• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I found the first game to be rather unremarkable with some good set pieces in the beginning and the DLC being the stand out of the game; I've just started 2 tonight.

The story seems a bit forced so far, I feel. But I'm only like 20-30 mins in. I'm throughly spooked as well so there's something I've found better than the first already.

I've heard this was way better than the first, I just wish I loved the first as much as everyone else so I'm hoping to get out of this what I expected from the TEW1.

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this game the other day. I liked the first one better. This one lacked tension and became predictable after awhile. While I do appreciate doing away with one-hit kills from the first game, this game really lacks the strategic focus that was crucial in the first game. I don't find the open world approach to be that compelling, if anything by design it encourages scavenger hunting and increases resources.

I miss the mystery from the first game where you can't really figure out what's going on but the whole thing felt fucked up, and then as you collect each missing person poster you realized that fuck everyone is gone, including the nurse you been talking to this whole time.

Still a good game tho. AAA horror game is unheard of nowadays, and this sequel took chances to be different or expand on the first game (story telling, crafting, skills).

On a slightly unrelated note, I was playing Bloodborne before jumping into this game, and given the similarity in focus in terms of stamina management, this game made me appreciate Bloodborne's control much more. I find Seb at times to be too clunky and slow, even with the predator skills.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost done with this game. Really have enjoyed my time with it.

Would be in my amended Top 10 for this year. For reference, I think the first TEW is complete garbage.

Also, any tips on the Very Hard shooting gallery? Or is it a practice makes perfect type of deal?

Oct 27, 2017
My god I was not expecting this game to be as good as it actually is but wow.

TEW 2 is fantastic! The humor is great, the gameplay is nice, the story is definitely better than the first, the amount of content is satisfying!

It hits all the pleasure centers of my brain!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is the handgun in this game as utilitarian as the revolver from 1? Should I be upgrading it or waiting for a different go to weapon? So far I've been using all my weapon parts on upgrading the crossbow

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Finished the game the other night, really disliked it compared to the first game.

Is the handgun in this game as utilitarian as the revolver from 1? Should I be upgrading it or waiting for a different go to weapon? So far I've been using all my weapon parts on upgrading the crossbow
I used the handgun and shotgun for 95% of the game, you'll be fine.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Finished the game the other night, really disliked it compared to the first game.

I used the handgun and shotgun for 95% of the game, you'll be fine.
Ah ok, so same as the first then with prioritizing critical and all that?

Edit: and yeah I definitely enjoyed the first game more at this point. Still early on but I have a few complaints that weren't even present in 1 at all.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Also, any tips on the Very Hard shooting gallery? Or is it a practice makes perfect type of deal?

I used the
Assault rifle
after I upgraded most of it. Not sure if it's any better than the handgun, but after spending many tries with the handgun I gave up with that.

Yesterday I finally completed the game on Classic difficulty. Aside from chapter 13-14 it's really not that bad, there's lots of stuff you can skip or run from and as if you plan your save points right it wont be so bad if you die.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Still exploring in chapter 3, is there going to be a point where I know I'm advancing and will be able to go back and clear out what I missed or should I do everything before going to the orange circle for the main story first?

DoktorWampe

Oct 30, 2017
Oh god i think i god a heart attack yesterday:

the first time you meet this ghostly freaking girl, and her chanting comes right out of the controller and she just screamed "Sebastian" right in front of my face....oh god i dropped the controller and had to take a smoke to relax a bit. I just wasn´t expecting that!

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm making my way through the game at a snails pace (last few days have been busy) I just finished the trial after completing everything I could find and unlocked the full game when the trial prompted me too.
What happens now with trophies I would have earned along the way? Do they pop later? or not at all?

Update: Well it seems the trophies acquired up to the cutoff point in chapter 3 are in fact lost.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god i think i god a heart attack yesterday:

the first time you meet this ghostly freaking girl, and her chanting comes right out of the controller and she just screamed "Sebastian" right in front of my face....oh god i dropped the controller and had to take a smoke to relax a bit. I just wasn´t expecting that!

I disabled controller sound after that .

DoktorWampe

Oct 30, 2017
If you disable controller sound, it just reroutes to headphones right? I hate the controller speaker but don't want to lose out on audio either.
Yeah it automatically reroutes the sound to your headphones when you plug it in.

