boss fight, at such a climactic moment. No, I don't have the
flamethrower

Edit: in true forum complaining fashion, I just did it but I still think that was a terrible place to put a boss fight like that.

She's not that hard, actually she's MUCH easier than she was in the original game. I beat without the flamethrower either on my first try, I didn't try using stun bolts but I've watched one LP of TEW2 at this point where they used Stun Bolts successfully, though they did decide freeze bolts were better for Laura. How I beat her blind on nightmare difficulty was just lure her to one side of the level away from the valve I wanted (since the valve are in corners), then just run and turn the valve I wanted to turn. That worked for me, so I actually thought the boss was surprisingly easy as I beat her on my first try on Nightmare difficulty without using any sort of ammo, and especially as her one hit attack is no longer as much vicinity based as it used to be as her wind-up to do it is slower.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I really love the game, except for the shooting which isn't great. Doing all the SR challenges might be too hard for me.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Checked out the trial. I'm surprised at what the open-world component does for this game. The tempo of the gameplay in Chapter 3 actually reminds me of Resident Evil 2. Combining that with Evil Within's evolved-RE4-style gamepaly turns the game into something of a merger of pre-action Resident Evil's exploration and post-action Resident Evil's combat.

Now it's not actually structured like RE2 -- it's less of a big puzzle and more of just a big space, but running around for resources and occasionally solving isolated "events" littered throughout a small town still feels somewhat similar to more traditional survival horror games. It makes me wish there was a Dead Space game that was more open-ended.

I'll probably get back on the full game when I finish RE7.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
TEW 2 is 25€ right now on EU PSN. Worth it?

Edit: Screw it, bought. Gotta save player 1.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The Evil Within 2 from 70 euros to 25 euros is the best deal that happened this year and so quickly too.
Please confirm to me that this game won't get future DLCs or Season Pass or whatver like the first game. I don't want want to be surprised by a surprise Season Pass that will cost as much or more than the current price of the game.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure what the point of that plot point was for collecting all 11 projector slides. It was glossed over so quickly. If I was Sebastian is be like wtf how can you drop that info on me now and not tell me anymore. Lol

Made me feel like Re7. Gonna assume there's story dlc.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Finished it on Saturday and I think it'll be 3rd in my GotY list.

I only found 10/32 locker keys even though It took me 20 hours to beat the game. They are mostly well hidden.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
About to start this on base ps4, CA on or Off? I usually disable it but I know this game has a lot of visual tricks going on and psychedelic stuff and all that so maybe CA is worth keeping?

I also usually always turn film grain off but left it on in the 1st game because it made it seem more like an old horror flick.

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't really important, but do current prints of the game (Amazon mainly) for console still come with the reversible cover? I already played this on PC but was thinking of maybe picking it up for the Xboner for u$30 and play through it again there like I did with the first. iirc back in 2014 only the first prints of Wolfenstein TNO/TEW came with the reversible covers and some months post release they just showed the controls like most games.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I can't get over how they made Sebastian look like Nathan Drake in this game for no reason lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Sebastian, the uncharted evil fortune is within!
It really bugged me that when you first go in to STEM you see his trench coat but can't equip it ;_;

Also I know Kidman's voice actress changed, but did they change her face/hair a lot too? At first I thought she was supposed to be Lily lol.

Anyway, chapter 2 is bonkers good so far. I thought I'd miss the steampunk type aesthetic of 1 but the photography/banner stuff is so cool. Weird that the starting weapon is a semi auto pistol though, I miss my trusty revolver already.

And yeah no matches is just sad.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also do they ever explain the mobius stuff because I played the dlc for the first game and the ending with Kidman killing off the boss is kinda at odds with the start of this game? Like. What?

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, they slightly redesigned the characters. Kidman's hair is different, face is slightly different and she's cuter. Sebastian is pretty plain looking now and no longer a Hot Boi with a Hot Voice.

The Administrator Kidman kills and talks to in the DLC is part of her subconscious, it's not the "real" one you see in 2.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So what do ya'll think happens to the black guy after he takes his bath? lol

That side quest resolution has to be related to the bomb Kidman drops after you collect all the slides and you find out
Joseph is alive right? I don't have any other evidence but I'm guessing maybe he tried to get out and got lost in the Stem.
Or were there any other hints in the game that I missed? DLC or TEW3 I guess :P

Oct 28, 2017
It's never outright confirmed in the games, but considering she shoots him in the head and he tries to murder her multiple times in the DLC, plus all the flashbacks to Kidman's childhood and Ruvik's trolling you're meant to assume The Administrator in the DLC is not real and just part of her fears.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get the Handyman trophy to pop, even though I reloaded a chapter 13 save and got the flamethrower working and created some ammo for it.

I guess it needs to all be done on one playthru.

https://www.trueachievements.com/viewcomment.aspx?commentid=1131933#vch

Crafting something and then reloading your save won't count for the trophy. Magnum ammo is the one preventing you from getting the trophy since that can't be done until NG+. So if you missed crafting some flamethrower fuel, you'll need to play through the game again.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I can't get over how they made Sebastian look like Nathan Drake in this game for no reason lol

Although both have different body build, The Evil Within 2's Sebastian design did reminds me of Nate in U4.