So i am in Chapter 8 now and still baffled about the lack of attention that Evil Within 2 got. For me, this is a true successor to Resident Evil. Imagine a Raccoon City where you can freely roam around and fight Zombies, Licker and Tyrants etc... It will never happen but a man can dream.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I got the Platinum last night. Classic Mode fucking sucks since the game froze on me on two different occasions. Hey devs, crazy idea here, but maybe DON'T put in a mode where you have limited saves if your game has freezing issues!

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with TEW2 as a whole. A lot of what I loved about the original was lost (TEW1 had more bosses, had crazier environments, was better paced and more linear). This isn't to say I disliked the game. I still had fun with it but you can easily notice both Mikami's absence and the increased western focus.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So I started on Nightmare because it said "For players who enjoyed the difficulty of the first game." It feels noticeably harder than the first game. Is Survival in this game easier than Survival was in TEW1? If so, then it kind of sucks that there isn't a difficulty that corresponds to what was essentially normal in TEW1.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I beat this game the other day. I liked the first one better. This one lacked tension and became predictable after awhile. While I do appreciate doing away with one-hit kills from the first game, this game really lacks the strategic focus that was crucial in the first game. I don't find the open world approach to be that compelling, if anything by design it encourages scavenger hunting and increases resources.

I miss the mystery from the first game where you can't really figure out what's going on but the whole thing felt fucked up, and then as you collect each missing person poster you realized that fuck everyone is gone, including the nurse you been talking to this whole time.

Still a good game tho. AAA horror game is unheard of nowadays, and this sequel took chances to be different or expand on the first game (story telling, crafting, skills).

On a slightly unrelated note, I was playing Bloodborne before jumping into this game, and given the similarity in focus in terms of stamina management, this game made me appreciate Bloodborne's control much more. I find Seb at times to be too clunky and slow, even with the predator skills.

Yep, EW2 is too clean, westernized and even generic. Doesn't have any of that bizarre gritty creepy Japanese horror feeling which Mikami is known for. I truly hope he will direct the next game completely.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Potential dlc leak? Not mine, found on reddit. Seems too good to be true given the timeline , no?

https://www.reddit.com/r/theevilwit...about_dlc_and_yes_at/?st=JBPQF84C&sh=2f05231d

Yeah, as you said, too good to be true. Anyone could ''leak'' this as long as he finished the game and all side missions. One thing that gives it away as fake is

the part about Joseph. If there was a DLC about him, it would show us what happened to him after the first game (as the last slide and Kidman implies by saying ''that's a story for an other time'') and not after the second game.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I got the Platinum last night. Classic Mode fucking sucks since the game froze on me on two different occasions. Hey devs, crazy idea here, but maybe DON'T put in a mode where you have limited saves if your game has freezing issues!

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with TEW2 as a whole. A lot of what I loved about the original was lost (TEW1 had more bosses, had crazier environments, was better paced and more linear). This isn't to say I disliked the game. I still had fun with it but you can easily notice both Mikami's absence and the increased western focus.

Grats on the Platinum. I have the same feelings as you. The longer away from the game I get the more kind of disappointed I feel about it. It's a good game but it won't stick in my mind as much as the first did. It just all around feels very 'safe'.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
So I started on Nightmare because it said "For players who enjoyed the difficulty of the first game." It feels noticeably harder than the first game. Is Survival in this game easier than Survival was in TEW1?

Yes, Survival is easier, but when you look at how few people completed TEW on Survival, I understand why they did it. On PS4 27.9% of people have the Survivor trophy for TEW2, but only 10.2% have the Another Day on the Job trophy for completing TEW on Survival difficulty.

I almost bought TEW in the Xbox New Year's sale to play it again, but I got RE4 instead.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Survival is easier, but when you look at how few people completed TEW on Survival, I understand why they did it. On PS4 27.9% of people have the Survivor trophy for TEW2, but only 10.2% have the Another Day on the Job trophy for completing TEW on Survival difficulty.

I almost bought TEW in the Xbox New Year's sale to play it again, but I got RE4 instead.

Was TEW1 Survival that hard? I don't want to gloat but I don't remember anything particularly hard about it. I guess I died slightly more often in that game than I do in most modern AAA games, but TEW2 Nightmare feels markedly different. Maybe I just feel different because I played TEW1 like a survival horror game from the beginning and expected that kind of experience rather than a third person shooter.

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the difficulty in TEW1 came from so many enemies having instant kill attacks. According to my Steam screenshot of TEW1 from back in 2014 I died 39 times on Survival and I'm 90% sure the majority of those deaths were from Spider Woman, Garage monster, Ruvik and plenty other sections/enemies that had instant kills.

With TEW2 they greatly toned those down so my total death count was way less. There's also almost zero traps (what a dumb decision), so you can chill and sprint everywhere without a care in the world.

Peristerium

Oct 28, 2017

I agree. The open world makes the game much less scary and not as relentless. While my lazy ass appreciates this, there's something intense about the batshit insane nature of the first game.

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the game again on Nightmare last night. Once I got the corner sneak kill and the slow time skills it was pretty much over. Game can be tense sometimes but Stefano was such a throw away and he was gone too early and Theodore was a joke unfortunately....Which makes the game less scary than it should have been.

One boss I did have issue with was Laura. Tried to kill her with the flamethrower. Always ran out. But using the regular strat she is no match since she can be stunned with frozen and electric arrows.so I just skipped the trophy.

Scariest enemy besides the long hair woman is probably that woman with a knife....She can sprint (with her scary ass face right in your face ) and needs 2 sneak or machete hits to bring her down.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is up with these flamethrower assholes in Chapter 11?

First time playing, nightmare difficulty, and I literally don't have enough ammo on me to kill one. I had to stealth shank one, go back to save, and come back to shank him again a few times. They don't seem to have any weaknesses: they're pretty fast, extremely hard to stealth attack, and take ridiculous amounts of damage to kill.

BTW, I didn't follow that chick's trail into the restricted area of the Marrow yet, or start that other dude's side quest in the marrow yet. I just went back from Torres's safe house, through the Marrow, and straight to Post Plus.

Peristerium

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck is up with these flamethrower assholes in Chapter 11?

First time playing, nightmare difficulty, and I literally don't have enough ammo on me to kill one. I had to stealth shank one, go back to save, and come back to shank him again a few times. They don't seem to have any weaknesses: they're pretty fast, extremely hard to stealth attack, and take ridiculous amounts of damage to kill.

BTW, I didn't follow that chick's trail into the restricted area of the Marrow yet, or start that other dude's side quest in the marrow yet. I just went back from Torres's safe house, through the Marrow, and straight to Post Plus.

They're weak against smoke bow. 1 smoke bow should allow you to sneak kill at least 2 times. If you're lucky/fast 3. On Nightmare difficulty, they take about 4-5 stealth kills.

Mitochondrion

Oct 27, 2017
I am going to be doing Classic mode soon. Has anybody else done it? Where were your save points and any recommendations? I am planning to avoid every optional enemies as much as possible and stealth as much as I can. I will kill only enemies that are necessary to progress. Do you think the shotgun is worth picking up? I think it is tied to an optional side quest, if I remember correctly. Or can I just rely on the default handgun? I will definitely pick up the Warden Crossbow.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I am going to be doing Classic mode soon. Has anybody else done it? Where were your save points and any recommendations? I am planning to avoid every optional enemies as much as possible and stealth as much as I can. I will kill only enemies that are necessary to progress. Do you think the shotgun is worth picking up? I think it is tied to an optional side quest, if I remember correctly. Or can I just rely on the default handgun? I will definitely pick up the Warden Crossbow.

I saved these places:
1. Chapter 3, right before going to the pit stop. I got as much loot as possible, no side quests though and no sniper.
2. Chapter 5, before the crazy buzz saw fight. I avoided the fight and ran around to the backdoor.
3. Chapter 7, right before entering the theater.
4. Chapter 9. Before the partnering up with Torres. You can easily get killed in the house with Torres so I find it best to have a save right before.
5. Chapter 13. I saved right after the flamethrower boss because I panicked, but ideally you want the save in the hotel right before going through the flames.
6. Chapter 14. I had so much trouble with the walking through flames so I saved right after. It would be better to save right before the flashback bosses.
7. Chapter 16. Before the final boss.