The clothes particularly.

Uncharted-4-Review-1170x658.jpg

The-Evil-Within-2-screenshots-gallery-10-06-2017-6-620x320.jpg

And also Bruce Willis (as John McClane) in Die Hard 4.0, lol.

3c8c4b1378fa704c4427b6e6370e239f.jpg

Nov 15, 2017
Just finished this - excellent game. Although I really liked the first one, three years have passed and I did not expect to be quite so blown away by the sequel - I got it because it was half price in a black friday sale, but I've had such a blast with it, took me 22 hours on normal difficulty.

When I read about this game beforehand, I pretty much rolled my eyes at the prospect of open world segments, as I'm just so bored of them and part of the reason I liked the first so much is that it felt so tight as a linear experience. This game did it right though, because the world is so detailed and exploring lets you come across so many unique encounters and side missions, it just feels so rewarding.

Shame it hasn't sold so well, I'd LOVE to see a sequal, or at least some DLC.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Although both have different body build, The Evil Within 2's Sebastian design did reminds me of Nate in U4.

The clothes particularly.

Uncharted-4-Review-1170x658.jpg

The-Evil-Within-2-screenshots-gallery-10-06-2017-6-620x320.jpg

And also Bruce Willis (as John McClane) in Die Hard 4.0, lol.

3c8c4b1378fa704c4427b6e6370e239f.jpg
Yep, his young face is really Drake and hid outfit is 1:1 uc4 Drake too. It's odd.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original game is garbage for a bunch of reasons.

I played the first three chapters of this game and it's sooooooo much better so far. Pretty stoked about it.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The first gane has it's own jank.

I'm playing on PS3 by the way.

Screen tearing.

Textures loading.

Framerate drops.

Nevertheless I enjoy it.

The gameplay has its own pros & cons.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Crafting something and then reloading your save won't count for the trophy. Magnum ammo is the one preventing you from getting the trophy since that can't be done until NG+. So if you missed crafting some flamethrower fuel, you'll need to play through the game again.

Thanks.

I am up to chapter 4 on NG+ now, but I want to take a break once I upgrade all my skills and weapons. I got TEW2, AC Origins and Titanfall 2 in the Black Friday sales, and I've barely played the latter two. It is a lot of fun mowing down the enemies with the upgraded weapons, particularly the smoke bolts.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finally completed the game after buying it right after release. The open world parts in Union are very well done although the pacing suffers for it. I found the story to be less interesting than in the first game, where the mystery and not being aware of STEM was much more prevalent. Boss battles were mostly good, I really liked the one with the throwbacks to the first game.

Overall I've had a very good time but the game lacks the surprise factor that the first one had.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Somehow I missed one of the coffee machines on both playthrus and didn't get the trophy. I was sure I had drunk a mug at all of them, and when I watched a video of the 7 locations I didn't notice any that I had missed.

But I got the Handyman trophy in chapter 13 when I assembled the chainsaw and crafted some ammo for it. And I just need the residual memory in chapter 14 to get all 24.

Last edited:

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I wanted to torture myself so I started a playthrough on Classic difficulty.

I'm on chapter 13 now, and got a save about 5 min before the
walking through flaming hell segment. It took me 4 tries before I finally got through that crap, then I spent half an hour or more killing all enemies in the next segment (to be on the safe side). And then at the place with the second flamethrower guy, he somehow sees me and then one hit kills me. Can't remember last time I raged that much.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to torture myself so I started a playthrough on Classic difficulty.

I'm on chapter 13 now, and got a save about 5 min before the
walking through flaming hell segment. It took me 4 tries before I finally got through that crap, then I spent half an hour or more killing all enemies in the next segment (to be on the safe side). And then at the place with the second flamethrower guy, he somehow sees me and then one hit kills me. Can't remember last time I raged that much.

I'm finishing my second playthrough on casual and then jumping right to classic. Uhoh I will regret it

DoktorWampe

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought the game in the PSN Sale. i liked the first one, even tho i´ve never beaten it. Wow what a pleasent surprise part deux is ! I am not that far into the game, but overall i like it more than its predecessor. The open gameplay is a welcome change for this kind of game, i like that.

Nov 29, 2017
Beaufort SC
I have this game on PC, haven't had a chance to play it yet, it is part of my backlog for PC, PS4, and Switch games. There are just too many games out there.

Anyway, how does the game run and look? I have an EVGA 1080 FTW2 and a 7700k. Do I need to know anything, like certain settings or tips to make it run great. I'd like to play it in 4K on my monitors if my GPU can handle it.

Thanks for any advice you ladies and gents may give.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in chapter 3 now and still holding off on buying upgrades. Not sure what I should spend my green gel on - any tips for a newcomer which upgrades are the most useful?

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Once you've steadied your aim a couple of times, I recommend getting the stealth upgrades. Being able to crouch walk faster really helps, and stabbing the monsters to death never gets old.