You definately need the shotgun. Just go after the first one you can get. Cant remember where you get it, but its easy to get. The crossbow is a must. I got the sniper as well, but not in chapter 3, I got it in chapter 13. Its lying on the rooftop of the building across the theater.
Avoid as much fight as you can. But still loot as much as possible. Do the shooting range as it gives a lot of items. Always keep full heslth, if you scavenge a lot you will never run out of supplies for health, so keep it full just in case.
Keep away from the flamethrower guys in chapter 13 and 14. I wanted to do it slow and safe so I tried to stealthkill them in chapter 14, but they seem unpredictable and they can one hit kill you.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just ran in to a locked door that apparently opens up only later on in the story after spending 15 minutes looking for a solution... open world design though, ugh.

Edit:just finished chapter 3, should I skip past all of the
awakened enemies in the area? Or should I kill them... again

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yo these fucking demon dogs are ridiculous sponges.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yep, EW2 is too clean, westernized and even generic. Doesn't have any of that bizarre gritty creepy Japanese horror feeling which Mikami is known for. I truly hope he will direct the next game completely.
I'm still early on but I think I'm gonna agree with this through the end sadly.

Graphically and technically it's superior of course, framerate is more stable and letterboxing isn't a thing here. Although funnily enough flashbacks to the hospital from 1 letterbox the screen. Shooting in general feels punchier and I haven't run in to any bullshit one hit kills or gun toting zombies yet.

However. The open worldish design is just kinda there and doesn't really enhance anything. Spawning in an entire new wave of monsters at the start of chapter 4 in the exact same map I just cleared out through chapter 3 is just lame. It also hurts the batshit breakneck pacing that the first one had. The sidequests are cool but I don't like how conversations with npcs give you pointless dialog options that look stilted and odd, should just be cutscenes. Some of the new art is really good and I LOVE how they use film grain and CA but most of the general art stuff is less inspired than the first game's kinda steampunk Victorian horror type thing. Seb's outfit is literally just Nathan Drake in uncharted 4, I know he's not on the force anymore so the trench coat may have been out of place but still it's a boring design. No matches is such a lame change. Maybe I need to upgrade more stuff but aiming seems harder than the first game despite my sensitivity settings being the same for both, a few enemies (the crawly guys in particular) move way too fast for the type of game it is. Starting with a semi auto handgun as your bread and butter instead of a revolver is lame, doesn't feel as powerful and isn't as satisfying to upgrade. The random singing lady that spawns in the map is more annoying than frightening, since you're not in a confined area like Ruvik in 1 you just sprint away and wait for her to disappear.

Don't get me wrong I'm still enjoying it just because it's a solid survival/action horror overall... It's just a bit of a let down from what 1 did.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I started chapter 13. Did I just cheese the game?

I returned to the business district in Union in chapter 11, fought the flamethrower guys and other enemies, did the Sykes side quest, and cleared out all the items, but it seems I wasn't supposed to do any of that until chapter 13. When I came back in chapter 13 all the items had respawned but the enemies had not. It seems like I basically got all those items twice.

Maybe the flamethrower guys were so hard partly because you get multiple stronger weapons in chapters 11 and 12. When I fought those guys I didn't have the double-barrel shotgun, the flamethrower barrel, the assault rifle, or Sebastian's old revolver.

I think TEW2 absolutely has that Japanese horror feeling from REmake and RE4... in the interior environments. The art direction and the Stem engine don't seem to handle vegetation and other outdoors stuff as well.

Edit: But at first the open-world environments kinda do evoke RE2 and Silent Hill 1 a little bit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is the Predator skill in the stealth tree worth It? At 12k gel it's kinda pricey and looking it up it seems to be glitchy?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's a little finicky, but really liked using it. Make a save before buying it, then try it out a few times to be sure it's good for you, too.
I'll look in to it then, it'll be my final skill in the stealth tree I think. Any skills that I should absolutely stay away from because they're broken/bad?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I heard push kick was useless but that seems to be about it.

Got to the first boss in chapter 5, used up all of my ammo which was a decent amount and it didn't even seem to phase them... lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
On to chapter 6

The shooting range is really annoying :/

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I turned the difficulty down to casual which is probably a sin around here. I'm enjoying the game a lot more though.